The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 13, 2020, 10:59:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any engineers here? (Scientists are welcome too)  (Read 5787 times)
Flynn MacCallister
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Mad SCIENTIST!

« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2012, 12:42:16 am »

Physics PhD candidate here. I find there are many things about steampunk and science that I love for the same reason, but in labelling things, the two are quite separate for me.
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2012, 01:45:36 am »

Coprology?

Currently an undergrad in Bsc Applied Geology, and spending the forseeable future getting friendly with minerals in thin section.

Cross polar filters?

Damn things give me a headache. Shame really, as they seem to hold the key to my mystery.

With his stovepipe hat and his drainpipe trousers he was a credit to his ironmonger.

NEW Discerning Scoundrel blog
ElecTinker
Swab

United States United States

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2012, 04:53:01 am »

Electronics Engineering tech in training here, which helped give me a taste for the older tech. Part of this could be considered Teslapunk. Even though in my option, both Steampunk and Teslapunk seem to be different sides of the same coin, since ideals and tech from one can crop up in the other. And like an Electric Engineer, an EET must have a slight understanding on the old tech such as vacuum tubes and the ability to replace or marry them to current technology.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2012, 08:28:29 pm »

I once held the job title of "chief heating engineer" which basicly involved designing and installing wet central heating systems and training the apprentices, not exactly rocket science or brain surgery but it payed the bills for a while.

~SeVeN~

robotmastern
Snr. Officer

automaton craftsman extraordinaire

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2012, 03:18:11 am »

Mechanical engineering student here, also amateur  blacksmith. Yes my love for machines has driven me to the steampunk world.
Maeg
Snr. Officer
Wales Wales

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2012, 08:36:40 pm »

Coprology?

Currently an undergrad in Bsc Applied Geology, and spending the forseeable future getting friendly with minerals in thin section.

Cross polar filters?

Damn things give me a headache. Shame really, as they seem to hold the key to my mystery.

CPL indeed. It's gotten to the point where I ignore the birefringence chart and just describe the section as "technicolour 70's disco. With flares on".

And another thing. Why is it that the image in the lab book bears no relationship whatsoever with the homogenous grey-black crystaline mass laughing at me on the slide?  Undecided

M.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2012, 08:51:55 pm »

Coprology?

Cross polar filters?

CPL indeed. It's gotten to the point where I ignore the birefringence chart and just describe the section as "technicolour 70's disco. With flares on".

And another thing. Why is it that the image in the lab book bears no relationship whatsoever with the homogenous grey-black crystaline mass laughing at me on the slide?  Undecided

M.

Have you tried retuning the colour & contrast buttons (maybe turning the sound upto No 11)? Wink

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Dr von Zarkov
Zeppelin Captain

<Maddest Scientist>

« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2012, 04:56:05 pm »

I hold diplomas in theoretical chemistry, first hired as an aerospace materials engineer, solved their computer problems, and became a systems manager.

"The fact that I wear the protective coloration of sedate citizenship is a ruse of the fox — I learned it long ago."
– Loren Eiseley
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2012, 08:06:30 am »

Odd.  I haven't posted on this thread...  Two MSc degrees:  Aerospace Engineering (aerothermodynamics and hypersonic flows) and Mechanical Engineering (combustion and heat transfer).  Now unemployed and living entirely from Steampunk art.

JW

Physics PhD candidate here. I find there are many things about steampunk and science that I love for the same reason, but in labelling things, the two are quite separate for me.

My utmost respect, Lady MacAllister to anyone who has traversed the dark halls of graduate school to present PhD candidacy qualifying examinations...  Between that and the Doctoral Dissertation, we have to hire special staff to mop the blood off the floors (just kidding!).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 08:52:37 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2018, 10:32:42 pm »

Hello?

Anyone here?

Where are you?

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2018, 01:12:10 am »

Here, still here!
Having successfully completed the Master of History (not science) am progressing through a Master of Philosophy/Phd involving an exploration of the megalithic court tombs in Ireland and the court cairns of SW Scotland! Involves delving into the Neolithic sciences i.e., mathematics, astronomy, geometry, engineering and architecture - it's remarkable what you can build with long strips of leather, a plumb bob, sticks, stones and muscle power!
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2018, 12:08:11 pm »

That´s just my point.
Achrievements must be seen in the context of their time.
In the age of computer-controlled interlockings a mechanical interlocking from 1910 might look simple.
I just bought a series of three books about MODERN Interlocking systems dated 1913.
There the new festures are described as what they were.
The most modern stuff of their time.

Leather strips and muscle power were availabe, they worked with it.

NEw tools became available, they worked with them...
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2018, 01:34:48 pm »

Been working with hammers and spanners for the last 30 years, currently employed as a production assistant in the high end vacuum abatement market for the semiconductor sector.

Tread softly and carry a GBFO stick!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: