The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2014, 05:33:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum highlights on twitter: @BG_couk

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk night in Leicester? looking for interest  (Read 1980 times)
Sebastian Gaunt
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

I have the key to the TARDIS!

« on: November 26, 2011, 12:21:53 pm »

I was just wondering, if I ran a SteamPunk night in Leicester would anyone be interested in coming along? Possibly something akin to the Rifle Club night at Whitby in format, some variety act style entertainment and then music to jump around to. Its just an idea at the moment, looking to see who may like to come along, and maybe even entertain?

"The fastest way to travel is by Gaslight"
sebastian Inkerman
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

scrounger and builder of mildly interesting stuff.

S_Inkerman
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 03:53:18 pm »

Depending on dates etc. her ladyship and myself would be interested in coming along as it's on our doorstep.

Velkan
Snr. Officer
England England

Alpin R. Autumngrey

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 07:55:38 pm »

I would also like to express my interest in this

Told that i look like a victorian teacher.....kinda proud of that Smiley
Paulstaf Green
Gunner
England England

The Topper Above a Sea of Mediocrity

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 10:15:25 pm »

I live near enough to come along, might be possible to round up a few fellows too.

'Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd ?
Not tho' the soldier knew
Some one had blunder'd
ladyelsie
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 12:28:03 am »

Again dates and work permitting, We would be interested.
The Governess
Zeppelin Overlord
England England

cooke_lm
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 05:22:42 pm »

Are you looking for bands, too?  We may be available if you're interested...

CRIMSON CLOCKS
Crimson in tooth and claw, we disdain (pah!) all attempts to neatly categorise us.
Lugubrious lyrics sung sadistically over trouser trembling bass beats and relentless drums in the deep, all washed down with lashings of vivacious violin and orpheic oboe...
The Crimson Hour is close at hand
www.facebook.com/CrimsonClocks
www.CrimsonClocks.com
http://crimsonclocks.blogspot.co.uk
Count Rostov
Officer

count_rostov
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 07:18:15 pm »

Depending on dates and times, in principle I'd be happy to compere and/or put on a sketch or two...

"The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions."
- Dostoevsky
Professor Higgins
Snr. Officer

What, what !!!

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 08:53:26 pm »

Id also attend dates and times permitting.
Ms Fisher
Snr. Officer

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 11:56:11 pm »

yes I would be-if you want any help organising, drop me a pm (as long as its after the 9th of december) xxx
Sebastian Gaunt
Snr. Officer

I have the key to the TARDIS!

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 11:56:12 pm »

I am looking at a venue at the moment, any help would be cool. Probably looking at January-ish as Christmas has us all busy, yet to pin down a more specific date. Would a week day be a problem? or a friday/saturday be preferable?
nicromanov
Zeppelin Captain

look out for that !....

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 06:04:17 pm »

i have aband ,metal and rock ect, send me a pm and some dates and il galdly nip down and maybe perform Smiley

"curse this infernal machine of the devil!!"
FellfromGrace
Snr. Officer

fellfromgrace
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 10:37:46 pm »

Ooh I'm close enough to attend, so mark me down as a highly probable

“A civilized society is one which tolerates eccentricity to the point of doubtful sanity.” – Robert Frost
steampunk style personal adornment, items of postal communication and small collages - http://www.fellfromgrace.com
Mimsy Beaucoup
Zeppelin Admiral

interests: Corsets, hats, shoes, parasols

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 09:01:49 pm »

Depending on dates and times The Cogkneys may be able to perform if you would like us xx

Jonny Zygen
Gunner
England England

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 07:37:36 pm »

If you are looking for any more bands Birthrite would be up for this depending on the date.
You could have quite an event if you can get all the bands that have registered an interest involved.

i have aband ,metal and rock ect, send me a pm and some dates and il galdly nip down and maybe perform Smiley
any links to your site/tunes etc ? allways good to hear a new steampunk band.
also put your self on the uk steampunk bands map if you have not allready done so
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,30566.0.html

Professor Hesketh
Snr. Officer
England England

Astonishist

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 08:02:59 pm »

Certainly we would come along as we live only 10 miles away.  I'll keep watching the thread etc.  Nice to see a mention of Leicester for once!  Anyone remember a punk album from the 70's (and so the original punk) called "Where the hell is Leicester?"  Don't know who it was by but the credo seems to have been taken up by the media...  Anyhoo, off to Corby in a few days so doubtless will see some of you there!
Jonny Zygen
Gunner
England England

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 08:39:14 pm »

Anyone remember a punk album from the 70's (and so the original punk) called "Where the hell is Leicester?"  Don't know who it was by but the credo seems to have been taken up by the media... 

If this is what you're after it looks like you can downoad it from here.
http://shotgunsolution.blogspot.com/2010/04/where-hell-is-leicester-various-artists.html
Miss Trixy
Inactive Users
Swab

England England

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 10:08:27 pm »

Hello, doesn't seem to be much happening around Leicester at the moment, (but having only just moved to the big city from lil' Kettering, I'm not in the know)... so I would defiantly love to encourage a Steampunk event Cheesy 

"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong." Joseph Chilton Pearce
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Master Tinkerer

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 10:14:12 pm »

Perhaps what you need is the equivalent of Dr Geof's Steampunk Market in Leeds, that is a nice little market during the day, with entertainment later on.

The Leeds venue is a Victorian Church which is now a community performance space. Is there anything like that in Leicester?

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
FellfromGrace
Snr. Officer

fellfromgrace
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 12:35:52 pm »

There is a big covered market in Leicester and they may.let out bits of it - the guy to contact is Joseph Harkness at Leics city council. I can post email address later if you are interested, as only on my tablet at the moment and not too good on keyboard or navigation yet!
sebastian Inkerman
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

scrounger and builder of mildly interesting stuff.

S_Inkerman
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 02:21:12 pm »

There is a big covered market in Leicester and they may.let out bits of it - the guy to contact is Joseph Harkness at Leics city council. I can post email address later if you are interested, as only on my tablet at the moment and not too good on keyboard or navigation yet!

I like the idea of a market however is it a bit too close to Leeds? Maybe we could have them in different quarters of the year so that no-one would lose out in terms of having to decide which market to go to.

As regards using the covered market in Leicester...

***Shudders***

Not that I am denigrating the historic covered market, but I'd personally feel more comfortable with an indoor venue that possibly charges a small entrance fee to keep the town scrotes away. Also if they could serve a decent cup of tea that doesn't come in a polystyrene cup. all the better.
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Master Tinkerer

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 06:33:47 pm »

I like the look of the Belgrave Centre on Rothley Street. It is the nearest to the Leeds venue as regards access and facilities.

Definitely not Leicester Market.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 06:37:47 pm by Mr Peter Harrow, Esq » Logged
FellfromGrace
Snr. Officer

fellfromgrace
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2011, 07:52:36 pm »

yes the market's a bit dire - sole advantage is HUGE stall spaces, didn't think of normals when I suggested it.   Belgrave Centre -do you mean the Belgrave Community Centre -  which has a police station in it? depends if we want some passing trade or not as not sure there would be much here. How about the Space Centre which Trinity Trash could arrange for us and is cheap and easy to park at? don't know what the space inside is like though. I have done stalls in the Belgrave Hall Museum (lovely, regency house) and the historic (medaeival) Guildhall, but these were run by museums service themselves.  I'll ask TT on facebook and see what she recommends - didn't go to Leeds so can't compare really ... but would prob like a stall, depending on price
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Master Tinkerer

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 08:16:14 pm »

You really aren't going to get passing trade for this sort of thing, its the tyoe if thing people seek out, and you likely won't be able to get a City Centre venue at low cost, whatever the City. They will usually be booked well in advance and will charge money up front.

The Leeds venue isn't City Centre, but proved to be attractive and accessible, you need to look for something similar. The Space Centre may be a bit ambitious, that is a formal conference venue and that can be pricey.
Mimsy Beaucoup
Zeppelin Admiral

interests: Corsets, hats, shoes, parasols

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2011, 08:55:30 pm »

Perhaps someone should talk to Malika about the space centre?
FellfromGrace
Snr. Officer

fellfromgrace
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2011, 09:35:59 pm »

Perhaps someone should talk to Malika about the space centre?

I've just messaged her on facebook, Mimsy  Smiley, to see if she has any other ideas as well ...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: