The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 06, 2020, 03:59:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you sewing anything right now? Mk II  (Read 67776 times)
Madame Curatrix
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #375 on: August 28, 2012, 04:59:32 pm »

I've been working on a Victorian-inspired beaded cape for me to wear at an upcoming event.

I assembled it from cutting up a 1980's velvet jacket I found at the Salvation Army thrift store, a black beaded shawl I found at a yard sale, braided trim I got at the local flea market, a fancy beaded applique from the internet, and beaded fringe trim from an awesome local fabric warehouse. The clasp is going to be a vintage black rhinestone brooch from the flea market.

My most ambitious sewing project to date, and all hand-sewn. Smiley

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(if some things look a bit off kilter it's because I haven't finished attaching the shawl to the velvet base yet Smiley )
LadyAsprin
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Sabreuse.

« Reply #376 on: August 28, 2012, 05:50:10 pm »

I've been working on a Victorian-inspired beaded cape for me to wear at an upcoming event.

I assembled it from cutting up a 1980's velvet jacket I found at the Salvation Army thrift store, a black beaded shawl I found at a yard sale, braided trim I got at the local flea market, a fancy beaded applique from the internet, and beaded fringe trim from an awesome local fabric warehouse. The clasp is going to be a vintage black rhinestone brooch from the flea market.

(if some things look a bit off kilter it's because I haven't finished attaching the shawl to the velvet base yet Smiley )

Very nice.

Only girls fight with swords these days.(Wellington - Duel and Duality - Blackadder III)
Cath Hulu
Deck Hand
Wales Wales

« Reply #377 on: August 28, 2012, 06:09:25 pm »

oooh that is beautiful!!

Those who wander aren't always lost
Madame Curatrix
Snr. Officer

« Reply #378 on: August 28, 2012, 09:53:51 pm »

Thank you, ladies! Smiley
Wilhelmina Frame
Zeppelin Captain

ptliontamer
« Reply #379 on: August 28, 2012, 11:06:43 pm »

I've nearly finished a new corset for my wife, for the Asylum. All it needs is binding added to the top and bottom, and I'm going to dye the lacing navy.

That's 28 flat steel bones, linen lining, linen canvas interior, and navy duck front, rivets reinforced with buckram, and the design fell stitched on top. Pretty much bombproof.

That's fabulous! (I just got the cheap shiny one from corset-story)

I'll keep an eye out for that corset and be sure to say hello!

Part Time Lion Tamer
Editrix de Mode, Steampunk Chronicle
Founder, American Tea Duelling Society
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #380 on: August 28, 2012, 11:23:53 pm »

Mme Curatrix, How very splendid indeed.  So similar to the originals, yet less fragile.  A wonderful way to look 1890's yet not have beads falling off every time you move.  I'm jealous.  On the other hand I did decide many years ago not to wear too many black items as I was photographed constantly and black just comes out as a blob.  Yours however will photograph beautifully in sunlight and in the evenings too.  I hope that I get to see it in real life one day.

Hi Stella,
That is a brilliant design.  futuristic 1920's.  Great / cool (depending upon your age-group).

Hi Cath,
The fabric for your overbust corset is really nice.  Does it give you uplift?  I have been looking at this style of corset and decided against it as I like my Victorian bustline to be higher than my natural one.  I would have thought that this design covers rather than adds to the cleavage.  Am I right?

I think that Mrs Union Jack's corset will be fairly easily recognisable even in a large crowd, don't you?

Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #381 on: August 29, 2012, 05:32:21 am »

Thanks frances It is going to be the under layer of my big performance piece.  I have two other ball gowns over it that i spin out of on stage and a fur cape to do by mid october so I am working like a mad woman.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
vampyresheep
Snr. Officer

« Reply #382 on: August 29, 2012, 09:23:11 am »

wow, that is gorgeous!
Madame Curatrix
Snr. Officer

« Reply #383 on: August 29, 2012, 03:42:40 pm »

Mme Curatrix, How very splendid indeed.  So similar to the originals, yet less fragile.  A wonderful way to look 1890's yet not have beads falling off every time you move.  I'm jealous.  On the other hand I did decide many years ago not to wear too many black items as I was photographed constantly and black just comes out as a blob.  Yours however will photograph beautifully in sunlight and in the evenings too.  I hope that I get to see it in real life one day.

Milady Frances, thank you so much for your kind words. I was indeed inspired by the need to have a functional version of those splendid Victorian beaded capes. I have an authentic example in my collection, but as you suggested it would be unsuitable for wear due to its age and condition.

I would dearly love to travel to the United Kingdom someday. Perhaps I'll make it to the Asylum one year!

Miss Vampyresheep, thank you for the compliment as well. Smiley
Cath Hulu
Deck Hand
Wales Wales

« Reply #384 on: August 30, 2012, 07:54:27 pm »

Hi Cath,
The fabric for your overbust corset is really nice.  Does it give you uplift?  I have been looking at this style of corset and decided against it as I like my Victorian bustline to be higher than my natural one.  I would have thought that this design covers rather than adds to the cleavage.  Am I right?

Thank you Smiley it did give slight uplift but yes I wanted to have more coverage as this was being made as part of an ensemble I was wearing to a friends wedding and I always feel like I have a bit of a shelf going on in my normal corsets
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #385 on: August 30, 2012, 09:43:37 pm »

Wow, you are all creating such fabulous things at the moment. How I wish my skills were sufficient to create such masterpieces!

I do enjoy sewing though, even if If it's basic!

I made this top a couple of weeks ago, from a men's t-shirt:

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
MsKim
Snr. Officer

thepeachmartini
« Reply #386 on: September 02, 2012, 07:01:24 pm »

OK - I had a reply all typed out, and my screen refreshed before I could post it!  Angry

Love the detail on the back, FP! I'm looking to do something similar on an oversized men's button down shirt, in addition to adding some pick-ups for a bustled look. I'm actually just popping over to the sewing help topic for assistance with this project...

~Miss Amelia Featherstone~
Adventurer and Tinkerer
NW Indiana
"Why Kate, you're not wearing a bustle. How lewd." ~Doc Holliday, Tombstone
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #387 on: September 02, 2012, 08:38:14 pm »

Nearly finished a shirt - lovely soft cotton lawn with marcella front and cuffs. Once that is done, it's just a black dress waistcoat and another collar or three and I'm ready for the Asylum  Cheesy

With his stovepipe hat and his drainpipe trousers he was a credit to his ironmonger.

NEW Discerning Scoundrel blog
Noisynell ArkAngel
Gunner

« Reply #388 on: September 02, 2012, 09:48:21 pm »

that is simply stunning Smiley
ktara
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #389 on: September 03, 2012, 12:29:21 am »

Simply gorgeous Smiley 

MsKim
Snr. Officer

thepeachmartini
« Reply #390 on: September 07, 2012, 02:05:24 pm »

I am about 95% finished with part of my Halloween get-up...this is my first 'real' sewing project involving an article of clothing and my sewing machine, so I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. No pattern, just eyeballing it and lots of unladylike words Smiley I just have to figure a way for attaching it to my clothing - snaps? Hook-and-eye clasps? I didn't like the look of having it tied around the waist...anywho...

SweetestPoison
Zeppelin Captain

Gravatar

« Reply #391 on: September 10, 2012, 09:03:04 pm »

I'm having a go at TV496 for a Mina Harker costume. this is the as yet unadjusted mock up I made today out of an old piece of fabric my greataunt used to cover her shrubs in winter with ^^ hence the questionable colour.

Front

and the back

I have had a few TV patterns and i have to say this one has by far the most well constructed bodice I've come across. sure, it's still a bit baggy, but it doesn't need a million darts and tucks to fit, unlike TV442, which needed a ton of adjustments. possibly also because I fitted that one to my corset, which I'm not doing with this one.

MsKim, what do you plan on attaching it to? snaps would probably come undone too easily, given the weight of the fabric. Especially if you plan on twirling. hook and eye might be your best bet and i't put in at least four.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 09:05:32 pm by SweetestPoison » Logged

MsKim
Snr. Officer

thepeachmartini
« Reply #392 on: September 10, 2012, 10:06:27 pm »

MsKim, what do you plan on attaching it to? snaps would probably come undone too easily, given the weight of the fabric. Especially if you plan on twirling. hook and eye might be your best bet and i't put in at least four.

This is going to be attached to a skirt at the waistband; it's very lightweight - a sort of satin (it was in the discount bin, unmarked). I did worry with snaps that sitting may cause them to come undone easily, so I'll give the hook and eye method a go. I have two skirts from which to choose, so I will experiment with both to see which hangs best. I also considered making a cushion for a little more...oomph...nothing worse than a deflated bustle! Wink
SweetestPoison
Zeppelin Captain

Gravatar

« Reply #393 on: September 10, 2012, 10:43:51 pm »

absolutely! my first bustle pad was a halfmoon-shaped pillow I eyeballed out of old jeans Cheesy
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #394 on: September 11, 2012, 04:09:23 am »

I'm hand stitching another kepi, got a request from a guy at the local tattoo shop.  This is going to be more steamPUNK than steampunk.  Haha.   Grin

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #395 on: September 11, 2012, 06:06:41 am »

I'm having a go at TV496 for a Mina Harker costume. this is the as yet unadjusted mock up I made today out of an old piece of fabric my greataunt used to cover her shrubs in winter with ^^ hence the questionable colour.

Front

and the back

I have had a few TV patterns and i have to say this one has by far the most well constructed bodice I've come across. sure, it's still a bit baggy, but it doesn't need a million darts and tucks to fit, unlike TV442, which needed a ton of adjustments. possibly also because I fitted that one to my corset, which I'm not doing with this one.

I do love puffy sleeves, aka Sleeves of Doom
SweetestPoison
Zeppelin Captain

Gravatar

« Reply #396 on: September 11, 2012, 10:27:38 am »

I do love puffy sleeves, aka Sleeves of Doom

they are the best, although they make me look like a prize boxer.
Anastacia
Officer

« Reply #397 on: September 12, 2012, 11:23:37 pm »

I tried sewing leather for the first time last weekend. I was just trying to attach a strap onto a pair of goggles I've been working on, off-and-on. It was probably one of the scariest things I've ever done, I felt like I was going to skewer myself or put out an eye. After Googling some tips about the particular subject, I feel kind of foolish for not just gluing the silly thing. I suppose it's still do-able, considering I couldn't even finish, and I bent my needle, anyway.  Embarrassed

Does anybody know anything about wool blends? I wanted to make a piece of outerwear, and the pattern I'm following suggests wool flannel, but all I could find at my favored fabric place was wool felt. I don't know if that would be a viable substitute, or what kinds of problems I might have when it comes to pressing seams--would the wool burn or shrink? I'm afraid I'm a bit clueless.
Miss Groves
Zeppelin Captain

running out of steam

« Reply #398 on: September 13, 2012, 01:48:26 pm »

wool and wool blends WILL shrink on hot washes.
It also depends on what you mean by felt too. Sometimes it means felt and sometimes it is actually a 'fulled' cloth
(by that i mean a woven cloth that has had a finish applied to it to make it soft and the woven strands less visible as opposed to felt that is not woven, flannel is usually cotton and fulled nowadays)

When pressing wool and wool blends the heat is usually a medium hot heat (on my iron anyway)

Happy Solar Circumnavigation Day!
"Art in the blood is liable to take the strangest of forms." - Sherlock Holmes
Let's eat Grandpa. Let's eat, Grandpa. Punctuation can save someone's life.
£5 out of £295 for a metal clay kiln : ( 
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #399 on: September 13, 2012, 06:23:46 pm »

I will use felt as an accent on a hat or jacket, but rarely as major structure.  By its manufacture, it has a tendency to stretch a bit too much for my taste, the sort of stretch that does not bounce back.  (except in a well done hat) 
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: