The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 20, 2019, 11:28:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virginia Steampunk events July 2011?  (Read 1220 times)
Araminta L. Tinhat
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: December 28, 2011, 02:02:45 pm »

Hi

We are planning a visit to Virginia from 12 July through 26 July (lop off top and tail for travel days).  Will be staying in Richmond and travelling out for visits to Charlottesville, Arlington, Luray, Williamsburg. 

Just wondering if anything special is going on steampunk wise.

"I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train."
- Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest, Act 2
Prof Ainsworth Halfmain
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 05:44:02 pm »

Do you mean July 2012, perchance?

Since this was posted 28 Dec 2011 that is my assumption. I don't know of anything specific at the moment, and steampunk activity in the general Richmond/Williamsburg area is somewhat limited at best, more practically described as almost non-existant in general. Strange for a city so steeped in Civil War heritage and that was a rather large and influential city during the entire Victorian era.

However, if I find anything that appears to be of general interest, I will be pleased to post it. Otherwise, I can give you some information on Richmond and Williamsburg that may be of interest for visiting while you are in the area.

Believe me, there exists no such dilemma as that in which a gentleman is placed when he is forced to reply to a blackguard. ~Edgar Allan Poe
Araminta L. Tinhat
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 08:56:27 pm »

I did mean 2012, of course.  I get so confused with all this time travel.  Thank you for your reply Prof. Halfmain.  I grew up in Hopewell Va and spent my summers knocking around Williamsburg as a child. 
Suggestions of buildings and sites of interest in the Richmond area would be greatly appreciated.  My English husband is keen on the American Civil War so we will be making some visits to battlefields and such.
Darkhound
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 06:07:52 am »

Might I suggest visits to the two historic residences of Wilmer McLean? His house near Mannassas was Beauregard's  headquarters and was attacked in the opening stages of First Mannassas or First Bull Run (the Confederates tended to name battles after towns. and the Union after streams, which is why so many Civil War battlefields have two names). He moved well out of the war's way, to Appomattox Court House, where Lee surrendered to Grant - in McLean's house! He used to say "the war began in my front yard and ended in my front parlor!"

"Stupidity is a curse with which even the Gods struggle in vain. Ignorance we can fix."
Virginia Ash
Swab

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 04:10:22 am »

Arlington to me means Mount Vernon and the Arlington Cemetery. Both are beautiful. Manassas might be out of your way from Richmond to Arlington but it's right off 66 which takes you out towards Luray from Arlington. July is usually when they hold the re-enactments for the battles there. You stand a good chance of seeing living historians at Stone House most weekends in the summer. Luray has a great maze. Its an half acre of fun. Virginia is full of historical landmarks from the Revolution and the Civil War. Don't miss the wineries. Virginia is full of them nowadays. Also Virginia is the 3rd largest producer of apples in the US. That means Cider. Albermarle Ciderworks isn't too far from Richmond.
Prof Ainsworth Halfmain
Snr. Officer

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 03:41:42 pm »

Hopefully of service, good lady Tinhat.

When visiting Richmond, I would recommend Tredegar Iron Works, one of the largest foundries in the South during the War Between the States period and manufacturer of most of the Confederacy's large guns. It is very steampunk in that respect and the takeover of the site by the National Park Service has greatly improved its collection and presentations. http://www.tredegar.org/

Certainly a drive down Monument Avenue to see many of the grand Victorian era houses is in order, and perhaps a visit to the Virginia Historical Society if you have time, again a collection of many early artifacts and exhibits including many from our mutual period of interest http://www.vahistorical.org/ as well as Maymont House and Gardens.

Also, don't miss the Main Street Station for possible period photo ops...http://www.richmondgov.com/MainStreetStation/index.aspx and possibly a brief visit to the nearby Poe Museum if you are a fan...http://www.poemuseum.org/index.php While you are there I can recommend Bottoms Up Pizza as a casual dining location under overhead RR tracks and a view of heavy early iron girders.

There is even a telephone museum, a modern communications contraption that I suspect will have much use in the future ahead of us, perhaps even displacing the telegraph! http://www.jackmansystems.com/telephonemuseum/

If you have a chance, send me a pm as the time draws near and perhaps we can arrange a visit, perhaps even allow your husband a chance to fire Civil War era reproduction firearms, something that I understand is quite difficult to have opportunity to do in the UK.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 03:52:08 pm by Prof Ainsworth Halfmain » Logged
Prof Ainsworth Halfmain
Snr. Officer

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 04:22:22 pm »

BTW, since you husband has a Civil War interest, here is a link to events in the area specifically related to that:
http://www.civilwartraveler.com/events/07-12.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: