The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 03, 2020, 09:20:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 55   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Log of the HMAS Marigold OOC Thread  (Read 74207 times)
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #375 on: January 11, 2012, 04:05:32 am »

So we're magically above the digsite, yes? or have we always been above it?
Also, what are we trying to achieve here? I think I missed that part of the briefing...

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler
United States United States

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #376 on: January 11, 2012, 04:19:00 am »

We flew from the town we were in to to as close to the dig site as we could get without getting blasted to pieces by the guns.  We are trying to get in the pyramid and stop the nefarious scheme going on within.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #377 on: January 11, 2012, 04:29:40 am »

Magically? I described the trip. All the way up the Nile to Gebel Barkal, but (probably) in a straight line. We were in a hurry because of Starling's uncle's peril and because Handthorpe was already at the door to the pyramid, as seen by Talbot's dark magic 'interrogation.'

Am I going too fast? I'd hate to leave anybody 'in the dust,' so to speak.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 04:32:34 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #378 on: January 11, 2012, 05:42:58 am »

Ladies and gentlemen, never fear. Your pilot has returned to you.

Grin

"Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you."

~ David St. Hubbins
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #379 on: January 11, 2012, 06:30:44 am »

Glad to have you back! There was this mountain, see, and-- well, you'll find out... Cheesy

Seriously, welcome back

--------
Here's a page on the Nubian Pyramids and Gebel Barkal and othe rplaces, for ideas of terrain and obstcles, etc.:
http://symbolankh.devhub.com/blog/54184-the-nubian-pyramids/
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #380 on: January 11, 2012, 07:47:36 am »

I hope I haven't invented mooks where there are none, I just kinda want to have Joe jump off the Marigold again.
Private Weasel
« Reply #381 on: January 11, 2012, 10:30:46 am »

I like mooks, the more the merrier.  Mooks, Goons, Ruffians.  Love them!
Evelyn Adler
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lady of Dorkness

« Reply #382 on: January 11, 2012, 11:12:55 am »

Magically? I described the trip. All the way up the Nile to Gebel Barkal, but (probably) in a straight line. We were in a hurry because of Starling's uncle's peril and because Handthorpe was already at the door to the pyramid, as seen by Talbot's dark magic 'interrogation.'

Am I going too fast? I'd hate to leave anybody 'in the dust,' so to speak.

Hm, I don't want to be a spoilsport, but - last time I checked, we were in Cairo, right?

Gebel Barkal is at least 1500 km upriver from there. I don't know how fast an airship flies, but I imagine it to be as fast as a steamtrain -which would make this a journey of days, not of mere hours. The way you described it, it felt as if we were there in maybe two hours.
And I would have appreciated a break of a few days, if only to heal.

Some kind of timeline would be helpful here, for me to see how much my char is still handicapped by previous injuries.

EDIT: I hope you don't understand this wrong. I love the story and I think you're a great storyteller! But it seems I was not the only one who felt the journey was a bit rushed. No offense, hm?  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 12:10:25 pm by Evelyn Adler » Logged

Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. (Cecil Beaton)
Evelyn Adler
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of Dorkness

« Reply #383 on: January 11, 2012, 11:14:17 am »

I hope I haven't invented mooks where there are none, I just kinda want to have Joe jump off the Marigold again.

My, you ARE jumpy, aren't you?  Grin

I like mooks, the more the merrier.  Mooks, Goons, Ruffians.  Love them!

I'll keep that in mind, Sir!
(yes, that is a threat!  Grin )
Evelyn Adler
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of Dorkness

« Reply #384 on: January 11, 2012, 12:15:00 pm »

...just one more thing!  Grin

This morning I had an IDEA (under the shower, no less! talk about clichés!) and I would like to throw my hat into the ring for the next adventure - provided you guys are still game and we'll survive the current one.

Since it has been mentioned in the story several times already, I thought I'd take the group to CHINA.
I've been there several times and I feel confident enough to throw every chinese stereotype at you and then some!  Wink

What do you think?
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #385 on: January 11, 2012, 12:46:47 pm »

I had a game run itself out in Macau once so I've had bad experiences...

Haha yeah sure, sounds great
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #386 on: January 11, 2012, 06:15:44 pm »

Lhapsang Foochong, anybody (I know, Iknow, I spelt it wrong)?

The RP Corsair referred to is The Mad Dash, Which pretty much died on the streets on Macau due to several factors, many of which were my fault.

It seems I do have a tendency to rush a bit; I'm just scared of having things wind down to a stop from which a return is unlikely (that's happened on several RPs I've been on, sometimes my fault, sometimes not). Too, there can come a point at which, for whatever reason, people just get tired or irreversibly sidetracked, and no longer have the gumption, or the desire, to keep it going; that's why I 'hatched the plot,' so to speak, of making 'short' RPs thinking that it might be easier to keep up interest long enough to finish that way (I can't really say that it was completely my idea; it has been bounced about in various places I've been in the past).

I can sympathize with the 'reasonableness test' view of storylining; that's what I call it when I or others question whether it's really feasible for something like an airship to go above a certain speed, or a question the idea of something else based on RL scientific and/or technological issues. I would have to agree that a normal airship like the Goodyear or other blimps would be hard pressed to go above 60 mph, unless they have a gale-force tailwind. A rigid-framed zeppelin might make a better speed, but it's canvas skin would be a drag problem at such speeds, whether 'doped' or not.

Ships such as the Marigold or the Artemis, however, have not only rigid but armored skins, which in terms of RL is impossible, as is a steam powerplant to propel it (the weight of fuel and water required to haul either, not to mention both, actually makes it impossible in RL for the ship to get off of the ground. (Jake Van Slatt posted  the formula in a some thread or other a couple or three years ago, something like so many (might have been several hundred, I can't really remember) tons of coal required to heat sufficient water to create sufficient steam to provide sufficient motive power to drive an aerial steamship a certain depressingly-miniscule number of miles, versus the lifting power of the volume of gas (or 'lofting') in most zeppelin envelopes, which is limited by the necessity of locating other things within the envelopes for teh sake of airflow along the airframe if nothing else.

The Marigold's already flown through and against the sheer raw power of a superhurricane, so we already know both her airframe and her engines are capable of things far above the norm.

Still and all, I'm perfectly happy to rewrite and rethink if everyone else thinks it's necessary; this is everybody else's game too, after all.

Of course, I'm not sure exactly how to do so at this stage.  Corsair, is it possible/feasible to erase all of the posts before the departure from Cairo, but keep everything before that??
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 06:32:20 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #387 on: January 11, 2012, 06:21:54 pm »

I think the only thing we need to remove will be the stuff after the captain called us together i think anything before that can happen on our trip ti the site.  That will also make for a few more interludes with the archaeologists and perhaps aunty.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #388 on: January 11, 2012, 06:39:00 pm »

I'd say that sounds more attractive to me than just erasing all teh way back (I meant that as a discussion point only, in actuality). What do the rest of us think?
Evelyn Adler
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of Dorkness

« Reply #389 on: January 11, 2012, 06:48:14 pm »

It's lapsang souchong actually.  Smiley

I wouldn't say something has to be changed or deleted, as long as we agree that one or two days have passed. I just don't want to rush from one fight to the next.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #390 on: January 11, 2012, 07:46:40 pm »

We could alter things a little after all most of the time spent traveling we would have been resting and preparing right?
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #391 on: January 11, 2012, 07:49:17 pm »

It's lapsang souchong actually.  Smiley

I wouldn't say something has to be changed or deleted, as long as we agree that one or two days have passed. I just don't want to rush from one fight to the next.

Well, damn, there go all those beautiful puns about Tea Fu... Cry

I like that solution. How 'bout the other folks?
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #392 on: January 11, 2012, 08:08:13 pm »

I'm fine with it; I was AFK for most of that section anyway, so there's not too much for me to change.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #393 on: January 11, 2012, 08:18:03 pm »

I figure Redburn and Starling spent a lot of the time just talking and relaxing while starling tried to fix her wings.  I think too many important bits of them got crushed for them to work again but she will keep trying to fix them because pf sentamental value.
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #394 on: January 11, 2012, 08:30:17 pm »

Yes, I assumed that's more or less what they had been doing. And hopefully the wings will work again.

I feel like Redburn needs a new piece of gear, but for the life of me I can't decide what it should be!
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #395 on: January 11, 2012, 08:42:39 pm »

Well perhaps a weapon that swings out it would fit with his dance like fighting style or an eletro sword because that is just awesome in general.
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #396 on: January 11, 2012, 09:08:34 pm »

Ooh! I just had a thought! Modifying his beloved sword to include a gun barrel...utterly impractical but infinitely cool. Hmm...the planning begins.
Cpt Wallace
Snr. Officer

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #397 on: January 11, 2012, 09:41:31 pm »

You mean like these

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #398 on: January 11, 2012, 09:51:20 pm »

Exactly. And specifically the first one. Redburn uses a Scottish backsword with a basket hilt; very much like the one in the picture. Is that a mortuary sword by any chance?
Evelyn Adler
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of Dorkness

« Reply #399 on: January 12, 2012, 12:04:43 am »

I know it has been mentioned before, but I can't find it in the other OOC thread: in which year does our story take place? Was it 1883?

Also I would appreciate a bit of feedback on the next story idea.

- Would you be interested in another story, after we survived the Temple of Doom?
- I thought, a change of GM is in order, to give MWBailey a bit of a break - we've had several offers, Private Weasel, myself and I seem to remember, Corsair as well. What do you think?
- would China be an interesting location for you? or would you rather go somewhere else?

My story would take place several months (half a year at least) after this adventure ended, to give everyone the chance for some rest and character development. Apart from the location being somewhere in China, I don't want to give away any details yet.  Wink
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 55   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: