The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 13, 2020, 04:24:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 [147] 148 149   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 302933 times)
fluffixation
Gunner
United States United States

Peace. Love. Unity. Respect. <3

« Reply #3650 on: April 06, 2010, 08:39:14 pm »

Bonjour! I am known around the internet by the name of fluffixation, but in conversation you may call me Fluffy or Ashlynn. I have been interested in steampunk since... oh, I've lost track of the time. My interest truly began to develop after last year's Otakon, and I am now quite enthralled by this universe. I can hardly wait to begin exercising my creativity within the steampunk world, and I hope to learn much from my participation in these forums!
A little more about me: I hail from Baltimore, Maryland in the United States, and I am currently in my second semester at Goucher College. Writing is my passion, and my goal in life is to be a good mother, wife, and author. I am pretty much a giggling, hyperactive ball of nerdiness with a love for metal and sweets. I adore all sorts of the types of styles you see at anime conventions, especially cosplay, lolita, raver, and obviously steampunk. I like to create in pretty much any way I can, and my current goal is to bring one of my steampunk characters to life before Otakon. Also, I'm very friendly and extraordinarily affectionate, so don't be afraid to approach me with offers of friendship and hugs.
That's all, I suppose. Ta for now! Hope to see you around the forums! (And if you plan to attend Otakon, see you there!)

fluffixation: Bringing the PLUR to the Victorian era since 2010
LemmingMan
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3651 on: April 06, 2010, 10:36:44 pm »

Good day to you all. This contains copied text from my Geographica post since I've now found the aparant locale for the information.

If you wish to you may find me in and around Reading in the UK.

Whilst a broader fan of Science and Fiction in their glorious combination I look forward to presenting my infrequent opinions whenever they might be useful in a more rivets and airship concerned direction.

I'm an occasional costumer, fair prop and model builder (though frankly the creations here put me to shame a thousand fold) and moderate television viewer. I've come to steampunk through the mass media take up. Please don't judge me too early. I am a vast fan of Girl Genius (by enjoyment levels not girth) and recall the joy of reading 20,000 Leagues when younger.

After Listening to one of Peter's panels on steampunk a convention ago I asserted that I would look through this forum. And I have. After attending the recent Eastercon substitute in the UK, and enjoying the steampunk ball so much that I was encouraged to stand at the front of it (for science), I've finally resolved to join the ranks here in and make myself known.

Please allow for my grammar and spelling. I try but enthusiastic speed and accuracy can be troublesome bedfellows.

Lemming Man

Oh my, I do seem to have overdone the introduction. Once again my apologies if the information above is inappropriate.
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #3652 on: April 08, 2010, 08:49:08 am »

pish man nothing wrong with offering some information about yourself on a first meeting Smiley

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
Crunchyfrog
Gunner

« Reply #3653 on: April 08, 2010, 10:53:38 pm »

Having fallen in backwards through the side entrance I looked at my user name and realised I'm somewhat underdressed for the occasion. Begging your pardon for the faux pas.

Still, it is under this username that I began writing in earnest, only to be told that my fictional ramblings are of the Steampunk genre. Not knowing what Steampunk was, I googled and tripped over your doormat.

I feel like I have landed in Heaven.  

Greetings!
CF
Senior Engineer
Gunner
Australia Australia

We are the people our mothers warned us about!

« Reply #3654 on: April 11, 2010, 07:22:04 am »

Greetings and salutations from the glorious antipodeas. I have posted already, but thought I should introduce myself without further ado. Please don't take my moniker as any sign of me trying to be high brow, but I was at a loss of what forum name to use, (I didn't see the name generator on the way in), and it's a title I've carried in the steam industry for many years.

As you can see I hail from one of the southern colonies - Australia, Brisbane to be exact (half way up the east coast for the geographicaly challenged).

I have dabbled in steam related equipment from a young age, and followed a career in the steam industry, at one time being a Paddle Steamer Engineer. I now have an industrial water treatment business supplying treatment for boilers amoung other things. I stumbles upon the SP genre accidently about 10 months ago, and identifed with it immediately - there is a COG !  (although being trained as a fitter & turner, and Engineer hate that term, but who am I to throw a spanner in the works) Smiley  The outfits I have no problem with as my wifes makes a lot of her, and my clothes. But the SP accessories, I'm applying myself for those. My current project (s) are (a) A rather intricate weapon - backpack power source, and rifle like hand piece. This will not only entertain the eys, but actually do something - watch this space. My other project is to SP the cab of my everyday driver, a 1956 International 1 ton truck. I will post photographic plates on these dalliances into the engineering/sp world.

Apart from that, I thank you all for being so welcoming, and I look forward to corresponding with you in due course.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 10:01:23 pm by Senior Engineer » Logged

Just as we had overcome a bad situation, one of the crew said, 'it could be worse'. Then lo and behold it did get worse.
Faye
Swab

« Reply #3655 on: April 12, 2010, 09:28:49 pm »

Greetings, all. I am very happy to join such an active and interesting community; I hope I may speak to many of you in time, and having lurked ghost-like in these forums for a few days before joining, I have little doubt that the good people posting here will be friendly and inviting.

In way of introduction, my name is Faye Stephenson. I am currently in the last stretch of a creative writing MA, which I have come to Canterbury, England, to study.
Steampunk was introduced to me not too many years ago in the vaguest of ways, but it instantly struck a chord. Quintessentially steampunk things were already deep interests of mine, but I had had no way of describing or grouping them. 
This past month has seen my first experience in steampunk, apart from admiring things online and creating my own art on the subject. I was able to attend White Mischief's The Great Exhibition, and I very much enjoyed myself. Apart from the wonderful entertainment and the absolutely extraordinary arts and crafts showcased, I was particularly impressed with the manners and kindness represented there.
I created my own outfit for the event, which consisted of a reconstructed shirt, a hand sewn skirt, a hand made mini top-hat, and miscellaneous accessories. The process was enjoyable, especially creating the hat, and with that in mind I have continued to produce similar hats with varying designs. I do hope to continue sewing more complex pieces like the skirt, but they are not my particular focus at the moment.

I shall stop the fingers tapping now, and save any other rants for other posts.
It is a great pleasure.
Seldon
« Reply #3656 on: April 15, 2010, 02:09:45 pm »

Hello and well met, one and all. I would like to introduce myself to you fine Ladies and Gentlemen, and extend a hand of friendship to you all. I look forward to engaging you in wondrous conversation and enjoying our shared passion. I have always loved Steampunk, you see, and I very recently learned it indeed did have a name. The films, and literary works that exemplify the genre have been the stuff of my dreams and machinations for many a year. I look forward to truly learning the craft and inner workings of the community, and hope to contribute myself. It is a pleasure to be among you, good day.
Polaris
Snr. Officer

"You again?! What are you? The Plague?"

« Reply #3657 on: April 16, 2010, 08:39:49 pm »

Salutations, kind ladies and sirs! It's a pleasure to be meeting you all.

I'm still a little new to the ways of steampunk, having loved the aesthetic for many years, I never really gave it much attention until a few months ago when I realized SP wasn't just a few people making neat things- but a whole subculture that could be explored. Since then I've thrown myself full tilt into the midst of things- experimenting with sewing, crafting and jewelry... Picking up books and stories and artwork... I've even rallied my friends, also vaguely intrigued by the culture, into becoming more involved. We're already planning SP events in our city this summer. Grin Suffice to say I don't usually do anything by halves...  Wink

Still, there's so much more to learn and see... And I guess that's really why I'm here... To listen, discuss and learn more about this fascinating genre...

I look forward to talking and learning with all of you.

"Then the Gods of the Market tumbled, and their smooth-tongued wizards withdrew
And the hearts of the meanest were humbled and began to believe it was true
That all is not gold that glitters, and two and two make four
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings limped up to explain it once more."~Kipling; 1919
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #3658 on: April 18, 2010, 05:14:34 pm »

I may or may not have introduced myself here before but as I can not remember I shall do so again.

My forum name is Sir Robert, why?  Because in real life after three wars and 30+ years in the military I have so many medals that I look like a Hero of the Soviet Union.  But I live in a backwards country that has no knighthoods, I more than earned it just can't demand that others address me as such.  The only time I hear "Sir" is when being questioned about pom frittes.  Thus any character I create will be as brave as the real me. Somewhat odd, some other people make up characters bigger than they are in real life.  The real me is great, the real world has shortcomings.  Honor, one does not see that much anymore, rare indeed.  Have you seen the show Band of Brothers?  These men fought and served well and honorably.  Back then no one would have dared to call them names.  Today...

I live in the New Orleans area which is wonderful.  I sew several costumes per year, I am learning.  I build very detailed scale models but have not in years, the interest has waned.  I write.  I shoot.  I read (a lot).

Sir Robert, Soldier, Gentleman Adventurer, all around nice guy.
Lost Locket
Swab

Netherlands Netherlands

I can't fly, but I can make you a sandwich

AirshipPirate
« Reply #3659 on: April 19, 2010, 01:49:32 pm »

Hey all!
I just joined this forum.
I started dressing up steampunk for Fantasy Fairs since the end of last year (had been working on the outfit since summertime)
I thought this would be a great way to meet more people who're interested in Steampunk Smiley

Lost and never found Again
Emmaline Richards II
Deck Hand

« Reply #3660 on: April 19, 2010, 08:52:30 pm »

A hello to everyone!

I just joined the forum and thought I should introduce myself. I have been aware of steampunk for awhile now, but mostly as an aesthetic movement. I recently decided to delve deeper into the culture and it seemed to suit me rather perfectly. My mom raised me on Masterpiece Theater and This Old House, so no wonder I am who I am. Unfortunately there isn't a huge community (or any at all as far as I know) where I currently reside, so I thought I'd join this digital community.

I have been an amateur book binder for a number of years. I am fascinated by paper and letters, and also how we have used them through history. I also make much of my own jewelry. I don't cast or fabricate or anything, but deal in beading and chain & link stuff. I'm also looking to getting into sewing.

I look forward to being a part of this wonderful community!
Agent Ginrei
Swab

« Reply #3661 on: April 20, 2010, 02:22:47 am »

Hello everyone! My name is Alex, but you can always refer to me by my screen name. ^_^ Been poking around this site for a while and finally decided to sign up and start posting. I look forward to learning and sharing with you all. Have a lovely day!
bobbuk
Deck Hand
Bulgaria Bulgaria

Things that cannot be and are

« Reply #3662 on: April 20, 2010, 08:52:42 am »

Hi,

Initially I didn't see the current topic and introduced myself here:

Hi, me's new to Steampunk too and this is my first post here. My steampunk experience points contain a bit of Arcanum game and viewing of some pictures but i find it extremely stylish. Hope my enthusiasm doesn't end in a week like most of the things i ever engage in.

Have a good time!

I could include that I'm interested in analogue computing right now : ) And my real name is Boyan.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 09:19:32 am by bobbuk » Logged

Middle Earth (Midgard®, Middangeard) - Anglo-Saxon: <i>land between heaven and hell, where men walk</i>
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #3663 on: April 20, 2010, 12:03:14 pm »

Hello!

Allow me to introduce myself. Behind the fearsome moniker of Inflatable Friend I am, surprisingly, a normal man. Not some kind of deployable, packable, puncture-proofed companion.

I’ve been interested in many of the things that fall under the banner of steampunk for a considerable time, perusing the Chappist pages or lounging at the Sheridan Club. It is however the more wildly imaginative fancies that have brought me to these shores; that exquisite combination of sartorial elegance, Victorian invention and the idea of kicking Johnny-moon-man in the Khyber.

For my sins I am a would-be architect (law dictates that I make it clear I am not currently an architect. Please don’t report me!) currently preparing to undertake another few years of higher-education for my RIBA part II. As a result of this I am occasionally overcome with a strange lust for things made of concrete that look like they’re the result of an explosion in a geometry factory.

A good cup of tea and sit down and it normally passes.

I look forward to becoming a part of this wonderful community, I hope to be able to contribute drawings and objects, or failing that some terribly whimsical writings.

Tally ho!
lolliTragic
Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3664 on: April 20, 2010, 01:01:17 pm »

Greetings, Good evening, Gi'day, Malo, Ni bula, Kia Ora .. so on, and so forth * wriggles her fingers in a little wave*

I wish I had some fantabulous tale to spin on how I came to be among such splendid company, but sadly I must make a very poor first impression and admit to having none. I have no marvelous inventions, no prized and develop skills of craft, and no great knowledge of history, no title, and no position. I've silently wondered this forum, unannounced, for many months .. just how many I honestly could not tell you .. pawing over the many interesting discussions, drooling over the countless pretties of leather and cog. For no particular reason on a rather uneventful evening, though admittedly a particularly warm winters night, I simply though it about time I actually took part.

I'm not much for costumes, but I've moonlighted as a house wife on the odd occasion. I like to spend my evenings sipping tea over a good book, even though dyslexia tends to make the letters jiggle and gyrate like a belly dancer. I enjoy a wide array of hobbies, mainly artistic crafts I can get my hands on, but also enjoy creating digital art and writing when the spirit catches me. I've been practicing martial arts for about two decades, love to cook (being especially fond of baking), and have an unhealthy obsession with cars .. which is only fueled by the world of steam .. I may need to seek professional help at some point.

I look forward to taking part in what seems to be a vivid and varied supportive community.

... sanity is relative, insanity is quantum mechanics ...
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #3665 on: April 20, 2010, 06:33:02 pm »

Um... Hi?
Yeah... Loved all things victorian since I was about six... last year I realised there was a name for it! Yesterday I found the forum (seriously how could I not have noticed this?!?) and so signed up...
My name refers to one of my characters (the only one I have gotten round to actually writing the story of) so that makes sense... That is about it!

I think I need to brush up on my superlative english after reading some of these posts!

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
Rainey Daye
Deck Hand

texanromaniac
« Reply #3666 on: April 20, 2010, 08:10:29 pm »

Greetings!! Having only recently (as in just this year) gotten interested in steampunk I have not got a steampunk name. My forum name is the one I use pretty much everywhere online (as I have since coming up with it in 2002) and comes simply from the fact that I am from Texas and was rather crazy (aka a "maniac") about the country of Romania. I still love the country and have many friends over there from my time spent there...but am now living a rather quiet life as a married stay at home mom of an adorable baby boy in the suburbs of the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex.

I have been interested in medieval/renaissance stuff for a very long time and got into swing dancing a few years ago...but haven't got to do much with any of that either beyond going to a few faires and dances. This year our little group is heading to the Texas Renaissance Festival and the vote was that we go in bellydance/harem garb for the ladies and some sort of turkish/arabian garb for the gentlemen. It wasn't my idea, but I'll go along with it...but since bellydance is a bit anachronistic for the renaissance anyway, I thought I'd have a little fun with my garb and add in some goth/steampunk elements. In perusing the web for ideas, I ran across this forum and decided I must join in!!
AlegrahEredschtadt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3667 on: April 22, 2010, 03:59:24 pm »

I have been lurking for a few days and thought it best to say hello. I am just entering the world of steam with the urging of my boyfriend and best friend, sooo.  I'm working on my first outfit for a convention in July which I'm quite excited for.
I do seem to be the youngest person that I've seen here, but oh, well. I do enjoy it. But yes. I am quite enjoying a life of one becoming steamed.
Buut, my forum name is my steampunk name. Cheesy The base of her character is that she's a graverobber/lady of the night. :O She's a part of a "brigade" that my friend is the leader of, but I'm enjoying it greatly. :] I'll be posting pictures of my costume as it's put together!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 02:58:30 pm by AlegrahEredschtadt » Logged

Read the musings of a mentally unstable traveler: http://symphonicallymorbid.blogspot.com/

~ ~ ~

I dare mention my bloomers in public.

Join me in the Chatroom! http:/
Albertine
Deck Hand
Denmark Denmark

Adventure is out there!

« Reply #3668 on: April 24, 2010, 05:41:29 pm »

Greetings from the Orient! I reside in China at the moment, though I hail from Denmark.
I work as a teacher of spoken English here, but seeing as I have a lot of spare time I remembered my old love for all things steampunkish, swiftly turned to the internet for ideas on things to tinker with when I get back to Denmark and stumbled upon this website.
I am new to steampunk, although I've admired it for years. I only own a pair of goggles. I made a steampunk bracelet for my ex boyfriend though, and ended up being quite proud of it Smiley
I am nearing 20 at an intimidating pace (yes, I must admit to being scared of leaving my teen-age), listen to rock, metal and classical music and have a profound love of books, writing, music, drawing, photography and singing. I love to create.
I would be pleased to make your acquaintance!
bizarre_chicken
Zeppelin Admiral

I like vegetarians, but I couldn't eat a whole one

« Reply #3669 on: April 27, 2010, 12:59:00 am »

I used to be active here quite a lot the year before last, and early last year, so a lot of the older members will probably still recognise me.

I sort of, drifted away from here, but after playing my show the Whitby Goth Weekend and meeting some truly tremendous people, I've decided to start posting here again.

So, hello. Again.

Click here for win. ---^
steamtastic
Snr. Officer
England England

"It starts with S and ends in PUNK..."

« Reply #3670 on: April 27, 2010, 07:14:01 pm »

Welcome Back!

Each Man is in his Spectre's power
Until the arrival of that hour
When his Humanity awake -William Blake
Gizenshi
Gunner
Latvia Latvia

teapunk

mazzerin
« Reply #3671 on: May 02, 2010, 08:11:40 am »

Hello!

I've been passively interested in steampunk for years and only now decided to look it up in depth. I've sort of known what it is since playing Arcanum, which after all these years I still call my favourite computer game. Um, what else... I wear a pocket watch when I can, a tophat on special occasions and I haven't had a chance to go anywhere with my brass goggles yet Grin
LizerSparkes
Zeppelin Captain

I's some crazy, b'y...

DrillBoysGirl
« Reply #3672 on: May 03, 2010, 10:03:23 am »

Hello, hello!  I've already posted in a few areas, but just now stumbled upon this topic...

I hail from a part of the US that really doesn't have much to it (No joke. We don't even have a basic sewing supplies store, that's how small my hometown is). I began to get into Steampunk only within the last year or so, and am still working on getting everything together to make my first full outfit. I'm currently awaiting my awards package for the college I'm attending this fall as a Business Administration major, and I spend my free time playing with string, sticks, beads, and whatever else I can get my hands on.

My forum name is something that I've come to accept as another facet of my already warped personality, and I do have quite a story behind it, though it is likely best left to be told in person.

"PLC, and reach for the stars." - F. "Bucky" Laughlin
Thairyn
Gunner

« Reply #3673 on: May 05, 2010, 08:34:56 pm »

In way of introduction, my name is Faye Stephenson. I am currently in the last stretch of a creative writing MA, which I have come to Canterbury, England, to study.

I shall be studying there next year, Faye. How delightful.
Were you Canterbury or Kent?
[or some other that I know not of, I suppose]

and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

Come join me in the chatroom - or gmjhowe will punish us ;_; #brassgoggles
DreamHazard
Demoted Temporal Cheat
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #3674 on: May 06, 2010, 02:28:16 pm »

DreamHazard is the handle, though you can call me Sir Alexander, I used to have a surname but it fell off I'm afraid.

I'm an airship Captain, and something of an Artisan, I craft protective yet stylish goggles, predominantly, although other items and articles intrigue me just as much.

I have traversed this realm for a little shy of twenty two years, although it often seems like much longer.

I am a collector of items musical, favouring woodwind or strings, and musically proficient.

That's about all that comes to mind by way of introduction, although I'm always happy to answer an inquisitive soul

Pages: 1 ... 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 [147] 148 149   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: