The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 17, 2019, 08:43:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 149   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 284125 times)
Jemima Annabelle Clough
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

When you're tired of tea, you're tired of life

« Reply #325 on: November 29, 2007, 08:42:55 pm »

Blast! I somehow missed this thread when I joined!  Embarrassed A belated hello to everyone here from just south of London!

Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire
Dead_Empire
« Reply #326 on: December 04, 2007, 10:14:48 pm »

Hi,

I live in Melbourne, Australia I have been lurking on this site for a while. I’m involved in the Goth scene here in Melbourne. My main hobbies are making corsetry and pattern making. I’m currently starting a Steampunk inspired fashion label call Dead Empire, hence the forum name. The label is going to be launched in March 2008 as  apart of Circa Nocturne Alternative fashion show for L’Oreal Fashion week.

I’m looking forward to chatting to all of you.

Cheers,
Ryan.
Cadaverette
« Reply #327 on: December 05, 2007, 05:26:51 am »

Hello all...
I went on a strange journey to this site from Offbeatbride.com's coverage of a steampunk wedding. Check it out, it looks amazing! Strange that I'm not a bride or have plans of being a bride..huh.
I really don't have a spectactular name, I snuck on here by curiousity.
Short version of moi is that I'm 20, theatre student, and am on the cast of our local Rocky Horror Picture show cast.
I like to craft and make jewlery and all kinds of strange things. I also love tattoos, Stan Rice poetry, wearing ridiculously tall shoes, and Waffle House.

Cheers ladies and gents!
unlimitedchaos
« Reply #328 on: December 05, 2007, 10:33:04 am »

hello everyone
i've only just discovered steampunk through a tabletop wargame called warmachine and want to know more about it, it looks so cool.

my name is garry, but you can just call me chaos. i'm 21, and from north london.  i like old school numetal music, things like fear factory, machinehead, soulfly, korn, soad- anything on roadrunner really. and i play csm in 40k and cryx in wm.
von Brasswood
Zeppelin Captain
Norway Norway

Master of Graphical Marvel

« Reply #329 on: December 05, 2007, 10:49:19 am »

...I like old school numetal music...

I love the concept of OLD school NU metal ^^

Anyways, welcome aboard, Chaos!

"Steam punk is like a top hat: You can watch it from different angles and enjoy different things about it, and there are no single hat that fits everyones head."
- vonB
michaelbeeman
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Covered in bees!

« Reply #330 on: December 05, 2007, 04:55:07 pm »

Welcome to you all! It's so good to have you all here!

"If you can't laugh at yourself, you must not be very funny."
Ben Hudson, Esq.
Snr. Officer

New avatar, same person.

« Reply #331 on: December 05, 2007, 06:27:14 pm »

Hehe, you know music is moving fast when you have oldschool numetal. Mind you, I guess there are lots of 'new' genres... new wave, NQOBHM, etc.

Quod me non necat me confirmat

Cappuccino?! I'll give you a cappuccino!

Fellow of the Retrofuturist Society
Stephanie Rose
Deck Hand

« Reply #332 on: December 05, 2007, 10:58:09 pm »

Greetings!

I'm female, nearing my 20th year (a week tomorrow!) and I'm living in Manchester at the moment but hail from Wetherby, near Leeds originally. I've always had a fascination with Victorian dress and way of life and I was enamoured with steampunk-type literature and cinematography before I knew the actual term, such as His Dark Materials and the films of Hayo Miyazaki. I do not read comics or graphic novels though. I suppose I longed for a time when women were ladies and men were gentlemen, and steampunk is similar in this way.

I'm in my second year studying German at the University of Manchester and love piercings (and body modification as a whole) and music. I listen to a wide range of music from artists such as Turisas and Wintersun (and my new obsession, Dethklok Wink) to Interpol and Neutral Milk Hotel. I'm also partial to a bit of Covenant and Crüxshadows and love 80s music.
Gracie
« Reply #333 on: December 06, 2007, 05:03:13 am »

Hello, everyone. I'm Gracie. I've recently discovered Steampunk through the Seattle Goth scene, and have fallen in love with its elegance. 
time kitten
« Reply #334 on: December 06, 2007, 08:44:36 am »

Greetings all, I am Time Kitten.  Since everyone and their cat has been recommending this sight that I have been lurking in for quite a while, I thought I had best speak out, since I am already here.  I am a student of programing, art, video games and jewelry.  Previously a student of law, and soon to be a student of music.  I have been into steampunk ever since that time I was tied to the railroad tracks, and now, quite a many years later, I shall finally contribute to the community.  One day I will be the best airship robbing outlaw there is, you'll see.

I am currently working on a steam powered air conditioner, but am having machining problems.  Future projects include a wireless telegraph cricket, and an overpowered wind up sparkler gun/ flamethrower.
Unklian
« Reply #335 on: December 06, 2007, 09:05:08 am »

Hi Everybody.

My Name is Ian (Unklian) Phoenix from Sheffield, UK.

How did I not know about Steampunk?
I've loved making obscure things in the shed for years.
I finally have an outlet and can talk to like minded people.
The first "Steampunk" item I've seen was a mouse.
I have already ordered a very compact USB optical mouse to modify.
A large chunk of oak is partially carved into mouse shape.
My local non-ferrous metal dealer has supplied me with loads of bits.
While new to Steampunk, You might like to see some of my previous attempts at "Stuff".

http://www.unklian.co.uk/

Perhaps the best being the V8 Trike on page 6.

Back to the shed........Message you later with mouse Mk1 all being well.

Ian.
Lady Amelia Marsh
« Reply #336 on: December 06, 2007, 09:30:37 am »

i realized i passed over this when first joining so here goes:

Greetings!
My name is Wish and my forum name of Lady Amelia is just one of the many characters that live in my brain. this is what happens when you are a writer. she is the most dapper airship admiral you ever will meet (a bit of a victorian lara croft with some james bond thrown in for kick). I however, am a classical archaeology student, entering graduate school shortly, that loves the elegance and beauty of the victorian era, but i come from a more punk background so i love the grit as well. I really have come to love the aesthetic though i am not religious. it has become just part of the many influences in my wardrobe, but thats the fun of it all isnt it?
anyhow, its been lovely meeting you all and i look forward to chatting on the forums
KneeNAR
« Reply #337 on: December 06, 2007, 12:19:24 pm »

Hiya ^^

My name's Nina and I've only just found out about steampunk not too long ago.
I'm now so addicted that everything I do relates back to steampunk. My Textiles, Design and Tech and Art Body of Work will all be steampunk inspired. I can't wait to become part of this =D
I hope to start making my own outfits, as I have none yet D:!

Where are my goggles D: xD

Nice to meet everyone!
Jemima Annabelle Clough
Rogue Ætherlord

When you're tired of tea, you're tired of life

« Reply #338 on: December 06, 2007, 08:22:41 pm »

Perhaps the best being the V8 Trike on page 6.

The trike is rather awesome - and unusual in that I've only really ever seen delta motor trikes, not tadpole ones!
Rage-X
Gunner

Pirate American

« Reply #339 on: December 06, 2007, 08:34:34 pm »

Hello everyone,

My name is Tod but everyone calls me Rage (yes I am not kidding and it has nothing to do with my temper). I live in the US. I am an R&D tech and do a side buisness fixing and building computers. I am new to steampunk but have been watching it grow for a while now.

It is better to be hated for what you are then loved for what you are not.
rosario
Officer

« Reply #340 on: December 08, 2007, 08:32:14 pm »

Greetings! My name is Simone, and I have been lurking around these parts rather heavily as of late. I'm a bit of a costumer, a bit of a sculptor, and on occasion a bit of a college student. You'll probably hear more from me soon!
Villainous
Officer

Chivalry isn't dead... It's sexy.

« Reply #341 on: December 08, 2007, 09:09:00 pm »

Greetings and felicitations Gentlemen and -women;
   Please allow me to introduce myself:  Philetus T. Flambuginous, esq. At your and your Family's service!
I am the owner and Master of the Good Airship Hermione.  For eighteen years now, my wife, the Lady B. and I have  piloted her along the sometimes stormy and turbulent airways of Fromagia (known to the uninitiated as Wisconsin).  Along with our children and jolly crew, we have had countless adventures and tragedies but through it all, the good ship has persevered and come through this long journey called "Life".
  I must admit that I have been lurking this forum for a mighty long time and have just now decided to add my own voice to your repartee.  I hope to get to know you all much better in the time to come.
  I shall leave it at this short introduction for now and bid you all a fond "Farewell".

~Philetus~

Welcome fellow Fromagian!

NEW STORES!! NEW DESIGNS!!

Shop One
Shop Two
Steampunk Cybernaut
« Reply #342 on: December 08, 2007, 09:10:48 pm »

Greetings! My name is Simone, and I have been lurking around these parts rather heavily as of late. I'm a bit of a costumer, a bit of a sculptor, and on occasion a bit of a college student. You'll probably hear more from me soon!

Welcome, Ms. Simone!
Hartraft
Officer

Bandits! 7'O'Clock!

« Reply #343 on: December 09, 2007, 07:40:32 pm »

Howdy y'all.
My name's Rob, I was directed here by a buddy of mine, Jon, whilst on the prowl for inspiration for costume for a cyberpunk LARP I'm due to attend.

Awesome looking site. I'm well impressed by what you guys do here.

Cheers
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 10:23:31 pm by Hartraft » Logged

Adapt, Improvise, Overcome.
Or just scream and cry til help arrives.
LiveJournal | MySpace | Deviant Art
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #344 on: December 09, 2007, 07:45:30 pm »

hello everyone, the name is doug. know on some other boards by thedap.

I'm new to steampunk, and making stuff in the genre is still frustrating me, but seeing everyone elses work is definitely pointing me in the right direction!!

I hope to learn alot here!

the board has a nice friendly feel to it, kinda rare out there.....I like it.

crucibelle
« Reply #345 on: December 10, 2007, 04:23:47 am »

Greetings, everyone.  My real name is Jeanna, but crucibelle has been my screenname for several years.  Before discovering steampunk, I enjoyed the goth aesthetic.  Still do, to some extent.  However, I have become disillusioned by the elitism of that particular (sub)culture.  Everyone seems much more accepting and open minded here, and I am enjoying this forum and the members, immensely.

I am 35 years old, but much younger at heart.  I was born and raised in the state of Louisiana (and proud to be a southern gal), but I have been living in Delaware for the past eight or nine years.

For the past three years, I have been working at a nylon plant.  It was the first commercial nylon plant in operation in the US (began operation in December 1939).  I'm proud to work there, and I think its really neat that much of the nylon production still depends on STEAM - particularly things called "steam chimneys".  For anyone who is as fascinated with machinery as much as I am, and might possibly be interested in nylon production and its history, here is a link to a page for you to peruse: http://www.chemheritage.org/EducationalServices/nylon/nylon.html 
There's much information on this site about the plant I work at, and some pretty cool visuals, as well.  Mad scientist types might also find it fascinating. Smiley 

I started off at the plant as a lowly blue-collar worker, working with and around machines that are known as spinning machines.  Again, there's more info on how the machines work, and what their purpose is at the link I provided.  Several promotions later, I am now an OSHA certified Industrial Safety Trainer at the same plant.  Everyone who steps foot on the plant site has to attend my training course and re-attend once every year.

The nylon my plant produces is used to make StainMaster carpet, military clothing/uniforms, military parachutes, that fuzzy yellow stuff covering tennis balls, and much more. 

As for hobbies, I really enjoy digital art.  I use Poser 7 and Photoshop to produce such.  I'm hoping to make some steampunk inspired art in the near future.  I'm also interested in making steampunk inspired shadow boxes and assemblages, once I get the materials necessary.  My other hobby is computer hardware and building computers.  I've built several for myself and various family members.  In fact, the computer I'm using now, I built myself. It's a whole lot of fun. Smiley  Besides all of that, I would LOVE to learn how to sew and make my own clothes, but I'm not sure how that will pan out.  One of my worst personality traits is my procrastination.  Which means, I have many great plans and aspirations, but little follow-through.  So, I'm going to work on that and actually DO some of the crafty things I have mentioned above.  Many of you here are excellent inspiration for me to get things done. 

Well, that's all I can think of for now.  Apologies for rambling on about my job so much, I have a horrible tendency to do that both online and off.

Thanks for reading!

-Crucibelle

Capt. Ambrose Cogsmith
« Reply #346 on: December 11, 2007, 03:54:19 am »

Greetings and salutations! As a historian, engineer, writer, reader, explorer, and malcontent,  I have always been a fan of anachronism. So far, I've not participated, but seeing the wonderful creations and thoughts of the fine participants of these parts, I felt compelled to join in the fun, if only infrequently.
Sky Commodore Malcolm
« Reply #347 on: December 11, 2007, 10:59:58 pm »

Good evening, gentlemen.

A practising Young Fogey, it is perhaps only natural that I aspire to Victorian ideals, and I've always had a soft-spot for the sleek simplicity and efficiency of Victorian designs.
I am currently a student at the Universitas Academicas Edinburgensis, reading Alchemy, with outside courses in Numerology, Philosophy, Celestial Natural Philosophy, and Theology.
Hobbies include bridge, hill-walking, snuffing, debating, and long lunches at the Club.

Yours,
Malcolm.
Molly Wenham
« Reply #348 on: December 12, 2007, 03:05:15 am »

Greetings, all.

Call me Molly. It's not my real name - but it's a workable enough alias. I'm an airship mechanic, stuck in Cincinnati, of all cities. Mark Twain was thoroughly right about this place, so you know. (If anyone triggers an apocalypse, come here - it won't hit for another twenty years!) Pleased to be here, it's a good distraction from my studies at this town's University....

---

Right, I couldn't keep that up with a straight face, and grinning so hard was growing painful. I actually am in Cincinnati (if anyone else is, please say so!) and at the University; studying the Classics, if you must know. Living in a city that seemingly peaked in the late nineteenth century before dying with its meatpacking industry, and perhaps was resuscitated between nineteen-twenty and nineteen-fifty before flatlining again, has certainly helped my interest in Steampunk along (not to mention Dieselpunk, but that's not polite conversation here). I've always been interested in the Victorian period; particularly in regards to fashion and the technological might-have-beens of the earliest science fiction. Today's take on everything? Simply marvelous!

I'm glad to meet you all.
Ben Hudson, Esq.
Snr. Officer

New avatar, same person.

« Reply #349 on: December 12, 2007, 08:04:38 pm »

Greetings to all of you, and I wish you a very happy stay in this wonderful land of casual anachronism, unashamed nostalgia and sometimes frightening degrees of intelligence.

Seeing all these detailed posts, I feel inspired to write somewhat more of an introduction for myself.

I am a secondary school student from England, specifically Bournemouth. This pleasant yet uninteresting town has its roots in the Victorian pleasure industry, and by that I mean holidays and covalescence, not anything more illicit, popular as it may have been for our predecessors. I have always had a love for the old-fashioned things in life; trains, fires, clockwork and so on.
Ben Hudson is my boring, yet real name. And yes, it is just Ben. No 'jamin' to be found here, I am afraid. The 'Esq.', sadly, is a mere piece of periodesque elaboration. I am neither an elder son of a knight nor a barrister, though that is indeed my intended career. In a few years time I will hopefully have grown into my incorrectly self-given title.
Steampunk thrust itself upon me all of a sudden. Having had an inexplicable desire for goggles, I came across an Instructable on making 'Steampunk Goggles', made by a member of this forum, I believe. The introduction enthralled me and reminded me of my mild obsession with airships stemming from the Crimson Skies video game. A few googles later, and I came across this smorgasbord of wonders.
My primary link with steampunk has always been with the literature and other media. I am particularily fascinated with the endless Halls of Mirrors provided by wondering what would have happened if X happened. However, on a more obvious front, I have a rather old-fashioned personality and approach to formal dress. I am working to combine this with a more steampunk casual dress. It is seeming a little scary so far, but satisfying nonetheless. The effect steampunk has had on me has so far been small but noticeable - I have made a pair of goggles (they are uncomfortable at best and will be show-pieces as soon as I can get a better pair), and I now no longer see a conflict with wearing a pocket watch with jeans and a t-shirt. The future for me, I hope, holds far more goggles and waistcoats, and a good deal more steam.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 149   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: