The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 10, 2019, 07:22:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 149   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 293679 times)
Lady Lavinea Dreadful
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Ragamuffin and cad

« Reply #600 on: March 17, 2008, 07:20:21 pm »

I'm in the Ozarks, it's curable, and I'll soon be well of them. You want to experience anouther country but don't have your passport, try the southern Midwest.
Born and raised extreme northern California, moved to the fantasy world of Hollywood, worked there as a special make up effects artist for nearly 20 years, needed to flee the rat race for awhile. Found mates in the in the aether, moved in with them, broke my back,  and now I make goggles to earn my keep.
I've always keep, what friends called a "lab" for a work space, never been really categorizable, so if what I like to build fills a need that's great. Not alot of call for monsters in Missouri.
Tend to be a hermit by nature, yet once in awhile I pop my head out, like now, and say 'ello.

Salutations,glad to see you found your way to ye olde brass goggles forum! look forward to conversing.

Cheers!
Ms Boo

vermillion
Snr. Officer

Captain of the air-ship Orfiel.

« Reply #601 on: March 17, 2008, 09:34:40 pm »

I'm not really one to talk about myself for very long...so I'll be short and sweet.

I'm Maggie, 24, NYC
I'm currently a receptionist, and a graphic designer.

On the side though, I am a Pirate, Gamer, Traveler (sadly not a time traveler- - - -yet.), Horror movie survivor, and novice jeweller-I'm working on my first steampunk jewellery attempt. I have this problem where I simply cannot sit still and I must be doing something, whether its building something, or learning something new, or crafting.... you wont see me sit around and do nothing for very long. (unless it's one of those 'do-nothing' days.)

I have too much free time.. I'm currently a designer of greeting cards and everything else. (soon to be on etsy), a freelance webdesigner, and concept artist. I guess you can call me a Creative-Mercenary.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 10:12:17 pm by vermillion » Logged
Tesla_Foiled
« Reply #602 on: March 18, 2008, 05:22:27 am »

Whoops, I don't know how I glanced over this.

I accidentally introduced myself in a new thread. Any admin. is welcome to delete if they feel it unnecessary.  Grin

http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=7737.0
MPsy
Snr. Officer

Capt. Wong Wei

« Reply #603 on: March 18, 2008, 07:14:27 pm »

Wecome Vermillion and Tesla_Foiled!  Hop on in the water's fine!

-Captain of the Dreadful Rumor-
"We're not lost!  We're on an adventure!"

Mad Calamity Photos
http://madcalamity.zenfolio.com/

Convention coverage, shorts, interviews, and vlogs!
http://www.youtube.com/user/youknowwhaaa
Miss V
Officer

« Reply #604 on: March 18, 2008, 08:16:46 pm »

Greetings! I’ve been mostly lurking about this fine forum, posting only a handful of times, and have decided it is about time to make a formal introduction.

I have been a fan of Steampunk as a genre for some time, but only in the last half a year or so have I been made aware of Steampunk as an aesthetic and life style. As a life long fan of things both vintage and anachronistic, it was a truly delightful discovery!

I’m an inveterate dabbler in things creative: sewing, crafting, writing, web design, dancing, repurposing, etc. I’m already enjoying the new inspiration the forum has flung my way. I’m hoping to gather up a completed outfit soon so that I might share my thrifting finds and modifications soon.

I currently reside in Maryland, but am soon to relocate to the West Coast (San Diego Area) this summer. As a California native, this is a welcome and long awaited move.
Doctor Trakov
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Admiral of the 14th Belogravian Airship Navy

« Reply #605 on: March 18, 2008, 08:20:36 pm »

Welcome, Everyone!
Griffin
Gunner

Dashing, Young stowaway

« Reply #606 on: March 19, 2008, 04:34:25 am »

Introductions? I'm up for it. Hello, how do you do, etc. I am Griffin. I became interested in steampunk recently when i found out that it was more than just an awesome fantasy. I just started finding clothes and doing steampunkish projects in the past week so I'm curious to how I will end up. Anywho, here I am.

Let the windows Fog
Let the Mirrors blur
For our engines are driven
By water's spur.
Lily
Snr. Officer

« Reply #607 on: March 19, 2008, 05:24:40 am »

I currently reside in Maryland,

Ah, I was about to offer my condolences then I saw you're getting out of here. Smart girl. Wink

Welcome, welcome all! Someone will be around shortly with tea and cookies.

Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.
michaelbeeman
Zeppelin Captain

Covered in bees!

« Reply #608 on: March 19, 2008, 04:16:01 pm »

Welcome all! So glad you fine people have found us, please make yourself comfortable.

"If you can't laugh at yourself, you must not be very funny."
Miss V
Officer

« Reply #609 on: March 20, 2008, 04:53:21 am »

Ah, I was about to offer my condolences then I saw you're getting out of here. Smart girl. Wink

Not so smart that I didn't come here in the first place.  Wink
Lily
Snr. Officer

« Reply #610 on: March 20, 2008, 05:15:04 am »

Not so smart that I didn't come here in the first place.  Wink

There are worse places to live... I think. The irony is whenever people ask me about Maryland, you'd think I work for the Dept. of Tourism. There really are a million great things to do here and more variety than you can shake a stick at, it just isn't home. That would be North Carolina. Shoot, even North Dakota felt more like home (must be a north thing).

I live in the Balt/Wash corridor and I would swear on a stack of hundreds we can go toe to toe with New York for rudest inhabitants.
ATR
« Reply #611 on: March 20, 2008, 01:50:30 pm »

Hay guise! I'm pretty newb at this, but I've been interested in steampunk for quite a while. Even though I like the style and vibe from it, I don't know much about it. Eh. Cry
Difference Engineer
Snr. Officer

Not steampunk, but an incredible soy substitute.

« Reply #612 on: March 20, 2008, 04:23:31 pm »

I live in the Balt/Wash corridor and I would swear on a stack of hundreds we can go toe to toe with New York for rudest inhabitants.
Oddly enough, drivers in the heart of Manhattan at rush hour are more polite and considerate than drivers on the DC Beltway at any hour during the daytime.

"You look like you're about to jump in your gyrocopter or something."
--Anonymous coworker
vermillion
Snr. Officer

Captain of the air-ship Orfiel.

« Reply #613 on: March 20, 2008, 08:20:27 pm »

Oddly enough, drivers in the heart of Manhattan at rush hour are more polite and considerate than drivers on the DC Beltway at any hour during the daytime.

...but they do have some competition from drivers on the cross bronx expressway...
Ben Hudson, Esq.
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

New avatar, same person.

« Reply #614 on: March 22, 2008, 02:26:23 pm »

Hay guise! I'm pretty newb at this, but I've been interested in steampunk for quite a while. Even though I like the style and vibe from it, I don't know much about it. Eh. Cry

Well, this is probably a good place to learn Smiley A hearty welcome, and I can assure you that no-one cares one jot about your perceived newbishness.
Ben

Quod me non necat me confirmat

Cappuccino?! I'll give you a cappuccino!

Fellow of the Retrofuturist Society
Mrs. Sullivan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #615 on: March 23, 2008, 12:43:37 am »

I suppose I should introduce myself - I am Mrs. M.L. Sullivan of Portland, Oregon.  I am looking forward to meeting some of my fellow steamers at the Horse Brass pub tonight - hopefully, this event will be recorded for posterity, and I will have photographic proof that I do exist!

I\\\'m in Darkshines\\\' Sewing Swap!
Albrecht
Zeppelin Captain
Germany Germany

Commanding Officer LZ-X1 Württemberg

« Reply #616 on: March 23, 2008, 05:54:11 pm »

A very warm welcome to all the new faces. As usual, there's cognac and cigars in the officers' room.

DieselSandwich
« Reply #617 on: March 30, 2008, 08:06:13 pm »

Hullo all.

I've recently taken a liking to steampunk and related things, especially the technology and settings of the genre and subculture. It has a style and a feel to it that acts like a relentless muse to me, breeding plot bunnies in my brain. I'm not sure quite yet but I think the next thing I write may either be strongly influenced or entirely within the steampunk setting and style. I've certainly been lurking on this forum for a while now learning more. But now I feel it's high time I made an account and introduced myself.

My name is Sophia. You may call me by DieselSandwich or DS. You can as well use my regular name or any variation on it (Sophie, Soph, Phie, etc).  I'm a college student and a somewhat new writer and I'm glad to be here. ^_^
Bashar Rufus Bashford
« Reply #618 on: March 30, 2008, 09:33:29 pm »

hello all, my user name on here has sort of no real reason as half of it is from a random genrator and the other is from dune.
in reality i'm know by 'Shep' i'm 24 still a student at univeristy here in sunny old england.  maybe one day i will build a steam contraption but that maybe a while off yet, anyway i'm rambling see you all on the boards Smiley
CapnSamwise
Gunner

So there I was, naked.

« Reply #619 on: March 31, 2008, 07:04:47 am »

So, my girlfriend was captured by the Clockwerk Mechamancers over in stuffy old Oxford, and I need to build an awesomely impractical auto-gyro in order to rescue her, since I am just awesome like that. Preferably powered by burning endangered animals, since I am, you know, American.

Also, my name is Sam and it is very nice to meet all of you. I don't know when I first started getting into Steampunk, but I do know that once I found out about it, it just sort of clicked, you know? "Wow, this is all really cool. Plus, it helps explain those disturbingly erotic dreams I have about brass goggles." I think was what I said out loud in the public library, which is why I'm not allowed there anymore, but that's another story.

I spend most of my days reading and not doing homework until I absolutely have to. This has lead me to become the local pariah of the English department, since most professors cannot tell the difference between when I've done the reading, and when I'm just making things up based on a brief skimming of the work. Because of this, I've decided to become a stuffy professor, in order to prevent another one of me sliding by on charisma alone. This has been stymied due to the fact that everyone in Education has a stick up their ass.

In all honesty, you couldn't find a bigger bunch of humorless jerks if you lobotomized a truckful of Lawyers, it's impressive, it really is.

Moreover, "English Professor" is one of the few professions that has remained basically unchanged since the Victorian era. Hero-worship of everything that came before you, a facist intellectual policy that stymies creativity and growth, dusty books (I love books, especially old ones), and too much time in libraries.

Also, I talk too much. Goodbye!

The only thing more dangerous than a good idea is a bad idea held by motivated idiots.
Ampère Volt
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Danger! High Voltage!

« Reply #620 on: March 31, 2008, 05:47:33 pm »

My name is Manon and I'm enjoying myself here  Grin

I have a small business in Victorian Dressmaking Supplies, and things like bustle petticoats, parasols and hat patterns and supplies. It's not just for the ladies either Wink

I just came to the realization I never wear the same costume twice, this may explain the explosive growth in my wardrobe.
Maybe I'll have to try and wear them more often  Shocked

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
<i>Oscar Wilde</i>
A ruffled mind makes a restless pillow.
<i>Charlotte Bronte</i>
Anders
Snr. Officer

Obtainer of Rare Antiquities

« Reply #621 on: March 31, 2008, 06:04:12 pm »

I've already made my introductory post elsewhere, but I thought a quick note here wouldn't hurt Smiley

I'm a third-year college student (though my recent change in major makes that irrelevant) studying Information Systems.  I am very interested in science fiction, speculative fiction, and Victorian mystery.  As a child, the film Journey to the Center of the Earth was one of my favorites, and I read plenty of Sherlock Holmes in addition to every other book I could lay my grubby paws on.  Steampunk as a genre caught my attention via the Mad Scientist Light on Instructables, which led to me reading The Steampunk Home, and then a quick link-hop over here.

Nice to meet you all!
Lady Penelope
Zeppelin Admiral

Aiming to misbehave

« Reply #622 on: March 31, 2008, 10:21:09 pm »

I've posted a few things here and there, but never actually got around to introducing myself, so I guess it's time.

Hello, I'm Lady Penelope, and I'm married to SteampunkBuilder.  (This may come as a surprise to him--not that we're married, I mean, but it belatedly occurs to me that I've never mentioned to him what user name I joined the BG forum under!  Grin )  Together, we have two children, a dog, three hermit crabs, and we're owned by a cat.  We live in Alabama, near Birmingham.

I'm a lover of things historical, which probably stems from having spent part of my childhood in Naples, Italy, going for school field trips to cool places like Pompeii and Herculaneum and the like.  (And yes, if I could find a sandalpunk forum similar to this, I would so be there too!  Or what would a Renaissance version be...daVincipunk?)  When I was around eight, my dad gave me an anthology of Edgar Allen Poe stories and poetry, and a collection of Sherlock Holmes stories as well, so I've been warped for life ever since.  I also remember a children's version of "Journey to the Center of the Earth," which I read and read and read and read...to this day, I can't remember for certain if it had an extraordinary number of cool illustrations, or if I just imagined everything so vividly.  I also read a version (probably abridged also) of Swiss Family Robinson, and daydreamed for days on end about what I'd do if I found myself shipwrecked on some exotic coast and had to fend for myself for years.  Then I discovered space opera--modify daydream to include strange and exotic planets....   Smiley

It's probably my fault that my husband found this forum; I had sent him a link to a website with some steampunked Star Wars pictures (SW being one of my other loves), and he found them so interesting he did a websearch on "steampunk."  Soon, there was the barrage of other steampunk page links emailed back and forth.  Happened across Datamancer's and Jake von Slatt's pages, and fell in love.  (Erm, with the craftmanship and lovely aesthetics, that is....*glancing around furtively in case My Darling Center of the Universe just happens to be passing through* )  The next thing I knew, MDCotU had discovered Brass Goggles, and I was a steampunk widow.   Grin  I decided to lurk just to see what I was up against, and got hooked.  So, "Ni Howdy, y'all!", she says, being both a Southerner and a Browncoat.

I'm not much of a tinkerer myself; I leave that to my other half with all those wood/leather/metalworking skills.  I've made my own lightsaber, but even that required a little bit of borrowed assistance, as drilling holes in metal was a tad beyond my skill set.  I may get a bit more into the costuming aspects, if I can get past my little aversion to sewing.  You'd think 20 years of being in the SCA would've cured me of that, but nooo.  (Which is why, despite having an Elizabethan persona, most of my costuming consists of very early period garb.  *sigh* But if anyone out there would like to dress me, just call me Steampunk Barbie....  Wink)  However, in terms of having an eye for found objects that can be turned into nifty cool stuff, I'm your gal.  I suspect I'm actually more of a NeoVictorian than a true steampunker, although I do have a fascination with nifty-cool gadgets, and a love for warm materials such as brass, copper, fine woodwork, and leather.

Well, I guess that's it for the moment,
Nell

Lily
Snr. Officer

« Reply #623 on: March 31, 2008, 10:42:31 pm »

Lots of new people! Welcome, welcome, please make yourselves at home.
Torchholder
Gunner

« Reply #624 on: April 01, 2008, 07:57:50 am »

It is a pleasure to see new folks here as well as all the old faces.  I was concerned that many would fall away when BG was down for a stretch.  Seems my concern was for naught.  Welcome all.

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it." -- Terry Pratchett
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 149   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: