Author Topic: Bowie Knife Fighting question:  (Read 1987 times)

Vagabond GentleMan

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Clockwork Sepia
    • Dr. Z's Medicine Show
Bowie Knife Fighting question:
« on: November 30, 2011, 03:17:44 am »
The Bowie knife was a popular American armament both North and South all through the 19th century...it was a popular dueling weapon in the South (e.g. James Bowie's Sandbar Duel, etc.) and there were even structured Bowie Knife dueling schools in New Orleans.

Does anyone know where I might find instruction in *specifically* Bowie-Knife fighting anywhere in the DC metro area?  DC, VA, MD, etc?

I thought maybe through Civil War re-creationists, through late-era WMA groups, etc...but have come up with squat.

Any leads?
Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.

walkthebassline

• Zeppelin Captain
Re: Bowie Knife Fighting question:
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 04:00:09 am »
Well I found this, which might be helpful.

http://bowieknifefightsfighters.blogspot.com/

Other than that I really don't know of any groups that would be specific to the bowie knife. Anywhere that offered classes or instruction on knife fighting in general would probably be helpful though, and there is the possibility that people within those circles might be able to direct you better.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.
"Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you."

~ David St. Hubbins

Vagabond GentleMan

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Clockwork Sepia
    • Dr. Z's Medicine Show
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 07:25:53 am »
It's good advice, for sure...I've done Fillipino stuff, SCA stuff, ARMA stuff...the ONLY lead I gleaned was actually through a Bartitsu Forum...because of THEIR connections in the WMA community, they were able to recommend a SINGLE fellow who did 19th century Naval Bording arts...which included Bowie knives as well as cutlasses and some sort of naval pike, etc.

Close, I suppose...but not close enough for me to want to travel down to North Carlonia to hunt down his instruction >shrugs<.

Thanks SO MUCH for the link, though!  With a little luck, forming connections in that jawnt might direct me to the right folks...appreciated, brother!

walkthebassline

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 11:55:41 am »
I'm very glad I could be of assistance.  :)

HR

• Zeppelin Captain
  • If at first you dont succeed, hit it with a hammer
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 05:42:28 pm »
Talhoffer has a section on dagger fighting

Uncle Arthur

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 04:39:40 am »
It has been conjectured that navaha folding knives originating in Spain were part of the inspiration for the Bowie. Look into navaja fighting.
If at first you don't succeed , CHEAT!

Vagabond GentleMan

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Clockwork Sepia
    • Dr. Z's Medicine Show
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 06:47:27 am »
Good advice, but I'm a step ahead of you!

I've done what I've been able to do studying Bowie knife fighting through the written word, and as you said, Navaja (actually the type of blade that functions as my EDC) technique is one of the primary influences of structure bowie-knife fighting technique, the others being saber fencing and Scottish backsword fighting (most any of the techniques involving the use of the False Edge were born of it).

I've purchased and read the only known period-written book on Navaja fighting...but finding physical instruction is equally, if not more, difficult than physical Bowie-knife instruction, alas...