The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 28, 2020, 12:07:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 149   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 295715 times)
Ampère Volt
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Danger! High Voltage!

« Reply #625 on: April 01, 2008, 01:31:26 pm »

Grin Thank you dear Sir.

May I add I love your signature  Cheesy

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
<i>Oscar Wilde</i>
A ruffled mind makes a restless pillow.
<i>Charlotte Bronte</i>
J.F.Dawson
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

Alternative Popcultural Archæologist

« Reply #626 on: April 01, 2008, 02:58:55 pm »

Welcome aboard, new folks!

Ha, it´s always nice to see that beyond steampunks, there are also the `usual suspects` around here - Jedi, Browncoats, Troopers and so on.  Grin
Lady Penelope, I think I stumbled over the exact same SW-caricatures as you did... Chewie with a bowler hat and a rather robotic Vader? Showed them to some other people at our local SW-Dinner, but none of them ever heard of steampunk before!  Undecided
I also like your term daVinci-punk, somehow that sounds... capable of further development.

And Ampére, you need to tell me one thing: how is it possible to join on one day, and within 24 hours having 54 posts?Huh Shocked Wink
Anyways, I also took the liberty to visit your costume-site and clicked through the Foto-albums - most impressive!

'To Bring Light Into Darkness'
Ampère Volt
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Danger! High Voltage!

« Reply #627 on: April 01, 2008, 03:05:30 pm »

Cheesy It shall always remain a mystery me thinks  Grin

Thank you for the kind words!

Lady Penelope
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Aiming to misbehave

« Reply #628 on: April 01, 2008, 03:29:18 pm »

Lady Penelope, I think I stumbled over the exact same SW-caricatures as you did... Chewie with a bowler hat and a rather robotic Vader? Showed them to some other people at our local SW-Dinner, but none of them ever heard of steampunk before!  Undecided

Yep, same series, as I recall.  And my husband's reaction was along the lines of "Oh, that's COOL!!!  Um, what's steampunk?"  Heh.   Wink

I also like your term daVinci-punk, somehow that sounds... capable of further development.

"Sandalpunk" sounded a bit too early period to fit, and "Clockpunk," while probably more accurate, didn't quite convey the Renaissance-ness I was going for.  Though what I'd love to see is daVinciesque fantasy tech in an Elizabethan world.   Grin

H. MacHinery
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #629 on: April 01, 2008, 11:32:16 pm »

Ladies and Gentlemen, my card.

The deuced thing will not dematerialize!

Alas, I will resort to plain writing.

I've lurked here for a while, and have started a few steamy projects (the obligatory goggles and weapon), but have little to
show yet.

H. MacHinery, itinerant engineer.
Lady Penelope
Zeppelin Admiral

Aiming to misbehave

« Reply #630 on: April 02, 2008, 12:30:04 am »

Heh.  Love the name, MacHinery!   Grin
H. MacHinery
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #631 on: April 02, 2008, 01:15:09 am »

[Heh.  Love the name, MacHinery!/quote]

Thank you - it is cribbed from an old novel, but it fits.
Correus
« Reply #632 on: April 03, 2008, 02:28:44 am »

Greetings fellow travelers!

I am new to this Forum and thought I would say ‘Hello’. My name is Larry and I live in a tiny south central Kansas town.

My wife and I are currently restoring an old house from the time period we are all interested in. I am working on converting the attic into a hobby/game room with a safari; adventure; and VSF/Steampunk theme.

Here are a couple of links so that you might see what I have to work with.

http://simpsonsfolly.blogspot.com/2007/08/attic.html

http://simpsonsfolly.blogspot.com/2007/08/huston-we-have-floor.html

http://simpsonsfolly.blogspot.com/2007/11/attic-update-we-have-floor.html

If any of you have ideas on how to turn this space into a Steampunk hang-out just let me know!

Anyway, I have been a fan of VSF for a several years as well as other aspects of Victorian/Edwardian history.

For now I will probably do a lot of lurking.

However, if any of you might have an idea where I might find an interesting pair of goggles, at a low price, PLEASE let me know. I did find the main thread on goggels and am watching some on eBay, but they just don’t have that "it" quality I’m looking for. I’m in the process of also opening my own woodworking shop (thinking of making adventure type furnishings) and need a good pair of goggles. My old pair broke the other day and I’m reduced to wearing a pair of nasty plastic ones (you know the kind). This past weekend I happened to catch an episode of Hammered with John and Jimmy DiResta on the DIY network. One of them was wearing a pair of vintage goggles that were very "steampunk" in style. When I saw those I thought ‘EUREKA!’ I could have a pair of steampunk safety goggles. SWMBO agreed.

Anyway, thanks for having me aboard. I look forward to looking through the Forum's archives.

Cheers!

« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 09:02:45 pm by Correus » Logged
The Nowhere Man
« Reply #633 on: April 03, 2008, 05:43:37 am »

Greetings from New Zealand!

I've been lurking here for quite a while now, but I haven't gotten round to joining until, well, just now really. I'm slowly working my way towards a steampunk look, somewhat hindered by the fact that is seems that the most complex thing I can do with my hands is play guitar. No modding clothing for me... Though I might give it a go if I can get some brass or fabric-covered buttons for my vaguely steamy jacket, which will look much better than those cheap plastic ones.

Anyway, thanks for this wonderful little forum, and hope to speak to you all!
MPsy
Snr. Officer

Capt. Wong Wei

« Reply #634 on: April 03, 2008, 06:51:24 am »

Greetings fellow travelers!

I am new to this Forum and thought I would say ‘Hello’. My name is Larry and I live in a tiny south central Kansas town.

My wife and I are currently restoring an old house from the time period we are all interested in. I am working on converting the attic into a hobby/game room with a safari; adventure; and VSF/Steampunk theme.

Here are a couple of links so that you might see what I have to work with.

http://simpsonsfolly.blogspot.com/2007/08/attic.html

http://simpsonsfolly.blogspot.com/2007/08/huston-we-have-floor.html

http://simpsonsfolly.blogspot.com/2007/11/attic-update-we-have-floor.html

If any of you have ideas on how to turn this space into a Steampunk hang-out just let me know!

Anyway, I have been a fan of VSF for a several years as well as other aspects of Victorian/Edwardian history.

For now I will probably do a lot of lurking.

However, if any of you might have an idea where I might find an interesting pair of goggles, at a low price, PLEASE let me know. I did find the main thread on goggels and am watching some on eBay, but they just don’t have that "it" quality I’m looking for. I’m in the process of also opening my own woodworking shop (thinking of making adventure type furnishings) and need a good pair of goggles. My old pair broke the other day and I’m reduced to wearing a pair of nasty plastic ones (you know the kind). This past weekend I happened to catch an episode of Hammered with John and Jimmy DiResta on the DIY network. One of them was wearing a pair of vintage goggles that were very "steampunk" in style. When I saw those I thought ‘EUREKA!’ I could have a pair of steampunk safety goggles. SWMBO agreed.

Anyway, thanks for having me aboard. I look forward to looking through the Forum's archives.

Cheers!
Larry

Welcome!  Can't wait to see the house done in the way you discribed it.  Might I suggest turning the basement (provided you have one) into a mad scientist lab or a room that looks like it would be from the Nautilus?

-Captain of the Dreadful Rumor-
"We're not lost!  We're on an adventure!"

Mad Calamity Photos
http://madcalamity.zenfolio.com/

Convention coverage, shorts, interviews, and vlogs!
http://www.youtube.com/user/youknowwhaaa
Ampère Volt
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Danger! High Voltage!

« Reply #635 on: April 03, 2008, 08:03:32 am »

I've been lurking here for quite a while now, but I haven't gotten round to joining until, well, just now really. I'm slowly working my way towards a steampunk look, somewhat hindered by the fact that is seems that the most complex thing I can do with my hands is play guitar. No modding clothing for me... Though I might give it a go if I can get some brass or fabric-covered buttons for my vaguely steamy jacket, which will look much better than those cheap plastic ones.

I speak from knowing and experience that sewing is much easier then learning to play the guitar, unless you are playing bass guitar  Roll Eyes
Correus
« Reply #636 on: April 03, 2008, 06:13:39 pm »

Welcome!  Can't wait to see the house done in the way you discribed it.  Might I suggest turning the basement (provided you have one) into a mad scientist lab or a room that looks like it would be from the Nautilus?
[/quote]

AWESOME idea!!  Would be great for Halloween!

Thanks.
The Nowhere Man
« Reply #637 on: April 04, 2008, 09:52:15 am »

I speak from knowing and experience that sewing is much easier then learning to play the guitar, unless you are playing bass guitar  Roll Eyes

Ah yes, good point... Perhaps if I hand-sew to a rhythm? Wink In seriousness though, I can't machine sew anything very well, but I reckon I'd probably find hand sewing quite a bit easier. Patching some old cords would be an interesting start... and a nice learning experience.
Ampère Volt
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Danger! High Voltage!

« Reply #638 on: April 04, 2008, 12:05:07 pm »

Some Kabeljauw and Haring are coming your way, as a way to say thank you for the lovely bucket of eels  Wink

You've been here several weeks  Huh I feel like such a spammer, I'm sure that will end once my Zeppelin Captain arrives in about 48 days...  Grin
Lady Penelope
Zeppelin Admiral

Aiming to misbehave

« Reply #639 on: April 04, 2008, 04:09:44 pm »

Finally I live in the Highlands, (yes it is lovely and sheep are interesting creatures. We do have electricity and yes I have attended more than one cellidh. No I don't live in a quaint cottage.)

I never made it as far north as the Highlands.  However, I thought the Trossachs quite lovely, and had a delightful time in Edinburgh, as well as a rather nice daytrip to the Isle of Bute (though I was devastated to return to London only to find that the entire roll of film I thought I'd shot on Bute had been loaded in the camera improperly, and therefore I didn't get a single picture).  Glasgow I only got to see by evening light and first thing in the morning, but the B&B I stayed in had a Victorian flair to it, come to think.

Sheep put me in mind of the shortest SCA persona story I've heard:  "My father was a shepherd, and my mother was very unhaaaaaaapy...."   Cheesy
lilibat
Rogue Ætherlord

gamer geek goth girl

lilibat
« Reply #640 on: April 06, 2008, 09:02:43 am »

New, obviously if I am posting in this thread.  Roll Eyes

I have recently been working on Steampunk costume bits for my husband and myself. You can see what I have been doing here:
http://www.threethirteen.net/x/clockwork/ I have posted most of this on the Livejournal group steamfashion.

We are also working on a Steampunk formal sitting room in our new house. We have most of the furniture, but need to get some wainscoting and other woodwork done before we can do much with it.

Ampère Volt
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Danger! High Voltage!

« Reply #641 on: April 06, 2008, 11:36:40 am »

Welcome! I'm also on Steamfashion  Grin
Thaif
Snr. Officer
Finland Finland

A Chaotic Good Deadpan Snarker.

« Reply #642 on: April 07, 2008, 02:00:52 pm »

After 2 ½ weeks of frantic posting. I'll formally introduce myself. Krhm.

I've been causing wonderment & odd stares for many people of this fair lump of rock and soil for some 20 years now and theres plenty more to come.(I hope..)

I'm on my last year of vocational school, studying electronics & IT-technology. Boring I know, but I like computer fiddling so why not do them for a living?

I have been into this "thing" that is called steampunk(or steampulp) for...how much will I lie...say...8 to 6 years. That is when the interest truly started to flare up.

I'm up for all aspects of this steamy genre, as I can't seem to conjure any dislike for any particular aspect, yet at least.

I own a pair of hands that seem to be quite good for building and fiddling with stuff & scrap. Plus I have a way too active imagination.
What I mean to say is that you might see some Works 'n Arts in the Tactile section of the forum. Eventually anyway.

As a side note: My moniker "Thaif", comes from a mispronunciation of the game title "Thief", that my friend blurted out. I figured it was good so I adopted it. Been using it for 7-6 years now and very rarely has it been taken by someone else. I "pride" myself for being the "one and only".

Nothing else to add, so I'll say Hello to any other new forumers and give others the turn to step to the limelight. The stage is yours.
*disappears behind the curtain*

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. -Henry David Thoreau

A Shameless Plug.
Ampère Volt
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Danger! High Voltage!

« Reply #643 on: April 07, 2008, 04:22:36 pm »

After 2 ½ weeks of frantic posting. I'll formally introduce myself. Krhm.

Please don't say that, you're making me look bad  Undecided Roll Eyes
Air Cdre Winnifred
Snr. Officer

« Reply #644 on: April 07, 2008, 04:51:48 pm »

Hello! I've been lurking on these boards for a while, and decided to quit being quite so creepy... maybe. I live in Florida, but only for a few more months (eep! college!). I'm obsessed with aquariums (apparently I'm currently engaged to a grunt sculpin Huh (I'm not sure either)). Also I correct everyone's grammar (especially good vs. well, that mistake is continually irratating).
...and, like everyone else here, I've been interested in steampunk/victoriana for awhile and am just now discovering that it's a legitimant sub-culture...thing.
mr. RUTTO
« Reply #645 on: April 07, 2008, 07:09:05 pm »

Hello.
I'm mr. RUTTO (rutto means plague in english, if somebody wants to know) and I have been reading this forums posts for about.. Well, long enough anyway. I'm from Finland as you can see and I have been quite SP for all my life (I've collected antique and candlesticks etc. from sixth grade, yes people think/thought I am/was weird). I just didn't know about steampunk before I accidentally found Wikipedia's article about that.
Right now I'm studying to become a practical nurse, but what I really want is to become an artisan.
Hmm.. You can ask, if there's something else you want to know about me.
Chasefowl
« Reply #646 on: April 07, 2008, 07:22:38 pm »

hello all. i have been drawn here from a similar forum, happy to be here   Cheesy
Jemima Annabelle Clough
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

When you're tired of tea, you're tired of life

« Reply #647 on: April 07, 2008, 07:32:35 pm »

Welcome one and all Smiley

Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire
J.F.Dawson
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

Alternative Popcultural Archæologist

« Reply #648 on: April 07, 2008, 11:27:16 pm »

Yes, fellow Deck Hands, make yourself feel at home - it won´t take long, I can assure you! Smiley

Mr. Winifred, I like your healthy attitude towards grammatical and spelling issues! That was one of the reasons why I decided to join this group, the above-average level of language and (still...) relative absence of swearing, compared to other Æthernet-groups.
Air Cdre Winnifred
Snr. Officer

« Reply #649 on: April 08, 2008, 12:44:31 am »

I'm a miss, but yes. It is most refreshing.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 149   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: