The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 04, 2020, 03:32:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you sewing anything right now? Mk II  (Read 68158 times)
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #175 on: February 17, 2012, 05:02:24 pm »

Here it is. Not very steampunk I know- scandalously short! I'm still pretty happy with it though =]

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
TheCogsbanes
Deck Hand
United States United States

Steampunk/Neo-Victorian Clothiers

TheCogsbanes
« Reply #176 on: February 17, 2012, 05:23:18 pm »

It looks pretty nice... Samara made one similar in size for our shop. I think that the short skirt kinda works in all the sub-goth-cultures... I have to say i am jealous of the hat though.. my topper is so much shorter Sad

Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #177 on: February 17, 2012, 05:50:54 pm »

Yeah most of my skirts are somewhere between that length and knee length because I'm a lil goth girl at heart =P

Thanks, the hat was a really lucky find at the clothes show last year. Funnily enough I almost brought a dressage top hat yesterday because I quite like the shorter ones (but it was a little overpriced).
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #178 on: February 17, 2012, 10:43:52 pm »

Here it is. Not very steampunk I know- scandalously short! I'm still pretty happy with it though =]

Very nice indeed  Smiley

With his stovepipe hat and his drainpipe trousers he was a credit to his ironmonger.

NEW Discerning Scoundrel blog
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #179 on: February 18, 2012, 03:53:56 pm »

Very nice indeed  Smiley

Thank you =]
Uncle Arthur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #180 on: February 18, 2012, 04:44:05 pm »

It looks great!

If at first you don't succeed , CHEAT!
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #181 on: February 18, 2012, 04:49:47 pm »

Thanks.
Never wearing it again though. Short skirt + top hat = harrassment (see GAH thread)

Might have to find a way of lengthening it  so it wasn't a waste of money buying the fabric.

Anyone got any ideas?
TheCogsbanes
Deck Hand

Steampunk/Neo-Victorian Clothiers

TheCogsbanes
« Reply #182 on: February 18, 2012, 05:43:28 pm »

Perchance you could make it into a tiered skirt.. add another tier or 2 to it and maybe a bustle?
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #183 on: February 18, 2012, 05:45:59 pm »

Thanks.
Never wearing it again though. Short skirt + top hat = harrassment (see GAH thread)

Might have to find a way of lengthening it  so it wasn't a waste of money buying the fabric.

Anyone got any ideas?

Same but longer, worn on the inside to give an extra tier.
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #184 on: February 18, 2012, 06:02:00 pm »

Thanks.

Anyone got any ideas?

Same but longer, worn on the inside to give an extra tier.

I was going to suggest the same thing.

"Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you."

~ David St. Hubbins
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #185 on: February 18, 2012, 07:02:07 pm »

I don't have enough fabric left to make a longer one to wear with it, so I might just try to add another tier.
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #186 on: February 18, 2012, 07:05:37 pm »

I don't have enough fabric left to make a longer one to wear with it, so I might just try to add another tier.

Another option might be to try and find a fabric that matches the pink, and do a reverse colour version with black details as a longer underskirt.
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #187 on: February 18, 2012, 07:20:29 pm »

That's more expense as well- although I like the idea. I might just try wearing it with my black lace skirt underneath as a petticoat for now- that'll add several inches. Maybe that'll be enough...
Elycium
Officer

addicted to fancy clothes

Elycium
« Reply #188 on: February 19, 2012, 05:54:18 pm »

My friend and I are working on a co-project together, and this is the first half of it completed. The second half will be this, just all in black. Its for a fashion show at the end of March. ^_^

"Humans need fantasy to be human."  - Death from "The Hogfather"
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #189 on: February 19, 2012, 06:05:24 pm »

My friend and I are working on a co-project together, and this is the first half of it completed. The second half will be this, just all in black. Its for a fashion show at the end of March. ^_^

'tis Gorgeous.
Miss Genevieve Gale
Snr. Officer

« Reply #190 on: February 19, 2012, 06:12:50 pm »

I've been working on SCA stuff. I just finished this 16th century Florentine:
(Sorry. I don't know how to do the spoiler thing.)

IMG_7777 by sea95lion is busy sewing!, on Flickr

infamous mirror shot! by sea95lion is busy sewing!, on Flickr
I'm currently working on a reproduction of this dress:

The Arrival of Leo X in Florence- detail by sea95lion is busy sewing!, on Flickr

The to-do list includes a late-Victorian skirt with a butterfly bustle train and an Ottoman ensemble.

greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #191 on: February 19, 2012, 07:25:10 pm »

I particlularly like the jacket. Is it from a commercial pattern or your own?

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
Elycium
Officer

addicted to fancy clothes

Elycium
« Reply #192 on: February 19, 2012, 08:18:36 pm »

I particlularly like the jacket. Is it from a commercial pattern or your own?

I'm not sure if its one of her originals or a commerical one. She has a tendency to trace patterns out onto sturdier paper (the same paper we use to draft out our own with), and this one was so old and beat up, I never thought to ask. I just know its the only jacket like this I've worn that doesn't make me look hunchbacked. XD
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 08:45:09 pm by Elycium » Logged
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #193 on: February 19, 2012, 08:35:34 pm »

About to sew the jacket from a simplicity steampunk pattern. Anyone got any tips?

''I'm a loose bolt in a complete machine. What a match! I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet.''
‎"You want steampunk to be a novelty, a LOLcat, a meme. I want it to be my life. Which of us is going to fight harder for it?" - Dimitri Markotin
*DISCLAIMER*     This dungeon is fictional, and any similarities to other dungeons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

http://www.facebook.com/antevortefashion
Mention you're from BG when ordering for free shipping!
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #194 on: February 19, 2012, 08:56:01 pm »

About to sew the jacket from a simplicity steampunk pattern. Anyone got any tips?

What materials are you using?
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #195 on: February 19, 2012, 09:01:40 pm »

taffeta, mainly. Some of it is lined. I understand what to do, I didn't know if anyone had found any massive flaws or cool tips to making it? Smiley
Strapped-4-Cache
Snr. Officer

Oooo! Shiny!

« Reply #196 on: February 19, 2012, 11:17:23 pm »

Well, I WOULD be working on altering some clothing for the upcoming Anachrocon, but the power cord on my machine decided to short out.

Plugged in the cord and <POP!>, a few sparks and one dead machine. 

It looks like the section of cord from the wall socket got loose in the connector and shorted across the cord from the foot pedal.  Normally an easy fix, but I loaned out my soldering iron and have no way to fix it.  A replacement cord is an option, but I have a problem with paying $20+ for something that will take me $0.05 in solder to repair.  Just have to get my friend to return the iron.
Polaris
Snr. Officer

"You again?! What are you? The Plague?"

« Reply #197 on: February 19, 2012, 11:28:14 pm »

So, I need to make a dress for St. Patrick's Day and am thinking of doing a version of the found dress below. But I may be over thinking the pleats.... What shape would the initial fabric piece have to be for me to make pleats like the ones in the bustle? Also the front of the blouse looks like it's pretty intricately pleated as well... :\

"Then the Gods of the Market tumbled, and their smooth-tongued wizards withdrew
And the hearts of the meanest were humbled and began to believe it was true
That all is not gold that glitters, and two and two make four
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings limped up to explain it once more."~Kipling; 1919
vampyresheep
Snr. Officer

« Reply #198 on: February 20, 2012, 10:33:53 am »

That's more expense as well- although I like the idea. I might just try wearing it with my black lace skirt underneath as a petticoat for now- that'll add several inches. Maybe that'll be enough...

I often wear several skirts of different lengths over each other - and frequently because I've accidently made one skirt indecently short by accident! - it does create a good layered effect though and saves having to permanently alter one skirt (ie by adding another tier)
Uncle Arthur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #199 on: February 20, 2012, 11:41:56 am »

Elcium. That is one beautiful dress! I like it very much.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: