The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 26, 2019, 11:06:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 149   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 283560 times)
Steampunk Cybernaut
« Reply #300 on: November 11, 2007, 08:00:51 pm »

Does anyone else like the idea of an introductory thread?

Of course I personally don't mind the separate introductory posts, but I end up missing some of them. I've been on boards before where we kept an introductory thread, and it was great because you could simply check the thread and see everyone who had recently joined- with plenty of Welcomes thrown in.  Grin

Hi, My steamish persona is Irwin Willechin; Currently I am in Dallas, TX here in the USA, soon to relocate to Denver, CO.

While I've loved things steampunk for many years, I've just now created a blog and will be doing many creative projects in the realm of visual display art.  I work best at a drafting table and not a keyboard and mouse when designing; I use real paint and not digital paint; I'm changing all of my light switches to push button plates; I am retrofitting my designer's touch in general.

I am currently writing a steampunk story: A deformed Hamelin outcast teams up with an armless faerie and wood giant to storm the Pied Piper's lair...

It is great to meet everyone here and I look forward to the dialog exchange!
CD
Gunner
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #301 on: November 11, 2007, 08:31:36 pm »

hey, im CD (or Alan either one i dont really care)
i'm live in Ireland and i'm 17.
im not too sure how i came across this site but i do know (i say do know i mean pretty sure, i say pretty sure and i mean...well lets just leave it at pretty sure) that i came across it during some point of researching an art project. (i think it was while looking where to buy cogs and how to get them moving along with the rest of the project...or it might have been through a combination of datamancers site and stumble upon)...i have no clue where i was going with this...

anyway, i think that all the steampunk things look beautiful (i love antiques) and i really want a thing in a jar because they look cool and really freaky.
i'll probably need help at some point during the project, or if im really stuck i may ask for help.
em, i love reading and writing and being creative although somtimes i'm easily distracted and most times i'm slightly crazy.

i think thats it....

-_Q

- CD

p.s. any one know where i could buy smallish cogs cheaply, i need about 20 that would fit into a human face any help is really appreciated ^.^
Ravenot
« Reply #302 on: November 13, 2007, 09:41:38 am »

Cheers!

Allow me the pleasure of introductions! My name is Lucian De'Ravenot Colston, and whilst perusing informative archives for informations regarding the acquisition and constructions of a new pair of functional and sturdy ocular brass goggles, I so fortunately discovered the rich culture contained herein. I have silently studied and read the informative discourse upon here with great fervor, and find it befitting now to engage in introductions, so as to include myself in further social revelry.

I reside upon the Californian coastline of the America. I do enjoy a good discussion and can deal quite a stinging tongue-thrashing in any debate. I also like to dabble in functional steam-gadgetry and invention, and I find that I am always looking to share and expand my repertoire of skills amongst kindred tinkerers. Honorable swordsmanship and armored combat is also another skill I do employ, but I only use such skills in pleasurable sporting persuits, I assure you.

I eagerly await making the aquaintance of many of you! Here's to a jolly good time!

Regards,
Lucian De'Ravenot Colston
ColinJReed
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #303 on: November 13, 2007, 09:46:43 am »

Greetings and Salutations!

I have been a lover of steampunk for a while now but only recently was hit with the urge to cover everything i own in brass and wear goggles all the time. sadly, i have yet to cover anything in brass or wear any goggles of any sort, but hey, theres still time.

Now to the formalities.

My Name is Colin Reed, i am a senior in college and cant wait to take the "real world" by storm once i graduate in may. I am an art major with a photography emphasis and an interest is science, literature, and technology, both current and past.

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you here and to sharing all my various projects that i have underway in my head.

Cheers!

Colin
michaelbeeman
Zeppelin Captain

Covered in bees!

« Reply #304 on: November 14, 2007, 03:27:41 am »

Greetings all!

Long time listener, first time caller.
Oh, wait, that's not right!

I've been around for a little bit here, and have only just found the introductory thread. Silly me.

My names Michael and it's been a great pleasure to have found this Steam Powered Forum. I have absolutely enjoyed the discourse, seeing the wonderful gadgets of brass and steam, the beautiful and adventurous women, courageous and dashing fellows, all of it really. Like others have stated before me, I've always loved the Steampunk aesthetic, but only discovered a name for it recently. Only recently discovered others enjoyed the same things. What an absolutely wonderful thing.

I've just this weekend celebrated my Forty Fifth birthday and a grand time it was. (overnight trip to Seattle for a Mike Scott and the Waterboys concert, Annual Beeman birthday concert here in Fort Collins, Colorado, USA) I'm a closing manager for a delightfully wacky little coffee shop (Catalyst Coffee, shameless plug!) to pay the bills, but have just acquired the tools to begin learning leather working. Over the next few months I hope to add some minor metal working into my list of skills. You see, there's these custom brass and leather prescription goggles I had an idea about...

I've always followed a bit of a different drummer, sartorially, and have given up trousers about six years ago. Strictly kilts and Utilikilts unless it's a costume. My hairs a bit long and has gone all curly as it starts to gray. I've also these big monstrous sideburns that I have cultivated. Oh, yeah, and I'm covering my body with a full suit tattoo of bees.

Here's a pic. (Not for the faint of heart, you've been warned!)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyone in Northern Colorado is most welcome to drop me a line or come in for a cup of coffee, I'd be pleased to make you're acquaintance!

Guess that's it for now, I look forward to seeing you good folks around the forum! Huzzah!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 03:36:47 am by michaelbeeman » Logged

"If you can't laugh at yourself, you must not be very funny."
Stefan Freestate
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Impresario of His Own Life's Circus

« Reply #305 on: November 14, 2007, 09:23:24 am »

It'd be worth visiting Colorado just for the java and happy meeting! Cheesy

Relinquo vos liberos.
Sinjun
Snr. Officer

Cad, bounder, & all-around scoundrel

« Reply #306 on: November 14, 2007, 09:58:45 pm »

(overnight trip to Seattle...

Ach! Wish you would have had the time to meet some of the local members of the forum. Anyone brave enough to a) work up a full-body tattoo, and b) wear kilts full-time is someone I would love to meet!

More punk than steam.
Cmdr. Celia Littlechild
« Reply #307 on: November 15, 2007, 02:53:38 am »

Hello,
My name from the Steampunk name generator is Cmdr. Celia Littlechild, and this strikes me as no worse than any other persona I could choose for this messageboard, so I believe I will use it here. However, I will also answer to the name "Amy," among others.
I am newly acquainted with the Steampunk aesthetic but am enthusiastic and wish to learn more about it. I trust if I stumble too much, the good people of this forum will gently correct me?
I live in the southeastern United States with my husband, my two children and my dog. I am perhaps overfond of books (according to some), and work in a university library.
I am eager to assemble my steampunk wardrobe, but am hampered somewhat by a lack of skill as a seamstress and a lack of funds. Perhaps "bargain shoppers" among the Brass Goggles community could advise me.
I shall now go to peruse some of the postings in this community. Thank you for allowing me to join you.
dorian
« Reply #308 on: November 15, 2007, 05:03:43 pm »

Hello there  Grin My (nick)name is Delaney. I live in Portugal, in a city that is really small but which was built mostly around the railroad works so there's a fair amount of trains everywhere. My favourite things include Music, glitter, reading, hanging out with my friends and did I mention I love rock music? I'm a vegetarian and a feminist, too.
(I suck at introductions, too).
michaelbeeman
Zeppelin Captain

Covered in bees!

« Reply #309 on: November 15, 2007, 07:23:20 pm »

Cmdr. Littlechild, welcome! Noticing you live in the SE states, I believe there is a thread in Geographical helping to connect others in the region.

Welcome Dorian, as well. By the looks of your interests, you should get along famously here!

Mr. Freestate and Sinjun, I'll be joining you on the Recolonizing America thread, as I have made, just this minute, the decision to go to BM '08.

A Hearty Welcome to all our new members!
dorian
« Reply #310 on: November 15, 2007, 07:37:29 pm »

Cmdr. Littlechild, welcome! Noticing you live in the SE states, I believe there is a thread in Geographical helping to connect others in the region.

Welcome Dorian, as well. By the looks of your interests, you should get along famously here!

Mr. Freestate and Sinjun, I'll be joining you on the Recolonizing America thread, as I have made, just this minute, the decision to go to BM '08.

A Hearty Welcome to all our new members!

Thank you Smiley I certainly do hope so.
Professor Stern
« Reply #311 on: November 16, 2007, 03:02:42 pm »

Greetings, everyone, Professor Morgen Stern at your service. *Tips my hat*
Minutia
Gunner

She of Many Dolls

« Reply #312 on: November 16, 2007, 09:54:22 pm »

Hello! I'm Minutia, though I also answer to Erin. My username is derived from my fondness for obsessing over tiny details in book-to-movie adaptations and the like. I've always been interested in Neo-Victorian things, but only discovered the term "steampunk" a few years ago on Wikipedia. Other interests of mine include reading, manga and anime, collecting (though perhaps a more accurate term would be "accumulating") dolls, and drawing. I'm currently a full-time high school student.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 11:08:24 pm by Minutia » Logged

It was a dark and stormy necromantic inflatable hippopotamus...
deadspider
« Reply #313 on: November 19, 2007, 04:25:34 am »

Hello.
I stumbled onto this site a few months ago while following an external link and I read through various threads. I find myself coming back periodically so I thought I would join up. I realized I've always loved all this VSF steampunk type stuff, I just didn't know what it was called before.
I make things all the time from various odds and ends I stow away thinking 'one day I can make this into something'. Although most of the 'things' I have made are more Halloween related, I am thinking I would like to try my hand at creating some steampunk contraptions. I am happy to be here and look forward to learning!
William_Percival
« Reply #314 on: November 19, 2007, 03:19:11 pm »

Good Morrow All

Allow me to introduce myself.....

My name is William Percival.  I have for some weeks now been writing the memoirs of my steampunk adventures with the redoutable Captain Sadeian at http://www.sadeian.org

You can also access my myspace area at http://www.myspace.com/sadeianaviation.

I look forward to conversing with you on all matters steampunk!

Your humble servant

William Percival
Steampunk Flyboy
The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain

A Weird Westerner, His Own Damn Self

« Reply #315 on: November 19, 2007, 08:39:56 pm »

Searching for "Steampunk" pictures in Google I came across this piece of art, which had a "whoa cool" factor to it:

Now I'm not sure who the artist is, but whoever they are, they created something that is mysterious, beautiful, creative, and thought-provoking. I've looked at it for a long time thinking "If that were a real, working device, how would it work? What would that switch and winding key do? What's inside the box? What would the red stuff do? What's the purpose of the magnets?"

That device is a creation of the Mr Jake-Of-All-Trades, current of this very board; Its called the VictorioNixie Tube.

This page should tell you everything you would want to know about this miraculous object.

Signed,
Mr. M___ E_____ Adams
Tinkerer, Adventurer, Man of Leisure, Weird Westerner, and Cad
18--
Sgt Alistair King
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #316 on: November 19, 2007, 09:26:30 pm »

Greeting to one and all, I am new to steampunk having stumbled onto it from the story of datamancers computer mod. I go by AListair King here, but I have been know to answer to william out in the outside world. I am 39, a lawyer, or solicitor to our UK brothers. I have always been into the odd and unique, being such myself. I am in Texas, but am hoping to meet up with the SE group come Jan. Before I drive everyone into a stupor I will sign off.

Don't tell me this is another experiment crossing lines that man was not meant to cross..
Hart
Gunner

« Reply #317 on: November 20, 2007, 01:23:46 am »

That device is a creation of the Mr Jake-Of-All-Trades, current of this very board; Its called the VictorioNixie Tube.

This page should tell you everything you would want to know about this miraculous object.

Thank you so much for that link The Infernal Mr Adams!

It's a fascinating device and well done Jake of All Trades!

Think of the possibilities. Smiley
elShoggotho
« Reply #318 on: November 20, 2007, 02:03:22 am »

Greetings, my fellow Scientists!
I found these forums by chance. Someone mentioned them to me, and as an old friend of computer games like Space 1889 and Martian Dreams and role-playing games like Mage: The Ascension (playing an Electrodyne Engineer, of course) and Castle Falkenstein, it was inevitable that I joined.
The Plucky Countess
« Reply #319 on: November 22, 2007, 09:00:40 pm »

Greetings, fellow citizens of the Empire. My name is Emma Knight, but I respond to just about anything, as long as it is proper and said with respect. I've been interested in Steampunk for a while, but only in a passing manner until this year's NaNoWriMo. After spending 3 weeks immersed in a Steampunk universe of my own creation (where White Star Line has an Airship division with the flagship Gigantic ferrying the well heeled and immigrants alike across the Atlantic), I decided to venture out and see what other worlds were out there. I have received a great deal of joy in perusing this board (particularly the lovely garb in the dressing up thread), and I look forward to participating.

My screenname comes from a fondness for the Countess of Rothes, who gained fame from taking the tiller of Titanic's lifeboat 8. She seems like she would fit well within a world where ladies can be mad scientists and tinkerers as well as the gentlemen.
Pembren
« Reply #320 on: November 25, 2007, 06:01:54 am »

Hello everybody! I am new to this site, although I have been spying on it for quite some time. I don't know all too much about steampunk, or even crafting, but I hope to learn from the people here!  Cheesy.
Panny Dreadful
« Reply #321 on: November 26, 2007, 12:27:46 am »

Good day, one and all!

I'm a new forumite;  42 years old, currently resident in New Zealand but soon relocating to the USA (Chicago).  I work in the theatre and education industries and am a semi-professional writer, as in, I self-publish books on various obscure topics and have had several articles published.

I've been drawing towards steampunk for a long time, via various other interests that seem to have coalesced into a general "Victoriana + imagination = fun" point of view. 

Looking forward to discussions here  Smiley

SHJ
Prof. Edward Penrose
Officer
Chile Chile

Mobilis In Mobile

« Reply #322 on: November 29, 2007, 04:38:44 am »

Hi! I'm 34 y.o. civil engineer who loves technology, and since I'm a romantic person, I love those old fashioned brass gadgets! I recently discovered the Steampunk style (in the internet), and I just fell in love with it! I use to play minigames during my workbreaks; one of my favorites is Rail of War. I was searching in the web some extra information about this game, and I found a good review in the Brass Goggles page. The word Steampunk caught my attention ... so I started a search in Wikipedia ... And I realized I'd been always a very Steampukished person! I love the retrofuturistic style, old school machinery, Goth music and Victorian buildings! (I think it's an heir from my father who's an amateur electrician and my grandfather who worked with trains). So I just want to say thanks to Brass Goggles for set my tastes in the right place!

Mmm, about me ...

- Favorite band: Collide.
- Favorite hour of the day: morning.
- Favorite model: Betty Page   Grin.
- Favorite game: All those with a Do It Yourself twist (specially machines like cars and robots).
- Favorite clothing: Mmm ... leather (specially brown).

Contessa Ellen Graves
« Reply #323 on: November 29, 2007, 04:03:32 pm »

Contessa Ellen Graves, gentlewoman adventurer, at your service!
(Or, when not decrying the failure of modern deathrays, Eleanor)
Based largely in a town in Essex, UK, currently studying at the university there. The library has a remarkable pair of Paternoster Lifts, something to be experienced at least once in a lifetime.
I joined the forums primarily because, though I have no technical ability, I adore Steampunk- the mythos, the aesthetic, the excuse to cackle and build deathrays. Also because the Steampunk livejournal communities are increasingly full of posts about boots.
I have a terrible habit of doodling Steampunk when I ought to be studying the Enlightenment, leading to neatly drawn images of a collapsible mechanical wing-set and fully inked images of various mad-science characters. One in particular has become a recurring theme, and has a pirate style flag of cog and crossed-spanners.
My interest in Steampunk was sparked by the computer game 'Arcanum- Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura', because little pleased me more than having a matched pair of mechanised arachnids at my beck and call. Discovery of the Girl Genius comic added to this, and a distintly Victorian edge in my fashion tastes sealed my fate. The screen-name is a name I've completed Arcanum with and decided to adopt as a 'persona'. I look forward to future conversations on these boards!
Philetus T. Flambuginous
« Reply #324 on: November 29, 2007, 08:25:23 pm »

Greetings and felicitations Gentlemen and -women;
   Please allow me to introduce myself:  Philetus T. Flambuginous, esq. At your and your Family's service!
I am the owner and Master of the Good Airship Hermione.  For eighteen years now, my wife, the Lady B. and I have  piloted her along the sometimes stormy and turbulent airways of Fromagia (known to the uninitiated as Wisconsin).  Along with our children and jolly crew, we have had countless adventures and tragedies but through it all, the good ship has persevered and come through this long journey called "Life".
  I must admit that I have been lurking this forum for a mighty long time and have just now decided to add my own voice to your repartee.  I hope to get to know you all much better in the time to come.
  I shall leave it at this short introduction for now and bid you all a fond "Farewell".

~Philetus~
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 149   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: