The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 29, 2020, 08:17:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you sewing anything right now? Mk II  (Read 67147 times)
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler
United States United States

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2011, 05:10:57 am »

I made an octopus for a particular four year old who said she either wanted one of those or a kracken for xmas.  I made the pattern up as I went along and it turned out pretty good I think
body
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
suckers
finished
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 07:36:11 am by Stella Gaslight » Logged

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
MistressMagpie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2011, 07:32:27 am »

That's an adorable kracken. How did you do the suckers?

MAGPIE, n. A bird whose thievish disposition suggested to someone that it might be taught to talk.
        -- The Devil's Dictionary

Avatar made with much assistance from Ammotu's artistic talents.
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2011, 07:35:50 am »

Thanks  The suckers are tiny hair scrunchies I sewed on.  I saw them at a dollar store and they looked perfect.
Elycium
Officer

addicted to fancy clothes

Elycium
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2011, 03:12:10 pm »

Stella, that has to be the most adorable thing I have ever seen!

"Humans need fantasy to be human."  - Death from "The Hogfather"
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2011, 03:45:19 pm »

I absolutely love the Octopus! It's so wonderful. I'm sure the 4 year old with be over the moon and proceed to love it to death for at least the next decade- if not their entire lifetime =]

I'm currently cross-stitching yet another batch of xmas cards- I had less than 3 inches of red thread left when I finished doing all the red bits- perfect =]

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2011, 05:20:04 pm »

Thanks Elycium it turned out really happy looking.  I think the chain stitching around the eyes helped.

Flightless Phoenix I cant wait to see her open it xmas morning and name it.  Hopefully it will not end up like her bull she named horny.  We almost burst out laughing and then had to explain why it was a bad name.
MinervaLiRenfield
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2011, 01:26:33 am »

Slight off topic, but slightly connected.  I only have to punch 8 more grommets in the corset I mentiond previously before it's complete.  It should have been done days ago, but I got distracted when I thought it would be a good idea to make 100 different pairs of earrings. 

I think I've skattered all of my marbles across the floor and really lost my mind.

I'm at 75 pairs so far.  My sewing machine is crying from neglect.

Pivole
Gunner
England England

Salvum Terram Meam!

« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2011, 12:07:31 pm »

I'm thinking of making, though with a low probability of fruition, a patchwork waistcoat. Of course, I know nothing about clothiery at all, so any potential end result will be... Interesting, to say the lest.

Fellowship is life!
MinervaLiRenfield
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2011, 04:37:31 pm »

Finally done!

It looks a little wonky on the dress form because I don't have a dress form in the house that's the same size as the friend that's getting it.  It's too small for that particular dress form and it lacks the same curves that the person does so the corset doesn't cinch right.

Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2011, 05:43:12 pm »

Lovely corset =] your friend will be very happy!

Stella: What did the octopus get called? Hope it's not as bad as horny- although I can't think of a similarly bad name for an octopus!
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2011, 08:50:41 pm »

It was named circle head.  I have no idea why but that is but that is four year old logic.  Next time I am sewing it with button thread she has already loved a hole in it.  I forgot how hard they play.
MinervaLiRenfield
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2011, 09:26:46 pm »

Circle Head?  That's so super cute!  At that age I'd probably name him "sucker" or something like that.

I have the same problem with certain people in my life loving holes into brand new creations.  Only they're in their mid twenties and should know better. 

In the mean time I finished my new muff!  I found some faux fur at a really good prize and bought a bundle of it.  It's so nice and soft.  Lined it with red satin. The photos are yet again awful because I'm so terrible with a camera.  My apologies.

Polaris
Snr. Officer

"You again?! What are you? The Plague?"

« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2011, 02:23:35 am »

Sheer and velvet silk with peacock print. I have no idea what I'm going to make with this yet, but Merry Christmas to me! Thank's Mom!!

Anyone wanna post any dress ideas? I'm open for suggestions.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 02:25:15 am by Polaris » Logged

"Then the Gods of the Market tumbled, and their smooth-tongued wizards withdrew
And the hearts of the meanest were humbled and began to believe it was true
That all is not gold that glitters, and two and two make four
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings limped up to explain it once more."~Kipling; 1919
MistressMagpie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2011, 02:56:30 am »

That's gorgeous! How much of it did you get?
Polaris
Snr. Officer

« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2011, 03:00:48 am »

Only 5 yards Sad It was $26p/yd so I really couldn't afford much, BUT it's a 72" width versus the standard 45".... The place I got it sells by the roll instead of the bolt.
MinervaLiRenfield
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2011, 06:01:18 am »

And finally I'm done for the night with the Cloak to match the Muff...

It's black velvet with the same fur around the collar.
MistressMagpie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2011, 09:02:24 am »

Something like TV 225 or any of their 1890s skirts would look nice... the lines are smooth enough to show off the pattern. Seems a shame to put that lovely of a fabric on an underskirt though... Perhaps a totally decadent housecoat? TV 432 would be drop-dead gorgeous if you could get the layout to work.
Polaris
Snr. Officer

« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2011, 01:35:46 pm »

Something like TV 225 or any of their 1890s skirts would look nice... the lines are smooth enough to show off the pattern. Seems a shame to put that lovely of a fabric on an underskirt though... Perhaps a totally decadent housecoat? TV 432 would be drop-dead gorgeous if you could get the layout to work.

Perhaps not so surprisingly, I was thinking of TV225 myself. Or TV208 ((Skirt A)) with a silver or rich cobalt for the apron. I can make the apron a little shorter too to show off more of the printed skirt. I think if I shorten the train I MIGHT be able to pull it off.  I don't think I have enough to pull off TV432 and to be honest it's not quite my style. Also thought maybe TV294 with TVE41?

Another thought I had was to use it for part of #1478 ((4th one down)) The 1891 Green Velvet & Satin Evening Dress.

The sheer material is so dark looks best with a very bright- almost neon- blue, green or fushia under it. Makes the whole deal really sparkle.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 01:40:53 pm by Polaris » Logged
MinervaLiRenfield
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2011, 03:18:00 pm »

I think you could make an awesome Cheongsam out of it.  With the peacocks flowing over the front of the skirt it would look stunning.
Polaris
Snr. Officer

« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2011, 03:19:55 pm »

Got a picture or pattern for that? I'm not entirely sure what a Cheongsam is.... :\
MinervaLiRenfield
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2011, 03:23:57 pm »

Sure! 

Pattern - http://folkwear.com/122.html

Picture -
Polaris
Snr. Officer

« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2011, 03:33:25 pm »

AH! Yes it would work pretty well one of those! Cheesy I've got several of those things in various brocade silks. There's a shop in my hometown that sells them for cheap.
MinervaLiRenfield
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2011, 03:34:51 pm »

Oooh Nice.  I think they look so elegant.
rhylla
Snr. Officer

The Navigator

« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2011, 04:33:01 pm »

I'm almost finished making a bustle to wear over a skirt for New Year's Eve. had some trouble working out the pattern so i kinda ended up winging it a little. but really pleased with the result.... will get pics when i finally get a chance to wear it!

i got given the material because i "would know what to do with something like that" it's gorgeous, black and grey with a gold embroidered pattern Cheesy

-Rhylla-

Navigator of the Airship Tartan Crow (and the reason why we generally travel in the wrong direction!)
MistressMagpie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2011, 01:34:00 am »

Perhaps not so surprisingly, I was thinking of TV225 myself. Or TV208 ((Skirt A)) with a silver or rich cobalt for the apron. I can make the apron a little shorter too to show off more of the printed skirt. I think if I shorten the train I MIGHT be able to pull it off.  I don't think I have enough to pull off TV432 and to be honest it's not quite my style. Also thought maybe TV294 with TVE41?

Another thought I had was to use it for part of #1478 ((4th one down)) The 1891 Green Velvet & Satin Evening Dress.

The sheer material is so dark looks best with a very bright- almost neon- blue, green or fushia under it. Makes the whole deal really sparkle.

Hmm... That Edwardian combo is lovely. Were you thinking of doing both the skirt and waist in the peacock fabric? I'd be worried that it'd  be too much of  good thing. It'd look splendid if you did the waist in the silver or cobalt you mentioned... I'm not totally enthused with the idea of putting an apron over it, but I think that's just my kneejerk reaction to pretty, pretty fabric and it would likely look fine.

I'm going to stop babbling now and say that I like TV294+TVE41 best, followed by #1478, then the skirt and apron combos.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: