The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 14, 2020, 06:46:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you sewing anything right now? Mk II  (Read 68597 times)
TheCogsbanes
Deck Hand
United States United States

Steampunk/Neo-Victorian Clothiers

TheCogsbanes
« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2012, 11:28:06 pm »

HAH! Yeah, I looked at that pic and was really upset because our sewing area is almost always a disaster area... we try to keep things organized but it seems we operate under the "harmony in Chaos" theory. LOL

MinervaLiRenfield
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2012, 11:41:02 pm »

The "messy costume room" thing is a bit of a, well, "thing" right now.  I spent a week that I had off from work reorganizing the entire house into a funtional workspace and I swore the hosue would never be messy again after all of that.  Our local Home depot was having a sale on "plastic shoe boxes" for .99 each that week and since I was dead set upon organizing everything in it's place according to supply and material, I bought about 60 of them.

I ran out of boxes.

Needless to say, the overhauled costume room and office have been my show off pieces of the house ever since.  Except when they're messy.  Then I'm just sad and I have to turn to making something in order to feel better.

I make a LOT of stuff it seems.

Elycium
Officer

addicted to fancy clothes

Elycium
« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2012, 11:45:17 pm »

I swore the hosue would never be messy again after all of that.

I tell myself this every time I clean my sewing room, and it never happens. I think it just comes with the territory of crafting. XD

"Humans need fantasy to be human."  - Death from "The Hogfather"
MinervaLiRenfield
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2012, 01:09:18 am »

This is a quick attempt at a Steampunk Portable Pincase.  It's a mock up for a beginner’s sewing class concept.  I want to teach them something simple that will be useful after the class is done.

TheCogsbanes
Deck Hand

TheCogsbanes
« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2012, 03:56:17 am »

Interesting! I really like the idea of the pincase... Might be fun to make one of my own!
MistressMagpie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #155 on: February 13, 2012, 07:33:14 am »

Depending on the time of day this answer could be many things. Smiley Running a custom clothier we are constantly up to our necks in orders. I am currently sewing a young boys vest for a wedding (he is a ring bearer), Samara is finishing up a Brocade under-bust for a client, Which has given her nothing but headaches. *Shakes fist at brocade*

There is such a thing as a brocade that is pleasant to work with. I have met it. Once  Tongue.

Tip: Find some that isn't polyester. Life gets sooooo much better. Also Fraycheck and it's cousins.

MAGPIE, n. A bird whose thievish disposition suggested to someone that it might be taught to talk.
        -- The Devil's Dictionary

Avatar made with much assistance from Ammotu's artistic talents.
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2012, 10:53:26 am »

Depending on the time of day this answer could be many things. Smiley Running a custom clothier we are constantly up to our necks in orders. I am currently sewing a young boys vest for a wedding (he is a ring bearer), Samara is finishing up a Brocade under-bust for a client, Which has given her nothing but headaches. *Shakes fist at brocade*

There is such a thing as a brocade that is pleasant to work with. I have met it. Once  Tongue.

Tip: Find some that isn't polyester. Life gets sooooo much better. Also Fraycheck and it's cousins.

There always seems to be a correlation between polyester and horrible to work, which is why I try to avoid the stuff where possible and recommend beginners don't fall for the "it is cheap and shiny" lure.

With his stovepipe hat and his drainpipe trousers he was a credit to his ironmonger.

NEW Discerning Scoundrel blog
Lady Toadflinger
Snr. Officer

« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2012, 10:01:24 pm »

I agree with you about the polyester! I try to work always with cotton or linen. I can't wear any synthetics on my upper body, anyway, so it's easy to stay away from them.  Smiley

This isn't the Junior Chamber of Commerce, Brad!
TheCogsbanes
Deck Hand

TheCogsbanes
« Reply #158 on: February 13, 2012, 11:39:35 pm »

BROCADE IS THE DEVIL!!!! hah! I haven't used polyester, but i do prefer cottons, linens or upholstery if I'm making something something for our shop.. I recently made a vest that is our top seller right now that has brocade pocket welts... what a mistake that was.. but much to my relief the main fabric of which we do the face of the vest is discontinued.. we wont have to make it for much longer.. but that's a double edged sword.
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #159 on: February 14, 2012, 12:24:05 am »

Not sure if it counts as sewing, but I'm converting a small purse or handbag or something (hey, I'm a not-cross-dressing, not-fashion-designer guy, I can't tell handbags from Adam) into a pouch for my belt.

Took the strap off it, and now I'm mostly weathering it to look well used, but I'll have to sew something onto the back so it can go on a belt.

Any suggestions? (no brocade, though. Not sure how one could use brocade to fasten a pouch to a belt, but you ladies have put me off it.)

Not much of a sewer, I suppose. I did use to sew robes (although since I couldn't make sleeves or hoods vell they were usually more like tunics) for my stuffed toys when I was a nipper; might have to polish off some of the old rusty skills.

'Invoked or not, the gods will be present.'

-The Oracle of Delphi
MistressMagpie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2012, 02:40:01 am »

Just realized; I don't think I ever posted the mockup of my corset! (Shock! Horror!)

Spoiler: The fashion fabric. (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Front view. (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: And the back... (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: And the sides! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The hip alterations. (click to show/hide)

I was planning to fit the bust in this mockup, but after I took about 4" out of it and realized that it'd need to be padded to look proportional and the edge needed to be raised, I gave up on it. This pattern was drafted for a lady with Boobies. I have them... not much. I'm a C, sure... but a 30C. Doesn't quite cut it for this.

Since I want to be able to wear this alone, I'm raising the bustline by 2" for the next mock, then fitting it and trimming it down to where it ought to be. Also making it smaller... I took another look at the original pattern and realized it's built for between 4-6" of gap, not 2". It should fit well if I cut the original size with more hiproom. Sigh... At least I'll have more room to lace down. The last mockup gave my 3" reduction fully closed. Either my mockup stretched something fierce or I just fuffed the drafting somewhere. I'm cutting the next mock in cotton duck instead of denim and using a waist tape, so I should be able to eliminate the stretching issue.

I'm exciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiited, but I think I'm babbling now. If you want more babble, you can go here and look at the original babbleage on Livejournal.  Tongue
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 02:51:21 am by MistressMagpie » Logged
MistressMagpie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #161 on: February 14, 2012, 02:56:56 am »

Not sure if it counts as sewing, but I'm converting a small purse or handbag or something (hey, I'm a not-cross-dressing, not-fashion-designer guy, I can't tell handbags from Adam) into a pouch for my belt.

Took the strap off it, and now I'm mostly weathering it to look well used, but I'll have to sew something onto the back so it can go on a belt.

Any suggestions? (no brocade, though. Not sure how one could use brocade to fasten a pouch to a belt, but you ladies have put me off it.)

Not much of a sewer, I suppose. I did use to sew robes (although since I couldn't make sleeves or hoods vell they were usually more like tunics) for my stuffed toys when I was a nipper; might have to polish off some of the old rusty skills.
Do you have a picture of the bag, or one like it? Depending of what sort of fabric it's made of and what shape it is, different sorts of fastening would apply. Smiley Without knowing anything about it, I'll give you the general idea of a sturdy fabric rectangle with finished edges sewn onto the back on two sides, making a tunnel the belt can slide through. Alternatively, make two tall, narrow loops or one wide loop for the belt and attach them to the top edge.
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #162 on: February 14, 2012, 02:59:44 am »

Actually, it's leather, maybe seven or eight inches square, but that's still a good idea, except I'll do it with leather, yuh?
MistressMagpie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #163 on: February 14, 2012, 09:49:33 am »

Actually, it's leather, maybe seven or eight inches square, but that's still a good idea, except I'll do it with leather, yuh?
Yuh! That actually makes your life easier, since leather teds to be sturdier than fabric and you won't have to worry about the edges fraying on you. Grab some leather needles (aka glovers needles) and off you go. Smiley
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #164 on: February 14, 2012, 10:37:05 am »

Yuh! That actually makes your life easier, since leather teds to be sturdier than fabric and you won't have to worry about the edges fraying on you. Grab some leather needles (aka glovers needles) and off you go. Smiley

Also grab a thimble, if working with thin leather, or a punch if it is thicker.
vampyresheep
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #165 on: February 14, 2012, 01:06:17 pm »

I now have the first pics of the dress I made for Gala Nocturna (taken from a friend's facebook uploads, so the images aren't too big but still better than the rubbish pics I have!)
I made Truly Victorian's Parisian Trained skirt but instead of the ruffles at the side panel, I sewed a flower pattern using russia braid, beetle wings and sequins.  The shrug top pattern was adapted by myself from a basic shrug, extending the sleeves to give the dress a more exotic look (the theme was Russian Fairytale).  Corset wasn't made by me but I sent a friend (aka Wyte Phantom corsets) a couple of beetle wings, to see what style of corset that would inspire her to make me!
Front pic - Rob's in this pic with me but I didn't make any of this outfit, other than sewing on buttons and patches!  Smiley
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Back pic, showing the train

I did also make the petticoat/underskirt, using TV101 pattern.  I was too stressed getting ready to take a photo of that though.  Smiley

I now have 3 weeks, and no free weekends, to sort an outfit out for the Glastonbury Faery Ball.  Thinking of using the same corset and shrug but making a big ruffly fishtail skirt instead - because a) I can't wear exactly the same outfit twice in one month!  Wink and b) slightly smaller venue, so big skirt will just annoy me.  Just a slight panic to get it done in time!
Uncle Arthur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #166 on: February 14, 2012, 02:13:33 pm »

After I totally destroyed my upstairs searching for the interfacing I  knew I had. I am off and running on a new waistcoat. Photos once I get things cleaned up enough not to embarrass myself.

If at first you don't succeed , CHEAT!
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #167 on: February 14, 2012, 09:15:43 pm »

Gotcha. Good advice, thank ye all!

*bows*

Ah, would any of you have reccomendations for  a thread type? Not sure if the rugular type would work well, and the only other stuff I have on hand is cross-stitch thread.
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #168 on: February 14, 2012, 09:28:53 pm »

Gotcha. Good advice, thank ye all!

*bows*

Ah, would any of you have reccomendations for  a thread type? Not sure if the rugular type would work well, and the only other stuff I have on hand is cross-stitch thread.

An extra strong thread such as an upholstery thread would be ideal.
MistressMagpie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #169 on: February 15, 2012, 12:01:28 am »

vampyresheep, you look splendid!
TheCogsbanes
Deck Hand

TheCogsbanes
« Reply #170 on: February 15, 2012, 12:37:22 am »

I like botht he outfits! i'll have to say very nice job with the bustle! Samara and I are about to stat our first big dress broject for the spring line in our shoppe! I am hoping all goes well because we've never done a bustle before let alone such a big one piece project!
vampyresheep
Snr. Officer

« Reply #171 on: February 15, 2012, 02:48:35 pm »

Thanks!  this skirt pattern was actually fairly straightforward to make, albeit a tad bulky when it came to assembling the final parts - but of course I had to make it difficult for myself by getting carried away with the decoration.  Smiley
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #172 on: February 16, 2012, 08:41:45 pm »

I have just finished* this tailcoat.

It is a casual morning coat, with a whole back and no vents.

*not quite finished, actually, it still needs a proper pressing.

Edited to fix pic.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 08:56:45 pm by Unsubtle Pete » Logged
TheCogsbanes
Deck Hand

TheCogsbanes
« Reply #173 on: February 16, 2012, 08:45:38 pm »

Hrmm i like it.. i may have to fashion one for myself now... i have a frock coat i have left on the back burner do to influx in sales lately but ill get it all done soon!
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #174 on: February 17, 2012, 02:55:02 am »

Nice coat!

I made a skirt today =] I'd not made a whole garment for 5 years (since GCSE texgtiles lol).

I even made the pattern myself.

I'm so proud of myself even though its really basic.

I'll post pictures tomorrow

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: