The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 13, 2020, 02:59:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 [145] 146 147 148 149   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 301660 times)
OoJeremyoO
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #3600 on: March 07, 2010, 11:30:27 pm »

hi MsKim, you're cute. welcome to the forum.  Shocked

Have you read Max Brooks' "The Zombie Survival Guide" yet?
My favorite band is Opeth.
My favorites game series is Dragon Quest.
RaasAlHayya
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3601 on: March 07, 2010, 11:54:13 pm »

Greetings!

About me:
I have always loved both Victorian sensibilities and science fiction. What a great way to combine two wonderful concepts!

I have spent many years going to anime/fantasy/sci-fi conventions, Renaissance faires, SCA events and historical/cultural festivals. My interests include the aforementioned anime/fantasy/sci-fi, ancient Egypt, historical costume, belly dancing, crafting and sewing.

I live in Dallas, TX, USA with my husband and two cats, where I daylight as an administrative assistant to fund my many hobbies.

The development of a character I find to be a highly enjoyable aspect of dressing up, as form always follows function. I’ve spent the past week or so working on a steampunk persona and will post far more than anyone is interested in knowing and pester you all to death with questions.

Nice to meet all of you!

--Leslie
skull_candy
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3602 on: March 09, 2010, 02:21:52 am »

good evening

Im quite new to steampunk im making a crossover from rocker/emo/industrial chick i think im growing out of it haha and i came across this and fell in love with the beauty and style of it all to whoever started this i thank you xxx
Pith_Helm
Deck Hand

Dr. Phineas Trippeswelle

« Reply #3603 on: March 09, 2010, 02:32:13 am »

Greetings all!

I'd like to introduce m'self if I may. I'm Dr. Phineas Trippeswelle...but my real name's Zach. A friend of mine told me about this place the other day and so I decided to check it out. I'm just barely getting into steampunk, but I've always been fascinated by it. Why? Because a nerd, that's why, hehe. I play Warhammer 40k as the Praetorians, who - for those who may not know - are esentially futuristic 1870s British soldiers. Complete with pith helmets.

I'm an American Revolution and American Civil War reenactor, currently working on a Bachelor's in History, and work as a tour guide aboard the RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA.

So yeah, that's pretty much my story.

Dr. Phineas Trippeswelle
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #3604 on: March 09, 2010, 10:11:30 am »

Welcome guys!

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
mrhengrasmee
« Reply #3605 on: March 09, 2010, 09:23:01 pm »

Hey all,

I'm JO. I'm a new member of this site. So glad to join this place. Welcome for all suggestions.

me
Screaming Lord Pea Green
Snr. Officer

Where the only wrong thought...is the right one.

« Reply #3606 on: March 10, 2010, 12:43:23 pm »

COME IN, COME IN AND KNOW ME BETTER MAN!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Welcome to that which we call, brassgoggles. A cornucopia of all things steampunk.

Enjoy.

The Moral High Gound - A great place to position Artillery.
cuddlyinfection
Deck Hand

Goodbye, dear hat.

cuddlyinfection
« Reply #3607 on: March 10, 2010, 10:30:51 pm »

Hello everyone. My name is Ashlea (pronounced just like Ashley, just spelled a prettier way). I'm sixteen, a sophomore in highschool, and I currently live in Virginia within the United States. I recently became entranced by Steampunk and though I don't own many pieces that could be coordinated into the style, I still consider myself to be Steampunk.

I used to be into roleplaying online quite a bit and I just love the escapism that Steampunk gives. It's like advanced roleplay, but you are your own character. I am a very heavy reader and I have been since I learned how to read. I love fantasy and fiction, especially fiction that is realistic fantasy. I haven't read much since highschool. I just haven't had the time. I am also into anime and manga, especially the sci-fi kind.

I'm a very friendly person, so if you want to chat, feel free to PM me or e-mail me. Smiley
Markd1920
Swab

« Reply #3608 on: March 11, 2010, 03:56:16 am »

Found this place looking for a latin translator.  Couldn't tear myself away.  Guess I've always been a Steampunk and never knew it. 

There comes a time in everyone's life when you suddenly see clearly.  You are no longer concerned with opinion or society, when you can see yourself clearly without the glare of others dimming the view.  Will someone please tell me when I get there?
talex73
Gunner

« Reply #3609 on: March 11, 2010, 06:56:42 pm »

Hi everyone,

I’ve been lurking for the last few weeks and now I’m finally introducing myself.

My name is Tina and I’ve been interested in steampunk, on and off, for about a year.  I was recently reminded of how much I love the aesthetic, so I did some digging and ended up here.

I’m originally from Macon, GA, but now live in Gwinnett County, GA (north of Atlanta) with my husband and 2 dogs.  I’m an administrative assistant/bookkeeper by trade, and in my off time I can be found crocheting, reading, cooking, sewing or any other crafty endeavor that strikes my fancy at that moment.

I consider my self an autodidact and some of my “not-so-susie-homemaker” interests include mythology & folklore, cryptozoology, world religions, philosophy, sociology and a bunch of other similar topics that my husband couldn’t care less about. Smiley

Anyway, that’s the gist of it.  It’s a pleasure to meet you all.
Marika Osbourne
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #3610 on: March 11, 2010, 08:32:10 pm »

Hello, I found this forum the other day when I stumbled across something concerning time travelers' day and am already finding this all quite interesting.

I have been into steampunk for a while now, mostly because I'm a goggle fanatic and have wanted a proper top hat since I was six probably.  I do not dress up very often but have a couple of outfits that are really fitting.  I also hope to get more into the steampunk technology side since I think most of it is quite lovely.
Clairepie
Deck Hand

« Reply #3611 on: March 13, 2010, 11:59:39 pm »

I am Claire (and occasionally La Belle Dame Sans Merci), I discovered steampunk literature a while back and thanks to the wonders of the internet was so happy to find that you can dress up as well!

I am live in Manchester in the UK and grew up in Liverpool, and looking to Steam myself all over!!!

I love sci-fi and history, zombie films and all kinds of music.

I am also getting married in a few years to a wonderful geek, and we want our steampunk wedding here....http://www.mosi.org.uk/

So I am wanting to make jewellery for it and simple cost effective ideas to pimp my wedding guests!

I have an interest in genealogy too... This is my great great grandmother http://www.flickr.com/photos/clairepie/3423860592/#in/set-72157616409460031/

trae
Deck Hand

Macgyver Engineer.

« Reply #3612 on: March 14, 2010, 11:21:38 am »

Morning all,

(Well, it's morning somewhere).

Been interested in the steampunk aesthetic forever. Well, not forever, I actually used to hate the warm tones of copper (I still carry a distaste for the cheery gleam of brass...). But for at least half my life. I always liked the Victorian aspect, the attention to detail and embellishment, just couldn't get over the choice of metal. Metal itself has always intrigued me, and I hope to learn metal-work and welding very soon. There's just something intriguingly sexy about metal. And I love the smell of burning metal. Wink

I am something of a gypsy, though I've never left the states. Vagabond, drifter, and jack-of-all-trades have all been applied to me (along with several other more sundry and/or complimentary titles). Eventually I will be a published writer, though I fear that moment is far from now. Currently I drive a cab in the culturally destitute city of Phoenix. And moonlight as a bartender when I can get away with it. And perform fire and circus arts for passerby's. And throw festivals of epic re-known. And, most recently, play with large scale propane fire effects. And... well that's probably enough for a forum intro.

I am many things... too many to go into. And I'm here hoping to learn more. I had an interesting life (to put it politely), and then I found Burningman. Then things really became fun. It really is amazing how something so brief can affect one so profoundly.

I found this forum ages ago, in research for something or another. I found what I was looking for, bookmarked it, and pulled it up in research many more times. Never got around to making a login or really perusing the forum much. I am currently making an attempt to more learn more, to give back, and be more involved in things. This is one such move in that direction. This is a great forum with a lot of really good information and good people. I want to be part of that.

I have no credentials. But i have a lot of theory, an artist's eye, and a strange affinity to results. I may not be anything even approaching well educated, but I have a certain expertise and field knowledge in a wide range of fields... and know how to apply that knowledge to best effect. I am also not afraid to admit when I don't know something and am primarily here to learn.

That's probably more then anyone needed to know. But I've had a few and typing relieves the drunken boredom. Cheers!

Feel free to IM me... I love meeting new people of similar interest.

- moderation is a sin -
Esmee Weatherwax
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #3613 on: March 15, 2010, 07:12:26 pm »

Hello everybody. I rolled into Steampunk from the interest in historical clothing. Having been a member of Black Bustle for a while this seemed a logical follow up.
I knew that there was a movement that kept calling out my name, just realized it is indeed Steampunk.

As the mother of role playing brood I've sewn many a costume for different events. Finally, oh finally, it is my turn to involve in a spot of roleplay for myself. Still working on the character, still working on the wardrobe.
I am from the Netherlands and spend part of the year here and part of it in Germany. As I'm completely off grid there (indeed a wood- and coal heated house, oillamps and candles) sometimes I may seem to disappear off the radar. No fear, the Kraken didn't get me.
I'll most likely be tending the vegetable garden and sewing with the trusty Singer handsewingmachine for Queen and country.

Living off grid has certainly prepared me for a Steampunk persona. Let's see how this evolves eh?
Glad to have found you all.
kimberlina
Swab

theginfairy
« Reply #3614 on: March 16, 2010, 01:14:44 pm »

Hi everyone,

Hope I'm posting this in the right place. My name is Kim Lakin-Smith. I'm an SF and dark fantasy author from the UK. My absolute passions are all things dieselpunk - say twenties to late fifties - hotrods, urban dystopias, alternative lifestyles, alt history, cool heroes and wild heroines. I am indeed a lurker, but have finally plucked up courage to say hello.

I would love to meet other folk with a dieselpunk obsession. I'm also trying to hunt down short stories and novels in that vein, but always come up short, especially the 1950s period. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.
TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord

Steampunk Facilitator MVSS

« Reply #3615 on: March 16, 2010, 01:30:54 pm »

Welcome to the boards Kim.  Please note we are always looking for authors to appear at The Asylum to promote and talk about their work.   It's also a great place to meet other people with similar tastes.

http://steampunk.synthasite.com

BE SPLENDID!
BrittleWrists
Officer

Buckshot Billie, Patron Saint of Things Gone Wrong

« Reply #3616 on: March 16, 2010, 01:32:45 pm »

Alright.

You caught me.

I'm not actually "new" to this forum. I had another account here, but I felt that it was not the shining beacon of light and holiness that it could be (read: the username was getting stale), so I requested to have it deleted. C'est la vie.

Let's get this soiree started right: I'm Alistaire. I do photography (I love to sequester myself into small, dark, poorly-ventilated rooms for hours on end!). I collect antique cameras and dabble in older processes. I've always been fascinated by steampunk and Victorian aesthetics, and I enjoy combining them with my interest in photography*. I'm hoping to run across some similar enthusiasts, and maybe contribute what little I know to the forums.

Also, I have brachydactyly type-d. It's pretty cool having thumbs that look like toes.

Anyway. It's great to be back and I swear I'll keep this account from going rancid.

hurt harm halogen hush
hummel
Gunner

Scathing, insightful; yet, heartfelt remark

« Reply #3617 on: March 16, 2010, 05:52:58 pm »

Greetings and felicitations!

I go by the name of jim in my day-to-day wanderings.  You're welcome to call me what you'd like.

While a good deal older than the typical steampunk, as my tubes research has indicated, I, nonetheless, have been inherently attached to the genre for most of my life.  From the writings of Poe, Doyle and Blackwood as a child through to my lifelong penchants for tales and movies of the dusty and grim streets of Victorian London, I have always been here.  Be that as it may...

With regards to crafting, apparel and associated commiserating, I am stark new.  I hope to begin here, conversationally and at hom, craftily, at the lowest rung and learn what I may learn.

Happy to be here!

Yours, etc.

hummel

It may, indeed, behoove you to know less; but, that is not for me to say.
Count Alexander
Snr. Officer

Traditionally crazy...

« Reply #3618 on: March 17, 2010, 04:06:17 am »

Hi everyone,

Hope I'm posting this in the right place. My name is Kim Lakin-Smith. I'm an SF and dark fantasy author from the UK. My absolute passions are all things dieselpunk - say twenties to late fifties - hotrods, urban dystopias, alternative lifestyles, alt history, cool heroes and wild heroines. I am indeed a lurker, but have finally plucked up courage to say hello.

I would love to meet other folk with a dieselpunk obsession. I'm also trying to hunt down short stories and novels in that vein, but always come up short, especially the 1950s period. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

YOU CAN BE MY FRIEND!! I LOVE DIESELPUNK!
*Although are you sure you aren't interested in Atompunk? Sounds like that...
Anyways welcome!

"I don't think anyone's gonna buy a few dozen counts of self-defense with a sub-machine gun."
Laserpunk
Officer

Rogue Laser Enthusiast

« Reply #3619 on: March 18, 2010, 04:36:28 am »

Hi all,

My friends call me Gaz. I'm 43, and was an iron worker till an accident left me disabled. Its been about 6 years since the accident.

I'm an artist, and I dabble in most mediums, but I do best with pen and ink. Recently (14 months ago) I came across a DIY laser forum. That inspired me to do some visual art. To me the color, and radiance of a photon beam is mesmerizing. So I decided to create a machine to project different laser effects. There are hundreds on the market, but the artist in me wanted something unique. So I came up with a crazy idea to use plumbing pipes, and other older technology to build it. I told this idea to a friend, and she mentioned Steampunk. I jumped on the internet and found you lot. By the looks of things, I came to the right place.

Thanks for having me.

Don't be proud of something you bought, be proud of something you built.

Companies I personally endorse for lasers, and accessories. Don't get ripped off on eBay.

www.O-like.com www.rayfoss.com www.dragonlasers.com www.optotronics.com

For parts, diodes and modules http://www.modwerx.com/
brasshooter
Gunner

« Reply #3620 on: March 19, 2010, 12:23:50 am »

Hello,

My name is Jeremy and I currently daylight as a Truck Driver in Uncle Sam's Misguided Children*. I have always had a love for fantasy and have always had a special love for Steampunk. I currently live in Southern California and hope to get involved with events and whatnot in the area.

*USMC or United States Marine Corps
Ian3000
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3621 on: March 19, 2010, 01:02:00 am »

Welcome I am relatively new here myself, there are a few military members round here. I am Air Force myself.

"Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us."
-V for Vendetta
Kalei13
Gunner

"I aim to misbehave"

« Reply #3622 on: March 19, 2010, 01:14:09 am »

Hi Ian, I'm a 21 year vet/retiree of the USAF. April will make 1 year retired. Greetings Jeremy, welcome to the forum. I'm new here also.

Kalei

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."
Count Alexander
Snr. Officer

Traditionally crazy...

« Reply #3623 on: March 19, 2010, 01:24:23 am »

Welcome Gents, New guy buys  Cheesy
Laserpunk
Officer

Rogue Laser Enthusiast