The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 29, 2020, 08:17:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you sewing anything right now? Mk II  (Read 67148 times)
LadyAsprin
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Sabreuse.

« Reply #125 on: January 18, 2012, 01:46:09 am »

( sorry my computer ate your post.)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 02:02:46 am by Stella Gaslight » Logged

Only girls fight with swords these days.(Wellington - Duel and Duality - Blackadder III)
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler
United States United States

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #126 on: January 18, 2012, 02:01:52 am »

I am sorry I have no clue what my computer just did,  the screen froze up and apparently it did some sort of evil magic by the time I got the picture to do back.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
LadyAsprin
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Sabreuse.

« Reply #127 on: January 18, 2012, 02:15:49 am »

I said I thought lights might work well as headlights for getting home and queried if you were thinking on headlights for your or the dolls ones.
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

« Reply #128 on: January 18, 2012, 02:28:10 am »

Ones for me mostly.  If they are going to sit up on my head anyway they might as well be useful and it would make an awesome book light.

Apparently youtube + facebook games + winamp skins changing= crazy screen glitch.  It just tried to do it again. At least I know how to stop it now.  I am not very good with that stuff and just kind of pushed random buttons in hope it would help last time.
LadyAsprin
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Sabreuse.

« Reply #129 on: January 18, 2012, 05:39:19 am »

These are my crochet goggles, I haven't got a (good) picture yet of me wearing them and they don't have any lenses yet but my Dad has some ohp film which we think should work well.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

« Reply #130 on: January 18, 2012, 05:43:00 am »

They look snuggle-ey.  I tried to crochet once or twice but not being able to tell my right hand from my left most of the time because of dyslexia made it really confusing.
LadyAsprin
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Sabreuse.

« Reply #131 on: January 18, 2012, 05:47:28 am »

They look snuggle-ey.  I tried to crochet once or twice but not being able to tell my right hand from my left most of the time because of dyslexia made it really confusing.

Thanks, they are really comfy to wear.  The second picture shows my markers for the straps which I forgot to remove before taking the photo.
Shing
Deck Hand
Portugal Portugal

Alexa Davina Ironlass, Seamstress

« Reply #132 on: January 19, 2012, 02:37:23 am »

Im curious about these crochet goggles! Id love to see how they look on you after you get the lenses!
LadyAsprin
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Sabreuse.

« Reply #133 on: January 19, 2012, 02:45:40 am »

Im curious about these crochet goggles! Id love to see how they look on you after you get the lenses!

I will post a picture once I get lenses in them although it probably won't be until Feb.

Currently I am trying to make a crochet hood in a shape similar to one of my jackets.

We worked out that the bottom jackets hood is pretty much this shape (before it was sewn into shape, the diagram is 90 clockwise).

But the angle seems to be to wide to crochet easily - when crocheting a triangle it seems to end up being a equilateral or right angle (half a equilateral) neither of which is the shape I need (although while typing this I have been inspired), so I'm currently stuck.  

We have had to attempt to develop a pattern since nobody seems to do a pattern for this style of hood.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 02:55:30 am by LadyAsprin » Logged
Noisynell ArkAngel
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #134 on: January 21, 2012, 01:57:03 pm »

Does anyone know how to, or can direct me to an tutorial on how to do this? I'm not even sure what it's called to google it.... The Met's fashion archives aren't real detailed in their descriptions....

That is simly stunning Smiley

my goodness is that dress gorgeous!  i love that detailing on the back.

Oh, wow.  That's gorgeous!  It looks like a spinal column.

I know right? Metropolitan Museum collection online. AMAZING collection of reference images.

On a slightly different note, Here's my current work-in-progress. Not the dress I was referencing the back braiding for, but still a fun project...

MistressMagpie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #135 on: January 21, 2012, 09:07:57 pm »

Very nice, Polaris! I especially like that bustle design. Great use of pattern. Cheesy

MAGPIE, n. A bird whose thievish disposition suggested to someone that it might be taught to talk.
        -- The Devil's Dictionary

Avatar made with much assistance from Ammotu's artistic talents.
Wilhelmina Frame
Zeppelin Captain

ptliontamer
« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2012, 07:19:55 am »

this is only tangentally related to sewing -- I hand stitched on the pieces -- but these came out so cool that I had to show you!

These are button fairies. I don't know who made the concept up or maybe it's an old timey thing but I made one for a swap and one to keep:

Humorously enough, my husband declared them adorable and now he wants us to make more to give our friends. He is so cute and charming sometimes!

Part Time Lion Tamer
Editrix de Mode, Steampunk Chronicle
Founder, American Tea Duelling Society
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2012, 07:41:44 am »

I am working on teeny tiny clothes and I have to say there should not be almost nine yards of rim on a 6 inch long doll skirt.  Looks like I will have to go get some more lace again.
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #138 on: February 11, 2012, 02:34:55 pm »

Sewing frantically for the Leeds Steampunk Market. Mainly sewing waistcoats and skirts, but I seem to spend a chunk of time recently sewing through my own hands and nails!

''I'm a loose bolt in a complete machine. What a match! I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet.''
‎"You want steampunk to be a novelty, a LOLcat, a meme. I want it to be my life. Which of us is going to fight harder for it?" - Dimitri Markotin
*DISCLAIMER*     This dungeon is fictional, and any similarities to other dungeons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

http://www.facebook.com/antevortefashion
Mention you're from BG when ordering for free shipping!
Elycium
Officer

addicted to fancy clothes

Elycium
« Reply #139 on: February 12, 2012, 01:31:03 am »

Sewing frantically for the Leeds Steampunk Market. Mainly sewing waistcoats and skirts, but I seem to spend a chunk of time recently sewing through my own hands and nails!

That sounds rather painful... Will we get photos of finished projects? Smiley

My current project. I actually have no idea what I'm doing, so I'm sort of winging it. This is really the first non-Elizabethan corset I've made (my other two never getting beyond the stage I'm at now for various reasons).

"Humans need fantasy to be human."  - Death from "The Hogfather"
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #140 on: February 12, 2012, 10:46:23 am »

That sounds rather painful... Will we get photos of finished projects? Smiley

It was pretty painful, but nothing compared to when I accidentally sewed almost an entire skirt to my legs (bad circulation, you see) and then stood up and lifts my work up to show someone and tore out the stitches! The photos of the projects are currently on the business facebook page, but there is loads more to put on there!

http://www.facebook.com/avasapparel
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #141 on: February 12, 2012, 12:24:12 pm »

This week I have mostly been wrestling with dark green wool+velvet frock coat.

I have, however, also found the time to make up a number of cravats.

New camera arrives on tuesday, so I can get pics of a few things on here at last  Smiley

With his stovepipe hat and his drainpipe trousers he was a credit to his ironmonger.

NEW Discerning Scoundrel blog
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #142 on: February 12, 2012, 07:37:22 pm »

Recently finished a pair of detachable lacy cuffs made from a linen doilie edged with lace.

Just starting a shoulder bag: my first proper leather project.

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
TheCogsbanes
Deck Hand

Steampunk/Neo-Victorian Clothiers

TheCogsbanes
« Reply #143 on: February 12, 2012, 08:42:53 pm »

Depending on the time of day this answer could be many things. Smiley Running a custom clothier we are constantly up to our necks in orders. I am currently sewing a young boys vest for a wedding (he is a ring bearer), Samara is finishing up a Brocade under-bust for a client, Which has given her nothing but headaches. *Shakes fist at brocade* As for personal wardrobe, I am working on a chrono-nuat series of vests that we also will be selling in our shop. The first of which is already completed (A brown upholstery type front and a golden yellow back with watches and bicycles on the back.) The most current for myself is a Gray Corduroy fronted vest with a blue back that is basically blue with white/gray printing of an old latin style globe with sea monsters to look like an old world map.

This is the Brown and Yellow one i just finished.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/92642609/time-travelers-vest-steampunk-vest-made

Sorry dont know how to post spoilers yet or small images in the forums.

Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #144 on: February 12, 2012, 09:26:57 pm »

Depending on the time of day this answer could be many things. Smiley Running a custom clothier we are constantly up to our necks in orders. I am currently sewing a young boys vest for a wedding (he is a ring bearer), Samara is finishing up a Brocade under-bust for a client, Which has given her nothing but headaches. *Shakes fist at brocade*

There is such a thing as a brocade that is pleasant to work with. I have met it. Once  Tongue.
MinervaLiRenfield
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #145 on: February 12, 2012, 09:28:18 pm »

Made this corset as a gift for a friend as we start getting her kitted out.  The dress form is the wrong size but my adjustable dress form doesn't shrink down to Kim's size.  It'll look better when it's one someone with the right curves.

Mind the messy costume room.  Now that the corset is done I can set about cleaning it.

TheCogsbanes
Deck Hand

Steampunk/Neo-Victorian Clothiers

TheCogsbanes
« Reply #146 on: February 12, 2012, 09:39:38 pm »

Depending on the time of day this answer could be many things. Smiley Running a custom clothier we are constantly up to our necks in orders. I am currently sewing a young boys vest for a wedding (he is a ring bearer), Samara is finishing up a Brocade under-bust for a client, Which has given her nothing but headaches. *Shakes fist at brocade*

There is such a thing as a brocade that is pleasant to work with. I have met it. Once  Tongue.

Just once? hah! We have this one brocade that isn't too bad, we also just made the discovery that we can melt the edges so it doesn't fray! lol yeah it might not sound like a big discovery but for us it meant the world!
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #147 on: February 12, 2012, 11:03:55 pm »

MinervaLiRenfield - That's a messy costume room - if it were any tidier it would be 'gasps!', sanitary!
MinervaLiRenfield
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #148 on: February 12, 2012, 11:14:57 pm »

MinervaLiRenfield - That's a messy costume room - if it were any tidier it would be 'gasps!', sanitary!

omg I just realised I cropped out the disaster around it.  lol On the dressing table there was a large pile of glow sticks, confetti cannons and junk and the floor is covered by fabric clothes and odds and ends.  So, add that to the picture, in your mind.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #149 on: February 12, 2012, 11:18:06 pm »

OK, I can do that - makes it seem much more normal!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: