The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 11, 2020, 08:57:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you sewing anything right now? Mk II  (Read 68365 times)
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler
United States United States

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #425 on: October 05, 2012, 09:58:41 pm »

I would find a complementary fabric and make bands for under both armpits and possibly the back so it looks like a design feature and not an alteration. 

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
ktara
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #426 on: October 05, 2012, 10:19:26 pm »

You mean whole side panels, or something else?

Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #427 on: October 06, 2012, 12:34:19 am »

I would open the seams and add contrasting fabric perhaps with a lace overlay.  I find that if you spread the extra size you need that way it fits a lot better.   
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #428 on: October 06, 2012, 01:53:41 am »

How much too small is it?  If you could find a wider ribbon, say 1 1/2 inch for the inserts to match a narrow ribbon for the lacing you could add 1/2 inch or a little more at each seam.  4 seams gives you 2 inches extra.  Trim the fabric so that the ribbon is a consistent width all the way down.
ktara
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #429 on: October 06, 2012, 04:09:42 am »

I'd call it about one size too small, but only on the sides.  The bust is good and tight, as it should be, and as I want it.  The hubby had a really good idea.  Remove the zip and sew that side up, open the back and put in a panel of the complementing fabric with some eyelets and he'll lace me in.  That way I can make the back as wide as I need to, with some extra inside (to let it out if I end up needing to down the road), and the leather lacing will pull it all in Smiley   I gots me a smart man Cheesy
MsKim
Snr. Officer

thepeachmartini
« Reply #430 on: October 09, 2012, 01:17:16 am »

I finished a baby bib and some "pee-pee teepees" for a dear friend's little boy who should have made his debut this afternoon. (The pee-pee teepees are little cone shaped doodads intended to protect the diaper changer from surprise showers...a silly novelty gift as I doubt they provide that much protection!) Smiley

~Miss Amelia Featherstone~
Adventurer and Tinkerer
NW Indiana
"Why Kate, you're not wearing a bustle. How lewd." ~Doc Holliday, Tombstone
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #431 on: October 09, 2012, 11:14:57 am »

The aforementioned inverness coat. Not for me, but couldn't resist modelling it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With his stovepipe hat and his drainpipe trousers he was a credit to his ironmonger.

NEW Discerning Scoundrel blog
Sam Watson
Snr. Officer

Steampunk Cowboy

« Reply #432 on: October 09, 2012, 02:52:04 pm »

The aforementioned inverness coat. Not for me, but couldn't resist modelling it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Very smart indeed!

Samuel Xavier Watson
SweetestPoison
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

« Reply #433 on: October 13, 2012, 10:50:29 pm »

This is my Mina Harker costume so far; disregard the mismatching jumper.

TV496  (Jacket)
TV296  (skirt) over TV170 (petticoat).

Has anyone ever made TV296? there are dots marked on the inside of the skirt for a "tape" to be attached while wearing the skirt. What is this and how does it work? there is no pattern piece for the tape, is it just a ribbon? how long does it have to be? I am a bit confused about it all.

D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #434 on: October 13, 2012, 11:37:00 pm »

TV496  (Jacket)

Has anyone ever made TV296? there are dots marked on the inside of the skirt for a "tape" to be attached while wearing the skirt. What is this and how does it work? there is no pattern piece for the tape, is it just a ribbon? how long does it have to be? I am a bit confused about it all.

I just have to say from a photography point of view....AWESOME SHOT!!!!  That forced perspective adds and element of "eeriness" to it in a great way!  (great sewing by the way haha) 

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #435 on: October 14, 2012, 03:48:00 pm »

TV496  (Jacket)

Where on the skirt, roughly, are the dots? I've seen instruction for some 1890s skirts call for elastic on the inside to ensure the skirt hangs neatly in even flutes.
SweetestPoison
Zeppelin Captain

Gravatar

« Reply #436 on: October 16, 2012, 03:48:20 pm »

Where on the skirt, roughly, are the dots? I've seen instruction for some 1890s skirts call for elastic on the inside to ensure the skirt hangs neatly in even flutes.
pretty much in the middle of the huge side panels; I'm assuming it's for this kind of purpose, but the instructions only say "While the skirt is worn, pin ends of tape to inside of skirt at the front seams. pin side panel to tape as marked on the pattern piece. pin all back seams to tape. adjust pins and tape until the skirts hangs nciely in folds. tack in place."

CONFUSED!

I just have to say from a photography point of view....AWESOME SHOT!!!!  That forced perspective adds and element of "eeriness" to it in a great way!  (great sewing by the way haha) 

thanks ^^ purely accidental.
ktara
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #437 on: October 16, 2012, 06:12:04 pm »

Found something on this:   2 yards tape (may use ribbon)   http://www.amazon.com/Truly-Victorian-TV296-Ripple-Pattern/dp/B002A5ZJOU   Go down to Product Description.

Could this be something like sweat pants and the string you pull them tight with, except inside the skirt instead of the outside?  It almost sounds like it's for adjustment, but more permanent.
LadyAsprin
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Sabreuse.

« Reply #438 on: October 16, 2012, 06:44:40 pm »

Or could it be to create a bustle effect?

Only girls fight with swords these days.(Wellington - Duel and Duality - Blackadder III)
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #439 on: October 16, 2012, 07:24:51 pm »

pretty much in the middle of the huge side panels; I'm assuming it's for this kind of purpose, but the instructions only say "While the skirt is worn, pin ends of tape to inside of skirt at the front seams. pin side panel to tape as marked on the pattern piece. pin all back seams to tape. adjust pins and tape until the skirts hangs nciely in folds. tack in place."

CONFUSED!

I'm guessing that it is suggesting something like this.

Put the skirt on.
Pin the tape to the first mark.
Pin the tape to subsequent marks, using trial and error to get the correct hang (are there marks on the edges of the back panels as well?).
The tape between each mark will be a little shorter than the same distance across the material.
Carefully take off the skirt without dislodging the pins, or tack the tape in place while still wearing the skirt, then take it off (the latter could be tricky).
Hand sew the tape to the marks, trying not to make it visible on the outside (I'm guessing these are mostly on the seams).

But I could be wrong. It sounds like the kind of job that would benefit from either an assistant or a form.

Just had a glance at a sketch of TV296 - the tape is definitely to create flutes, not a bustle. I'd have been surprised to find bustling on an 1895 skirt  Wink
LadyAsprin
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Sabreuse.

« Reply #440 on: October 16, 2012, 10:05:31 pm »

CONFUSED!

I'm guessing that it is suggesting something like this.

Put the skirt on.
Pin the tape to the first mark.
Pin the tape to subsequent marks, using trial and error to get the correct hang (are there marks on the edges of the back panels as well?).
The tape between each mark will be a little shorter than the same distance across the material.
Carefully take off the skirt without dislodging the pins, or tack the tape in place while still wearing the skirt, then take it off (the latter could be tricky).
Hand sew the tape to the marks, trying not to make it visible on the outside (I'm guessing these are mostly on the seams).

But I could be wrong. It sounds like the kind of job that would benefit from either an assistant or a form.

Just had a glance at a sketch of TV296 - the tape is definitely to create flutes, not a bustle. I'd have been surprised to find bustling on an 1895 skirt  Wink

I meant to hold the effect, I was on the way to fencing and my brain was in fencing mode not sewing mode.
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #441 on: October 16, 2012, 11:05:48 pm »

New Waistcoat and Shirt.

Waistcoat is handloom silk dupion with silk lining and back. The photos really don't do justice to the richness of the purple handloom silk. The back is laced for a better and closer fit than a strap.

Shirt is a simple fly front shirt with French cuffs and fittings for a detachable collar, made from cotton satin. It's a bit more of an office shirt type shirt than my usual ones, and will be probably getting a couple of collars appropriate to wear with a modern necktie.

Trousers are narrow fall, cut with an 1850 cutting system, although these aren't new.

LadyAsprin - probably better to have mind on fencing when posting on t'internet than vice versa  Cheesy
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #442 on: October 17, 2012, 08:35:33 am »

Very gentlemanly, Unsubtle!
SweetestPoison
Zeppelin Captain

Gravatar

« Reply #443 on: October 17, 2012, 04:54:12 pm »

Found something on this:   2 yards tape (may use ribbon)   http://www.amazon.com/Truly-Victorian-TV296-Ripple-Pattern/dp/B002A5ZJOU   Go down to Product Description.

Could this be something like sweat pants and the string you pull them tight with, except inside the skirt instead of the outside?  It almost sounds like it's for adjustment, but more permanent.

that's the skirt! I totally missed the two yards part ^^
ktara
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #444 on: October 17, 2012, 11:46:06 pm »

So, I bought this tonight Smiley  1936 128 electric motor (treadle turns it on).  Then I'll be able to fix up lots of outfits Cheesy

« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 03:12:19 am by ktara » Logged
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #445 on: October 18, 2012, 10:47:27 am »

^ Envy ^
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #446 on: October 18, 2012, 11:32:56 am »

Yes, 'envy' - I wants one, too!!
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #447 on: October 18, 2012, 07:06:41 pm »

I've  got an 1908 model like that.  You are welcome to come round and play with it.
Darkling
Officer

« Reply #448 on: October 18, 2012, 09:42:18 pm »

I've started making a bustle outfit (amongst other things). The back of the skirt appears to be about 5 inches shorter than me!
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #449 on: October 19, 2012, 07:44:25 pm »

When you say the back of the skirt - do you have a skirt with a bustle over the top, ie two separate skirt pieces, or is the bustle piece the back panel of the skirt.

If you put a bustle pad under the the back of a skirt then it will lift the skirt up so that the hem is usually by 4 or 5 inches high.  If this is a separate bustle that goes over a skirt it does not matter if it is higher. 

If this is part of the skirt then you will have to lengthen it.  This is best done at the waist end so that any seams and tucks disappear into the rest of the bustle fabric folds.  If you have already sewn it and are reluctant to unpick the two seams then you could lengthen the bustle by adding rows of pleats of different styles.

Is that clear?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: