The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 08, 2019, 08:46:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 149   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 293645 times)
Ms. N. Joyce Kingsly
« Reply #450 on: January 16, 2008, 11:52:11 pm »

Salutations Everyone,

My name is N.J. I’ve been lurking for awhile now, getting the feel of the place so to speak, and I’ve decided to introduce myself. I’m 26, born in the American west, widely travelled and educated, expatriated in 2003, Lived in the London Borough of Richmond upon Tames until 2006, repatriated myself only to find things in a sorrier state than when I left. I’m a writer, a journalist mostly, but I’m working on my own projects (Aren’t we all). I also paint and draw a bit which has been very handy insomuch as bringing to life my imaginings. I also tinker periodically. I wouldn’t say I’m new to steam punk, in fact anachronism has been a constant throughout my life. I’ve always enjoyed steamy Vic. Lit. and have a taste for its modern counterparts. I have a definite wild and impulsive streak. I’m more an air pirate or mad scientist than a lady of letters. Even my day to day look is a bit roguish. I look forward to participating in the forum and am very glad to have found an entire group of like minded people.

Regards,

Ms. N. Joyce Kingsly

w00p w00p w00p!

Rest assured sir, I will post pictures on the playing dressup thread as soon as I’ve figured out the process.

N.J.
Cortigiana Onesta
Officer
Japan Japan

Steampunk Courtesan

« Reply #451 on: January 17, 2008, 02:34:15 am »

As I registered rather late last year and have been reading, I thought perhaps I should introduce myself and actually start posting.

In regards to the basics, my name is Mazi (it is a shortened version of my username, which happens to be part of my birth/legal name). I live in rural Japan with my husband, our son, and four cats. I spend my free time creating various things but my current two passions include jewelry (precious metals) and photography (both digital and film, primarily medium format and pinhole for the film).

I have an interest in steam stories dating back to my childhood when I saw Journey To The Center Of The Earth and 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. I began to build a steam inspired wardrobe and found the steampunk community in 2006 and have been lurking about online since then.

Silas P. Morgan
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #452 on: January 17, 2008, 09:33:28 am »

Hey... I'm a Pyrate.... if you don't believe me.... I've gots th' references...... (and a blunderbuss , a cutlass an two pistoles......)

Before that I was A Klingon..... (OK lacking reference there..... Klingons don't tell such things.............................)

What I find so fascinating about Steampunk is the DIY aspect...... I have never liked how stuff comes out from the "market" and have alway modified it to fit my ideas....

OK on to the introduction....

I'm a swm (49.... dang.... I'm almost 50. half a century..... ouch... I don't feel that old...........)
Heavy smoker.... an' drinker......

Tall.... 6' 3"..... use to be thin.... but my gut is catching up with me now (not too bad.... but enough that it bothers me....)

Locally I'm known as a crazy... so if I wear goggles on my hat.... no one gives it a second glance.......

Yah know.... if yer going to post an into.... you should not do it when yer drunk......

Thankfully I can edit this.......

bluestocking
Snr. Officer

Editrix, mixologist, raconteur

« Reply #453 on: January 17, 2008, 10:12:12 pm »

Greetings to all,

After a significant period of lurking, I've decided to contribute to this fine community as well as enjoying its fruits.

I am a fashion historian by training and currently a newspaper editor by profession. My fascination for the machines and ephemera of previous centuries is lifelong; a favorite pastime of mine and my husband's is "Identify this Rusted Component" at one of our area's many local antique and junk emporia.

Previously, I was a dedicated Medieval and Renaissance re-enactor. I have moved away from this pursuit due to the unwonted  and uncivil political infighting and snarkiness experienced at most local reenactment groups, as well as the extreme difficulty of incorporating aspects of the clothing of these time-periods, the creation of which requires many hours of labor, into my daily wardrobe (whilst I have a great deal of latitude in my daily dress, I fear that a farthingale would wreak havoc on the close confines of the newsroom). My brief experience with the fine gentles of this community encourage me to believe that the former shall not be a consideration, and experimentation has proven that a wardrobe which partakes of a moderate Steampunk aesthetic (no egregiously outsized Edwardian hats for me, regrettably) raises no eyebrows, even in my small upstate New York town.

Apparently, I also have a positively Victorian talent for prodigious quantities of excessively-verbose prose.  Smiley
Jacob Cook
Snr. Officer

« Reply #454 on: January 17, 2008, 11:24:33 pm »

Hey... I'm a Pyrate.... if you don't believe me.... I've gots th' references...... (and a blunderbuss , a cutlass an two pistoles......)

Patrick Hand, is that you?

Well, what to say about myself... fourteen years old, although I'd like to say I act much older. I've lurked here for a while and recently decided to register. I like cliched nerdy things like D&D, Magic: the Gathering, Star Wars, etc. I have a keen interest in vintage fashions and the like, part of which have drawn me to steampunk. I love folk music -- a lot of it fits in with this time, too -- cowboy songs, sea shanties, etc. 
beschattet
« Reply #455 on: January 18, 2008, 06:42:00 am »

I feel that the length of time which I have spent lurking here may have moved well beyond polite distance and into the realm of aloofness, so I thought I should introduce myself.

I use various pseudonyms (better to confuse any authorities who might take issue with my experiments), the most recent of which is Doktor Nikola von Beschattet. By day, I am a NOC Controller and student of Anthropology; by night, an aspiring novelist and functioning insomniac. I'm often found reciting Shakespeare in a smoking jacket and exactly one sock, arguing about who shot first, talking about but never actually building a Tesla coil, combing eBay for antique watch movements, and researching etching techniques. I live in Los Angeles. I have four cats. I am a confirmed atheist. I drink brandy and smoke cigars, and lament not having a mustache to twine about my fingertips when lost in thought. I shouldn't be allowed near a kitchen unless you've a special place in your heart for impromptu pyrotechnic displays.

Until recently, I've been lingering in the outskirts of steam society. The interest has certainly been there for some time; my grandmother, a writer, read Jules Verne to me when I was wee, and my grandfather, an amateur radio aficionado, helped me develop a fascination with Nikola Tesla. However, I am only just now taking note of aesthetics, rather than focusing solely on literature and science.

That said, I've no photos to share that involve anything even remotely steamy, so here is an impromptu portrait of me in a mask, on my way to the Labyrinth of Jareth ball:

Edit: Apologies for the size of the photo-- it needed to be large to properly contain all of my hair.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 06:54:42 am by beschattet » Logged
The Good Doctor Lyzerg
« Reply #456 on: January 18, 2008, 09:20:11 pm »

Greetings!

I can't exactly say I'm new to steampunk, seeing as how I grew up with a dad who could easily be considered steampunk. I've been lurking this forum for about a year and I've finally got the nerve to join and post. I'm not all together sure how I found this lovely website but I'm very glad that I did.

The Victorian Era has always interested me, especially the literature and culture.  My dad would read H.G. Wells to me as a child, and I think thats were my fascination with steampunk started. It just spread from there.

I hope to one day captain my own airship and lead expeditions into the unknown.  Smiley

The Good Doctor Lyzerg
elvendredi
« Reply #457 on: January 18, 2008, 10:56:38 pm »

Hulloo to all!

I am mere weeks away from finishing my MA thesis, and looking forward to all the reading, sewing, and other creative endeavours that I will have time for! I hope that this forum will give me plenty of ideas.

In another life, I'm a Pilates instructor, and I spend a fair bit of time hanging upside down and strapped into various contraptions that, if not exactly steamy, are fairly industrial-looking and great fun. I enjoy hot-air ballooning a couple of times a year, I occasionally dance, I cook and bake a lot, and I especially enjoy making themed foodstuffs (usually Buffy-themed, at the moment, but others too). I have a modest BPAL collection. I'm secretly plotting a move to London within the year.

I think that gives a general idea of me...
Ben Hudson, Esq.
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

New avatar, same person.

« Reply #458 on: January 18, 2008, 11:15:46 pm »

I hope to one day captain my own airship and lead expeditions into the unknown.  Smiley

An admiral ambition in an age where your average chav aspires to winning Big Brother. Good to see you, and everyone else, come into the light Smiley

Quod me non necat me confirmat

Cappuccino?! I'll give you a cappuccino!

Fellow of the Retrofuturist Society
The Good Doctor Lyzerg
« Reply #459 on: January 20, 2008, 02:15:24 am »

An admiral ambition in an age where your average chav aspires to winning Big Brother. Good to see you, and everyone else, come into the light Smiley

Why, thank you. I've never quite understood why anyone would want to make an ass of themselves on national television just to have the chance to win £100,000.
Lagartija
« Reply #460 on: January 20, 2008, 01:21:08 pm »

Why, thank you. I've never quite understood why anyone would want to make an ass of themselves on national television just to have the chance to win £100,000.

Seems people are the same everywhere... Welcome to you!
Dr Jykell Mr Hyde
« Reply #461 on: January 20, 2008, 06:49:12 pm »

Hello Hello there all! This is my first time here in and on this site i am new to the name Steampunk but not the concept really i guess. I have always had a interest in this type of style but never did anything about it until today. I Live in Sweden but was born in the USA and not to long ago moved to Europe. I was wondering where is a place to look for and get started with some simple projects? I really want to learn the ins -outs of this and need some direction please thanks all and chat with u all soon ....sign...

Sir Henry Hyde ;-)
The Good Doctor Lyzerg
« Reply #462 on: January 20, 2008, 07:46:31 pm »

Seems people are the same everywhere... Welcome to you!

Indeed, they are. Thank you.
Glass
Snr. Officer

Creature of the night: 1700-0300.

« Reply #463 on: January 21, 2008, 07:02:41 pm »

Greetings all, I hope this post finds you well.

My name is Patrick but I chose the handle “Glass” because it is the one I’ve used in other communities I frequent. I’m 29, married to a goddess who is supportive of whatever my latest passion is, and have three young children. I live in Oregon, western United States, the Earth.

I wanted to be an inventor when I grew up but settled on another career, however, I still tinker with whatever I can get my hands on.

I grew up helping my dad build things in his shop or watching old movies with my mom. I still watch 20,000 Leagues, Journey to the Center of the Earth, etc. when they come on the cathode ray box. I only recently discovered there was a name for my interests in early 1900’s technologies: Steampunk.

At about age 14 my dad helped build a working steam engine out of steel and brass that I entered in a youth metalworking contest. I lost to a kid who made a spray painted teacart and a few of the judges questioned whether a miniature machine of polished brass was art. I wanted to throttle them.

I have a myriad of other interests, many of which are decidedly not Steampunk, and I’m a collector of useless facts and extraneous knowledge.

Good day,
Patrick

Futhermore...
Ben Hudson, Esq.
Snr. Officer

New avatar, same person.

« Reply #464 on: January 21, 2008, 07:14:15 pm »

At about age 14 my dad helped build a working steam engine out of steel and brass that I entered in a youth metalworking contest. I lost to a kid who made a spray painted teacart and a few of the judges questioned whether a miniature machine of polished brass was art. I wanted to throttle them.

A grave injustice indeed. Welcome Smiley
MrDibble
Officer
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #465 on: January 21, 2008, 07:55:31 pm »

I've already posted in MEtaphysical, but was directed here as well:

Hello, all, I'm MrDibble - I reside in the Cape Colony, under the watchful eye of Mons Mensa. I like tinkering, and am working with a friend on a raygun gothic/airship LARP that will use lots of brassy, glowy props.

I'm married, one daughter, run my own aetherweb concern and am studying to be a geographer/analytical engineer (GIS). I paint, and do/have done leatherwork, pewter casting and armouring for a well-known Medievalist group (no, not the Pre-Raphaelites, the other, 3-letter one).
Paul 8v
Officer

« Reply #466 on: January 22, 2008, 08:14:27 pm »

Hey, thought i'd better introduce myself since i've actually found the thread and have been posting on here a while! I live in Maldon in Essex in the UK and I've always liked steampunk ever since I first saw it but I never knew there was a term for it untill recently!
Just trying to put some clothes and gadgets together and I'll hopefully be attending the London meet.
Luella Dobson
Snr. Officer

The Chicago Steampixie

misshistory
« Reply #467 on: January 24, 2008, 08:31:43 am »

alriiight, I was looking for an intro thread or forum or something...

My username is the character for the Jazzpunk concept I'm mapping out. I usually use Lady Adokenai on the rest of the internet.

Um, I'm sort of new-ish to steampunk. I've known about it for a while, but when I first learned of it I was mostly interested in Lolita fashion. I still love lolita, but I feel like I'm too old (18) to wear sweet lolita anymore. I felt myself moving away from it, and I found myself again in steampunk.
I love historic costume, and I love the 1910s-1920s the best. Because of this, I've come up with something called "Jazzpunk." I'm still mapping it out, but it's pretty much how the 20s would have been with the steampunker's grandchildren. Cheesy it's pretty cool. If it takes off, I hope that the two genres will be able to coexist in peace! XD

I moved to Chicago, IL for art school (would you like fries with that?), which sort of inspired Jazzpunk come to think of it. I love Chicago. love it. :DDD

I'm not much for inventing, but I love seeing the stuff people come up with, but maybe once I get over being afraid of messing things up, maybe I'll start tinkering. Cheesy

anyway. Let's have an awesome time!

I'm a Jazzpunk.

General for the Study and Ultimate Disregard for the Laws of Universe through Strange and Ultimately Unfathomable Means
Wise
Gunner
Canada Canada

"Time Traveler"

« Reply #468 on: January 24, 2008, 03:41:59 pm »

Hey SteamPunk fans!

(Arthur) Wise is my adopted Internet name, and Matt is my given one, I was born and raised in (northern) Ontario Canada, since I can remember I have had a fascination with various forums of steampunk, in love with the Victorian era, and even more passionate for the late 1800’s  and early 1900’s not to mention imperial moustache’s, My attire arose from my interest in style from those eras,  ( top hats, vests, goggles ) and pocket watches! Although aside from what little tinkering I have done, I have yet to build any great steampunk inventions (yet) I am a mining engineering Technologist, who’s interests and hobbies outside steampunk include: body modification, NES, Vinyl and MTG!

As for steampunk, I see myself as more of “The Time Traveler” I am working on writing a whole description right now for the SteamPunk Class Time Traveler, but in short its like a (more) SteamPunk version of Nikola Tesla. Stay tuned!

Cheers! 

"The spread of civilisation may be likened to a fire; First, a feeble spark, next a flickering flame, then a mighty blaze, ever increasing in speed and power.” ~Nikola Tesla

<a href="http://iam.bmezine.com/?Wise">IAM: Wise</a>
Benjamin Von Rosenröt
« Reply #469 on: January 24, 2008, 10:14:49 pm »

Greetings,

You may have seen me post around here a couple times, however, I just noticed this thread. My name is Ben, Von Rosenröt, however, is not my real last name.  Tongue

I'm a music nut, liking everything from rap, to blues to viking metal. Really, the only genre I pretty much don't like as a whole is country, and even there I find a few songs that aren't bad. I'm also a movie buff, at 18, my DVD collection is sitting somewhere around 140, with TV show seasons counted as 1 DVD. It's pretty impressive to me.

Anyways, I'm just on break at work and must get back, I may update this when I get home.
Chaplain
« Reply #470 on: January 27, 2008, 08:33:12 am »

I am Chaplain, otherwise known as the Chaplain of Madness, and other-otherwise known simply as Eric. I really dig steampunk in all its media, mediums, whatever - so decided to join this forum in the hopes that it provides me the pleasure of seeing such. I do draw, and I have a question; may I post my artwork? And if so, how?  Huh
Ben Hudson, Esq.
Snr. Officer

New avatar, same person.

« Reply #471 on: January 27, 2008, 08:32:40 pm »

You may indeed. There is a 2D Art Thread in Tactile if it would fit in there Smiley
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher

« Reply #472 on: January 27, 2008, 09:53:46 pm »

It occurs to me after so many posts I might as well make my mark 'round here...

My screen name is actually a warped version of my real name, Cody Shawn Patrick [Insert Surname]. My grandfathers name was brian, and I was originally going to put o'Brian but when I said it out loud, I sort of like the sound of O'Byrne. As if any of that mattered.  Tongue

I was born and raised in Banff, Alberta, Canada, way up in the Rockies. I've had various hints of eccentricity throughout my life in the forms of dress and other things, and the Steampunk thing comes quite naturally to me. Ah... Any questions?

¬Not Quite O'Byrne

Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com
Atticus
Gunner

Steampunk Anti-Hero

« Reply #473 on: January 28, 2008, 11:13:45 am »

Hello, I'm Atticus Hart (my pseudonym) from Brighton, England.  I've been interested in steam-powered technology and the concept of post-apocolyptic worlds, but I only discovered the term 'steampunk' a few months back and I've been exploring it since.  I'm not one who's good at craftwork, so I don't think I'm able to make those amazing steampunk accesories I see about the place often.  My calibre is literature. I enjoy writing, I always have, and I hope to take it somewhere one day if I'm lucky.
I'm going to stop writing this now because I'm terrible at introductions and it's best I end this now.

"Whoops! Forgot my goggles!"
Your Grim Reaper Has Arrived
Ben Hudson, Esq.
Snr. Officer

New avatar, same person.

« Reply #474 on: January 28, 2008, 05:38:32 pm »

Ah, Mr Hart, you live in the town of my birth, and share my passion for literature Smiley Welcome to the forum.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 149   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: