The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 29, 2020, 04:49:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you sewing anything right now? Mk II  (Read 68113 times)
Kryss LaBryn
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

aka Lady Amelia Cottington

« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2011, 03:48:56 am »

Sheer and velvet silk with peacock print. I have no idea what I'm going to make with this yet, but Merry Christmas to me! Thank's Mom!!

Anyone wanna post any dress ideas? I'm open for suggestions.

That material is AMAZING and I am sooo jealouos! Lovely find! Smiley

What about something like this? It's the smoothness of the skirt that really appeals to me for this fabric, because it would show off the design so nicely:

Frankly, the first thing I thought of when I saw it was 1920s styles. The fabric would be perfect!

"Be clean and courteous; raise your hat, And wipe your boots upon the mat: Such proofs of gentlemanly feeling Are to the ladies most appealing." The Professor's Manuscript - Dorothy L. Sayers
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2011, 06:14:25 pm »

Finally got my latest coat (almost) finished. Still needs pressing.

Superfine 1000s Cashmere in a fancy herringbone weave with silk dupion cuffs, collar and revers

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Matching trousers and waistcoat to follow.

With his stovepipe hat and his drainpipe trousers he was a credit to his ironmonger.

NEW Discerning Scoundrel blog
Lady Toadflinger
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2012, 01:19:57 am »

Unsubtle Pete, That coat is fantastic! I can't wait to see the matching waistcoat and trousers.
 The only things I have sewn lately are a couple of pairs of spats. I'd post a pic if I knew how. Anyway, I need help with a possible project: I'd like to make a Safari coat/jacket like the one that Van Pelt wears in Jumanji.  Can anyone point me towards a pattern?  I've done a bit of searching, and have found nothing. I'd rather not buy a ready-made one.

This isn't the Junior Chamber of Commerce, Brad!
Elycium
Officer

addicted to fancy clothes

Elycium
« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2012, 05:21:57 pm »

Unsubtle Pete - that coat is awesome.
Polaris - that fabric is gorgeous <3

I'm currently working on a Turkish coat for an Eastern steampunk outfit.

"Humans need fantasy to be human."  - Death from "The Hogfather"
Kryss LaBryn
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2012, 11:10:04 pm »

Pete, that's a great coat! Can't wait to see the whole outfit! Smiley

Lady Toadflinger, if I'm remembering the cut of the coat correctly, it was very similar to a design that was pretty fashionable in the '70s. Perhaps start looking for old patterns online from there (it's kind of a hip-length belted affair, isn't it? Or am I off my rocker with that one)?

Elycium, that fabric is lovely! I can't wait to see it finished!

Mistress Magpie, I saw a wonderful 3D brass-and-"jewels' peacock necklace at Ardene's yesterday (for $12) and thought of you! I was actually tempted to pick it up and ship it off to you, just because of that wonderful peacock fabric! Grin It will be great fun accessorizing it once you have it done, I'm sure!

Let's see... last time I mentioned anything I was starting on the vest pattern and fighting to get two bat costumes done in time for Hallowe'en. Well, I am happy to be able to report that the bat costumes did get done (hooray!!), and the vest is (finally!!) almost done! In a little while I will be throwing on my corset and checking the fit. I accidentally made it a bit looser than I had intended when I only used up about half of my seam allowance stitching it together, and I was afraid I'd have to unpick the entire thing!! But I managed to figure out a way to take in the slack (although it isn't lying quite as smooth as it did; still, I suspect I'm the only one who will notice!).

Now I just have to double-check the fit, and stitch down the pocket-flaps (once I've confirmed the position). I decided to just do fake flaps instead of actual proper pockets, because (a) I didn't like the look of the external pockets I'd made (too bulky); (b) I didn't think I could quite pull off an internal pocket and slit (and also the watch sitting in there would again be too bulky and ruin what are supposed to be the smooth, fitted lines of the vest); and (c) if I put it in a pocket then how are you supposed to be able to admire my fabulous pocketwatch? Grin So I took a page from Girl Genius's Trojan rabbit costume (in the Weasel Queen storyline) and decided to go with just fake pocket flaps, and hand the watch down from those!

I just need to do some more dishes and maybe make lunch for everyone and then I'll be trying all this out. Pictures in a few hours, with a little luck! Smiley

(Oh yes, I also sewed a snowman costume for one of the kids in my son's Christmas pagent. I had to literally stay up all night to finish it. That doesn't show at all and it totally will not traumatize small children especially not with the detatchable eyes. *snerk*)
MistressMagpie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2012, 11:47:19 pm »

Mistress Magpie, I saw a wonderful 3D brass-and-"jewels' peacock necklace at Ardene's yesterday (for $12) and thought of you! I was actually tempted to pick it up and ship it off to you, just because of that wonderful peacock fabric! Grin It will be great fun accessorizing it once you have it done, I'm sure!

Sounds lovely, Ms. LaBryn, but Polaris is the lucky owner of that fabric, not I! The thought is greatly appreciated, though. Smiley

MAGPIE, n. A bird whose thievish disposition suggested to someone that it might be taught to talk.
        -- The Devil's Dictionary

Avatar made with much assistance from Ammotu's artistic talents.
Kryss LaBryn
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2012, 03:53:03 am »

Whoops! Obviously I was a bit over-wrought at the thought of such stunning fabric,  ha ha.

Here's the vest! Just need to sew on the pocket flaps (will do that this evening) and then my outfit will be basically done for now. Will still make a coat at some point when I'm feeling ridiculously ambitious, and I still need to finish my pantaloons (got them cut out and then was overwhelmed by the thought of working with a published pattern instead of my own, but as they're really basic I've just decided to finish them on my own because, really, how hard is it to sew two legs into tubes and put them on a waistband? Might even tackle the pin-tucks! Grin). But I think my next actual project will be finally getting going on my daughter's outfit. She feels all left out when Karl and I dress up! Plus now I'm at a stage where I don't need to worry about her outgrowing hers while I finish mine so we can all have pics together, which was a bit of a hold-up for me. Wow! I made her goggles as my first bit of SP costuming before she could even really walk, and now she's turning 3 in April! Oh man, procrastination is my middle name, ha ha.

Anyways, vest! Here you go: a couple of pics of my nice new vest. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out! It's hard to tell in the photos (the light in here is terrible) but it's not quite the same colour as the skirt. The pin-striped skirt is a slightly muddier green than the corduroy of the vest.

I did have Hubby take many more but they're really blurry for some reason. Sad Oh well, I don't have a decent background anyways. Ignore my kitchen!! It just figures that I've been cleaning all day and the only bit you can see in the background is the one last bit of counter space I still need to clean up.  Roll Eyes

The lacing in the back is to allow it to be form-fitting and still be easy to take in and out (hopefully more in than out ha ha) as, er, my ability to lace up the corset (yeah, that's it Wink ) fluctuates.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 05:42:30 am by Kryss LaBryn » Logged
vampyresheep
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2012, 01:36:12 pm »

well, Bathing costume complete and modelled over the New year (yay, it didn't fall apart in the swimming pool!) - see pic in the Playing Dress Up thread.
My few spare days over Christmas was spent sewing beetlewings onto taffeta for my Gala Nocturna gown (a ball in Antwerp this February - the theme this year being Russian Fairytale, so I'm going all out on the 'bling'!)
I'm making the Truly Victorian Parisian Trained skirt but instead of ruffles on the side panel, I'm "embroidering" a floral pattern with soutache braid, sequins and beetle wings.  Planning to wear this with a beetlewing adorned corset I've had made for me and a beetle wing trimmed cape - undecided yet on whether to make a bolero or similar to affix the cape to and create some elaborate sleeves.
I may have been a tad over ambitious on my plans - nothing new there - but just the one panel took two days to do, so not sure how on earth I'm going to finish the entire outfit this month!  better start curtailing my social life for a while  Smiley
Progress pics of the beetle wing work so far, although no picture can truly show just how shiny and iridescent both the wings and the fabric are.

Oh yes, and with all these iridescent colours on my mind, I am seriously coveting that peacock fabric that Polaris is so lucky to have found!  Want!!  Smiley
Anna Katarina
Gunner

« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2012, 10:38:36 pm »

I am taking a break from hand-stitching the waist-band of a Butterick skirt. 

(Apologies if I did not follow the conventional format for including links, I am still experiencing technical difficulties with inserting images.) 
I shall be sporting it at the upcoming Clockwork Con in Austin, TX.

Happy sewing, everyone!
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2012, 12:14:31 am »

Just got the second piece of the suit more or less completed*. Two things soon became apparent.

1) Wearing it tucked into boots causes the fabric to crumple on the lower legs, this is not the case otherwise. See*

2) Trousers higher than the natural waist don't work without braces in a fabric as floppy as thin cashmere.

*Not done the bottom hems yet.
Shing
Deck Hand
Portugal Portugal

Alexa Davina Ironlass, Seamstress

« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2012, 12:31:10 am »

I'm doing a big project that involves a bolero, a corset styled tube top, a long skirt and an over skirt.
This is the almost complete top:

Elycium
Officer

addicted to fancy clothes

Elycium
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2012, 11:40:42 pm »

I'm doing a big project that involves a bolero, a corset styled tube top, a long skirt and an over skirt.
This is the almost complete top:

looking good so far. Its kinda scarey, you look like someone I sew with regularly, and I had to do a double take, lol.

This is currently consuming my life (sorry about the size) So far, the undergarments of a Tudor era gown that I now have... one week to finish.
LadyAsprin
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Sabreuse.

« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2012, 12:09:11 am »

Just got the second piece of the suit more or less completed*. Two things soon became apparent.

1) Wearing it tucked into boots causes the fabric to crumple on the lower legs, this is not the case otherwise. See*

2) Trousers higher than the natural waist don't work without braces in a fabric as floppy as thin cashmere.

*Not done the bottom hems yet.

Have you considered putting straps under your feet to hold the trousers straight?

I can't sew (I can sew up my crochet though) but my Mum and I are working on this dress, its a modern reproduction of a original 50's pattern and when I saw it I decided we (I say we - I supervised and stood having it fitted to me) were going to make it.

We got the pattern and some cheap material to make it up and after a fair bit fiddling about with it, I tried on and it wouldn't do up (it was about 2 sizes larger than I am - we decided although it was hourglass shaped it wasn't designed for someone with a large bust) and I was almost at the stage of giving up but we decided to google it and found a review of it which pretty much said the sizing was odd.  My Mum took it as a challenge and got the larger pattern, she started playing with the pieces.  We have actually got the prototype almost finished (I think, its down with her in England at the moment so it might actually be completed).

Although we have had to use the image as inspiration rather than follow the pattern to get it to fit.  We made the front skirt wider (used the back skirt pattern) and the neckline square, while the back skirt has remained the same as the pattern.  We hope to create a version which can be worn in the winter over a top.

I hope this makes sense, I think I started to ramble.

Note to anybody buying this pattern buy it larger than you think you need and make at least one practice one to get the fit correct.

Only girls fight with swords these days.(Wellington - Duel and Duality - Blackadder III)
Wilhelmina Frame
Zeppelin Captain

ptliontamer
« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2012, 08:11:37 pm »

interesting! I have that pattern but I've never made it because I determined it would be a bitch to fit.

Part Time Lion Tamer
Editrix de Mode, Steampunk Chronicle
Founder, American Tea Duelling Society
Sam Watson
Snr. Officer

Steampunk Cowboy

« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2012, 08:47:42 pm »

Just finished this waistcoat. I'm not smiling. Ah well.

Samuel Xavier Watson
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2012, 11:06:09 pm »

This is currently consuming my life (sorry about the size) So far, the undergarments of a Tudor era gown that I now have... one week to finish.

The front panel in that second pic is utterly divine.

LadyAsprin - they behave much better if I tuck them into socks slightly shorter than the boots. They are meant to be worn outside either ankle boots or shoes, so I will refrain from adding foot-straps.

Meanwhile I have managed another trip to London to buy cloth. No Cashmere this time*. Instead I have silk dupion for one shirt, silk twill for another, enough silk charmeuse for half a dozen cravats and, best of all, a couple of metres of dark green 100s wool suiting and a colour matched silk velvet for a frock coat  Grin

*Plenty there, but wanted a break from the stuff.
ladyelsie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2012, 10:49:40 pm »

I too have been making undergarments this weekend. A French wheel farthingale to go over one similar to your photo, Elycium. It is to go under a Stuart Gown on the worktable for Arabella Stuart. Sorry I cant photograph as it is for a tv job . But can when the programme goes out. I have made Henrician gowns before and would love to wear one more than once a year.      
This link may work, to show my frock.
Hope to see the finished gown.

L.E.
LadyAsprin
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Sabreuse.

« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2012, 12:33:30 am »

I too have been making undergarments this weekend. A French wheel farthingale to go over one similar to your photo, Elycium. It is to go under a Stuart Gown on the worktable for Arabella Stuart. Sorry I cant photograph as it is for a tv job . But can when the programme goes out. I have made Henrician gowns before and would love to wear one more than once a year.      
This link may work, to show my frock.
Hope to see the finished gown.

L.E.

Which link? There isn't one visible in your post.

interesting! I have that pattern but I've never made it because I determined it would be a bitch to fit.

It has been, we hope to manage to complete it when I visit home next and once it is completed I will post photos.  The fact it says 'Very Easy' on the packaging made my Mum want to complete it just to prove she is not that out of practice.
Wilhelmina Frame
Zeppelin Captain

ptliontamer
« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2012, 05:32:35 am »

I'm not sewing much costume wise but I think I've wrapped my mind around a couple of things to start on. I'm also teaching my friend how to use her sewing machine so we are both making her a ballgown. I think we can make the skirt and overskirt together but I'll end up making the bodice. The last thing I used my machine for was this:

Tutorial Here:
http://createstudio.blogspot.com/2011/04/sock-dog-tutorial.html
Kryss LaBryn
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2012, 05:56:52 am »

Hee hee hee! What an adorable bitty blue doggy! Hee, the whippet(? Beagle-something? Cute dog) looks somewhat discombobulated at its passenger.
LadyAsprin
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Sabreuse.

« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2012, 05:57:44 am »

Hee hee hee! What an adorable bitty blue doggy! Hee, the whippet(? Beagle-something? Cute dog) looks somewhat discombobulated at its passenger.

Maybe its worried a sock cat will be nearby and it will be used as a launch pad (by sock dog)?
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2012, 11:35:51 pm »

I have just discovered that detachable collars are tricky little buggers to make.
Miss Groves
Zeppelin Captain

running out of steam

« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2012, 04:22:01 pm »

I have just discovered that detachable collars are tricky little buggers to make.

not just tricky, frustrating and sometimes painful XD

Happy Solar Circumnavigation Day!
"Art in the blood is liable to take the strangest of forms." - Sherlock Holmes
Let's eat Grandpa. Let's eat, Grandpa. Punctuation can save someone's life.
£5 out of £295 for a metal clay kiln : ( 
Polaris
Snr. Officer

"You again?! What are you? The Plague?"

« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2012, 09:51:05 pm »

Still waiting on patterns and fabric to work with my christmas fabric.... in the meanwhile I'm feeling hateful and disillusioned with a bustled coat that isn't going together as easily as planned....  Angry

"Then the Gods of the Market tumbled, and their smooth-tongued wizards withdrew
And the hearts of the meanest were humbled and began to believe it was true
That all is not gold that glitters, and two and two make four
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings limped up to explain it once more."~Kipling; 1919
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2012, 10:00:25 pm »

not just tricky, frustrating and sometimes painful XD

I've now got to the point where I can put the shirt over my head, fasten it at the neck and attach the collar.

It probably needs some sleeves now  Roll Eyes

Edited for spelling.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: