The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 21, 2020, 10:13:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you sewing anything right now? Mk II  (Read 67434 times)
Lady Toadflinger
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #525 on: January 03, 2013, 05:37:23 pm »

Wilhelmina, what a stunning outfit! The colors are beautiful, I can't wait to see the completed outfit.
I'm just sewing some fabric remnants into a few pairs of spats to (attempt to) sell at an upcoming swap meet the Sacramento Steampunks are hosting. I hope they go over well, they're easy to make, and I need the income. Wink

This isn't the Junior Chamber of Commerce, Brad!
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #526 on: January 03, 2013, 06:12:43 pm »

I have been making for the bast few days a rainbow of tiny fez. So far I have 12.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Sam Watson
Snr. Officer

Steampunk Cowboy

« Reply #527 on: January 03, 2013, 07:48:40 pm »

I have been making for the bast few days a rainbow of tiny fez. So far I have 12.

That's going to be quite an army of monkeys you've got there.

Samuel Xavier Watson
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

« Reply #528 on: January 03, 2013, 08:44:06 pm »

Darn it now you know my plan for taking over the world.
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #529 on: January 04, 2013, 12:33:37 pm »

Nah, your secret is safe with us....although with the kepis I have made....hmmm....you may know my plan.  

Working on a First National Confederate flag with 7 stars.  I have the finished the "bars" since this photo was taken.  I plan to have it finished by tonight.  I need to sew in the stars and then hem the edges and add a strip of tough linen and sew grommets into it.  

The forage cap with the big visor was just finished the day before yesterday.  It is based on one from a photograph.  There is quite a story behind it. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 12:35:51 pm by D.Oakes » Logged

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

« Reply #530 on: January 04, 2013, 09:04:44 pm »

Nice I think sewing hats get better as you go along or in my case you can stich on auto pilot while watching funny things on the internet.

Now I have a proper rainbow of fez.  I think I want the brown ones to either look like chocolate or a Dalek.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #531 on: January 05, 2013, 07:07:10 am »

ms. gaslight, I had all sort of troubles making a tiny fez until I gave up on pinning the sides to the top and instead just freehand machined the two pieces together. I cut the side panel extra wide and long with a very slight curve to the edge sewn to the top. freehand took out all the extra slack in the top felt. the back seam is sewn last and you can adjust the final size a little when sewing it. I cut some thin cardboard with the same slight curve and added it inside the fez to give it ridgidity. the extra cloth is tucked inside and hot glued to the cardboard.
you can even block the felt shape over an appropriately sized drinking glass, to help tighten up the shape. I  believe I used a flintstones jelly jar/glass  Grin

the tassel is copper wire and steel arts and craft wire.

Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

« Reply #532 on: January 05, 2013, 07:16:00 am »

I want to try blocking out hats but my current work space is too cramped with next to no table space to let thing dry.  Working on my ball gown this year was an exercise in move everything out in to the hall and hope you and the dress can just barely fit.  I can't wait until I move house in to a bigger space,
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #533 on: January 06, 2013, 11:48:18 am »

I recently finished a batch of leather aviator helmets.  One was soft black lambskin with nickel silver hardware and the other four were stiff glazed brown calfskin shoe leather with brass hardware.

I was going to sew little brass bits on them, but decided to paint them instead.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
Elycium
Officer

addicted to fancy clothes

Elycium
« Reply #534 on: January 08, 2013, 02:06:46 am »

I can't wait to be finished with my projects so I can clean and re-organize my sewing room. If I do it now, I'll lose everything.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I still need to finish the sleeves, and some other small detail work, but its almost done.

Stella, those fezzes are fantastic!

"Humans need fantasy to be human."  - Death from "The Hogfather"
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

« Reply #535 on: January 08, 2013, 03:20:58 am »

Thanks. I understand needing to not loose stuff. I just moved house and my sewing stuff is all over the place.  The bonus is i have more space and get to reorganize in a better way but man hauling it around is a pain.  It is awesome my sewing machine is made of metal until I have to haul it up a flight of stairs.
Lachlan_MacAuslander
Snr. Officer

« Reply #536 on: January 08, 2013, 07:11:20 pm »

Now that the holidays are over, I think I need to work on the Turkish-inspired costume again. I'll probably start with a tarboosh/smoking hat, as it's slightly less likely that I'll sew the wrong seams together on that project... and it gives me an opportunity to play with the machine embroidery function on our soon-to-be-secondary sewing machine (I'm currently using the soon-to-be-tertiary IKEA machine...).
Sam Watson
Snr. Officer

Steampunk Cowboy

« Reply #537 on: January 10, 2013, 07:07:28 pm »

I'm working on a self-drafted frock coat. The fabric is a tan herringbone linen. I've finished making the canvas, shaping the fronts with ironwork, and pad stitching the collar:

Next up: basting in the canvas and pad stitching the lapels.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #538 on: January 10, 2013, 08:14:55 pm »

Re comments by Elycium and Stella Gaslight. All sewing rooms are in a permanent state of reorganistaion and whatever you are looking for is not quite where you thought it was.  Moved house a couple of months back and my sewing room is coming out of storage in interesting stages.  I am not good at taking pictures but when I have finished the two costumes I am working on I will ask for help from friends to do a photo shoot.  I am also very slow as I have Fibromyalgia.  The reason it's two costumes is if I get too frustrated with one I can see if there's something I can manage on the other.  Does anybody else work this way?

(the lady with the unusual) Walking Stick 
Sam Watson
Snr. Officer

Steampunk Cowboy

« Reply #539 on: January 10, 2013, 09:32:55 pm »

The reason it's two costumes is if I get too frustrated with one I can see if there's something I can manage on the other.  Does anybody else work this way?

I can't work on two things at once, because then it would soon become three things, and then four.... I need to focus on one thing at a time. I agree that sometimes something will frustrate me, but if that happens then I just take a break, and come back to it in a day or two. Usually by then I'll have spent a few hours awake in bed in the wee hours of the morning puzzling through the problem, and I can go back to it. Hurrah for insomnia!
Elycium
Officer

addicted to fancy clothes

Elycium
« Reply #540 on: January 10, 2013, 11:32:50 pm »

The reason it's two costumes is if I get too frustrated with one I can see if there's something I can manage on the other.  Does anybody else work this way?

Always. I work on multiple things because I have a short attention span. I'll get bored with a colour or style part way through, so I need to have something else I can switch to.
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #541 on: January 11, 2013, 01:50:49 am »

With my millinery, the fact I tend to stick to the historical (branching away from that soon) I can't afford not to do multiple projects at once.  Right now I have 2 chasseur visors in the process of being lacquered.  One is going to the Confederate kepi that is 85% done and the other is going to the forage cap I got a commission for that I have not even started yet (aside from the corps badge which will go on top when I am complete) in the meantime I am researching the forage cap as well keeping my eye out for anything I want to add to my list of projects.  With working a lot this week and going on a cap making binge, I am burning out a bit, so I am probably taking the night "mostly" off. 
Lady Toadflinger
Snr. Officer

« Reply #542 on: January 16, 2013, 03:00:42 am »

I do at least two projects at once, because usually one is a braided rag rug, and that work sets off my carpal tunnel syndrome, so I have to switch until the flareup is gone. Machine sewing is kinder to my hands, so I work on things like spats or bustles.
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

« Reply #543 on: January 16, 2013, 05:04:54 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My tiny fez rainbow is done so on to making squished squid scarves.
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #544 on: January 27, 2013, 01:42:48 pm »

Chopping a men's jacket up into a women's blazer today, hoping it all works out since it's going on the blog!

''I'm a loose bolt in a complete machine. What a match! I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet.''
‎"You want steampunk to be a novelty, a LOLcat, a meme. I want it to be my life. Which of us is going to fight harder for it?" - Dimitri Markotin
*DISCLAIMER*     This dungeon is fictional, and any similarities to other dungeons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

http://www.facebook.com/antevortefashion
Mention you're from BG when ordering for free shipping!
clockwork brit
Deck Hand

history is my teacher

« Reply #545 on: January 27, 2013, 01:55:19 pm »

sry no pics right now but i am making the pouches for mt belt. 

i have a question when i' making my steampunk outfit were would i post the pics
Merry Maid of Yarnover
Deck Hand

I just want to make it all...

« Reply #546 on: January 28, 2013, 03:55:50 am »

Usually by then I'll have spent a few hours awake in bed in the wee hours of the morning puzzling through the problem, and I can go back to it. Hurrah for insomnia!

I know that feeling...sometimes if I do end up falling asleep, I'll dream up the answer or an entirely new project! That's how I ended up knitting a sandworm a few weeks ago...
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

« Reply #547 on: January 28, 2013, 03:59:09 am »

If you mean where on the forum clockwork brit this is the board for you.
mephit
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #548 on: January 30, 2013, 03:11:37 pm »

I'm working on a self-drafted frock coat. The fabric is a tan herringbone linen. I've finished making the canvas, shaping the fronts with ironwork, and pad stitching the collar.
Very nice work, Mr. Watson! If I may ask, who's method did you use to draft the pattern? Cutters' Practical Guide? I've ben trying to find the time to start my own frock drafted from the CPG system but haven't had the chance yet.
Sam Watson
Snr. Officer

Steampunk Cowboy

« Reply #549 on: January 30, 2013, 05:52:06 pm »

Very nice work, Mr. Watson! If I may ask, who's method did you use to draft the pattern? Cutters' Practical Guide? I've ben trying to find the time to start my own frock drafted from the CPG system but haven't had the chance yet.

I've used the CPG for drafting a waistcoat, but for this coat I used a combination of two frock coats from R.I. Davis' Men's Garments, 1830-1900.

Here is the coat before lining it:

And with one side of the skirt lined (with a hidden tail pocket):

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: