The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 23, 2018, 12:19:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you sewing anything right now? Mk II  (Read 48067 times)
lientie
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

bethanlientie
« Reply #650 on: August 15, 2013, 10:53:57 pm »

Fantastic outfit, I'd also like to see a close up of the hat, love the idea of a wireframe hat Smiley

Confabulation!
Lachlan_MacAuslander
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #651 on: September 04, 2013, 11:51:38 pm »

Have now made two practice Tarbooshes (Tarbooshi? Tarbooshen?), and I've almost got the hang of it... soon I'll be able to try one out of the expensive fabric.

Also got the sleeve seam that I sewed into the side seam of my Kaftan sorted out and I'm working on finishing the seams. Then I can add some bias tape around the edges to dress them up and figure out the buttons. I may order some soutache braid to decorate the chest as well, and then embellish the hem with some machine embroidery...
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #652 on: September 05, 2013, 11:47:48 pm »

How much time do you have?
Lachlan_MacAuslander
Snr. Officer

« Reply #653 on: September 12, 2013, 12:29:20 am »

Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?  Grin
LadyAsprin
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Sabreuse.

« Reply #654 on: September 12, 2013, 12:37:58 am »

Just finished part of one of my outfits for the Asylum, no photos yet - should have some by the start of next week.

Only girls fight with swords these days.(Wellington - Duel and Duality - Blackadder III)
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #655 on: September 12, 2013, 08:31:26 pm »

I'm right annoyed.  I have been sewing madly for the Asylum - and everything is ready, and now I doubt if I will get the chance to flaunt the stuff.  sigh.  I don't think that I am well enough to go.  I'll know for sure tomorrow morning.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #656 on: September 17, 2013, 03:29:21 am »

not at all steamy, but still ...

a costume for my friend's daughter, the head/hat so far.

supposed to be a husky, but it's looking more wolf than anything. the dog collar should help.

hoping to get a large dogtag that reads "I'm A HUSKY!!!"  Grin
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #657 on: September 17, 2013, 06:34:38 pm »

It looks kind.
Sam Watson
Snr. Officer

Steampunk Cowboy

« Reply #658 on: September 25, 2013, 08:00:33 pm »

Working on an 1830s waistcoat:

Samuel Xavier Watson
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #659 on: October 08, 2013, 11:16:42 pm »

Your waistcoat is looking fantastic so far Sam Watson. I hope you post pictures when it's done. All the hand sewing you do is incredible.

I've not done much sewing lately, but I did alter this blouse:

It was very wide and baggy so I took off the sleeves and pocket, added bust darts and took it in, then re-attached the sleeves and pocket. Not perfect, but a great improvement!

I'm going to try to make a dress in the next 2 weeks, should be fairly simple... but it's been a long time since i made a whole garment! Just a fairly simple bodice and a large gathered skirt. I'll probably have to take it to someone to get the zip put in at the end though because I haven't got time to order a zipper foot for my machine (need the dress for a photoshoot on the 19th October).

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #660 on: October 13, 2013, 08:48:54 pm »

a dead skunk candy bag, guess where you stick the candy Grin

Polaris
Snr. Officer

"You again?! What are you? The Plague?"

« Reply #661 on: October 28, 2013, 04:18:25 pm »

So it's been a very long time since I've done anything other than lurk on this forum ((Hello again and apologies for my absence!)) but I've gotten a bit stuck on a sewing project and wanted to see if anyone's got any advice or hints....

I'm attempting the Ageless Pattern's 1887 Corsage with Pleated Surah Vest ((This one here for anyone who might be unfamiliar... http://www.patternsoftime.com/prodimages/patterns/ageless/1006.gif ))  

The I'm mostly complete, but am having difficulties with the surah vest ((Mine actually being cut of Muslin because I'm a starving artist)) and the instructions of "Pleat as shown in the Illustration." I've never been great at pleating, so if any of you have already completed this pattern and can offer advice, I would be in your debt!

In the mean while here's some work in progress images for your enjoyment! Smiley The final dress, and all photos to be revealed after the dress's premiere at this years Teslacon in Madison WI.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 09:00:05 pm by Polaris » Logged

"Then the Gods of the Market tumbled, and their smooth-tongued wizards withdrew
And the hearts of the meanest were humbled and began to believe it was true
That all is not gold that glitters, and two and two make four
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings limped up to explain it once more."~Kipling; 1919
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #662 on: October 28, 2013, 08:55:38 pm »

Oh dear, the photographs do not show.  Can you try again.
mephit
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #663 on: October 28, 2013, 08:58:06 pm »

I'm attempting the Ageless Pattern's 1887 Corsage with Pleated Surah Vest ((This one here for anyone who might be unfamiliar... http://www.patternsoftime.com/prodimages/patterns/ageless/1006.gif )) 

I'm mostly complete, but am having difficulties with the surah vest ((Mine actually being cut of Muslin because I'm a starving artist)) and the instructions of "Pleat as shown in the Illustration." I've never been great at pleating, so if any of you have already completed this pattern and can offer advice, I would be in your debt!

In the mean while here's some work in progress images for your enjoyment! Smiley

I don't have specific experience with this pattern, but I have made a couple of modern kilts before. At a guess, I'd say it should be front-pleated like a modern man's dress shirt; the style often worn with tuxedos. Small, regular pleats either facing toward or away from the placket. It may require some test fitting and/or maths to determine exactly how much material needs to be pleated away to fit properly. Then it's just down to regular marks showing where to pleat. A seam gauge is handy, too, just to make all the pleats are the same depth.

The Corsage and skirt are looking good! I would gently suggest, however, that you'll need to share the pictures as links rather than images in the future. I couldn't view them until I started replying and could then copy and paste the links into a separate window.
Polaris
Snr. Officer

"You again?! What are you? The Plague?"

« Reply #664 on: October 28, 2013, 09:04:07 pm »

Link issues fixed. Apologies for that...

As for the pleating, it's more the issue of the pattern pieces being so very oddly shaped. It's hard to describe unless you've worked the pattern before or I had a picture ((Which I will try to get, but don't currently have))

The piece seems only slightly overlarge for the space it has to fill, and is very narrow at the top, before growing wider along the bust and then narrow again at the waist. I was more wondering if the peats should follow suit, or should remain straight and try my best to work the pattern around that...
mephit
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #665 on: October 29, 2013, 01:21:04 am »

As for the pleating, it's more the issue of the pattern pieces being so very oddly shaped. It's hard to describe unless you've worked the pattern before or I had a picture ((Which I will try to get, but don't currently have))

The piece seems only slightly overlarge for the space it has to fill, and is very narrow at the top, before growing wider along the bust and then narrow again at the waist. I was more wondering if the peats should follow suit, or should remain straight and try my best to work the pattern around that...

From the sounds of it, I think it's meant to be smooth at the shoulder seam, and pleated from somewhere above the bust down. Since I'm not directly familiar with the pattern, I can only make suggestions, but I hope they're helpful. If it's graded to fit you (and therefore your dress dummy), you should be able to baste it together, place it on the dummy and then see whether there are any points (like the shoulders or waist) that fit smoothly vs. areas with obvious extra to be pleated out. If it's not graded, things are more complicated. If the pattern tells what the original body measurements for the pattern were, you should be able to estimate how much needs to be pleated out at the very minimum at the bust and waist. This may give you an idea of how much to remove at the shoulder as well, but it depends on the measurements given.

Another option if it seems like there isn't enough to create true pleats: perhaps they actually meant something more akin to pintucks? Or even if they didn't originally intend it, they might still work for you anyway. You get the vertical lines effect the pattern originally intended without removing so much fabric.

Hurley
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #666 on: October 29, 2013, 10:53:54 pm »

Oh, that is a nice pattern.  I am sure that it will look lovely on.

These days we wear a blouse under a jacket, but in those days the only bit of the blouse they made was the parts that showed.  So the pleated piece just fits into the spaces down your front.  I think that they are vertical pleats, the same size all the way down.  How big they are depends upon your own size.  The only way to do this is to make a mock-up.  Get some spare material and pleat it and see how it fits.  Then keep adjusting it until it looks right.  I'm sure that this is what the home dressmakers did in those days.
mephit
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #667 on: October 30, 2013, 02:30:37 am »

These days we wear a blouse under a jacket, but in those days the only bit of the blouse they made was the parts that showed.  So the pleated piece just fits into the spaces down your front.  I think that they are vertical pleats, the same size all the way down.  How big they are depends upon your own size.  The only way to do this is to make a mock-up.  Get some spare material and pleat it and see how it fits.  Then keep adjusting it until it looks right.  I'm sure that this is what the home dressmakers did in those days.

The pattern says it's a pleated vest, not blouse. I'm guessing any blouse would have been worn underneath the vest. And I've never seen anything about false blouse-fronts worn by Victorian women before. Can you point me in the direction of some sources for that? I'd be very interested in reading them. Thanks!

Hurley
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #668 on: October 30, 2013, 10:02:58 pm »

Hi Mephit,

I have a few originals in my loft if you happen to be in the London area sometime.   Kiss  In the early 1900's where the collar, part-front and the sleeves from the elbows-to-wrists are on show they wore cropped top blouses underneath with only the bits that showed having the beading, lace or embroidery.

Of course they wore a chemise and corset and corset cover underneath, so very little of the top layer of fabric actually touched the skin.  But a lot of original tops have sweat marks under the arms.
mephit
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #669 on: October 31, 2013, 01:27:01 am »

I have a few originals in my loft if you happen to be in the London area sometime.   Kiss 

My my! That's dangerously close to "You should come up and see my collection of etchings"! Wink

Unfortunately, The chances of me being in London anytime soon are close to nil unless I happen to win the lottery or something.

In the early 1900's where the collar, part-front and the sleeves from the elbows-to-wrists are on show they wore cropped top blouses underneath with only the bits that showed having the beading, lace or embroidery.

Of course they wore a chemise and corset and corset cover underneath, so very little of the top layer of fabric actually touched the skin.  But a lot of original tops have sweat marks under the arms.

Someday you should post photos of those online. Clothing history is always in need of new sources.
Sam Watson
Snr. Officer

Steampunk Cowboy

« Reply #670 on: December 10, 2013, 03:02:41 pm »

I finally got a chance to finish my 1830s vest.

frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #671 on: December 11, 2013, 12:40:48 am »

Hi Sam, that is lovely.

Can I ask you, do you find that the armholes are a tad tight?  I ask this due to the diagonal creases that go from your shoulders to the armhole on the front, both in wear and when the garment is laid flat.
Sam Watson
Snr. Officer

Steampunk Cowboy

« Reply #672 on: December 11, 2013, 10:34:27 pm »

Frances, I'm going to look into that, because it was mentioned to me elsewhere as well. They don't *feel* tight, but I'll experiment, and possibly let some out of the dart that's there. I had initially thought it was the balance of the neck/lapels, but it bears some exploration.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #673 on: December 12, 2013, 08:15:30 pm »

You could try putting a little pad under the shoulder seam at the outside edge to lift the shoulder a little.  That might remove the crease line too.  Good Luck.
Col.gonvville
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #674 on: December 15, 2013, 07:46:06 am »

Hello,the vest looks great!

I have the same problem with the vests I made. If you figure out how to fix it please let me know.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: