The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 03, 2020, 09:41:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 55   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Log of the HMAS Marigold OOC Thread  (Read 74209 times)
Evelyn Adler
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lady of Dorkness

« Reply #350 on: January 09, 2012, 02:38:57 pm »

Ah, admit it, you're just hoping for his lovely daughter, Liselotte von Bahnhof, to appear as well!  Tongue

EDIT: a shared ...nemesis? well, as long as I can have the stereotypical kung-fu chick catfight with her!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 02:43:30 pm by Evelyn Adler » Logged

Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. (Cecil Beaton)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #351 on: January 09, 2012, 07:49:08 pm »

I have GOT to start reading the game thread before coming in here; I have absolutely no clue whats going on  Cheesy

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #352 on: January 10, 2012, 12:01:15 am »

Ahhh, nothing like sandwiched-in character development Cheesy

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
Evelyn Adler
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of Dorkness

« Reply #353 on: January 10, 2012, 12:13:13 am »

Yeah, with all that action we can't have it any other way!
But I really liked that bit about Rooney!  Smiley
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #354 on: January 10, 2012, 12:34:17 am »

Cap'n Wallace, that bit of plot revelation follows pretty closely what I had in mind, so no worries this time; but next time please PM me with the idea so we can coordinate it.

It should come as no surprise that Rourke already knew the contents of the pyramid (yep, he lied about it. He's at least partly a spy, after all); That's one part of the multilevel foreshadowing that was going on in the meeting with Mr. Ing. He'd have to keep it a secret just in case the site was not compromised. Sort of a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' scenario.

The bit about Handthorpe being one of 'her' 'projects' refers to his being a sort of human consort who hoped/hopes to be turned, the idea being that drinking small amounts of her blood would give him certain useful attributes (such as his apparent 'un-killable-ness'). But it's past-tense. He's no longer hers, or rather, he's no longer at her side -- but death will most likely cause him to turn, hence Rourke's reluctance to actually try to kill him (that hasnt actually surfaced yet, but probably will soon). It would be an exquisite turn of events if Handthorpe got killed completely by accident, in that light... (evil laughter ensues).

It ought to be obvious by now that'her' and 'Mina' and 'Miss Harker' are one and the same, and that we're talking about Mina Harker, Dracula's 'aborted' bride. (No, Alucard' isn't going to show up). The idea in my mind about the 'invitation' to Rourke involves giving future generations a modicum of protection against the thing(s) in the pyramid, and a sort of nemesis to Handthorpe. The dagger is as far as I was planning to go along that line.

Who is and/or what is Mr. Ing? One might find hints as to his or his family's Origin in Norse Mythology and Esoterica...

----
Rourke's attitude and actions are in character only. Having had experience with teh seductive lure of vampirism, and being familiar with the sensation of a powerful dead or undead presence, he's suspicious of Talbot's motives in having anything like that or closely akin on board.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 12:44:06 am by MWBailey » Logged
Evelyn Adler
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of Dorkness

« Reply #355 on: January 10, 2012, 08:35:34 am »

When I first read about sharp-toothed Mrs. Harker, I already thought, which canon? Are we in the same universe as the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen now?  Wink

And Mr. Ing? Has someone here read American Gods by Neil Gaiman? (Silly question, I know!)
I have a hunch...

My idea,even before I read about Handthorpe being turned into a vampire, was to behead him, next time we kill him. That is usually the (idiot-proof) way to make sure they stay down, whatever "they" are.

Ok, sometimes not even that works. We once had an undead mage, whose head had been bitten off by a hydra. I - the group cleric - told them to bury head and body in two separate graves. But the group did not comply and buried him in one. And of course, the mage came back. (He was a royal pain, the same one who had been killed by reading a spellbook without checking for Explosive Runes in the first place).

Cpt Wallace
Snr. Officer

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #356 on: January 10, 2012, 09:29:12 am »

I tried to keep it a vague as possible with a hint of things to come, I rolled together some previous posts from stella and yourself without giving anything away hence the not seeing into the crypt etc etc

I'll PM if he attempts it again though I doubt it.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #357 on: January 10, 2012, 10:26:42 am »

When I first read about sharp-toothed Mrs. Harker, I already thought, which canon? Are we in the same universe as the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen now?  Wink

Not necessarily; just because Miss Harker's in it doesn't make it the LOEG universe; it's actually closer to the Steam London Universe of my Between the Threads stories, in which (when I get around to writing some more of it) the eminent Miss Harker is/will be the Grand Master (Grand Dragon?) of an entire British isles-wide vampire coven, based in London.  Not the same, but similar. It's basically just one permutation of the infinitely many possible permutations of the story touched upon by Mr. Stoker. Hellsing, LOEG, the various fics of same, the dracula movies, Our own RL universe, all are other possible permutations of the same bit of history. It's all down to what happened along the way to make each version what it became or will become. (cue Twilight Zone theme Cheesy)

And Mr. Ing? Has someone here read American Gods by Neil Gaiman? (Silly question, I know!)
I have a hunch...

Sorry to disappoint, but no, I haven't. The fact that you mention it here makes me want to read it, however.

Mr. Ing is another example of a Historical permutation, a possible outcome, given that it was possible/probable for the original entity (Ing the warrior) to actually exist (I don't know/can't remember if he did or not. I like to think that his is similar to the Odin legend, whether thats valid or likely or not). Anyway. What if the great warrior known as Ing were real and left descendants on the Earth? Or, what if he survived and were still alive at the time of the storyline of this RP? Those are just two possibilities for Mr. Ing's origins; there are others. I'd prefer to leave it 'up for grabs,' as it were.

My idea,even before I read about Handthorpe being turned into a vampire, was to behead him, next time we kill him. That is usually the (idiot-proof) way to make sure they stay down, whatever "they" are.

Ok, sometimes not even that works. We once had an undead mage, whose head had been bitten off by a hydra. I - the group cleric - told them to bury head and body in two separate graves. But the group did not comply and buried him in one. And of course, the mage came back. (He was a royal pain, the same one who had been killed by reading a spellbook without checking for Explosive Runes in the first place).

Those are all interesting ideas; I was actually toying with having him be brought back in similar fashion to the way that Otto Von Chriek from the Discworld novels is resurrected after he uses flash powder. Maybe a hired digger is re-burying the door to the pyramid and accidentally falls on the shovel and cuts his hand. OOPS! Some of Handthorpe's ashes have blown in around the doorposts... Cheesy

Just a few of the many weird thoughts bouncing around in my fevered skull... Grin
Evelyn Adler
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of Dorkness

« Reply #358 on: January 10, 2012, 10:45:04 am »

Right. I'll be channeling some Buffy then.  Grin

...and you MUST read American Gods! I know you'll love it! Wonderful, wonderful book by a brilliant author!
(Ok, I may go all fangirlie where Neil Gaiman is concerned... um..)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 10:46:52 am by Evelyn Adler » Logged
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #359 on: January 10, 2012, 01:34:53 pm »

I believe there was a Vampiric template in D&D 3.5 which stated that the vampire could only be killed if the body was burned and the ashes suspended in holy water, but even so there was the chance that if the ashes were removed and dried the vampire could be resurrected. I always wanted to use a villain that truly couldn't die.

And Ms. Adler, I haven't read American Gods, but I have read most of the Sandman stories and Marvel 1602. Neil Gaiman is definitely one of my favorite authors; sadly none of my friends really know or care about his works.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:36:46 pm by walkthebassline » Logged

"Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you."

~ David St. Hubbins
Cpt Wallace
Snr. Officer

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #360 on: January 10, 2012, 01:54:09 pm »

I was very tempted to have Mr Jonathan Croup or Mr Edward Vandemar of the Old Firm as my character

One of my favourite books is Neverwhere by the way and Neil Gainman is a capital bloke I managed to get him to come and do a reading of The Graveyard Book at my wife's school (I still haven't read that one yet)

Next to David Gemmell and Dan Abnett he completes my favourite authors
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 02:10:06 pm by Cpt Wallace » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #361 on: January 10, 2012, 10:16:16 pm »

Ok, who's telepathically streaming Rob Zombie/White Zombie tunes into my head... Wink
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #362 on: January 10, 2012, 10:17:56 pm »

*raises hand sheepishly*

That'd be me, boss. Sorry. Grin
Evelyn Adler
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of Dorkness

« Reply #363 on: January 10, 2012, 10:48:09 pm »

I was wondering, who'd be sending on that frequency.  Tongue
Cpt Wallace
Snr. Officer

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #364 on: January 10, 2012, 11:06:20 pm »

The bullets are basically taser rounds enough to knock a man out cold for a number of hours

The truncheon is a shock weapon that delivers an explosive burst of electricity that will send any victim flying.

I've been reading Captain Swing and Dark Heresy
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #365 on: January 11, 2012, 01:35:37 am »

Don't fret, this isn't as close to being over as it might appear (mwa ha ha haaa...)

I'm thinking about having the Local Blue Man contingent go all bloodthirsty and Mahdist and enter the battle -- against BOTH sides "our swords will run with the blood of the infidels" (kudos to he or she who can identify what movie that's from -- hint: Sean Connery's in it...).

I wonder if Rourke should fly or fall into the battle...
Evelyn Adler
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of Dorkness

« Reply #366 on: January 11, 2012, 01:46:49 am »

What alternatives are there to flying? Issa won't take the wings.
Private Weasel
« Reply #367 on: January 11, 2012, 02:08:58 am »

Neither will Hawthorne, mostly because of Issa admittedly, the wings are for escape.  I'm thinking the airship must have a basket that can be lowered.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #368 on: January 11, 2012, 02:11:40 am »

Then the ones with wings could make sire the ones in the basket were not shot out of the sky.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Private Weasel
« Reply #369 on: January 11, 2012, 02:17:38 am »

That would be nice Cheesy
Evelyn Adler
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of Dorkness

« Reply #370 on: January 11, 2012, 02:18:09 am »

Neither will Hawthorne, mostly because of Issa admittedly, [...]

Aaaw!  Kiss

The idea with the basket is ... strange. Looks like a zombie food delivery basket to me. But if there is no other way... *shrug*
(I can so feel with Issa here. Which may be the reason I gave her that weakness in the first place.)
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #371 on: January 11, 2012, 02:20:49 am »

Starling has Old Betsy tho and with some of the "oranges" from the warehouse too so clearing out a safe landing spot should be simple. 
Private Weasel
« Reply #372 on: January 11, 2012, 02:24:26 am »

I hate to throw away a bag of explosives so early, but if we get lowered into a massive crowd of them, I have a solution to clearing some room.  We might end up a bit... on fire... bit only a bit.
Evelyn Adler
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of Dorkness

« Reply #373 on: January 11, 2012, 02:29:54 am »

Only a bit. Oh well. Sometimes you worry me. Only a bit.

Right - can we just assume Issa is there with full weaponry (rifle, revolver, scimitar, throwing darts) and is dragged along? Because if I try to explore her mindset at the moment, I'll go bonkers - and besides it's half past one here and I have trouble stringing sentences together. (Foreign language *cough*)

Good night, try not to kill her if you please!  Smiley
Private Weasel
« Reply #374 on: January 11, 2012, 02:35:38 am »

It's half past one here and too and it's not a foreign language! Okay, it might be for you bilingual types and the only words I remember in German at the moment are train station but... Okay, I see your point.

Time for bed... Try not to kill us before we're about tomorrow Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 55   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: