The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 29, 2020, 03:54:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you sewing anything right now? Mk II  (Read 68112 times)
Kryss LaBryn
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

aka Lady Amelia Cottington

« Reply #250 on: March 30, 2012, 05:59:06 pm »

My compliments, Lady Amelia, you do good work.  Oh, and their outfits are adorable too.

Seconded. I especially like your son's braces.

Thank you both! Smiley

His braces started life as a set intended to hold French army troops' ammo belts in place, I think roughly circa the '60s if I am remembering my research correctly. They're adult-sized and originally had a sort of twisty black bit of metal on a button that would feed through one of the holes on the strap and then hook into a loop on the belt. Of course it's much too long for him as is and I did experiment with simply attaching loops to his breeches, but the metal twisty bit was too thick and uncomfortable to be right against him; in its' intended use it would be over all the rest of the clothes. So instead I simply picked up some brass suspender clasps from the local sewing shop, stuck them on there, and held them in place by doubling the strap back on itself and holding it there with some brass paper brads. I could have riveted it but of course it will eventually need to be adjusted. meanwhile, a strip of electrician's tape up the inside covers the legs of the brads and holds them in place, and anchors the flappy tail bit.

Got them at a surplus store for I think about $5. Should have gotten a set for myself too! I think them very smart.

"Be clean and courteous; raise your hat, And wipe your boots upon the mat: Such proofs of gentlemanly feeling Are to the ladies most appealing." The Professor's Manuscript - Dorothy L. Sayers
Zili_Corrigan
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #251 on: March 30, 2012, 08:27:45 pm »

I've decided to start my project today...but I am not going to be making a set of gloves like i thought, instead since I'm a writer I figure a book purse would be a good addition

instructions for a book purse/clutch

now the writer in me must learn how to destroy a book...maybe I'll find one I don't really like all that much, I'm sure I have one somewhere.

Zili Corrigan, Poet
Uncle Arthur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #252 on: March 30, 2012, 09:59:14 pm »

I've decided to start my project today...but I am not going to be making a set of gloves like i thought, instead since I'm a writer I figure a book purse would be a good addition

now the writer in me must learn how to destroy a book...maybe I'll find one I don't really like all that much, I'm sure I have one somewhere.

Readers Digest condensed books are great for projects. The sale value is nil and they are easy to take apart to cut the block out.

If at first you don't succeed , CHEAT!
Zili_Corrigan
Deck Hand

« Reply #253 on: March 30, 2012, 11:00:30 pm »

Thank you if I go to the book store sunday I'll look for some, I'm going to raid my box of books tonight to see if I have any that are damaged enough for me to give up Smiley
Kryss LaBryn
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

aka Lady Amelia Cottington

« Reply #254 on: March 31, 2012, 01:08:03 am »

Readers Digest condensed books are great for projects. The sale value is nil and they are easy to take apart to cut the block out.

That's an excellent suggestion! Plus they generally do look very nice. Also it's an excellent use for the things; I have to admit to a genteel dislike of the things ever since the only copy of "Les Miserables" I could get my hands on was the Readers Digest version. Happily I soon found the full copy on sale, because to my mind condensing a 2000-plus page volume of small print down to a hundred and fifty pages or so, tops, rather does the original work an injustice.

On the other hand, Charles Dickens ought to be condensed; taking three entire pages to say "Bob Marley was indubitably deceased" is, to my mind, rather unforgivably excessive.  Roll Eyes I shall have to see if I can find the RD version of some of his works if I ever try my hand at something like this myself.  Wink
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #255 on: March 31, 2012, 03:19:23 am »

I have some very bright children's books I want to try making bags out of and some decaying older books I want to make in to paper flowers.
Here is info on making a book bag from a thinner book.
http://www.epbot.com/2011/06/jen-yates-and-quest-for-worlds-best.html

I made a crown thing.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Zili_Corrigan
Deck Hand

« Reply #256 on: March 31, 2012, 03:20:39 am »

I found an old library book (deleted from the shelves many years ago...i always got first pick at the high school since my mom worked in the library and copy room at the time)

I've selected World Authors 1970-1975 (this beautiful green one here)  I sanded off the year and distressed the rest of it (too much one one part of the spine and now I have to glue it or possibly sew it together oops) I love the green color and now I love the different shades of green the sanding has brought out.  I have some left over fabrics in my fabric bucket I'm thinking this cream colored fabric with pale blue and large paisley print. If no that then something I have enough scraps of...I'll look through it sometime tomorrow after I go dress shopping for my classic hollywood themed graduation party....I should have done steampunk but the majority of my friends have no idea what steampunk is (although the meeting room of our venue would be a perfect setting for something steampunk.)
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #257 on: April 13, 2012, 08:20:49 pm »

Quite lightweight with just a bit of thin calico for structure - consequently very airy. Intended for hot summer days, and has enough pocket capacity to carry phone, keys, watch, medicine and - once I have made a new one - wallet.

With his stovepipe hat and his drainpipe trousers he was a credit to his ironmonger.

NEW Discerning Scoundrel blog
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #258 on: April 15, 2012, 05:02:30 am »

Oooh, very nicely done.
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #259 on: April 16, 2012, 01:27:12 pm »

Your own make Unsubtle Pete?  Smart.  (I will say not one word about the buttons!)
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #260 on: April 22, 2012, 09:42:36 pm »

Just a little project, but one I'm pleased with.

I've been wanting a Dorothy bag for a while, so when I found the clasp for one at a flea market, I snapped it up. Now with new fabric and handle, it's just awaiting it's first outing  Smiley

The cap patina'ed, so a friend suggest I glue a gear on it it conceal the ageing...

'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night’
LadyAsprin
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Sabreuse.

« Reply #261 on: April 22, 2012, 10:34:16 pm »

Just a little project, but one I'm pleased with.

I've been wanting a Dorothy bag for a while, so when I found the clasp for one at a flea market, I snapped it up. Now with new fabric and handle, it's just awaiting it's first outing  Smiley

The cap patina'ed, so a friend suggest I glue a gear on it it conceal the ageing...

The clasp bit really finishes it off.

Only girls fight with swords these days.(Wellington - Duel and Duality - Blackadder III)
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #262 on: April 22, 2012, 10:40:29 pm »

How about adding a few mid-Victorian-style tassels and fringing?  They could be upholstery type or beaded ones. 

Unless, of course, you like the austere look.
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #263 on: April 23, 2012, 07:39:58 am »

IT was the clasp that sold it to me! I've seen that style about, but never had chance to work with one until now.

How about adding a few mid-Victorian-style tassels and fringing?  They could be upholstery type or beaded ones. 

PLAN!

Perhaps some little chain tassels to match the handle. I made one for my orb fob watch to add some weight to it to keep it hanging the right way, some longer ones will trim the bag off nicely. (plus, chain ones don't tangle or know as easily as tread or beads ones.)
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #264 on: April 23, 2012, 04:17:57 pm »

Oh yes, chain tassels. Nice.

Do you have some little pearls that could hang on the ends of the chains, or some beads maybe, just to show the ends are finished.
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #265 on: April 23, 2012, 04:42:09 pm »

I think pearls may be introducing too many elements, further embellishments would suit a plainer fabric but as it's already patterned it may look over-done.

Having said that, I've got some pocket-watch buttons that would match the print... I shall have to experiment!
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #266 on: April 23, 2012, 04:52:14 pm »

Oh wow, watch buttons.  Wot a hoot!
Polaris
Snr. Officer

"You again?! What are you? The Plague?"

« Reply #267 on: May 09, 2012, 07:25:14 pm »

Why is this all the way back on page 2? I thought with Con-season getting underway there'd be a ton of "Sewing this" posts....

"Then the Gods of the Market tumbled, and their smooth-tongued wizards withdrew
And the hearts of the meanest were humbled and began to believe it was true
That all is not gold that glitters, and two and two make four
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings limped up to explain it once more."~Kipling; 1919
Taipan
Officer
England England

Going In Circles

« Reply #268 on: May 09, 2012, 07:49:29 pm »

Currently sewing some curtains out of the old sails off grandfathers racing yhat XD I take fabric where ever I can get it...I'm making curtains because I am fed up with just hooking a fleece blanket over two nails sticking out of the window frame...
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #269 on: May 09, 2012, 08:30:13 pm »

I'm always sewing something and planning at least one something else.  I cannot count the number of things that I am in the middle of making.  Some of these are years old and have been worn innumerable times!  Aren't safety pins wonderful.   Wink
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #270 on: May 09, 2012, 10:02:56 pm »

Currently making a frock coat, trousers and waistcoat in a lovely coal black wool.

Also nearly finished a pair of fall front tweed trousers.

These will be my last projects before exams.
aquachromis
Officer

« Reply #271 on: May 10, 2012, 05:11:39 am »

Has anyone made either one of these shirt patterns, http://www.simplicity.com/p-1806-men-costumes.aspx or http://www.folkwear.com/202.html? I have some basic sewing skills but I've never sewn an entire garment. If one of those patterns is easier than the other I may use it to teach myself how to make a shirt for an upcoming costume party.
Uncle Arthur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #272 on: May 10, 2012, 06:21:11 am »

I have the simplicity pattern. I would say it's a bit complex for a first project but, with some patience and careful reading of the directions it should be a project you can do.
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #273 on: May 10, 2012, 09:04:15 am »

New frock coat

and waistcoat

Edit to add: The frock coat is not quite finished. It needs some stitching on the cuffs, cuff buttons and the position of the main buttons re-doing, as they aren't quite right.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:47:14 am by Unsubtle Pete » Logged
Ms Pipistrelle
Officer

« Reply #274 on: May 10, 2012, 10:49:13 pm »

I've just started on the Laughing Moon 1890's five gore skirt pattern (#101) and have a question that I hope one of you will be able to answer.

The pattern includes some pieces to be cut out in interfacing but I can't find any mention on the packet or in the instructions of what weight of interfacing I should be using.   It's for the waistband and the facings for the bottom of the skirt .
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: