The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 24, 2020, 06:12:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 149   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 297359 times)
Silvia Lovett
Gunner
United States United States

Gypsy Colored Love

« Reply #650 on: April 08, 2008, 08:51:53 pm »

Hello there i'm very new to all of this.....i fell like the lost youngling, but anyways i'm silvia lovett nice to meet you
i'm a big nerd about photography and i love to chat.
you'll notice my picture will change alot ^^
nice to meet you all

Broken hearts change the mind, notice that they'er killing mine.
Albrecht
Zeppelin Captain
Germany Germany

Commanding Officer LZ-X1 Württemberg

« Reply #651 on: April 08, 2008, 08:53:58 pm »

Dear Miss Winnifred and Miss Lovett, dear gentlemen, welcome all.
Please make yourselves comfortable and enjoy the pleasant tone of conversation of this forum.

Ampère Volt
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Danger! High Voltage!

« Reply #652 on: April 08, 2008, 09:21:27 pm »

Welcome... very new myself here, it's quite enjoyable  Grin

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
<i>Oscar Wilde</i>
A ruffled mind makes a restless pillow.
<i>Charlotte Bronte</i>
Engineer Steelwolf
« Reply #653 on: April 09, 2008, 03:36:45 am »

Hello everyone. ok easy bit, 22, male, nottingham trent uni, england. I got introduced to this forum by Rosel and havn't done any work in 4 days because of it. I LOVE THIS PLACE! I already knew about steampunk, but never thought there was anywhere where more than two or three people shared this pasttime. I keep wanting to read anything, but I feel that may not be possable in the next day or so.
vonWolfehaus
Officer

Quarter Master of the pirate airship Orfiel

« Reply #654 on: April 09, 2008, 07:16:50 am »

Like Engineer Steelwolf (rad handle by the by), I'm already familiar with steampunk and just really blown away by the fact that there's so many fellow steamers about. I've been lurking and I dig this place so far. Hope I can contribute to it soon.

I'm a Human-Computer Interaction designer--basically, I hate computers very much, but I think they hold so much potential, so I'm going to try and fix them. So I'm digital artist of the vector and third dimensional variety and I can code in a few languages, Python being my favorite with ActionScript 3 (Flash) following closely. I use these tools to prototype my designs, among other things.

I really dig a special steampunk style, one that combines it with a somewhat tribal aesthetic (including runes and such). Unfortunately this is a very rare style, so if anyone knows of a popular source for it, please let me know and I'll be forever in your debt. Cheers.

cold constructs
flash, hci/ui r&d
Em
Snr. Officer

« Reply #655 on: April 09, 2008, 11:24:35 am »

I posted around the forum and didn't realise there was an introduction thread. (To be honest I just couldn't find it, getting used to my new glasses you see.)
Well I'm Em and  I hail from the land Down Under.
I came across this here Forum after researching Steam Punk to influence my Major Visual Arts Body of Work.
I guess that means I could say I'm interested in art and photogrpahy and all that is creative.
I also have a knack for juggling and have been training for 2 going into 3 years now.
Now to awkwardly end this seemingly open ended post.
Good Day.

"I like old things, they make me feel sad."
     "What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people."
Ampère Volt
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Danger! High Voltage!

« Reply #656 on: April 09, 2008, 11:25:45 am »

Welcome both of you and have fun  Grin
Engineer Steelwolf
« Reply #657 on: April 09, 2008, 05:13:10 pm »

Like Engineer Steelwolf (rad handle by the by), I'm already familiar with steampunk and just really blown away by the fact that there's so many fellow steamers about. I've been lurking and I dig this place so far. Hope I can contribute to it soon.

I'm a Human-Computer Interaction designer--basically, I hate computers very much, but I think they hold so much potential, so I'm going to try and fix them. So I'm digital artist of the vector and third dimensional variety and I can code in a few languages, Python being my favorite with ActionScript 3 (Flash) following closely. I use these tools to prototype my designs, among other things.

I really dig a special steampunk style, one that combines it with a somewhat tribal aesthetic (including runes and such). Unfortunately this is a very rare style, so if anyone knows of a popular source for it, please let me know and I'll be forever in your debt. Cheers.

Nice handle too. Great minds think alike.
I'm doing computing and cybernetics so I can't realy hate computers, but I am very interesting in there intagration with humans.
In terms of the runes and such I know the viking aphabet. Its the straight angular runes you often see, although most of the time its just mangled. You can usaly find newage/hippy sites telling you about the runes and they can be very helpfull. I still spell in english when I use them as I don't know viking (does anyone?) but it still looks realy good. the runes also each have a meaning like the U means wild energy, so If you only want a few you can do that too.

On a side not the runes in the lord of the rings books are real. Tolkien studyed viking so almost all the runes are real and spelt in english. Infact there are small jokes and accents hidden in the runes if you can read them.

Heres the best site I could find quikly, they do differ GREATLY
http://www.geocities.com/lavenderwater37/runes.htm
Difference Engineer
Snr. Officer

Not steampunk, but an incredible soy substitute.

« Reply #658 on: April 09, 2008, 06:18:37 pm »

I'm a Human-Computer Interaction designer--basically, I hate computers very much, but I think they hold so much potential, so I'm going to try and fix them.

Please forgive my interjection, but you would also have a wonderful future in system administration, if you ever have the urge to change professions some time down the line.

"You look like you're about to jump in your gyrocopter or something."
--Anonymous coworker
AmbroseParkes
« Reply #659 on: April 09, 2008, 06:54:23 pm »

Hello, just joined up yesterday, or maybe it was the day before, it's hard for a chap to remember days when he's off exploring.  I've been wearing a pocket watch for a while now, which got me interested in more Victorian age things as I looked for more and more information on antique watches, eventually ending up here (told about in a bit more detail on the "how did you find the steampunk forum" thread, if anyone be curious enough to want to find out).

Anyways, you seem to be a nice lot, hoping to be here for a while, and maybe meet at a con eventually.
vonWolfehaus
Officer

Quarter Master of the pirate airship Orfiel

« Reply #660 on: April 11, 2008, 02:48:42 am »

Engineer Steelwolf: Cheers mate Smiley I'm interested in cybernetics as well, once I discovered it through my Systems/Chaos Theory research (mad props to Ludwig von Bertalanffy and Fritjof Capra for the excellent texts on the subject). To clarify a bit, I do hate computers but in order to work with them as much as I do you have to hold a certain amount of respect for them. Or you could say that I see their beauty in the Kantian sense, I just know that we can do better.

Thanks for the link too, excellent info. I went on a hunt for various rune-like glyphs a while ago and indeed found the Viking/Celtic variety intriguing. I have to admit though, the Cthulhu fonts I found were the best by far, check this out:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's one of my doodles from when I was getting accustomed to MS' "Expression", their vector creation offering, which surprisingly isn't bad.

Difference Engineer: Thanks, but I don't see as much opportunity there to actually have a hand in building better systems--it's more for maintaining the old ones. Of course I could be mistaken (I haven't looked into it much), so please correct me if that's the case.
KinoOmega
Gunner

Gravatar

Your average man with a cup of tea

dot_user
« Reply #661 on: April 11, 2008, 05:46:53 pm »

Hello everyone! I am Kino, at least, that's what I go by  Tongue

No idea how to introduce myself really, so I'll start simple:
  I am a student in a highschool in a small hicktown that lacks in steampunk count [at least of what I've seen]. I spend time on the Aethernet a lot designing 3D models and building worlds of people's dreams and the like. Mainly on SecondLife [I am also a Estate Manager on a couple of simulators]. I've been into Steampunk, but lacked the access to the world for a while. Just recently I got some sources and finally a Comcast connection, no more dial-up, yay!
  I am also a 'weekend savior', I work with the local Search and Rescue, and am a Cadet in the Civil Air Patrol in Portland, the Oregon one.

Guess that's about it, and once more, Hello!  Grin

The cake is a lie. Especially the cheesecake.

Oh, and there is a spoon, but it is too big.
Lorina C. Liddell
« Reply #662 on: April 11, 2008, 06:57:41 pm »

Hello all,
I've been lurking for a while now and have signed up recently.  I'm from western New York.  I go by many different names on the web, lolidolly on Livejournal and idunnowhoupplr on DeviantART.  My real name is Amanda but I'll be going by Lorina Liddel here.  I'd have to say that I've never larped and that I like Steampunk for it's visual appeal versus functionality though I am a huge fan of things that can do both. 

Before I ever came across steampunk I was always a fan of 19th century.  I always played with old fashion toys; we have wonderfully fun museums in my area, one being an interactive 19th century village.  I always always loved it there and would love to live there.  Once I was old enough I started civil war reenacting.  I enjoyed it but it meant that I had to come to terms with the fact that I was getting older.

So from their while browsing ebay I came across the style Gothic & Lolita.  I became a sweet lolita for the past 3 years.  Lolita meant that I could be Alice forever!  I must say though that my age might be catching up to me since I find I look better in a more classic lolita look with more muted colors, less frills.  So while I still love my pink I've found that I'm being drawn toward more mature styles and that's how I found steampunk!

My steampunk outfit still has a ways to go as far as accessories and such.  I've gone with my roots: my character is in the spirit of Alice (and if you're a fan then you'll get the name reference), a young adventurer.  So it's not overly steamy (yea it's  bit lolita) but it's familiar territory for me until I learn more of this culture.

I hope I don't sound ridiculous.
Thanks for reading,
Lorina Charlotte Liddel

and what I look like:
PhilanderKitchingham
Gunner
Finland Finland

Piencake. The flagship of technology.

« Reply #663 on: April 11, 2008, 08:17:05 pm »

(not my first post, but I suppose something like this shouldn't be overlooked, not even by evil galactic overlords)

Greetings, boys and girls, old and young. My name is... or actually my names are Jani Nurmiainen (real name), John Grassi (liberal translation(?) of real name), and Philander Kitchingham (Steampunk name as given by the Steampunk Name Generator), and I'd rather have you address me by my Steampunk name (seeing as I also have it as my username Tongue ). I hail from Finland, a place rather devoid of polar bears (unlike some of them folks from the Americas seem to think), but with trees and lakes a-plenty.

As for how I got around to discovering the, shall I say, awesome that is Steampunk, you'll just have to blame a fellow forum-goer and an IRL friend of mine, Thaif. Before that, however, I had liked (and I still do, mind you) all sorts of mechanisms that use either gears or pneumatics (*cough* LEGO *cough*). With the knowledge of the wonders of steam engines and such (as provided by the aforementioned gentleman) I... well... uh... apparently did something I can't recall anymore. Tongue

Nevertheless, I like most of the things people refer to as Steampunk as much as an insane mind (such as mine) can, and should I be declared to be the Supreme Overlord of the Galaxy and Beyond, we would most certainly see more wondrous gadgetry and such (provided that I would recover from the shock of finding out that I'm in a position of leadership... Never felt that good about those, unless I REALLY know what I'm doing).

As for a steampunk-esque outfit, I have none. I would, however, like to own something as wonderful as a steampunk outfit, but alas, money is on a limited supply. Cry

And as for what I look like in Real Life(tm)...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 07:37:48 pm by PhilanderKitchingham » Logged

"I'm absolutely positive this won't work, but I'm going to do it anyway."

"Four Gods wait on the windowsill / Where once eight Gods did war and will / And if the Gods themselves may die / What does that say for you and I?"
J.F.Dawson
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

Alternative Popcultural Archæologist

« Reply #664 on: April 11, 2008, 09:31:36 pm »

Welcome, new citizens of the wondrous land of Victoriana!

I am sure none of you will have problems settling down in this lovely place full of weird interesting people, so Ms Liddell, Mr. Omega and Mr. Kitchingham - enjoy your stay!  Smiley

'To Bring Light Into Darkness'
Aidan
« Reply #665 on: April 12, 2008, 05:33:07 am »

Hello all, my name is Aidan, or at least that is what my parents told me.
Although as of yet the things I make only occasionally tend toward this style, I find it both beautiful and fun, and as such I joined this forum on a whim. I have the good luck of coming from eccentric roots, and as such have a collection of clothing and knick knackery from all ages, including victoriana. In fact, I recently was given all of my uncle's garb from Dickens on the Strand.
Oddly, I am more interested in the 20th century, and yet that is what has led me to discover this fascinating genre.
Anyway, if I do not curtail my typing, I am sure to ramble even more than I have and as such, I shall leave it at that.
Mark Finn
« Reply #666 on: April 12, 2008, 09:27:51 pm »

What ho, good people. And by that I mean to say, what ho!

I'm Mark Finn, a closet Anglophile, steampunk aficionado, and raconteur of very small stature. I am also known as "Monkeyhead" in more dubious quarters of the Aether.

I'm here, mostly lurking, for a number of reasons. But I am really impressed with this community. I like people with a sense of aesthetics. I admire artisans and craftsmen. And I am attracted to politeness and civility. In short, I think I've found my home.

I can be googled or Wiki-ed, as the case may be. Mostly, though, I'll lurk, until I'm ready to announce my huge honking steampunk project. Stay tuned...

Toodle-Pip,

Mark Finn
Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth
« Reply #667 on: April 12, 2008, 09:29:16 pm »

Hello there, sir! Welcome to our board and i hope you enjoy your stay.
Mrs. Sullivan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #668 on: April 12, 2008, 11:06:43 pm »

What ho, good people. And by that I mean to say, what ho!

I'm Mark Finn, a closet Anglophile, steampunk aficionado, and raconteur of very small stature. I am also known as "Monkeyhead" in more dubious quarters of the Aether.

I'm here, mostly lurking, for a number of reasons. But I am really impressed with this community. I like people with a sense of aesthetics. I admire artisans and craftsmen. And I am attracted to politeness and civility. In short, I think I've found my home.

I can be googled or Wiki-ed, as the case may be. Mostly, though, I'll lurk, until I'm ready to announce my huge honking steampunk project. Stay tuned...

Toodle-Pip,

Mark Finn

Might you be Mr. Marcus Finn of Portland?  In that case I believe we met at the Lucky Lab Brew Pub last Monday evening; you were there with Adam and I was the only lady in the group of VW gentlemen.  If not that Mr. Finn, then I beg your pardon, Sir. 

In any case, welcome!

I\\\'m in Darkshines\\\' Sewing Swap!
Silvia Lovett
Gunner

Gypsy Colored Love

« Reply #669 on: April 13, 2008, 01:56:15 pm »

hello all
InsanityBites
« Reply #670 on: April 13, 2008, 08:35:44 pm »

Hello.
A little background: I'm an amature novelist and have been aware of steampunk as a fiction genre for some time, and quite enamoured with it (particularly the aesthetics), but I've only just learned of steampunk as a subculture. I find it very interesting, so I thought I'd come and have a look around. Nice to meet you all, by the way. Smiley
Abigail Ross
Officer

« Reply #671 on: April 13, 2008, 08:37:24 pm »

Hello all!

I simply wanted to say this is a fabulous forum and have enjoyed it immensely, though my post count is still low.  I spent a long time forming my style and enjoying my eccentricities and a short time ago was absolutely thrilled to discover a thriving community that embraces my interests.  Never being adept at electronic devices I just recently started using the internet and have found a new (old? antiqued?) world of "steaminess" access.
Being more mechanically inclined and such I suppose I've spent far too much time in the workshop and have missed out on much, but every day I learn something different since logging on.

A hearty thank you.
As a sidenote, The Mysterious Island has been mentioned several times. I've honestly never met anyone before now who had even heard of the book.  

What? The left handed inverter wrench went over the side?!  Curse you, Barnabas!
Angel
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Chrome dome, goggles on, dressed all in rubber...

« Reply #672 on: April 13, 2008, 08:48:09 pm »

A female in a workshop? Oh my, you'll be popular here  Wink

Welcome to TSF!

"With a rifle, you can kill one man; but with a machine gun, you can make a whole army keep its head down." - Jeremy Clarkson

Buns are obviously not designed for their aerodynamic properties.
Abigail Ross
Officer

« Reply #673 on: April 13, 2008, 08:53:55 pm »

Popular?  My, that would certainly be a first for me.
Victor Corbett
Gunner

« Reply #674 on: April 13, 2008, 09:21:13 pm »

Then congrats my dear, we all look forward to examples of your skills!

Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.
~George Bernard Shaw
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 149   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: