The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 12, 2019, 08:12:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 149   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 293717 times)
Anne Murphy
« Reply #575 on: March 10, 2008, 02:27:38 am »

I guess I should jump in here as well and expose myself as it were.  I am an avid gamer and geeky mom with an over active imagination that I am attempting to channel into pages and pages of text. (that's usually called writing a book, but I haven't gotten that far yet) Anne is one of my characters that always seems to do much better when she's functioning on her own volition, so you will have to excuse her butting into things on occasion.  I came across this place while doing some research and was intrigued by a forum with little to no bickering and drama, combined with volumes of information and how-tos, it has become a daily stopping point for me. 

I'm currently plotting out what is left of her world, and those that populate it.  I've more of a taste for post apocalyptic steam than the more traditional variety, although I do have a love of all things from that era.  I will probably lurk more than participate, but who knows.  Smiley
Bezier
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Captain between crews

« Reply #576 on: March 10, 2008, 06:01:33 am »

Well...

Greetings everyone. My name is Damien, I am 18, live in a strange town in the southern area of Australia (known to us as the state of South Australia). I am currently a student studying a course in Multimedia.

I am relatively new to the steampunk  scene, having discovered it out of sheer boredom and instantly falling in love with the whole appeal of it. I am planning on making a short 3D steampunk animation for my final project in my course, as well. Pretty much everyone living in my area, being primarily chavs and bogans, has no idea what steampunk even is, and, being the social person I am, I seem to be in need of people with whom I may discuss this most wonderful style and culture without attracting confused expressions.

My other interests lie in video games, art, hats and music. I pretty much don't discriminate in any of those areas, I'm a very positive person Cheesy
Rishado
« Reply #577 on: March 10, 2008, 10:34:54 am »

Greetings to you all.

I've been interested in the concept of steam ever since that fateful day that I received my Arcanum demo in the mail. I played it for hours and hours, and that's just the demo..When I finally had the full game..Oi! As with many others, I just didn't know there was a whole genre and such associated with the idea. It took my lovely bride-to-be, you know her as Kirix, to introduce me to these Forums.

The name Rishado has been my "main" character name for about the past 15 years. If you've ever played a MMO, MUD, or other multiplayer RP type thing and seen someone named Rishado it might've been me. As far as the steamified version goes..I'll get into that when I have the time to write up a proper story and post it in some RP type thing.

Personal stuff..Hmm..I'm 23, married (just missing the ceremony), and an eternal student. That's me in the picture, if you can see it. Think that about covers it.

Anything else I missed will most likely come out in due time.
michaelbeeman
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Covered in bees!

« Reply #578 on: March 10, 2008, 05:06:46 pm »

Welcome, welcome all! So good to see so many wonderful new folks joining this delightful little community.

Rishado, as Miss Kirix's shipmate on the jolly ol' Zep 01, the Beeman is at your service. Grin

"If you can't laugh at yourself, you must not be very funny."
Fortigurn
Zeppelin Captain
Taiwan Taiwan

« Reply #579 on: March 10, 2008, 06:03:00 pm »

Rishado, I love the perspective you've captured in the photo you're using for your avatar.  Is that a standard wide angle lens, or a fisheye?

My eyes!  The goggles - they do nothing!

Steampunk@Redbubble

Brushes:

500ml

Obsidian Daw
Rishado
« Reply #580 on: March 10, 2008, 09:40:29 pm »

In all honesty it's just myself pointing a really big revolver at a camera, toss it through sepia and sharpen filters in an image editing program, and bam! there's my avatar.

Glad to hear it and thank you, Mr. Beeman. Just let me know if you ever have any troubles and need them "removed". Since you're a shipmate of my beloved's, I suppose a discount of sorts could be arranged.  Wink
Miss Pixie
Snr. Officer

Shantygirl on the Airship Eudora

« Reply #581 on: March 14, 2008, 10:05:16 am »

I figure it's about time to introduce myself, even though I've already made eighty posts.

Lets see...

My name is Terra, I'm 18, and I live in Oregon in the USA.

I have a rainbow mohawk and two vertical lip piercings, two piercings in each ear, and one in my tongue.

I play rugby, my team are the Wonder Women, and so far this season we've only played one game with a full side. My position is outside center.

I kind of play the concertina, though I never practice and I'm not very good.

I've almost beat Zelda: A Link to the Past on SNES. All I have to do is fight Ganon.

I'm not in school, I live with my mom, and I have no job. Though that last one is not for a complete lack of trying; every time a coffee shop has called me in for an interview as soon as they see me they tell me that they have a policy against unnaturally colored hair and piercings. Coffee shops!! Having a problem with alternative looking people! What is the world coming to? It's especially weird since a live in city where alternative looks are pretty accepted.[/rant]

Anyhoooooo...

Ummm...

I'm a bit of a geek. I read comics, I play pen and paper RPGs, I know the Green Lantern oath, I play Stacraft, I can solve a Rubik's Cube, I grew up watching Star Trek (TNG and Voyager)...

I make bad "your mom" jokes all the time. With everything. Even when it doesn't make sense. This XKCD comic sums it up pretty well:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I do not drink alcohol or smoke pot, though all my friends do.

I'm a third generation hippie. My grandparents lived in a school bus.

Mmyep.

~Miss Pixie
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 11:00:35 am by Miss Pixie » Logged

We're all here because we're not all there.
Albrecht
Zeppelin Captain
Germany Germany

Commanding Officer LZ-X1 W├╝rttemberg

« Reply #582 on: March 14, 2008, 10:29:09 am »

I'm a third generation hippie. My grandparents lived in a school bus.

Mmyep.

~Miss Pixie

Now this is an alternative accomodation, I must say.
Try to get into software/internet stuff, as far as I know, no prejudices against alternative looks, needs some education, though.
I was still in school when I was your age... like... 16 years ago *howl*

MPsy
Snr. Officer

Capt. Wong Wei

« Reply #583 on: March 14, 2008, 10:38:33 am »

I know the Green Lantern oath...

*HIGH FIVE*

Apprently I quoted the GL oath in a bath tub drunk out of my mind at the last convention I was at.  Perfectly I might add...everything else after that...ehhhhhh...

-Captain of the Dreadful Rumor-
"We're not lost!  We're on an adventure!"

Mad Calamity Photos
http://madcalamity.zenfolio.com/

Convention coverage, shorts, interviews, and vlogs!
http://www.youtube.com/user/youknowwhaaa
Miss Pixie
Snr. Officer

Shantygirl on the Airship Eudora

« Reply #584 on: March 14, 2008, 10:59:47 am »

*HIGH FIVE*

Apprently I quoted the GL oath in a bath tub drunk out of my mind at the last convention I was at.  Perfectly I might add...everything else after that...ehhhhhh...

Yeah, I have a Green Lantern T-shirt, and whenever anyone compliments it I just start reciting Grin
MPsy
Snr. Officer

Capt. Wong Wei

« Reply #585 on: March 14, 2008, 07:26:57 pm »

*HIGH FIVE*

Yeah, I have a Green Lantern T-shirt, and whenever anyone compliments it I just start reciting Grin

Got the Sinestro Corps shirt yet?
Doctor Howl
« Reply #586 on: March 15, 2008, 09:17:49 pm »

Hello.  I am Doctor Howl.  I live in the American Southwest, in the high desert.

There's not much to do up here after work - especially in the summer - so I mostly build 19th century-style Rube Goldberg contraptions, and bugger around on the internet.

At the risk of sounding boastful, I am something of a technical expert when it comes to analog electrical circuits, and most mechanical subjects.  I am always willing to teach, learn, or exhange ideas.

anjin
Zeppelin Captain
Spain Spain

« Reply #587 on: March 15, 2008, 10:00:23 pm »

Welcome here, sir.

--
Anjin
"un marinaio non prega per il tempo buono... impara
a navigare"
www.anjinart.com
http://anjinart.blogspot.com
Doctor Howl
« Reply #588 on: March 15, 2008, 10:22:07 pm »

Welcome here, sir.

Thanks.  Are most members in the USA, or in the UK?
BoilerGoth
Gunner

Mad Gogglesmyth

« Reply #589 on: March 16, 2008, 05:58:39 am »

I'm in the Ozarks, it's curable, and I'll soon be well of them. You want to experience anouther country but don't have your passport, try the southern Midwest.
Born and raised extreme northern California, moved to the fantasy world of Hollywood, worked there as a special make up effects artist for nearly 20 years, needed to flee the rat race for awhile. Found mates in the in the aether, moved in with them, broke my back,  and now I make goggles to earn my keep.
I've always keep, what friends called a "lab" for a work space, never been really categorizable, so if what I like to build fills a need that's great. Not alot of call for monsters in Missouri.
Tend to be a hermit by nature, yet once in awhile I pop my head out, like now, and say 'ello.

According to physics, the bumble bee cannot fly.
Doctor Howl
« Reply #590 on: March 16, 2008, 05:19:43 pm »

I'm in the Ozarks, it's curable, and I'll soon be well of them.

You are in denial.  You may in fact leave the Ozarks, but the Ozarks will never leave you.

You will, one day, "come to" and find your home's walls completely covered in black velvet Jesus/Elvis paintings, your medicine cabinet full of Chig-away, and your fridge full of Moon Pies and RC cola.

Doc Howl,
Knows the face of Missoorah.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 05:45:08 pm by Doctor Howl » Logged
Sgt Alistair King
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #591 on: March 16, 2008, 06:24:16 pm »

I like RC...but then again grew up in the Great State of Virginia, and yes it must be said with caps.  Cheesy

Don't tell me this is another experiment crossing lines that man was not meant to cross..
BoilerGoth
Gunner

Mad Gogglesmyth

« Reply #592 on: March 16, 2008, 07:58:37 pm »

You are in denial.  You may in fact leave the Ozarks, but the Ozarks will never leave you.

Doc Howl,

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo............................
I still have all my teeth, I do. And they are firmly planted in my gums, retaining their natural white coloration.
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher

« Reply #593 on: March 16, 2008, 08:19:03 pm »

A gas station in my town once got a single shipment of cased RC Cola... It must have been a mistake. A few mates and I pobably bought most of it. *Sigh*

This was up in Canada, mind. Few hours north of Montana.

Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com
Victor Corbett
Gunner

« Reply #594 on: March 17, 2008, 01:51:00 am »

Lovely avatar Doc H. Do you slack?

Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.
~George Bernard Shaw
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #595 on: March 17, 2008, 02:34:32 am »

I suppose I should at least pop in and do the honors..

My name is Harold, although for time immemorial, my nickname (even before the internet) has been HAC. (it was given to me at work, after I jimmied in a quick and dirty software patch that solved a failed mainframe OS (VM\370, I had my own test res pack) upgrade)
  I'm Canadian, and currently live in Calgary. I was raised by my grandfather (who emmigrated to Canada in 1919 from Britain, after the end of the WW1). That might explain something in regards to my being here, as the gaffer was pretty Victorian in his ways.
  All of my working life was spent with one company (34 years service), Canadian Pacific Railway. All of that time was in IT, beginning waaaaaay back inthe old mainframe days.  While I did most every IT job out there, my last years were spent in security, and  systems analysis and reporting. First computer I ever got to paly with was an IBM 1401. Did a stint in systems architecture and design (both hardware and software) as well. Also was on the install team for the first ever robotic tape library system in Canada.  Did some serious network stuff too, in the mainframe days.
  Being with the railroad has advantages, as I got to spend a fair bit of  time "on the property" learning the business and craft of railroading.
When CPR decided to repatriate and restore to running one of their Hudson class locos (2816) I was fortunate enough to be invloved,and taken under the wing of a master steam mechanic for 3 years.  I actually was allowed to do this as part of my job. That's where I learned the wisdom of steam, both theory and dirty handed. Outside of my gold retirement pin, my proudest railroad service memento is a plain brass pin that reads "2816 Support Crew". These were not handed out easily by the company, you had to earn them. I even got the chance to sit in the right hand seat for a bit...Now that was an experience.. (it was a retirement gift from the gang)
   Other than that, my main hobby for the last 12 years has been horology, notably with pocket watches. Again, I was fortunate enough to have an old-school watchmaker as a friend and mentor.
   So, that's it, I suppose....  Oh... I don't do SP costuming,  but  I do  consider a flat cap normal wear....and my goggles are CPR issue  Grin from my 2186 days..

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Doctor Howl
« Reply #596 on: March 17, 2008, 03:44:07 am »

Lovely avatar Doc H. Do you slack?

I've been Slacking since 1981.

Doc Howl,
Still hasn't managed to kill "Bob" yet.
Doctor Howl
« Reply #597 on: March 17, 2008, 03:45:13 am »

Doc Howl,

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo............................
I still have all my teeth, I do. And they are firmly planted in my gums, retaining their natural white coloration.

Your body will spontaneously reject them.  Trust me on this.

I'm a Doctor.
Doctor Howl
« Reply #598 on: March 17, 2008, 03:46:16 am »

A gas station in my town once got a single shipment of cased RC Cola... It must have been a mistake. A few mates and I pobably bought most of it. *Sigh*

This was up in Canada, mind. Few hours north of Montana.

I spent my childhood on The Rock (Newfoundland, for you mainlanders).

Now I live in the high desert, a few miles from Mexico.  Go figure.
BoilerGoth
Gunner

Mad Gogglesmyth

« Reply #599 on: March 17, 2008, 04:21:59 pm »

Oh, okay, the doctor's right... I'm planning on spreading the disease when I get out. Ha ha ha, muhaa haa!!!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 149   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: