The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 22, 2014, 08:32:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum highlights on twitter: @BG_couk

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk night in Leicester? looking for interest  (Read 1771 times)
Auntie Ludmilla
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2011, 12:09:52 pm »

I would be interested in attending either a city center evening do, or possibly trading at a market in the day. It does depend on public transport though. If I go to an evening do, it's nice to be able to have a few beers, which means being within walking distance of the station, for the train back to Derby. Weekdays are fine with us, my other half works in Leicester so it's a nice break in the commute... Though weekends are also fine.
Could I suggest that perhaps a few small table top stalls and a couple of bands or acts, in the back room of a pub, might be a cost effective start? Events have been poorly attended because of the financial strain everyone is under, and I think that is only likely to get worse as people struggle to pay off Christmas debts. I don't know Leicester well, but have attended very successful burlesque nights at the Globe pub. It has a small stage, and room for a couple of bar table stalls round the sides of the room..... I'm sure there are many similar venues in the city center, which would provide an intimate and cosy  atmosphere. Might be wiser than gambling a lot of money on a large out of town venue, which would rule out passing trade and those relying on public transport. It can also be difficult to get any kind of atmosphere going in a large but half empty room.... Better a little overcrowded.

"Ifind that wine, when taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkeness" Oscar Wilde
http://www.etsy.com/shop/belladluna
Trinitytrashuk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2011, 12:29:10 pm »

The Space Centre may be a bit ambitious, that is a formal conference venue and that can be pricey.

Actually we are very resonable and I happen to know one of the Managers there  Grin

If you are looking for a venue close to transport links, with a bar and stage then you need to speak to either http://www.themusicianpub.co.uk/ or http://www.firebugbar.co.uk/.

Both have room, stage and bar to hold a nice event in the evening.

Alternatively there is Jongleurs that have the upstairs room that is usually used for comedy, but can be hired in the week. It is within walking distance of the train and bus station.

There is also the Little Theatre, close to Jongleurs, which is run as an amateur theatre venue, but hire is also available.  It would cost a little more, but maybe selling tickets for an evening stage show would help cover the costs and ensure the traders are not charged too much (maybe ask The Cogkneys, Broadarrow Jack and the Count to pull together something a little more commercial to support this.

Other venues close to the train station include The Grand Hotel, but it has become a Stag and Hen party hotel recently, so be prepared for chavs.

Obvioulsy the National Space Centre is another option and there are many ways you can do this, depending upon dates.

Spook
Deck Hand
England England

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2012, 01:43:17 pm »

My band GLADSTONE would certainly travel up from Northampton, in fact we have been making some enquiries regarding the Soundhouse in Leicester and a possible Steampunk event there in the not too distant future.

Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us.
Trinitytrashuk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2012, 03:06:10 pm »

The Soundhouse is small and you don't get exclusivity that an event of this nature should call for (local beer monster regulars).
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Master Tinkerer

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2012, 05:20:12 pm »

My band GLADSTONE would certainly travel up from Northampton, in fact we have been making some enquiries regarding the Soundhouse in Leicester and a possible Steampunk event there in the not too distant future.

Now you tell us, there were 92 steampunks in the Holiday Inn in Corby over New Year.

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
The Governess
Zeppelin Overlord
England England

cooke_lm
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2012, 08:46:29 pm »

Now you tell us, there were 92 steampunks in the Holiday Inn in Corby over New Year.

With Mr Spook amongst them, I do believe...

(please no Trek puns!)

CRIMSON CLOCKS
Crimson in tooth and claw, we disdain (pah!) all attempts to neatly categorise us.
Lugubrious lyrics sung sadistically over trouser trembling bass beats and relentless drums in the deep, all washed down with lashings of vivacious violin and orpheic oboe...
The Crimson Hour is close at hand
www.facebook.com/CrimsonClocks
www.CrimsonClocks.com
http://crimsonclocks.blogspot.co.uk
Spook
Deck Hand
England England

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2012, 05:55:00 pm »

The Soundhouse is small and you don't get exclusivity that an event of this nature should call for (local beer monster regulars).

I don't like the sound of local beer monsters! In that case we shall follow where more enlightened people lead, if we're allowed next time we would be very happy to play a NYE gig it was a great weekend in Corby.  Wink
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Master Tinkerer

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2012, 06:21:38 pm »

Please contact the Major, but have all your details ready, the Major has more on his plate than Mr Creosote at an all you can eat buffet
AmethystLongcat
Gunner

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2012, 03:47:59 pm »

You know there's always the Abbey Pumping Station Museum, its a Victorian pump house and they're always looking for new groups to visit the venue. There's even a large venue room on site with a kitchen area. Guided tours too!

Proffesor Molly Mockett
Deck Hand
England England

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2012, 10:42:27 pm »

I'm beginning to regret leaving Leicester Sad

slightly off topic - is Firebug the old Lamplighters?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: