The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 18, 2019, 07:30:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 149   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 284138 times)
The Kilted Commodore
Snr. Officer
United States United States

He's reckless as a juggernaut, and Mad to boot.

« Reply #400 on: December 30, 2007, 07:02:38 am »

Well Mr. Blackbrandt, as one 19 year old college steampunker to another, I bid you Welcome!

The Robot Uprising, Electronic music radio show, 10-midnight EST monday nights on www.scadradio.org
Dr. Benedict W. Bligh
Snr. Officer

« Reply #401 on: December 30, 2007, 07:43:36 am »

Greetings,

Dr. Benedict W. Bligh at your service!

Freshly registered to these wonderful forums, however I have been lurking for some months. I have always been attracted to the earlier aesthetics of the Victorian era as well as the time periods directly before and after it, as well as the ideas of quality and craftsmanship of items that we rarely see today. As a child, I grew up watching such things as Sherlock Hound and The Great Mouse Detective, which no doubt contributed to my aesthetic likes.

While I am very interested in science, engineering, and all around tinkering, I sadly lack the skills, and have not yet taken the time to learn them. Hopefully, after delving into the Tactile section and with a little motivation I can finally remedy the situation and add some interesting things to the community.

Currently, I am twenty-one years old and two months unemployed, formerly working as a construction labourer. I am also planning to attend a local community college in a part time capacity in the spring semester, majoring in Liberal Studies as part of a guaranteed (Hopefully true) transfer program. It is my goal to transfer to a University to achieve a degree or two in something I have yet to decide. As of now, I believe that to be Psychology and English, however I have so many interests, which include science and engineering, that I often change my mind.

In any case, I feel as though I may start rambling if I continue this already long introduction. So that's me then.  Smiley

Sincerely,

Dr. Benedict W. Bligh

"Defeat with honour is but victory delayed." – Dr. Victor von Doom
Churchwarden
Officer

Right then, shall we?

« Reply #402 on: January 01, 2008, 02:27:46 am »

Absent minded as usual, I once again take for granted that we don't all know one another.

My friends call me Church, so I encourage you all to do the same. I am quite happy to have found this little nook in the aether. I hope to bring into the community as much as I take with me. Thank you my esteamed comrades Wink

The Churchwarden
Lady Merovingian
« Reply #403 on: January 01, 2008, 09:29:36 am »

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I'm a 23-year old lass from Argentina. I've been into Steampunk for a while, watching and reading all I could. Not until a few days ago I've decided to start making my own props and accessories from scratch, which might be a really difficult task, as I don't know how to do anything with my hands, and I don't have any tools. Even though I'm more of a theory-oriented person (I study Literature at college), I'll put an effort to learn some basics from now on.

I've always been fascinated with NeoVictorian styles, like Gothic Victorian and Lolita fashions. What i like about Steampunk is the DIY attitude: it can force me to learn something new, and skills that might be useful for daily life. As I live alone, it won't hurt to know how to use a couple of tools. =)

Some friends call me Mero, short for Merovingian, a nickname I've been using in forums for years. That's where the nickname comes.

Greetings to you all!

Lady Merovingian
Micele von Remes
« Reply #404 on: January 02, 2008, 01:04:26 pm »

Hello all

I thought I might introduce myself since I've been lurking here for a while.

I'm 26 years old industrial designer/design engineer from Finland. I don't quite know when I was first introduced to steampunk. It might have been the 2000ad comic Nemesis the Warlock that gave the initial boost in the early 90's. For as long as I can remember I have been very keen on Victorian aesthetics. I also grew up with tv-shows like Hercule Poirot and Sherlock Holmes (by Jeremy Brett).

My main intrests lie couple hundred years further back though. When ever I can get my hands on hammers and steel I make swords, knives and all things medieval. After I found this site I have rediscovered my interest in prop making (which has been on hold since my LRP-days =) ).

That's about it.

Cheers.

-mr
Cassandra
Gunner

« Reply #405 on: January 02, 2008, 08:04:30 pm »

'Hoy there! The name's Cassandra (my boring old real name) and I am a bookworm, artist, amateur historian, and sometimes explorer. I am eighteen years old and, alas, still in my senior year of high school, but next fall I'll be attending Hanover College in Indiana where I will double major in history and anthropology. I write and draw and love the outdoors, and hope to be a sword collector one day for I love all bladed objects. I don't hold with all that ray gun nonsense. I love animals off all kinds and am one of those thrice-hated vegetarians. Personality-wise, I'm what would happen if you mixed Luna Lovegood, Phoebe Buffay, and Jane Eyre. See if you can figure that one out.

I've been lurking around here for a while now learning about Steampunk, when I realized that lurking is creepy, so I decided to fully join. I had been a fan of the genre for years without knowing there was a name for it, but was drawn to the subculture because of the ideals behind it and the sense of aesthetics. It's so personalized and DIY. I'm glad so see that others loathe molded plastic as much as I. I've neither seen a group of people so willing to put the time and effort into building and sewing for that aesthetic nor read forum postings that were so polite and well-written. I'm used to rampant trolling.

Not to mention, the clothing is gorgeous and the mechanisms are awe-inspiring. That and I am a little obsessed with dirigibles and air pirates and my room is covered in candlewax and empty teacups. Ah, well. To be strange is a sorely underrated state of being.
Lagartija
« Reply #406 on: January 04, 2008, 04:03:46 pm »

Hello there, I am Lagartija, I'm 20 and I have been reading posts here for some time; I'd like to take part to this forum which deals about such a thrilling subject. However I may not post that often since i'm a little busy and I'm not an expert in steampunk.

I heard about steampunk not so long ago, as I was doing some search on the internet. Actually I've been into 19th century stuff (literature, fashion, societies, etc.) for some years, and I've been amazed to find out there actually exists a whole movement concerning this interest. I've been "flirting" with goth and EGA movements before, but the discussions were almost always about clothes and silly debates about "real" and "fake", and though it can be fun, I generally expect more than that. But steampunk is, at least where i live, only present on  the internet, maybe that's why it took me so much time to learn about it.

I'm sort of new to that, maybe I'll not end "steampunkish" at all, but I'd like to learn more about all this, maybe to try some crafts etc. And of course, have fun!

Apart from that, i usually like reading books, though I really don't have so much time this year. I also enjoy drawing, listening to music, occasionnaly playing the piano and horse-riding; but you could say my favourite hobby these days is lurking on the internet. Wink

Finally, I apologize for my awkward use of English, I try to do my best, but I can't tell if what I'm writing is actually odd or not to an English-speaking person, as it is not my mother tongue _most of members seem to express themselves so well on top of that. I hope this won't confuse you too much.
michaelbeeman
Zeppelin Captain

Covered in bees!

« Reply #407 on: January 04, 2008, 05:35:11 pm »

A warm and hearty welcome, one and all!
Oh, and Lagartija, your use of English is quite good, better than mine most days. Wink

"If you can't laugh at yourself, you must not be very funny."
Dauntless
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #408 on: January 04, 2008, 06:46:03 pm »

Evening all,
I'm actually called Andrew, Ive studied Physics and am currently attempting a masters in astronautics (I shall have my vertical empire...).
Always been excited by anything that moves or whatever under its own ....steam!
So when I found this forum I thought 'how interesting'!

Oh, also a bit of an horologist thanks to my grandfather.
Voodooschaaf
« Reply #409 on: January 04, 2008, 07:39:21 pm »

Hi to u all, I would like to intoduce me here.
I am livin in germany, actually I am 39 years old and even I may look a little wiccan, I am not.
My interests are Millipedes, science and art.
Beware, here I come:

(Me with my animals livin here).

(When my first jackdaw was 3 weeks old).

(Playin with him).

(cumin back from the woods with lots of mushrooms).

(sittin in the front door of our house).

(Fleamarket, no fake hair, purple as it is since I am 16).

this is the outfit I normally wear, I dont give a damn what the people are thinkin bout, smile.
More steampunkish pictures are on the run to come.
I u have questions, fell free to ask.

Greez,
Shura and the whole bunch

Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #410 on: January 05, 2008, 03:09:09 am »

Dear Voodooschaaf,

Your jackdaws are lovely, they sound like fun and intelligent animals, from what I have read about birds in the Corvid family.

Vienna
Lady Lavinea Dreadful
Zeppelin Admiral

Ragamuffin and cad

« Reply #411 on: January 05, 2008, 08:05:09 am »

I suppose it would be polite of me to introduce my self. My name is Elizabeth, though no one i like calls me that. I have been going by Ms Boo Dreadful for years now. So Boo shall do nicely. I am 26 and have spend the majority of my life in the Ozark Mountains, though i have moved 125 times in my life span. I currently live in a small cottage type house in a tiny place called Oronogo....apparently that is a native American term meaning "boat" *shrug*

I have just recently taken the time to look further into Steampunk. I have considered my subcultural affiliation to be "Goth" for the last decade or so. Though due to growing up rather poor, i have always had an interesting in older times older items, vintage living, shall we say.  Growing up in the Ozarks, times gone by, are often right at hand. So i have decorated my home in mostly authentic vintage items for years and have always had a deep and abiding love for the aesthetics of other eras. I remember my dad setting and listening to old telecasts of The Shadow and The Phantom with me as a kid and even now they mesmerize me.

Oh dear, this has become a bit lengthy, for the sake of your sanity(i can be quite dull) i think i shall break this off now and just list a few oddments and facts about my self.:

I am dyslexic, so please forgive my obvious errors.
I love to make things, all sorts of things, jewelry,modified clothing,i draw,paint,and some times sculpt.
I am married with five cats(yeah i know thats a lot of cats)
i Love tea, and tea customs. I had planned to open a tea room at one time in my life.
I currently have no profession... though some day i hope to become a skin driller(IE tattooist)
I love to write, and my most recent works include a Lovecraftian tale about Sir Francis Dashwood and the HellFire Club. As well as a work in progress consisting of a Zombie Western... yes odd i know....
i think that shall do for now. Lovely to meet you all!

Ella Kremper
Zeppelin Admiral

Retro-Tech Dystopiac

« Reply #412 on: January 06, 2008, 03:08:01 am »

Hello there, Ella Kremper here, aimlessly wandering into places with an awful deal of cogs and gears rolling about the place.

I've been lurking here for a bit but finally plucked up the courage to join - my steam history comes from reading tales of H G Wells, Jules Verne and Gormenghast throughout my school days and looking out for steam references in my film interests and also admiring the engineering aesthetics too (the steampunk laptop is a definite dream, though it'd be heavy for me to carry...). I love classic Gothic/Victorian fiction (Frankenstein to Sherlock Holmes, Dickens and Wilde too). I'm a bit of a writer in my spare time and I love slipping in steampunk/gaslight references when I can - it's much more fun for me when I'm completely drained of the will to write.

My name is a slight reference to two characters from Peter Cushing's Hammer Frankenstein series. Although this is not considered steampunk, the life-machine get-up in The Curse of Frankenstein is pretty inventive, and Cushing's Frankenstein does the 'mad scientist' job for me.

When I'm not dreaming of owning my very own pair of goggles in a clockwork utopia, I'm a student scientist working in Biomedical Sciences. Not sure if I fit the 'mad scientist' aspect but I have had my fair share of rat testicle fat and pumping bubbles through what looked like some sort of archaic transfusion gizmo. I hope to move from the mad scientist to my original goal of being a mad doctor of medicine, and therefore move from rat testicles to... well, I suppose the link is tenuous but logical at most!

Let's get a Bentley Speed Six and drive it through the middle of the forest.
Heartsblood
« Reply #413 on: January 06, 2008, 07:28:44 am »

hey im new and just wanted to say hi, im glad I found this website, I never really new what steampunk was, ive always been into it but didnt know it was called steampunk.. if that makes any sense lol. anyway my name is Shyla I live in Alaska im 18... love Rock, and reading pretty much any fantasy, some of my fave authors are Edgar Allan Poe, Anne Rice and Chris Wooding..(I loved The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray..) well anyway im just babbling now so ill ttyl...
ragingdevi
« Reply #414 on: January 06, 2008, 07:54:37 am »

Introductions abound!

Evening all, I am Victoria, but most people call me Tory as... well, we're probably all quite lazy. =)
My username is not raging devil sans l, it is Raging Devi; Devi being a Hindu goddess, and I think you know what rage is.
I don't think I could exactly be called Steampunk, but I can't exactly be called anything else.

But I figured I would join this forum anyway as I am an artist, love creating, and even though one may not see by looking, I do love the Steampunk genre.

I am from a town in Staten Island New York that is both extremely new (disgusting townhouses) and extremely old (Washington and Franklin have both convened in a certain house near mine). My house was built in the 1880, but the ones up the block are about 7 years old (and ugly).
I'm 19, I was born on Leap Day, and I have an actual Birthday coming up this year (you can not know my level of excitement). I've been reading since the summer before Kindergarten, and started my artistic career that winter.

I love Steampunk garb, but a tshirt and jeans are so much more comfortable to me (although, if I could somehow blend the two, I would be extremely happy, something like a modern tank girl Steampunk).

I love creating. Anything I feel like making, nothing specific. I just love to create things.

So I know that, since I may not be as Steampunk as thou, I may have differing intrests.

But I do hope to make some friends.
=D
Lagartija
« Reply #415 on: January 06, 2008, 07:59:06 pm »

Oh! Leap day! I've always wondered how you people celebrate your birthday; and... what about your majority? Were you legally considered as an "adult" on February the 28th, or on March the 1st?

Hehe... I tend to worry about details. A warm welcome to you, and to all new members! Wink
Thistle
« Reply #416 on: January 07, 2008, 04:59:57 am »

Hello!

My name is Maxine, but for forum purposes I'll use "Thistle" -- I saw that the name Maxine was already claimed and I'd rather not make her doubly Mad! I'm a nineteen-year-old college student, attending an isolated little university in rural Kentucky. (It's a one horse, one Wal-Mart, one flea market sort of town.) I'm studying art and am most passionate about Illustration; I love all varieties of it, from medical illustration to children's book illustration.

As for how I discovered Steampunk, I couldn't really pinpoint it; I imagine it was somewhere between reading "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", Victorian fiction, and getting involved in fashion. My intense love for Victorian facial hair also probably factored in there somewhere.

In my free time, I enjoy sewing, reading, grafitti, and writing introductions that sound like sketch personal ads.
Mr. X
Snr. Officer

« Reply #417 on: January 07, 2008, 05:41:37 am »

My embarrassment abounds, truly. I have been a member of this forum for quite some time now, and I have not made a proper introduction yet.

Well, I will not rectify this! Indeed.

My name is Nicholas Roach. I am a student primarily, a musician secondly, and a bagel shop worker thirdly. I had known about steampunk for quite some time before discovering this board, however I had not really known how big it really was, I had only been aware of it being a genre of science fiction. I believe my introduction to it as a subculture was through stumbling up the good Mr. Jake Von Slatt's website.

I have been building up my persona, and my outfits, and hope that I may be able to get to know some of you fine punk's a bit better as well.

Mr. X
ragingdevi
« Reply #418 on: January 07, 2008, 05:54:17 am »

Oh! Leap day! I've always wondered how you people celebrate your birthday; and... what about your majority? Were you legally considered as an "adult" on February the 28th, or on March the 1st?

When there is one we (my family and I) celebrate on the day, but when there isn't; we used to celebrate on the 28th, but I want to start celebrating on the 28th and 1st of March BECAUSE: 28 plus 1 equals 29
XD

I guess I was legally an adult on the 28th? I really don't know. Although, if it were March 1st, I would have already had a birthday, so... I guess? I'm in limbo in the years without the 29th.
Proctor Abelcroft
« Reply #419 on: January 07, 2008, 11:32:40 pm »

Greetings to all,

If I may, just a brief moment to introduce myself to the board and all respective members,
I am Proctor Abelcroft: instructor, occasional adventurer, haphazard tinkerer, and general nuisance.

I have found my way to this board through happenstance, nothing more than serendipity...however, I have found a gathering of minds that reflect many of my own passions, albeit with considerably more talent than I currently possess.

Presently, I find myself situated on the southern end of the west coast of the USA...Southern California...a town called Huntington Beach, to be more precise - a delightful place.

I have always enjoyed a mindset leaning towards the anachronistic or fantastical, and have found myself a member of a few forums geared towards halloween prop making, or special effects / prop design - steampunk, however, is a name for something that has always been a part of my interest, but was never quite within the scope of what I found. Mad Scientist, perhaps, was as close as I could find.

I hope to be able to bring some genuine quality to this board, be it with sound information, or irrational jocularity, or perhaps something wavering between the two.

Very truly yours,
Proctor Abelcroft
Horse Brass
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #420 on: January 08, 2008, 01:18:43 pm »

It would, I expect, be polite of me to introduce myself, in case I ever feel compelled to post again.

I am generally known by the name Stephen, but I have always chosen equine themed names as they remind me of a happy period in my life. These days, I am a father of two, and a 40 year old console games developer. That means people now roll their eyes and say that I've always been like that, instead of telling me to grow up and get a real job.

Steampunk appeals to me for some reason. It seems that the more my life takes me into futuristic technologies, the more interested I get in the past. Making things is important to me, even if they are only small things, they push back the entropy and indifference in the world around me. I've learned a lot already from reading how people here make and modify their things.

"Not without my hat." - Scott Anger, The Dame was Loaded
Improbcat
Officer

« Reply #421 on: January 08, 2008, 07:28:25 pm »

I am Pixel, and use that name everywhere possible. I love steampunk, cyberpunk, etc. My perfect setup would be an eclectic mix of eras & styles to suit my varying moods.

I build various steampunk creations out of legos, and had dabbled in a few other projects, though few of them have come to conclusion.

I'm hopping to get new ideas, inspiration, etc. here, along with hopefully the incentive to actually get my ideas out of my head and into physical form.

Get your Mad On!
Mad Scientists Union
Ben Hudson, Esq.
Snr. Officer

New avatar, same person.

« Reply #422 on: January 08, 2008, 08:41:43 pm »

Oh my, those Lego creations are nothing short of fantastic! Many warm welcomes, and I wish you a very happy stay.

Nrggh... I feel an urge to make some sort of SP display piece...

Quod me non necat me confirmat

Cappuccino?! I'll give you a cappuccino!

Fellow of the Retrofuturist Society
britishink
Gunner

Maker of Memories and Regrets

« Reply #423 on: January 09, 2008, 12:34:13 am »

Ello, ello...Britishink is the name and I tattoo...I own Britishink Tattoos in Washington DC http://www.britishinkdc.com

I am actually British and have lived in the USA for 16 years, I like to build stuff  such as tattooing devices and my nifty new brass goggles.

Please feel free to contact me with any inquiries.

At your service...

Jonothan Brom
« Reply #424 on: January 09, 2008, 04:49:45 am »

Hello everyone,

I've stumbled across this lovely community of people though means i can't seem to remember, I think I was up far to late one night and in some sort of fugue state.  But thankfully I bookmarked it and now come here every day to see everyones brilliant creations and wonderful thoughts.  Not sure if I'm fully Steampunk or just a bit NeoVictorian but since there hasn't been a day in 2 months that I've not spent most of my time online here idly viewing the various topics I thought I might as well join up and let you all know I'm here.

A hearty hello to each and every one of you.

Jonothan Brom
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 149   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: