The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 20, 2019, 11:35:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 149   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 290533 times)
Sir Eugene Ainsworth
« Reply #375 on: December 18, 2007, 04:12:52 pm »

Greetings and Salutations

My name is Charles, I live in Graham North Carolina, and I am 31.I have been a fan of the writings of H.G.Wells and Jules Verne for most of my life, as well as fascinated by clockwork creations and steam powered inventions, and airships. Until recently I had no real idea that a subculture of like minded individuals existed out there for me to chat with and exchange ideas. I stumbled upon brassgoggles accidentally today and have been reading through its archive. I look forward to chatting with everyone here.
villaintagonist
« Reply #376 on: December 18, 2007, 04:23:07 pm »

Welcome Sir Ainsworth!

It's nice to make the acquaintance of a fellow North Carolinian. I myself am located in Durham.
The Kilted Commodore
Snr. Officer
United States United States

He's reckless as a juggernaut, and Mad to boot.

« Reply #377 on: December 18, 2007, 11:16:46 pm »

@Enli - WSYX Savannah, SCAD Radio. No frequency, because we're online, but I like it that way, as I've heard people put in requests via the aetherweb from the UK.  We play a lot of indie stuff, and the general rule is "if Its been on commercial radio stations, we dont play it".  I only run a regular rotation shift right now, but it usually has an electronic/dance/RPM bias... Unless I feel like Sigur Ros.  In which case its Mellow ethereal Indie day. Cheesy

The Robot Uprising, Electronic music radio show, 10-midnight EST monday nights on www.scadradio.org
Enli
Officer

Enli

« Reply #378 on: December 19, 2007, 01:12:23 am »

@Enli - WSYX Savannah, SCAD Radio. No frequency, because we're online, but I like it that way, as I've heard people put in requests via the aetherweb from the UK.  We play a lot of indie stuff, and the general rule is "if Its been on commercial radio stations, we dont play it".  I only run a regular rotation shift right now, but it usually has an electronic/dance/RPM bias... Unless I feel like Sigur Ros.  In which case its Mellow ethereal Indie day. Cheesy

Awesome, we have a no-mainstream-music policy too. Smiley It sucks when that means I have to stop playing Feist and LCD Soundsystem, of course, but it makes the station special. Our radius is relatively small so we have an online stream as well. I tend to play mellow indie rock/folk stuff.. Elliott Smith, Cloud Cult, Beirut, etc.

STEAMPUNK: THE NEW CULT OF DRUGS DEBAUCHARY AND DEATH
The Kilted Commodore
Snr. Officer

He's reckless as a juggernaut, and Mad to boot.

« Reply #379 on: December 19, 2007, 04:29:19 am »

Nice! I tend to favor Of Montreal, Sigur Ros, Simian Mobile Disco, The Presets, and Calvin Harris, as of this last quarter. I always look forward to seeing what we have that's new after break.
Enli
Officer

Enli

« Reply #380 on: December 19, 2007, 09:46:44 am »

Of Montreal is awesome! I look forward to the new stuff after the break, too.. as the holidays approach the weekly load of album mail gets smaller and smaller and, qualitywise, worse and worse.  Tongue
Wenzdai
« Reply #381 on: December 19, 2007, 10:06:12 am »

Ello!,

Names Wenzdai, 21. Northern California.

Slave to a company that capitalizes punk rock to the undeserving masses by force, Photographer by choice, DJ at KSCU by luck.

I fell in love with steampunk a long time ago when i was a younger, never knowing there was more like-minded folk out there until very recently.

and so here I am now.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 11:04:01 am by Wenzdai » Logged
Tiny5th
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Captain of the H.M.S. Venerable

« Reply #382 on: December 20, 2007, 09:53:58 pm »

Hello

My names Ben, I'm 19, and I'm from the UK near Oxford.
I've been gradually getting into steampunk for a few years now but didn't actually know what it was called until a short while ago.

i stumbled across brass goggles when i googled steampunk, and it was one of the first matches that came up, i haven't got up the courage to join the forums and post until now, as it seemed a bit daunting, as i don't know alot about the in depth yet.

Since the instant i left school i went straight into an engineering college and began studying that, as finding out how things work and all things mechanical are my passion, but unfortunately ended up in electronics (whats that? i hear you cry! our computers are steam and clockwork!) as its where it seems to be going these days.

i am a survivor of the all too common goth syndrome these days, but i suppose i was probably seen as wierd to them too because i always carried a pocket watch with me.

hopefully i can change that now though, working on adding a bit of colour to my wardrobe ^_Q

I'm currently tinkering around with my own ideas for things and do alot of art and crafts so will likely be found mostly around the tactile forum.

Inventing is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.
michaelbeeman
Zeppelin Captain

Covered in bees!

« Reply #383 on: December 21, 2007, 12:23:33 am »

Welcome Tiny5th! Always good to have another tinkerer around.

"If you can't laugh at yourself, you must not be very funny."
Dangerous Diver
Gunner

Benthic Explorer Extraordinaire

« Reply #384 on: December 22, 2007, 05:08:20 am »

Hello all,

I was recently introduced to steampunk a few days ago and I must say that I find it quite interesting. I'm also an engineering student studying electrical engineering at Georgia Tech. I love to take things apart and tinker with their insides. I've always loved good fiction, so I guess I've just learned to mix the two.
I look forward to chatting with everyone.
V/R
Dangerous Diver

Go Jackets!!
villaintagonist
« Reply #385 on: December 22, 2007, 07:29:08 am »

Welcome dangerous diver! I believe you will find yourself quite at home here.

P.S. your username is splendid. I'm quite a fan of alliteration.
Dangerous Diver
Gunner

Benthic Explorer Extraordinaire

« Reply #386 on: December 24, 2007, 01:00:26 am »

Thank you very much, yours is quite clever as well.
Cerridwen
Gunner

Gogglemaker

« Reply #387 on: December 25, 2007, 02:03:37 am »

Hello there everyone.  Fairly recently discovered steampunk as the obsession I didn't know I had.  I've been making things for a while with a fantasy Victorian, Jules Verne industrialistic, turn of the century paleo futuristic feel to it, and was overjoyed that there was a shorter term to use.  I've been studying the Paris Exposition, the Expo at the Crystal Palace, etc since reading the Devil in the White City a little over a year ago.  Particularly, the whole concept of the interaction of people in the era and technology.  There's something about the innocence that folks faced the new innovations, the excitement that came out when you read exerts from journals and such.  It's such a change from the jaded modern era.  I also got very very caught up on the aspect of making the more simple of objects intricately ornate, just... because.  (Yes, Gilded Age and all that.)  I expressed this interest to a friend who responded "Steampunk in reverse?" Steam...punk?  Now I've been referred here by boleshevik simian, so I hope it all works out.
Anyway, I sew I craft, I make things.  I enjoy playing with form and texture.  I've done strict historical Victoriana, as well as several other eras to historical perfection, but I prefer the fantasy elements that allow full force of creativity.  And now that I have a new focus for that creative energy, I hope you all don't mind my picking your brains for ideas. 

Check out the fabulous steampunkery on my etsy:  http://www.waywarddreams.etsy.com
Mention you found me on brassgoggles for a ten percent discount.
Bolshevik Simian
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

Dapper Cats

« Reply #388 on: December 25, 2007, 02:14:52 am »

You are most welcome, I hope you enjoy your self here  Smiley

(She is a very amazing person, and hopefully soon to be the mother of my goggles)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 03:48:00 am by Bolshevik Simian » Logged

When I joined up we were still fighting colonial wars. If you saw someone in a skirt you shot him and nicked his country.

"Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing."

Get all your Goggle needs here New Goggles
Mercy
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #389 on: December 26, 2007, 04:07:10 am »

This is my official de-lurking post. I’m only been lurking since… oh, about July?  Tongue

I’m female, 20 years old, I live in the North West of England, and I have 4 cats and a horse.

I do a bit of digital art (mainly Photoshop) and spend too much time on the internet. I’m currently learning to sew because I have such a hard time finding clothes I like on the high street. Somewhere along the way that turned into a obsession with Victorian costuming.

I originally came across the term “steampunk” when I was doing research for NaNoWriMo ‘05. I think I was intending to write about Victorian body snatchers, corpses being re-animated, steam-powered-golem-robot-thingies and pathology involving too many spinning clockwork gadgets and weird brass rimmed lenses.

The NaNoWriMo died at about 53,000 words without an ending nor any discernable character development… I suspect it was all really an excuse to have a big battle between the above mentioned Zombies and Robots in a Victorian setting.

But I kept coming back to steam punk because, well, anything that combines Victoriana with Zeppelins and Mohawks? That’s gotta be cool.
michaelbeeman
Zeppelin Captain

Covered in bees!

« Reply #390 on: December 26, 2007, 08:28:14 pm »

.... because, well, anything that combines Victoriana with Zeppelins and Mohawks? That’s gotta be cool.

It is cool, indeed! Welcome Mercy! I've really only been around the forum for a few months myself, and found everyone to be very warm, intelligent, and quite welcoming.
Brisby
Deck Hand

« Reply #391 on: December 26, 2007, 08:48:32 pm »

Geetings to all,

I am a 50 year old male, retired military NCO and brand new grandfather (gad, I feel old!).  Do some fiction writing as a hobby as well as being pretty good at photoshop combining modern photos with old and giving it the 1880s-1940s look.  I always enjoyed steampunk before it was steampunk.  The Wild, Wild West on tv, playing Space 1889 back in the 80's and thoroughly loving anything written or filmed, about the British colonial period. 

Enjoying the forum so far.  Learning a lot, quickly.

All the best!
William Straker
« Reply #392 on: December 26, 2007, 10:25:03 pm »

Hello,
        thought I might get the introduction done.
I'm male, 16, and from the UK. I probably ought to confess to a woeful ignorance of Steampunk, and that my presence on these forums, initially at least, will probably involve much lurking, observing, and gathering of knowledge.

As to why I think steampunk will appeal, I have always loved everything Victorian, especially the architecture, the cities and the more morally ambiguous practices conducted in the name of science. I also have a fondness for gadgetry, although I have never persued this.

From what I have seen so far, there is a lot of emphasis on the gizmos and buzzy whirry things, whereas I have to say my interests seem to be  slightly out of the "standard" steampunk areas.
J.S. Bryant
« Reply #393 on: December 27, 2007, 09:39:12 am »

Greetings All

Tidewater Jack Bryant here, 25 and from the fine state of Virginia.  At the age of 12 I spent my allowance on a box of miscellania from a widowed neighbor.  Contained therein were the things that would add shades to the colours of my dreams for years to come; including my first official antique electrical devices, a book of folklore and, probably most important for this board, my first goggles.
   I've had an interest in clockwork and automata (amoung many other things) for as long as I can remember.  Those interests coupled with an early appreciation of Joseph Conrad and his ilk have driven me to a life of mental vagrancy, wandering from idea to idea like a strange figure of speech.  I have done a little bit of everything trade-wise thus far including hawking housewares, short-range cargo delivery, a time in His ::ahem:: Misguided Majesty's Maritime Services, construction of many strange and wonderful aquatic conveyances, and the mongering of both Fish and Reptile.  I also 'Pulled a Hemmingway' for  while.  Which was Amusing at best and Educational at worst.
   Aside from the above, I also have an interest in the wonderful realms of Quackery, mostly leaning towards electrotherapy and the like.  I have a distinct passion for the Violet Ray and the smell of ozone in general. 
   Currently, I'm working on a spoken word album and planning on just going ahead and taking the leap to become an Electrical Engineer.  I seem to have been oblivious to the signs untill this juncture.

At anyrate, I deeply thank you for reading and I look forward to becoming at least more than a lurker of this most glorious community.

-Bryant
Algenon
« Reply #394 on: December 28, 2007, 08:53:03 pm »

I have to say, I absolutely love how so many people from vastly different walks of life find a home in the steampunk culture.  I greatly enjoy reading each introduction post.  Keep them coming!

-_Q
kaede_hikari
« Reply #395 on: December 29, 2007, 01:21:37 am »

Hello! *bows*

I'm a 20 years old female from that tiny little place that is the Canary Islands. While nothing muchs happens there is an important port for ladies and gentlemen in their adventures. Maybe I should get myself a job by the sea  Grin

I've been lurking for some weeks and got to introduce myself now. I think I spotted another spanish somewhere? I knew about steampunk about a year ago due to my (now not so big) interest with Gothic lolita. And then I was dancing around in excitement because I could put a name to what I liked!!

However, it seems that my searching skills were not so good at that moment that I didn't find that much. And got in contact with the genre again not so long ago and found the Brass goggles blog  Smiley

I'm a seamtress (well I've been just for 2 years) and I can't wait to get my hands on some cool fabrics and make myself some outfits! if College allows me to do so.

I'm also learning bass and go crazy everytime I see some steampunk-guitar. I'm currently spamming my friends and band-mates with steampunk and I think they can't disagree with me because I'll be in charge of costumes. In some years, when we're actually better at playing. Next, I'll conquer the world!

oops Did I just say that out loud?  Roll Eyes

Sorry for the length~~  see you around!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 01:25:29 am by kaede_hikari » Logged
michaelbeeman
Zeppelin Captain

Covered in bees!

« Reply #396 on: December 29, 2007, 04:07:38 am »

I have to say, I absolutely love how so many people from vastly different walks of life find a home in the steampunk culture.  I greatly enjoy reading each introduction post.  Keep them coming!

-_Q

Algenon, I could not agree more! Welcome to all of our newest forum mates!
Smilingotter
Deck Hand

« Reply #397 on: December 29, 2007, 11:53:43 pm »

Obligatory new member post:

Greetin's!  I'm Tom, live in middle Georgia, and have been enjoying the articles on the main site for a while.  I just realized the forum was here, so I'll be enjoying this part of the board as well.
Jemima Annabelle Clough
Rogue Ætherlord

When you're tired of tea, you're tired of life

« Reply #398 on: December 30, 2007, 12:30:19 am »

Welcome to all the new forumeers(*) Smiley

(* it sounded better in my head!)

Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire
Sir James von Blackbrandt
« Reply #399 on: December 30, 2007, 04:06:35 am »

Ahoy gents and gentlewomen! I am Sir. James von Blackbrandt....

...also know by Cody. Smiley

New member, and (somewhat) new to Steampunk and all of it's glory. I'm a 19 year old college student, and originally got into Steampunk, because of the fashion side of it. I cosplay with a few friends, and a cousin. I saw a Steampunk costume, and absolutely fell in love. I've recently gotten into the more technological side, and the attitude that goes along with Steampunk.

As I said, I'm in college, and I am majoring in biology. I'm into music, and I play the drums. I teach lessons to earn some cash at the moment, and love it.

I'll most likely lurk for a few weeks and try to learn as much as I can before I open my mouth and let something ignorant spew out. Smiley

Anything else you want to know, just ask, and you shall recieve(sp?).

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 149   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: