Author Topic: Central Florida anyone?  (Read 965 times)

walkthebassline

• Zeppelin Captain
Central Florida anyone?
« on: November 02, 2011, 03:48:05 pm »
I saw a thread from last year by someone in Ellenton; I'm literally right around the corner in Palmetto. Anyone else in the area? Tampa, Sarasota, anywhere near there?

Also, Sarasota is about to start their Medieval Faire I believe. I know its not SP per se, but is anyone going?
"Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you."

~ David St. Hubbins

Semper Victoria

• Snr. Officer
  • Steampunk Pianist
    • Tempo Fantasia
Re: Central Florida anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 06:56:24 am »
Howdy! I decided this was a good place to respond about Florida stuffs (rather than derail the Dress Up thread as I like to do  ;D). I'm up in the Brandon area (just south of Tampa) and missed the Sarasota medieval fest. Unfortunately my band gigs are frequent enough to prevent me from doing many of the Tampa Bay Steampunk Society's events - for instance, they're doing the Victorian Christmas Stroll on Dec 22 as well as going to see Sherlock Holmes on Dec 16, both gig days for me. I will hopefully eventually participate in some of them!

The Central Florida Steampunk Association over in Orlando just blew up in the worst way. Not touching that one! Haha.

walkthebassline

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 02:06:15 pm »
Ha yeah I'm definitely not in this for the drama. I didn't know about the Tampa Bay Steampunk Society; I'll have to check that out.

And while we're on the subject, what band are you in?

Semper Victoria

• Snr. Officer
  • Steampunk Pianist
    • Tempo Fantasia
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 03:15:49 pm »
Yes you should definitely join on Facebook! The girl who organizes it, Daylina, is super nice and 100% drama free. We'd be glad for you to join us! It'd be fun to have real-life friends from BG!

So you're in Sarasota? I believe you said you have a band as well (or perhaps a former one). Mine's called Luna Blue and we aren't steampunk at all! We're a cover band doing everything from James Brown to Katy Perry, but my favorite bands that we cover are Evanescence and Rush :-) (I sing "Limelight"). I tend to dress more gothpunk for the gigs hehe, since bright colors translate well on dark stages.

Any other Floridians lurking out there should chime in too! I've never met a member of Brass Goggles in person before and I'd really be thrilled to.

walkthebassline

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 03:21:36 pm »
I'm actually in Palmetto, just north of Bradenton. I requested to join the Tampa Bay group, so hopefully I can get involved with that. I'm still very new to steampunk; I don't even have my first pair of goggles finished yet! :-p

Your band sounds amazing. I'm a huge Rush fan, and Evanescence is cool too. (I prefer Nightwish, but that's just personal preference.) I'll try to come out to a gig sometime.

I was in a band up in Illinois, but its basically defunct now. Our drummer will be going back to Dubai when he graduates and I live down here again.