Author Topic: Virginia Steampunk Egyptologists: VMFA Dress Like An Egyptian Day!  (Read 1760 times)

Prof Ainsworth Halfmain

• Snr. Officer
As part of the opening of the new exhibit Mummy: Secrets of the Tomb, the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts is offerring free admission on the opening day of the exhibit, Sat Nov 19 from 10am-Noon, for the first 200 people dressed like an egyptian. I presume this means those also portraying TOC egyptologists as some occasionally do in steampunk style.

Although a member and thus not in need of the free admission offer, it should be a hoot for all who attend. I plan to go in proper khaki field attire, pith helmet, Willson sideshield goggles and magnifying lens at hand. Even if you don't make the opening festivities, it should be an excellent exhibit if you are visiting the area while it is on display.

This is the announcement link:  http://www.vmfa.state.va.us/Calendar_and_Events/General/Dress_Like_an_Egyptian.aspx

On opening day of Mummy: Secrets of the Tomb, the first 200 visitors in Egyptian costume will be admitted free. We will award 40 free tickets per 30-minute time slot, so put on your linen wrappings, gladiator sandals and kohl eyeliner early! NOTE: You must be dressed at least half in costume. No spears or other props allowed.
Believe me, there exists no such dilemma as that in which a gentleman is placed when he is forced to reply to a blackguard. ~Edgar Allan Poe

Capt. Dirigible

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.
Re: Virginia Steampunk Egyptologists: VMFA Dress Like An Egyptian Day!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 11:19:04 am »
As part of the opening of the new exhibit Mummy: Secrets of the Tomb, the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts is offerring free admission on the opening day of the exhibit, Sat Nov 19 from 10am-Noon, for the first 200 people dressed like an egyptian

FEZ FRENZY!!!!  ;D
I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

KABAR2

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 08:23:20 pm »
unless they wore pith helmets and fez's in the time of the Pharos’s I don't think anyone Steampunk will get in......
it sounds more like an ancient Egyptian theme... not Steampunk or Archeologist........ Still might be fun to mess with their minds a little......
Alter-ego Baron Rinehold Tredmore on Sparegoggles

Prof Ainsworth Halfmain

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 11:00:44 am »
The exhibit was simply splendid!

This was a touring exhibit of artifacts from the British Museum, its only appearance in the US and then it moves to Australia. It was well attended for the opening. Apparently I and my companion were the only ones who thought to dress as egyptologists/archeologists and as it turned out it was a big hit with both museum staff and visitors. There weren't as many people there dressed as egyptians as I thought there may be, but there were a few. As we walked into the 3D film preview where about 60 people were seated a few turned around to look then the whole room turned enmass. My companion said she heard a little boy say "I want to play that!" as we walked by. The museum folks were very complementary, many came up to comment and the curator of the exhibit came by to chat for a while and said they should just pay us to walk around the exhibit. One of the docents said he was a little afraid to talk to me at first since with the outfit, beard and austere countenance he thought I might be one of the people responsible for collecting the exhibit artifacts. Another as we were exiting came up to say he had told everyone in the cafe about us and if we stopped by they would give us lunch.

There was no photography allowed in the actual exhibit, but they had an official photographer who was taking photos of the visitors. There were a couple of young ladies dressed in linen as egyptians talking with my friend and I at one point so she came up to take several photos. One particularly funny moment as we were all talking was when a fellow dressed like a mummy came by with his daughter (as Cleopatra) and I said "Hey, I've been looking for you!" He looked at me for a moment then called me by name inquisitively. You could have knocked me over. His head was completely covered except for glasses, so I said "Hey, I didn't recognize you." Turns out he was someone I knew from work a number of years ago so we all had a good laugh about that. I left information with the official photographer so that she may send me some of the photographs she took, but in the meantime, here are a couple from the permanent collection where photography is allowed.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 12:00:48 pm by Prof Ainsworth Halfmain »

Capt. Dirigible

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 11:53:35 am »
he thought I might be one of the people responsible for collecting the exhibit artifacts.

And you couldn't get a higher compliment on your outfit than that! Good show!