The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 29, 2020, 06:01:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you sewing anything right now? Mk II  (Read 68115 times)
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #275 on: May 10, 2012, 11:05:54 pm »

Hi Ms Pipistrella,

I wouldn't use interfacing for the waist-band - there is a special tape that goes inside the cloth, and I have completely forgotten its name.  It is extra strong and will keep the skirt tight around your waist whether the top is straight or on the bias. - that is it, petersham.

At the hem? well that depends upon the thickness of the fabric you are using.  It is used to make the bottom a bit stiffer so that the skirt hangs more like a triangle, with fewer ins-&-outs, if you see what I mean.  So you can use any thickness that you happen to have.  You can also add 'dust ruffles' on the underside (gathered or pleated fabric 3 or 4 inches deep) which will also help to give the correct silhouette. 

On the outside of the skirt hem a row of pleating was also often added.  There are many different types of pleats that they used.  All of this will help stiffen the hem.  Of course the correct petticoat with the same triangular shape would be correct, for the same reason.  This is the difference between dressing-up clothes and something that looks authentic.

I wish you well with this.  There is nothing like the feeling one gets from swanning around in an outfit one has made for oneself.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #276 on: May 11, 2012, 12:57:12 am »

I'll go along with that! When I was too poor to buy clothes (unemployed, years ago) I made my own trousers, firstly just to wear around the house, but later on I got confident enough to even wear them to work (after I got a job). Was even complimented on how nice they looked! for an otherwise life-long non-sewer, this was quite an achievement, believe me!  Grin
jemamus
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #277 on: May 11, 2012, 01:14:19 am »

I am starting a 1870ish pair of trousers this weekend.  I'll take pictures and post about my travels as I go for anybody that's interested.

Letter writing is the only device for combining solitude with good company - Lord Byron
MistressMagpie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #278 on: May 12, 2012, 09:40:23 am »

I've just started on the Laughing Moon 1890's five gore skirt pattern (#101) and have a question that I hope one of you will be able to answer.

The pattern includes some pieces to be cut out in interfacing but I can't find any mention on the packet or in the instructions of what weight of interfacing I should be using.   It's for the waistband and the facings for the bottom of the skirt .

It would depend on the weight of the main fabric-- the lighter your fashion layer, the lighter the interfacing. You want something that'll help it behave, but not make a harsh line where it stops or make the skirt hang oddly. The waistband will be more forgiving if you go a little heavier than strictly necessary. Have you tried the TV forums? The lady that writes the patterns if fairly active there, and could answer your question directly, with a bit more precision than I. Wink

MAGPIE, n. A bird whose thievish disposition suggested to someone that it might be taught to talk.
        -- The Devil's Dictionary

Avatar made with much assistance from Ammotu's artistic talents.
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #279 on: May 12, 2012, 05:42:57 pm »

a few 1950's dresses for a customer, and a skirt for a lovely lady to wear for the Asylum Ball!

''I'm a loose bolt in a complete machine. What a match! I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet.''
‎"You want steampunk to be a novelty, a LOLcat, a meme. I want it to be my life. Which of us is going to fight harder for it?" - Dimitri Markotin
*DISCLAIMER*     This dungeon is fictional, and any similarities to other dungeons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

http://www.facebook.com/antevortefashion
Mention you're from BG when ordering for free shipping!
Miss Groves
Zeppelin Captain

running out of steam

« Reply #280 on: May 18, 2012, 01:01:44 am »

Hi Ms Pipistrella,

I wouldn't use interfacing for the waist-band - there is a special tape that goes inside the cloth, and I have completely forgotten its name.  It is extra strong and will keep the skirt tight around your waist whether the top is straight or on the bias. - that is it, petersham.

could be petersham ?

DURR ignore me please...too tired to really read everything XDD

Happy Solar Circumnavigation Day!
"Art in the blood is liable to take the strangest of forms." - Sherlock Holmes
Let's eat Grandpa. Let's eat, Grandpa. Punctuation can save someone's life.
£5 out of £295 for a metal clay kiln : ( 
Ms Pipistrelle
Officer

« Reply #281 on: May 20, 2012, 10:51:12 pm »

In the end I used a half-width of waistband interfacing and that has worked well - probably helps that the skirt is worn over a corset.

I decided to leave off the interfacing on the hem facings since the fabric is quite stiff and that seems to have worked well.  Wore the skirt this weekend at Waltz on the Wye but I didn't remember to get any photos taken Sad

Also wore the corset I made in a Kindred Spirits bridal originals workshop - but I bent the front busk so when I make the next one I'll add an additional bone behind the busk for reinforcement.  Apparently this happened because I tried to move and sit as if I wasn't wearing a corset.
Elycium
Officer

addicted to fancy clothes

Elycium
« Reply #282 on: May 24, 2012, 04:26:05 am »

My current project. Sorry for the meh quality picture, all I had was my cellphone.  At this point, all it needs is the bias trim on the top and bottom. This is part of the undergarment ensemble for my little sister's upcoming ball gown. Sometimes the rest of my sisters tell me I'm just spoiling her rotten with all the pretty things.  Roll Eyes

"Humans need fantasy to be human."  - Death from "The Hogfather"
Elycium
Officer

Elycium
« Reply #283 on: June 03, 2012, 02:13:39 am »

Further work on the current project for my baby sister (the model in the dress). It hasn't got the trim on it yet, but its coming along swimmingly.
Miss Groves
Zeppelin Captain

running out of steam

« Reply #284 on: June 04, 2012, 02:32:55 pm »

that is so pretty and very like early Victorian romantic style
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #285 on: June 04, 2012, 03:08:41 pm »

that is so pretty and very like early Victorian romantic style

Seconded. Also, Victorian Romantic is a truly gorgeous era.

With his stovepipe hat and his drainpipe trousers he was a credit to his ironmonger.

NEW Discerning Scoundrel blog
Wilhelmina Frame
Zeppelin Captain

ptliontamer
« Reply #286 on: June 04, 2012, 03:40:51 pm »

I might finally finish my TV grand bustle today. It took me three tries to actually procure the additional black bias tape I needed.

I've been sewing a lot of smaller crafty things. I also made this little spacey dress for an event. I'm on the right in the blue wig.

Part Time Lion Tamer
Editrix de Mode, Steampunk Chronicle
Founder, American Tea Duelling Society
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #287 on: June 04, 2012, 03:56:13 pm »

Not so long ago, I decided to return to making womenswear, and have been searching for suitable victims. While I have had some luck with friends, I also got bored and started on a late 1870s inspired skirt, designed from scratch. I will soon have a very well dressed dress form  Undecided
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #288 on: June 06, 2012, 01:03:10 am »

Hi Pete,

Have you a pic yet of his creation?
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #289 on: June 06, 2012, 02:57:38 am »

Hi Pete,

Have you a pic yet of his creation?

No, currently I am at a friends house as the circuitry is gone in my flat...once I have resolved this, I shall endeavour to get a picture.
Wilhelmina Frame
Zeppelin Captain

ptliontamer
« Reply #290 on: June 06, 2012, 03:44:51 am »

I am mostly finished with my TV Grand Bustle. I left off the bottom ruffle but I think I need to put it back at least in the back.

Elycium
Officer

Elycium
« Reply #291 on: June 06, 2012, 04:06:52 am »

I am mostly finished with my TV Grand Bustle. I left off the bottom ruffle but I think I need to put it back at least in the back.

That is awesome; I'm really loving the stripes.

we're almost done with her dress. it just needs a design painted in gold on the purple fabric, and a few other touches and its set. Smiley
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #292 on: June 06, 2012, 10:47:24 pm »

Hi Wilhelmina Frame,

Nice-looking petticoat.  Hmm, there is something not quite right with the back.  Those ruffles should be parallel to the floor and they are not.  It almost looks as though you need to let the back down from the waist to get it to lie level.  Do you have someone who could do this for you as it is almost impossible to level the back of a crinoline on your own.

I would offer - but I am a little bit too far away I think.

Maybe have a little box-pleated frill all the way around the bottom hoop as otherwise it is only too easy to catch your foot in this hoop and trip yourself up as you walk.  Then all the men would have to gather round and pick you up.  Oh dear!
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #293 on: June 06, 2012, 10:49:42 pm »

Still a long way from finished

As it is going quite well, I shall probably use it as a display item.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #294 on: June 06, 2012, 11:07:49 pm »

Wish my stomach was that flat without a corset! 
Wilhelmina Frame
Zeppelin Captain

ptliontamer
« Reply #295 on: June 07, 2012, 05:07:45 am »

Hi Wilhelmina Frame,

Nice-looking petticoat.  Hmm, there is something not quite right with the back.  Those ruffles should be parallel to the floor and they are not.  It almost looks as though you need to let the back down from the waist to get it to lie level.  Do you have someone who could do this for you as it is almost impossible to level the back of a crinoline on your own.

Maybe have a little box-pleated frill all the way around the bottom hoop as otherwise it is only too easy to catch your foot in this hoop and trip yourself up as you walk.  Then all the men would have to gather round and pick you up.  Oh dear!

Yeah, it's not quite right. I made the regular TV bustle a while back and it turned out better. I don't like this one as much. It can't travel and it will only work under the early bustle skirts so although it's not quite right I'm not really inclined to try to mess with it that much.

I also think that it wouldn't ride the same way if I was wearing my corset. The bustle is a little tight without it.
Polaris
Snr. Officer

"You again?! What are you? The Plague?"

« Reply #296 on: June 12, 2012, 03:19:16 am »

Hi Wilhelmina Frame,

Yeah, it's not quite right. I made the regular TV bustle a while back and it turned out better. I don't like this one as much. It can't travel and it will only work under the early bustle skirts so although it's not quite right I'm not really inclined to try to mess with it that much.

I also think that it wouldn't ride the same way if I was wearing my corset. The bustle is a little tight without it.

I've found that leaving the cross wire out helps a lot. I just didn't put it in and mine collapses for easier transport and is more flexible with different corsets.

"Then the Gods of the Market tumbled, and their smooth-tongued wizards withdrew
And the hearts of the meanest were humbled and began to believe it was true
That all is not gold that glitters, and two and two make four
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings limped up to explain it once more."~Kipling; 1919
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #297 on: June 12, 2012, 04:09:44 am »

I am about to start sewing Confederate Kepis, Spanish Civil War side caps, American Civil War Haversacks, and Confederate Sicilian Caps.....my fingers are going to pay until I can get the blasted sewing machine fixed.  (all because stupid me decided to try and install a needle in low light and ended up loosing it in the machine)

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
Wilhelmina Frame
Zeppelin Captain

ptliontamer
« Reply #298 on: June 12, 2012, 04:25:26 am »

Hi Wilhelmina Frame,

Nice-looking petticoat.  Hmm, there is something not quite right with the back.  Those ruffles should be parallel to the floor and they are not.  It almost looks as though you need to let the back down from the waist to get it to lie level.  Do you have someone who could do this for you as it is almost impossible to level the back of a crinoline on your own.

Maybe have a little box-pleated frill all the way around the bottom hoop as otherwise it is only too easy to catch your foot in this hoop and trip yourself up as you walk.  Then all the men would have to gather round and pick you up.  Oh dear!

I've found that leaving the cross wire out helps a lot. I just didn't put it in and mine collapses for easier transport and is more flexible with different corsets.

Without the crosswire it's hardly a bustle. I wore it this weekend with my corset and it hung closer to parallel.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 04:27:03 am by Wilhelmina Frame » Logged
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #299 on: June 12, 2012, 10:43:58 pm »

That is interesting, Wilhelmina.

I like the look of the 1880's bustle shape myself as it suits my silhouette and is so dramatic.  But I think that the 1870's bustle is so much prettier with all those bows and fru frus.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: