The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 02, 2020, 04:04:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you sewing anything right now? Mk II  (Read 67740 times)
Wilhelmina Frame
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

ptliontamer
« Reply #350 on: July 15, 2012, 03:56:46 am »

from a historical fashion point of view it's supposed to look as it does. Lots of heavy swags.

Part Time Lion Tamer
Editrix de Mode, Steampunk Chronicle
Founder, American Tea Duelling Society
Miss Peggy Bone
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #351 on: July 15, 2012, 08:24:24 am »

Hi Peggy,

The reason I mentioned it is - see the way the fabric about one third of the way down from the waist seems to bend inwards?  If you had a shallow bustle pad that reaches down to here it would spread your lovely fabric out as you walk, rather than collapsing like this appears to do.  Do you see what I mean?

You could have a petticoat with stiff/starched ruffles up the back that would do the same thing, of course.  Let me know what you think.

I absolutely see why you mentioned this Frances Smiley

The problem with either of those solutions is that the sides and back hold their shape using drawstrings so a bustle pad or ruffled petticoat would sit between me and the drawstrings and not really add to the structure if you see what I mean. I could photograph the inside of the overskirt if you like to show you how this works Smiley

Once I put both skirts on me rather than a tailors dummy and I get the drawstrings on both skirts pulled in for my figure, then it does hold it's shape better and the swags and gathering become more 'poofed' if you see what I mean.

Wilhelmina, you couldn't be more right saying heavy swags, these are probably the heaviest skirts I own and they broke several hangers before I found one strong enough to hold them!   Cheesy

Visit my Etsy shop. 
Range of cuff links now available http://www.etsy.com/shop/madebypeggy?section_id=10514346
Cravats, Victorian Bow Ties, Cufflinks and Tie Pins.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/misspeggybone
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #352 on: July 15, 2012, 05:55:39 pm »

I realise that you are not going for this look, but have you seen the video of a lady getting dressed in 1870's:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/HowToMake/underneath/Victorian/Victorian%20Underwear2.html

under the first three pictures there is the link to the video.  (I do not agree with everything the man says, but which costume-maker ever agrees 100% with another one?  Cheesy)
Lady Toadflinger
Snr. Officer

« Reply #353 on: July 16, 2012, 10:15:37 pm »

I have been working on this outfit to enter in the local county fair. The class is Costumes, in the "Home Arts" category.(A bit dated, that!) Anyway, I just finished decorating my parasol and sewing the blouse for the outfit. Up to now I have been wearing it with off-the-rack blouses from the thrift stores.

The outfit includes the hat,purse,parasol and boots. (I do love my black and white stripes! Cheesy)

This isn't the Junior Chamber of Commerce, Brad!
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #354 on: July 16, 2012, 11:47:28 pm »

Very nice indeed, Lady Toadflinger!  If you don't win, or at least place highly, there is no justice!
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #355 on: July 17, 2012, 12:21:30 am »

Good luck, Lady Toadflinger, and do let us know how it goes.

I am sewing buttonholes.  Many, many buttonholes, by hand, with silk buttonhole twist.  It is strangely meditative.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #356 on: July 17, 2012, 06:15:50 am »

Bit like making rosary beads!
Miss Peggy Bone
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #357 on: July 17, 2012, 12:14:45 pm »

I have been working on this outfit to enter in the local county fair. The class is Costumes, in the "Home Arts" category.(A bit dated, that!) Anyway, I just finished decorating my parasol and sewing the blouse for the outfit. Up to now I have been wearing it with off-the-rack blouses from the thrift stores.

The outfit includes the hat,purse,parasol and boots. (I do love my black and white stripes! Cheesy)

Absolutely adorable, good luck!  Smiley
Sam Watson
Snr. Officer

Steampunk Cowboy

« Reply #358 on: July 17, 2012, 02:40:31 pm »

I love the fabric on that hat! Very nice indeed.

I am sewing buttonholes.  Many, many buttonholes, by hand, with silk buttonhole twist.  It is strangely meditative.

I won't use my sewing machine to make buttonholes anymore. All are done by hand. Makes for a little longer time sewing, but I figure what's an extra day or two (or three or four) compared to how long I'll wear the garment?

Samuel Xavier Watson
Uncle Arthur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #359 on: July 17, 2012, 04:13:56 pm »

I hate trying to do buttonholes on either of my machines. They all end up done by hand.

If at first you don't succeed , CHEAT!
Lady Toadflinger
Snr. Officer

« Reply #360 on: July 17, 2012, 04:23:14 pm »

Thank you all for the kind comments.  I'll let you know how it goes. Smiley
I don't do many buttonholes in my sewing, but my machine, a 30+ year old Kenmore, has an attachment that makes great buttonholes.  Huzzah for the older, metal sewing machines!
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #361 on: July 18, 2012, 02:21:44 am »

You are so right Lady Toadflinger,

I got rid of my old metal machine and bought a light-weight plasticky affair mainly because it was more modern.  Oh, how I have regretted it.  It sewed so much better and just went on and on with never a problem.  *sigh*
Uncle Arthur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #362 on: July 18, 2012, 03:14:21 am »

My main machine is a sixties Viking that survived Home Economics in the local High School. Sadly the buttonhole attachment vanished with the years.  LOVE that machine. I have made tents with it!
Sam Watson
Snr. Officer

Steampunk Cowboy

« Reply #363 on: July 18, 2012, 04:00:59 pm »

I'm still working on my trousers. I just have to put in the waist lining and then I'm finished! Here are my hand-sewn buttonholes on the fly:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The bottom buttonhole was an experiment with a slightly different style. I don't like it - too boxy. The top one came out the best. You'll never see any of them when I wear the trousers. Smiley

There's a lot of structure going on inside the trousers. Here's a shot of some of the linen stays thoughout:

Pocket stays, side seam stays, waist stays, and button stays for the braces.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 04:03:37 pm by Sam Watson » Logged
Miss Groves
Zeppelin Captain

running out of steam

« Reply #364 on: July 18, 2012, 11:11:09 pm »

mr watson, those are beautiful!
handworked buttonholes are one of the hardest things to do well after corset boning in my opinion.

I wish i had some more free time, i was supposed to have completed my everyday outfit in may but that all went up the spout.
I have to just come here and ogle all the amazing work you guys do instead <3

Happy Solar Circumnavigation Day!
"Art in the blood is liable to take the strangest of forms." - Sherlock Holmes
Let's eat Grandpa. Let's eat, Grandpa. Punctuation can save someone's life.
£5 out of £295 for a metal clay kiln : ( 
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #365 on: July 19, 2012, 12:37:31 am »

mr watson, those are beautiful!
handworked buttonholes are one of the hardest things to do well after corset boning in my opinion.

I wish i had some more free time, i was supposed to have completed my everyday outfit in may but that all went up the spout.
I have to just come here and ogle all the amazing work you guys do instead <3

Is corset boning difficult?  I thought maybe the flossing patterns at the ends of the bones might be.
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #366 on: July 19, 2012, 04:04:24 am »

I was instructed by a co-worker and some old friends of mine to keep making hats and caps....so I guess I must keep sewing despite completing my gentlemen's challenge entry. 

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #367 on: July 19, 2012, 02:41:39 pm »

Metal framed machines can still be had - my new Singer is, IIRC, built on a metal frame, and it makes a fairly nice buttonhole. Not anything like as nice as Mr Watson's fine examples, but nice enough and better than my hand buttonholes tend to turn out.

(Ho hum, posting from a train - still no internet at my flat. Pictures of recent creations will consequently have to wait).

With his stovepipe hat and his drainpipe trousers he was a credit to his ironmonger.

NEW Discerning Scoundrel blog
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #368 on: July 20, 2012, 09:49:02 am »

TRYING to motivate myself to finish a corset for an order, it's not going too well :')

''I'm a loose bolt in a complete machine. What a match! I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet.''
‎"You want steampunk to be a novelty, a LOLcat, a meme. I want it to be my life. Which of us is going to fight harder for it?" - Dimitri Markotin
*DISCLAIMER*     This dungeon is fictional, and any similarities to other dungeons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

http://www.facebook.com/antevortefashion
Mention you're from BG when ordering for free shipping!
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #369 on: July 20, 2012, 01:21:55 pm »

Corsets that fit and do their stuff are not easy things to tackle.  Have you looked at any of the online guides to help motivate you?
Francis J. Hemsworth
Deck Hand

« Reply #370 on: August 04, 2012, 07:08:09 am »

I just finished this vest and the bracer today.

Howdy, ya'll!
Elycium
Officer

addicted to fancy clothes

Elycium
« Reply #371 on: August 26, 2012, 02:21:03 am »

Working on a corslette at the moment (using the TV pattern). Its coming along rather nicely thus far. Just need to order the boning for it.

"Humans need fantasy to be human."  - Death from "The Hogfather"
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #372 on: August 26, 2012, 07:28:08 pm »

I have been working on this for around three months. It is all hand painted and beaded.  It glows in the dark too but I cant get a good shot of it.

Front

Back

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Cath Hulu
Deck Hand
Wales Wales

« Reply #373 on: August 28, 2012, 03:27:52 pm »

currently I am adapting a custom corset pattern to make myself an underbust corset for everyday wear.  I'm planning on boning it with rigiline as I used this for another corset I wear and I actually got a pretty good shape in it while being totally comfortable.  This is the one I am adapting from Smiley (sorry not sure how to share Flickr pics)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cath-hulu/7880441742/#

Those who wander aren't always lost
Sam Watson
Snr. Officer

Steampunk Cowboy

« Reply #374 on: August 28, 2012, 04:01:14 pm »

I've nearly finished a new corset for my wife, for the Asylum. All it needs is binding added to the top and bottom, and I'm going to dye the lacing navy.

That's 28 flat steel bones, linen lining, linen canvas interior, and navy duck front, rivets reinforced with buckram, and the design fell stitched on top. Pretty much bombproof.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: