The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 07, 2020, 01:31:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you sewing anything right now? Mk II  (Read 67788 times)
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #675 on: December 15, 2013, 09:47:44 pm »

Also sometimes it happens when the shirt armhole is larger than the waistcoat (vest) armhole.

What am I making at the moment?  I have decided it is about time I did some sewing of 21st century street clothes.  Nothing to write home about, just taking up hems and taking in waists.  But some of the stuff has been hanging about for some years as I have been busy sewing my alternative wardrobes instead.  I made a resolution to get down to sorting out my sewing room, and getting rid of the portable dress rail is number one on the list.  I'll be doing this for ages though.  So roll on the next event I want to go to so that I can get back to 'outfit' making.
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler
United States United States

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #676 on: December 16, 2013, 01:33:13 am »

I have been doing a lot of tiny sewing and this is the last outfit I finished. I am not used to working with wool and the fit of the pants show it,

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Professor Bats
« Reply #677 on: January 04, 2014, 06:49:24 am »

Hi, apologies if this thread is ancient, I am new to the forum and didn't see a lot of dates.

I have made several Ageless Patterns outfits. They are indeed very short on instructions. The pattern piece that you have is for the finished shape, after pleating. I suggest using it for a flat lining, which should then be covered in your pleated fabric. The flat lining will provide shape and strength, so that the pleated fabric itself is not actually taking the strain, and can be very fine and delicate if you choose. That will also help keep the pleats neat when the bodice is closed snuggly, without the pleats getting pulled out of shape. You would then pleat a piece of your muslin, adding vertical pleats in a width that you find pleasing, until you have a pleated piece of fabric as wide as the pattern piece. Then cut out the shape on your already pleated fabric. You can do the pleating in a number of ways:
1. just iron the pleats in place, and stay stitch your fabric to lining at the edges. Because of the lining keeping the shape, the pleats will stay put.
2. Stitch each pleat down (see pintuck methods, like
SB Blog Tour - Part 5: Pintucking (3 of 3)
but I suggest making them much wider for this project), then stay stitch to the flat lining.
3. For a softer look, you could just gather the fabric by hand instead of sharp and regular pleats, and again stay stitch it to the lining.
Professor Bats
« Reply #678 on: January 04, 2014, 06:51:56 am »

Ah... this was in reply to the Ageless Patterns #1006 question, which was a few pages back. Sorry!
WinterHaven
Snr. Officer
Latvia Latvia

« Reply #679 on: October 08, 2016, 04:18:31 pm »

I hope I am not committing a faux pas by attempting to revive this thread. I have been away for a while and since I've been back I have missed it.

My most recent project was my first ever garment totally from scratch. A skirt to wear for work. Not very steampunk but I learned a lot about sewing along the way. I then decided it needed steaming, and so have added a ruffled petticoat in cheesecloth and lace to prettify it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The photos should work if you right click. I'm sorry, I can't figure out what I haven't done.

'If you were going to make a ghost-trap, how would you set about it? -particularly if you had not even a small ghost to practice on.' -Wyndham
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #680 on: October 08, 2016, 05:37:33 pm »

I'm finishing a Victorian jacket to wear to a friends evening wedding party - they are having a masquerade ball theme and have specified the colour scheme of black, gold and cream (my fabric is gold overlaid with black lace).  Also I have just started a red velvet jacket to wear at Whitby Goth Weekend in a few weeks.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #681 on: October 08, 2016, 07:48:50 pm »

I am not going to reveal to you how many projects have been started and not yet finished.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #682 on: October 08, 2016, 10:54:47 pm »

Ah yes, all my UFOs Unfinished Fantastic Outfits.
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #683 on: October 08, 2016, 11:12:49 pm »

Several summer dresses that I started planning when it was actually summer and should be ready for next summer.  Probably.
And a myriad of planned or at least dreamed of projects.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #684 on: October 09, 2016, 08:31:44 am »

Other than the occasional hem and the odd job of mending, I don't sew!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #685 on: October 09, 2016, 10:19:22 am »

I'm doing just a little bit of sewing for my Halloween outfit - not Steampunk this year but I might pop a piccy into off-topic once it's done. A couple of quick projects after that is to make a black jacket that's been lounging in the wardrobe a while a bit more Steamy, and there's also a skirt I dug out which I think I might make a bit more interesting by adding some lacing detail along the back and a fishtail effect to it. However, these may be delayed by any work wished for in the way of outfits for the family for Steampunks in Space (for mine I'm just going with an existing outfit) and, depending on what I find in the charity shops, sorting out a 40s style coat for a Christmas event (up until now every 40s event we've been to has been during the summer).

After that, the really big project is to get the family outfits ready for the Venice Carnival, as we are booked to go in February. The big challenge there is limited baggage size and allowance, so I'll need to try a slightly mad idea to allow us to take the sorts of outfit we want - more on that as it develops!

I hope I am not committing a faux pas by attempting to revive this thread. I have been away for a while and since I've been back I have missed it.

My most recent project was my first ever garment totally from scratch. A skirt to wear for work. Not very steampunk but I learned a lot about sewing along the way. I then decided it needed steaming, and so have added a ruffled petticoat in cheesecloth and lace to prettify it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The photos should work if you right click. I'm sorry, I can't figure out what I haven't done.

Looks nice, and works well with the corset.

I'm finishing a Victorian jacket to wear to a friends evening wedding party - they are having a masquerade ball theme and have specified the colour scheme of black, gold and cream (my fabric is gold overlaid with black lace).  Also I have just started a red velvet jacket to wear at Whitby Goth Weekend in a few weeks.

Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! (Please  Grin)

Yours,
Miranda.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #686 on: October 09, 2016, 10:57:20 pm »

You are going to Venice for the carnival.  Oh wow.  Do report back to us as to whether it is as good as the photographs make it look.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #687 on: October 10, 2016, 07:30:45 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.

Ah, yes, the UFOs.

I'm currently making a Regency era wardrobe. Those fine, fine fabrics. What a difference to modding thrift purchases for steaming up!
Still.
I'm learning a lot from it.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #688 on: October 10, 2016, 06:16:42 pm »

You are going to Venice for the carnival.  Oh wow.  Do report back to us as to whether it is as good as the photographs make it look.

We have been once before, B.C. (Before Children) - and yes it is!

Ah, yes, the UFOs.

I'm currently making a Regency era wardrobe. Those fine, fine fabrics. What a difference to modding thrift purchases for steaming up!
Still.
I'm learning a lot from it.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

I have to say I love Georgian fashion, and given that was the era in which scientific investigation really took root and it saw the start of mechanisation (automated looms and such) so I'd say it fits nicely into the Steampunk ethos. I'm looking forwards to seeing pictures of your creations!

Yours,
Miranda.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #689 on: October 11, 2016, 08:15:12 am »

...I have to say I love Georgian fashion, and given that was the era in which scientific investigation really took root and it saw the start of mechanisation (automated looms and such) so I'd say it fits nicely into the Steampunk ethos. I'm looking forwards to seeing pictures of your creations!

Yours,
Miranda.

A good point about about the Georgian era as the beginning of the industrial and scientific changes of the Victorian era.
I'm finishing the first garment, a shift. And the cap. Next comes the dress itself, a reticule, the hat and a fur trimmed cape.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #690 on: November 29, 2016, 06:29:48 am »

Considering a new leather sheath for my machete (about half of the material of the current one is worn and badly-slit duct tape), and after that, a set of what tack shops around here call "half chaps"; leather or canvas spats-like things that rise from the top of one's shoe to the inside of one's knee. Used mainly for light-duty working from horseback, the seat of a tractor, or on foot around cacti and thorn bushes. Also useful (as in my case) for keeping one's pants legs from getting tangled in the drive chain of one's bicycle. Trying to decide whether to buy an old leather coat at a thrift shop or garage sale and cannibalizing the sleeves therefrom, or making the items from scratch.

Also need to resew a couple of shirt pockets (Have manufacturers lost the ability to stitch pockets onto shirts properly? This kind of repair persists in being necessary).

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #691 on: November 29, 2016, 07:52:17 am »

I've finished the cap, shift and dress and working on the chemisette now. The reticule is cut out. I'm using the bloomers from my Victorian outfitting.
Hand sewing goes very slowly for me!

Then will come the long fur muff and fur trimmings for the cape (an antique Spanish cape I bought) and bonnet.
The fur comes from a fur coat I bought at a jumble sale for 10 €.

I reckon the easiest way to steam up a Georgian/Regency outfit is via arm bracers and similar, since a lady's waist and legs don't exist in this style.
Any ideas?

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #692 on: December 02, 2016, 11:00:29 pm »

I reckon the easiest way to steam up a Georgian/Regency outfit is via arm bracers and similar, since a lady's waist and legs don't exist in this style.
Any ideas?

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Could you do something with the muff?  Perhaps add some loops to hang various steamy equipment.  I imagine you'll already have lots of ideas for pockets in its lining to supplement the reticule. I believe regency ladies used to carry a hankerchief in theirs,  but I'm sure there are lots of other precious bits that you could have literally 'to hand'.
This sounds such an interesting project.
Thylacinus
Gunner

« Reply #693 on: December 02, 2016, 11:17:38 pm »

I'm still working on improving my sewing skills. I realized after a couple of failed muslins that I am not up to making most teens-style garments yet, but the muslin for the popular Folkwear Armistice Blouse has gone well and I am hoping to make it in real fabric this weekend. Most of the steampunk aspect will be in the accessories, although I chose a novelty fabric as well.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 03:21:34 am by Thylacinus » Logged
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #694 on: December 03, 2016, 08:25:58 am »

Good morning,ladies and gentlemen.

Any ideas?

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Could you do something with the muff?  Perhaps add some loops to hang various steamy equipment.  I imagine you'll already have lots of ideas for pockets in its lining to supplement the reticule. I believe regency ladies used to carry a hankerchief in theirs,  but I'm sure there are lots of other precious bits that you could have literally 'to hand'.
This sounds such an interesting project.

Great ideas, perfect for winter wear. The muff, which shall be one of those exaggerated Regency ones.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/83/51/67/8351677b9d3e2388c9e1ced4480a45de.jpg
From 1793, along these lines.

Or even this one, from 1819. The hat attracts me
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/a9/5d/fb/a95dfbd2883edf2fcb56699306ced898.jpg

Or even this, from "The Duchess"
https://es.pinterest.com/pin/112449321915389484/

And even a summery reticule could have interesting things dangling from it. And a chatelaine. With armbracers, that should give me ample possibilities. Hmm.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #695 on: December 04, 2016, 08:56:22 pm »

I'm still working on improving my sewing skills. I realized after a couple of failed muslins that I am not up to making most teens-style garments yet, but the muslin for the popular Folkwear Armistice Blouse has gone well and I am hoping to make it in real fabric this weekend. Most of the steampunk aspect will be in the accessories, although I chose a novelty fabric as well.

That style looks lovely, and I agree it is eminently suitable to steaming up. Brass buttons on it would look a treat, and maybe some laces or fine chains to give the waist to either side of the central panel some definition?

Good morning,ladies and gentlemen.

(snip)

Great ideas, perfect for winter wear. The muff, which shall be one of those exaggerated Regency ones.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/83/51/67/8351677b9d3e2388c9e1ced4480a45de.jpg
From 1793, along these lines.

Or even this one, from 1819. The hat attracts me
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/a9/5d/fb/a95dfbd2883edf2fcb56699306ced898.jpg

Or even this, from "The Duchess"
https://es.pinterest.com/pin/112449321915389484/

And even a summery reticule could have interesting things dangling from it. And a chatelaine. With armbracers, that should give me ample possibilities. Hmm.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Oh, those muffs look wonderfully luxuriant, and so practical for the winter weather (I regretted not taking out my admittedly vastly less sumptuous muff last night as it was rather chilly). I love The Duchess ; the outfits are wonderful, with the hats being especially fabulous. Thank you for the link to the Pinterest page - that's been bookmarked.

As to my recent sewing, the Halloween 'Elvira' outfit came together fairly easily and, as noted over on the thread in 'Off topic', elements of it are going to to be steamed up for future use. As to the 40s coat, in the spirit of 'make do and mend' I decided to re-purpose a coat I'd had stored in the loft. It's a wool blend butand unfortunately one year the moths had a jolly good munch around its hem, hence the relegation to storage. However, it was ankle length and 40s coats tended to be just below the knee, which gave the opportunity to remove the damaged material and recycle the bits that were OK to add darts from the waist to the hem (it was going over a dress with a full skirt and petticoat underneath). It was finished off with a long fur stole, fur trimmed 'tilt' hat and fur trimmed gloves (although as noted the muff would have been a sensible addition too).

So, now it's time to start thinking about the Venice outfits...

Yours,
Miranda.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #696 on: February 15, 2017, 12:37:18 am »

Here's the youngest's dress for the carnival:

And, as she wants to be a flower fairy, the wings made by my eldest:

Yours,
Miranda.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #697 on: February 18, 2017, 06:43:25 pm »

Here's the youngest's dress for the carnival:

And, as she wants to be a flower fairy, the wings made by my eldest:

Yours,
Miranda.

She will look so cute.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #698 on: February 18, 2017, 09:21:31 pm »

She will look so cute.

Hopefully; we just need to be careful how we place the wings in the case. I've promised to make her a set of mechanical wings to go with the outfit for Steampunk outings.

Yours,
Miranda.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #699 on: February 19, 2017, 09:19:37 pm »

I've promised to make her a set of mechanical wings to go with the outfit for Steampunk outings.

Yours,
Miranda.

Might we see that at Whitby if you are there in April?
I'd love to have wings but I think they'd have to be quite large to get me air-born, so I might try for a jet pack instead - if I can figure out a way to make one I can sit down comfortably in.  (I know, I know, but I've reached the age where a nice cup of tea may be more attractive than a kick-ass prop!)
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: