The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 20, 2014, 09:51:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum highlights on twitter: @BG_couk

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tears and Tea - Comfort Food  (Read 2589 times)
Mrs. Whatsit
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2012, 06:36:01 am »

Grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup.  Relic from childhood, but yummy.

“Life, with its rules, its obligations, and its freedoms, is like a sonnet: You're given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself."
Uncle Arthur
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2012, 07:22:54 pm »

Always one of my favorites!

If at first you don't succeed , CHEAT!
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2012, 08:59:56 pm »

But do you cut the grilled cheese sandwich into soldiers (1/2inch slices) and dunk them in the soup? It's the only way to do it. Though my son, on being introduced to this classic delicacy, would withdraw the soldiers from the soup with a cry of "Headshot!" which seems a tad tasteless...

Lording it over the white cliffs of Dover
C.S. Lewis - "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
ForestB
Zeppelin Overlord

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2012, 09:30:54 pm »

I would also recommend the following heart attack causing fudge.

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/98/Condensed-Milk-Fudge

Cooking for Engineers is a brilliant website, Mad Scientists... check it out.

This fudge is excellent, because nothig puts a messy break up in perspective better than giving yourself diabetes.

I found this recipe and it is a wonderful thing...I tried it with 1/2 dark chocolate and 1/2 milk chocolate...mmmmmm. It's also good with minty chocolate as well..

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
Wolf410
Officer

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2012, 09:39:49 pm »

whiskey and cheesey sci-fi television...ohh and a big bowl of chips  Smiley

Only In The Air Can We Be Truly Free
Uncle Arthur
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2012, 09:55:31 pm »

Sir Henry! In our family what you describe is the only proper way to eat tomato soup and grilled cheese!
greensteam
Zeppelin Overlord

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2012, 09:11:29 pm »

Treasure Island - Benn Gunn:
"Marooned three years agone," he continued, "and lived on goats since then, and berries, and oysters. Wherever a man is, says I, a man can do for himself. But, mate, my heart is sore for Christian diet. You mightn't happen to have a piece of cheese about you, now? No? Well, many's the long night I've dreamed of cheese--toasted, mostly--and woke up again, and here I were."

"If ever I can get aboard again," said I, "you shall have cheese by the stone."

I cant help wondering why he didnt make goat cheese, although it wouldnt toast as well as a cheddar obviously

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
Madasasteamfish
Zeppelin Admiral

A clanger waiting to be dropped......

09madasafish
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2012, 09:18:49 pm »

"Marooned three years agone," he continued, "and lived on goats since then, and berries, and oysters. Wherever a man is, says I, a man can do for himself. But, mate, my heart is sore for Christian diet. You mightn't happen to have a piece of cheese about you, now? No? Well, many's the long night I've dreamed of cheese--toasted, mostly--and woke up again, and here I were."

I cant help wondering why he didnt make goat cheese, although it wouldnt toast as well as a cheddar obviously

He'd need rennet, an enzyme that actually makes Cheese well Cheesy. I'm not sure on the source but usually it's from calves, but I suppose other ruminants might produce it as well.

If tha knows about a better 'ole then tha can get thi sen in it!
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2012, 02:11:35 am »

I should think all baby ruminants produce renet to help them digest milk (I'm not sure though).  I'm sure there are cultures which only have goats and no cows that make cheese... Might have to research that.

Maybe the problem simply was that because he'd been killling the goats for food they wouldn't take kindly to him trying to milk them =P

I must be a cliche, emotional trauma had me running to the supermarket today for a box of tissues and 300g of finest milk chocolate....

New Etsy Shop!
Flightless Phoenix Designs for hand-made gothic and eccentric jewellery.
http://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FlightlessPhoenix

Forum members can get 10% off by using discount code: BRASSGOGGLES1
Mechanical_Zombie
Gunner

« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2012, 08:25:14 am »

Bangers and Mash. Really, anything heavy and savory, but yeah.

That said I don't tend to eat out of sadness. Just not how I am I guess.
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2012, 07:53:54 pm »

A good beef stew, made with ale and it HAS to have mustard dumplings!

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
greensteam
Zeppelin Overlord

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2012, 12:29:37 am »

He'd need rennet, an enzyme that actually makes Cheese well Cheesy. I'm not sure on the source but usually it's from calves, but I suppose other ruminants might produce it as well.

Many cheeses are made by curdling the milk with an acid, (vinegar, lemon juice) or salt. But I know nothing of how cheddar is made after the curdling bit. Actually he would have had a far harder task technically to make any realistic sort of starchy bread from which to make the toast.

Evelyn Adler
Zeppelin Overlord

Lady of Dorkness

« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2012, 02:09:18 am »

As long as you have any kind of grain that can be ground to flour, you can make bread.
But I thought he meant to have the cheese toasted, not cheese on toast?

Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. (Cecil Beaton)
greensteam
Zeppelin Overlord

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2012, 10:36:39 pm »

As long as you have any kind of grain that can be ground to flour, you can make bread.

I am not sure how one would toast cheese if it wasnt on toast or some other rigid substrate?
Birdnest
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2012, 11:21:32 pm »

The best eats to cool my head:

Tacos ... ground beef, salsa fresca, cilantro, cotija cheese stuffed into a medium fried corn tortilla (not crispy or pre-made.)

and ... P.O.G. - a whole quart

Best enjoyed while watching some kind of show about building something, or blowing something up.

Onward ho!
CaptainMurra
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

why hello there!

« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2012, 11:52:37 pm »

Always one of my favorites!

oh thats definitely one of my favourites too! I always remember watching Willy Wonka and when violet bulreguard chews that food gum and says "tomato soup! i can feel it running down my throat!" i always remember feeling it down my throat too!

i also love tea with lots of sugar accompanied with thick chocolate cake.

Give thy thoughts no tongue - William Shakespeare
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2012, 02:17:45 am »

Today I resorted to ice cream, with homemade chocolate fudge sauce (i.e. I melted half a tin of roses and stirred in some milk), works way better with mars bars and cream but this was an emergency.
Indigo Spire
Snr. Officer

Cheers Darlings!!!!!!

« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2012, 05:33:36 pm »

The best eats to cool my head:

Tacos ... ground beef, salsa fresca, cilantro, cotija cheese stuffed into a medium fried corn tortilla (not crispy or pre-made.)

and ... P.O.G. - a whole quart

Best enjoyed while watching some kind of show about building something, or blowing something up.

You are the first to say Tacos as a comfort food.
Indigo Spire
Snr. Officer

Cheers Darlings!!!!!!

« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2012, 05:36:07 pm »

How about a comfort snack?   Who doesn't love a hot, chocolate chip cookie...........all ooooie-gooy!
Doesn't it take ou back to your childhood? 
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2012, 05:55:16 pm »

How about a comfort snack?   Who doesn't love a hot, chocolate chip cookie...........all ooooie-gooy!
Me. I'm not a fan of chocolate (except as cocoa in savoury dishes); vanilla is my equivalent. So an entire pack of custard creams dunked in tea (one at a time, obviously. Stop it Wink ) does the trick every time.

I may have mentioned this previously, but it is a bit of an obsession.
Kryss LaBryn
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Lady Amelia Cottington

« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2012, 06:18:58 pm »

It doesn't even have to be a grain, just a source of starch.

The aboriginal natives in my home region used to make a type of bannock out of the starchy roots of Devil's Clubs (a thoroughly nasty plant, spikes everywhere including the damned berries), I'm told. I believe it was pounded into a paste, wrapped around a stick, and cooked over a fire. One could add berries or wrap it around a fish on a stick for extra flavour.

Birch root, too, I am told is starchy enough to make a sort of bread from. So, so long as he wasn't too picky, he could have had something bannocky, anyways.

Bannock is delicious anyways. You can make it at home by taking some flour, adding a little salt, adding enough water to make a thick dough, and then frying it up in absurd amounts of butter. You stretch fist-sized chunks of it out into something more-or-less flat and say an inch or so thick. Have it hot either plain, or with honey or jam. Fantastic!

I imagine that you're right, though, about it being cheese, toasted. I remember a bit in the book "Heidi" about her grandfather toasting great lumps of cheese on a long fork over the fire; you do it just until it turns soft and before it starts to run. I've done it in the toaster oven on tin foil and it is fantastic. One may still want a piece of bread or something similar to have with it though. A bite of buttered bread (or bannock), a bite of melting cheese... Lovely!

"Be clean and courteous; raise your hat, And wipe your boots upon the mat: Such proofs of gentlemanly feeling Are to the ladies most appealing." The Professor's Manuscript - Dorothy L. Sayers
Kryss LaBryn
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Lady Amelia Cottington

« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2012, 06:29:42 pm »

For quick comfort food, tinned tomatoes on toast, although I realise that this is not normal

Not too weird...  As an aside, I like potato chips (crisps) with catsup.  People say that that's weird, but admit that they like French fried potatoes (chips) with catsup.  They DON'T GET IT when I try to point out that both foods are just variants of fried potatoes...

In Canada one can buy ketchup-flavoured chips, so I don't think you're alone. One has a tough time finding vinegar for ones fries in the States as well, and I have the flip side of the exact same argument: "You have salt-and-vinegar chips; why wouldn't you have it on your French fries as well?"

Drat, now thanks to this and the toasted cheese bit I'm craving poutine...
Ulysses Reynolds
Zeppelin Captain

Just keep on flying.

« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2012, 06:49:16 pm »

For quick comfort food, tinned tomatoes on toast, although I realise that this is not normal

Not too weird...  As an aside, I like potato chips (crisps) with catsup.  People say that that's weird, but admit that they like French fried potatoes (chips) with catsup.  They DON'T GET IT when I try to point out that both foods are just variants of fried potatoes...

In Canada one can buy ketchup-flavoured chips, so I don't think you're alone. One has a tough time finding vinegar for ones fries in the States as well, and I have the flip side of the exact same argument: "You have salt-and-vinegar chips; why wouldn't you have it on your French fries as well?"

Drat, now thanks to this and the toasted cheese bit I'm craving poutine...

Trust me your not alone. Catsup favored chips are best. I end up buying bout two a week. SmileySmileySmiley

There is a reason for this. And trust me, when a bunch of harry potter geeks think your fucking retarded, you know there is something wrong.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Admiral

Daguerreotypes or it didn't happen.

« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2012, 12:28:24 am »

I'm embarassed to say for me its those horrible little chocolate covered donuts and a glass of milk. Least healthy food on Gods earth.

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
Madasasteamfish
Zeppelin Admiral

A clanger waiting to be dropped......

09madasafish
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2012, 11:43:59 am »

I'm embarassed to say for me its those horrible little chocolate covered donuts and a glass of milk. Least healthy food on Gods earth.

Even unhealthier than Spam fritters? (one of my favourites as a kid and still is Smiley ) Or even the 'infamous'

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: