The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 08, 2019, 08:45:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 149   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 293642 times)
Lady Vivian Brock
« Reply #275 on: October 31, 2007, 05:31:42 pm »

Hi, My name is Adina, and I'm interested in the steampunk culture
" Hi Adina! "

but really, I had no idea what steampunk was until recently, but when I did it explained my love of goggles and boots, gears and antiques, and impecably well dressed people. I'm a theatrical carpenter and designer by trade, but being located in the middle of Wisconsin does nothing for my trade. Instead I am working part time as an event planner for public radio and working freight in retail hell (where i have to dress nicer then at my desk job. explain that one to me!)

I recently married (translates to a four day weekend from my summer resident theatre gig in Door County) and love working with my hands and can't wait to buy more clothes suitable to a steamy lifestyle. (I have a feeling my retail job will aide in that endeavor.)
GypsyGurl
Officer
Australia Australia

A Dancer with Steampunk tendencies...

« Reply #276 on: November 01, 2007, 11:16:12 am »

Apologies - have already started posting but then discovered this thread (so much to distract one from being polite...)

So then, I have always had penchant for Medieval/Gothic/Victorian/Nouveau/Deco period attire and culture and an equal love of both historical reality and fantasy. I have always had a fascination for workings of stuff but not really considered myself smart enough to explore that fascination ('tis a long story).

And after many years of BORING government policy work I now find myself working as a Project Co=ordinator in IT (which I adore!) and bridging the gap between the IT Geeks (love'em) and Business customers (the boring ones).

Apart from work, I love to dance. I am a dancer who loves to experiment and together with my dance partner (of GypsyNoir) I have been incorporating the stylistic elements of what I love into our costuming, musical choices and characterisations. The most recent creation are our 'Clockwork Dollies' and with these girls I have found that my little creative Zeppelin has now crashed firmly into the lush depths that is the rippling oceans of Steampunk!

And so here I am...diggin' it  Cool
Hmmm, Oh and my husband 'Archi' may be passing by this way soon in his very own Zeppelin of fancy....

"If you'll release restrain me, whatever you ask for ransom, you'll get it I promise you." What Princess Buttercup (The Princess Bride) SHOULD have said...
Captain_Sadeian
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Smuggler, inventor, Mechalchemical Artisan

« Reply #277 on: November 01, 2007, 01:39:04 pm »

I like Gypsygurl should also apologise as I also jumped straight in posting before introducing myself. I go by the name Captain J. B. Sadeian in the world of steampunk, but otherwise I am known as James. I think I first discovered my love for what I would now call steampunk after watching Doctor Emmett L. Brown in back to the future three and so a childhood longing for his gun, time travelling steam train, etc. ended up personified as my steampunktech prop creations and indeed my Sadeian Coalition stories. After being a long time lurker I have finally signed up on the advice of a few people who have seen my creations.

My stories and some of my creations (more soon to be added) can be viewed at http://www.sadeian.org

Join the coalitions fight against enemies from the Aether!
A free online steampunk adventure!
www.sadeian.org
hbowman
« Reply #278 on: November 01, 2007, 06:44:01 pm »

I'd come up with a pseudonym, except that is not the sort of engagement I have with the genre.

I'm married and live in Southern California. My wife is also into the genre, but to a lesser degree. She is more into costume and prop manufacture than I, however.

Besides reading a bit of generally old fiction in the genre and watching the odd movie, we have played in steampunk live games and written one such game. The costuming and prop work is more or less exclusive to those, with a couple of costume party exceptions back in the mid 1990s. With two little kids, our time has gotten tight. We might do something for the next Strategicon convention in February.

I work in downtown LA during the middle of the week, but usually my schedule precludes evening get togethers because I have to fetch my kids. Weekend events work best, or lunch, I suppose.
Leo
Gunner

Gravatar

Hot fog!

« Reply #279 on: November 01, 2007, 10:27:56 pm »

Hello.

I'm David. I'm another one who's new to steampunk, although once I discovered what the word means I realised I've loved it for most of my fifty years. Glass and brass glowing in the firelight, while the clock ticks slowly and I sink into the armchair and live whichever adventure I happen to be reading or writing.

Pleased to meet you all.
Difference Engineer
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Not steampunk, but an incredible soy substitute.

« Reply #280 on: November 02, 2007, 04:34:26 am »

I never had any facility with introductions, which is why I kept putting off the act of writing up an introductory post to this forum.

The name I use most often is Bryce, and I do not know where I first heard the term 'steampunk'.. maybe it was reading a review of The Difference Engine when it was published.  It could easily have been in a periodical like Asimov's Science Fiction, or perhaps it was somewhere else entirely.  What I do know is that I always had a love of the offbeat, the eccentric, the larger than life, and the fact that I believe to this day that someone working night and day in a workshop could accomplish wonderous things and yet still get out to have grand adventures.  I suppose that comes when one grows up reading novels by Gibson, the various writers who took the pen name of "Victor Appleton (the $ordinal)", E.E. 'Doc' Smith, and "Kenneth Robeson".  I also love costumes and dressing up in fine (albeit slightly eccentric) clothing.

Also, for many of the same reasons, I derive much the same enjoyment many get from fantasy novels or comic books from reading books about 'aether science' and suchlike.  None of it may be workable in a practical sense, but it can also inspire poetry, short stories, and best of all characters.  In short, I find such books fun and dreamy and a nice way to escape on a rainy evening after work.

It was not until Saloncon two years ago that I knew that there were other people out there who wore waistcoats, pocket watches, and top hats, and had an appreciation for baroque gadgets.  For a change I felt like I actually fit in somewhere and it was not simply being in the right place at an unusual time.

But I ramble, which I sometimes do when there is a veritable landslide of ideas attempting to pack themselves into a single means of depiction.

I do not know what else I could say here - that I am designing a pocket watch/USB key/UV flashlight that was inspired by the innards of my grandfather's treasured brass anniversary clock and something that I read about in one of Wilhelm Reich's books, that I love to sew and have plans drawn up for a number of suits, or that I am trying to break some deep conditioning by not trying to go unnoticed, but go out and see people and do things.

Thank you for your time, and I hope that I am welcome here.

"You look like you're about to jump in your gyrocopter or something."
--Anonymous coworker
Sir Archimedes Montrose
« Reply #281 on: November 02, 2007, 01:22:27 pm »

Well, I say!  Good show!

There are people out there!  Just like me! Well... err... not like the rest of humanity anyway...

I live in Australia with my lovely wife GypsyGurl (also posted a few posts ago).  I'm a public servant business analyst kinda guy, some days it's good and some days it's bad...

The first two books I remember reading without pictures in them was H.G. Well's collected works and Jules Verne's 20,000 leagues under the sea.  I love space opera (but there's gotta be a bit of grunge - I've never liked the cleanliness of Star Trek for instance...) and good old fantasy.  But there's something about the image of a darkened London street with some strange brass contraption scuttling into the darkness while a chundering growl overhead heralds the evening Zeppelin from Glasgow...

I'm fascinated by all the extraordinarily dangerous things scientists used to do in the interest of scientific progress (scientists dying of mercury poisoning from extracting gases in mercury baths - Marie Curie dying of radiation poisoning discovering Curium for example); amazed by the machinery that was built by skilled artisans.

And to cap it all off, they created unique pieces of art at the same time!  I have no craftsman or engineering skills, but I want them... I want to give ideas life in metal and glass, cloth and leather.

I'm also a singer, and want to explore the steampunk sound, or create a new steampunk sound...  Small ambitions!

A little absinthe,
A flourish of a cane,
A gleam of gaslight on brass...

Sir Archimedes Montrose IV has stepped out on stage!
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #282 on: November 02, 2007, 09:44:48 pm »

Hello.

I'm David. I'm another one who's new to steampunk, although once I discovered what the word means I realised I've loved it for most of my fifty years. Glass and brass glowing in the firelight, while the clock ticks slowly and I sink into the armchair and live whichever adventure I happen to be reading or writing.

Pleased to meet you all.

Hello boss!

Lots of people say this. A word was needed and it would appear that now a word has been made, so that people can finally go "ah, so that's what this feeling is, yes. It is steampunk." I wonder how many more feelings are awaiting a word? Awaiting clarification and capsulation? Sorry a minor philosophical moment, but this is a time to be remembered, the birth of another way of seeing.

Welcome to the boards sir.

Leo
Gunner

Gravatar

Hot fog!

« Reply #283 on: November 02, 2007, 11:04:27 pm »

Thank you for your warm and philosophical welcome, Clym. You are a gent. And, yes, I feel that way precisely.
Elle
« Reply #284 on: November 03, 2007, 01:14:22 am »

Hello there!

Aproximately one week ago, I discovered what I had and intrest in had a name... and I must say it's a very warm feeling.  It's nice to see many others with the same intrests. ^_^

I'll point out right away that I'm afraid of most types of large tools, have never tampered with any sort of steam engine, and generaly refrain from taking apart clocks.  But what I lack mechanical know-how, I make up for with a general love for the steam atmosphere. I don't think I precisely live the "steampunk lifestyle", but my life-long tastes naturally point me that direction.   

I am a high-school senior (and I am itching to graduate!).  I suppose you could call me an "amature artist", with plans to persue a career in that field.  I also love music, and play several instruments including electric/acoustic guitar, electric bass, and clarinet.  And of course, I love to read!  Put a book in front of my nose, and I am dead to the world for hours.

It's wonderful to meet all of you!  I think I'll enjoy myself here immensley.           
Hart
Gunner

« Reply #285 on: November 04, 2007, 05:10:26 am »

Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen.

I'm Hart, and I love Steampunk.

First off thank you for having this forum, which I have enjoyed perusing through over the past couple of days. There are many talented artists here, and you share your talents and ideas so freely, it's refreshing to say the least.

I've loved the genre for years now, but only recently found it referred to as Steampunk in another forum, and searched a bit to find this place.

Searching for "Steampunk" pictures in Google I came across this piece of art, which had a "whoa cool" factor to it:

Now I'm not sure who the artist is, but whoever they are, they created something that is mysterious, beautiful, creative, and thought-provoking. I've looked at it for a long time thinking "If that were a real, working device, how would it work? What would that switch and winding key do? What's inside the box? What would the red stuff do? What's the purpose of the magnets?"

I'm like a kid in awe of a magical device here lol. Now I understand it's only art, but it's the creativity and imagination involvement with this that I admire.

I'd love to be able to spend some time to create some art similar to this, and I have some free time now to devote to it. I've seen some great tips from all of you in the Tactile section, and have read about some other tips on other sites. One of the best was the demonstration of how to make what looks like a marble base for a computer monitor that involves gluing a paper copy of a picture of marble on wood. That's neat.   Smiley

I was up untill 3 this morning printing several high quality images of different types of marble lol. Wow.

Well, I'm thinking of making some artwork over the next few months and hope to be able to post up some pictures of them here. Onward and Upward!

Think of the possibilities. Smiley
strangeseraph
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

Ta Da!

« Reply #286 on: November 05, 2007, 12:34:33 pm »

Hi all, I'm Jay Lee, from Canada eh? Wink

My activities in Steampunk lies mostly in my Writing, Art and Music. I plan to eventually start recording tracks, if I can ever save up enough money for a Mac!

Oh yeah, I would adore to have a steam punk keyboard and monitor just like these,
http://steampunkworkshop.com/keyboard.shtml
http://steampunkworkshop.com/lcd.shtml

But I cannot afford his stuff, and I'm not the least bit capable of doing mods like he does. I'm stick in plastic land for the time being. -.-

I do want to get a Mac Mini, its tiny and can easily be hidden inside a victorian hatbox or the like. The closest bit of steampunk decor I have is a lamp on the wall that imitates a gass lamp. It has the nifty brass and glass design, but it has an electric bulb of course (came with the apartment. Cheesy)

Would like tips for being more steampunky. My laptop desk is something I assembled and put together, its very modern, but its all wood and metal in style and just sort of hints at that kind of technology. I'll have to take a picture of it when I get a decent camera.

Right now I'm doing NaNoWriMo which is tough. I didn't realize until I'd written a fair deal, that the Martians of my novel live in a mostly steam and copper/brass society. Very cools. Smiley Almost inspired to keep working at it. Its hard to be inspired to write, every single day, the same thing. I don't really work that way.

Anyways, glad to be here! Yay! Yet another forum to add to my collection on my personal bar. XD

All the best.

-=-=- Jay Lee -=-=-
Judith
« Reply #287 on: November 05, 2007, 02:41:03 pm »

Greetings

I've been lurking for a few days and signed up today. It was a pressing need to know about watch-cleaning that made me dare to take the plunge.

I'm 21 years of age, living with two cats in a small apartment, spending my time watching more TV than I would like. I knit and sew and have recently started working with wood. Two to three times a week I practice Shorinji Kempo, which is good fun.

I found steampunk a few weeks ago and it made me happy, so I looked up more about it and here I am. I might not BE as steampunk as I'd like (both look-wise and tinkering wise) but I greatly admire all the creativity in this community.
Ettie
« Reply #288 on: November 05, 2007, 03:52:50 pm »

Hello!! welcome all! Smiley
jellystapler
« Reply #289 on: November 07, 2007, 12:08:53 am »

heya everyone!
glad to be here!!

I'm 22, live with friends in a place called "newtown" in Australia, which is supposed to be the "trendy" part of Sydney. its kind of cool, cause you can dress like a sky-pirate and walk down the street, and no one cares.
but, trendy often equals jerky, and that is true of newtown.
um...i have a futurama tattoo on my leg, and a specials (band) tattoo on my arm.

em...i work in i.t. admin, which is "fun"...and by "fun" i mean dreary and mindnumbing.

hope everyone is awesome here, Ive been looking for a forum to join for a while, but almost all of them have elite people who lord over everyone else, and, lets face it, we live in a democracy, not a dictatorship.

Smiley
GypsyGurl
Officer
Australia Australia

A Dancer with Steampunk tendencies...

« Reply #290 on: November 07, 2007, 12:44:53 am »

heya everyone!
glad to be here!!
I'm 22, live with friends in a place called "newtown" in Australia, which is supposed to be the "trendy" part of Sydney. its kind of cool, cause you can dress like a sky-pirate and walk down the street, and no one cares.

Hello jellystapler!
Newtown is my most favourite place in Sydney and we often head up there for events...great shopping (Gallery Serpentine) and great food and definitely great Eye Candy with all those Sky Pirates, Goths, Punks and any other gorgeous non mundane you care to mention just strolling along Enmore/King st - Love it!!!
GG
Flynn MacCallister
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Mad SCIENTIST!

« Reply #291 on: November 07, 2007, 01:44:30 am »

Seconded. Or thirded, or something.
Grimnir
« Reply #292 on: November 07, 2007, 04:43:13 am »

As Elle said above, I discovered only recently that this strange fascination of mine had a name, and a family of sorts. That would be you! I'm Nick, and along with my studies in physics and mathematics I venture into the prehistory of science (alchemy and its ilk), and dabble with alternate reality games and emerging social phenomena. While I'm largely ignorant of the ways of building, I intend to construct my own instruments and apparatus as soon as I learn to cut brass and shape glass. That said, hello steampunk forum folk!
Jacqueline Hyde
« Reply #293 on: November 08, 2007, 02:01:38 am »

Hi everyone!

I am a twenty-something living in Pittsburgh whilst working on a PhD (emphasis in Macromolecular Biophysics and a minor in Higher Education). With the little free time I have, I help my gentleman friend with his chain mail business, tend to my cat, rabbit, and plethora of plants, alternate between studies in Middle Eastern Dance (tribal style) and various martial arts, read, and Make Things. I am a deplorable cook and set the kitchen on fire as often as not.

Like many have said in this thread, discovering Steampunk was very much an "oh, that's what it is called" moment for me. My original love of science came from those lovely "Scientific Romances" of the Victorian era, Tesla's biographies, and tales of the early "dinosaur hunters". My actual thesis work is far removed from these in subject and aesthetic, but I do my best to approach it in a similar spirit... much to my PI's consternation.

Good Day, all!
Govenor Stanley Cobb
Gunner

« Reply #294 on: November 08, 2007, 08:44:52 pm »

Hi All,

I've just recently had the pleasure of discovering Steampunk.

I've always been into engineering and mechanical magickery, but discovered Steampunk after playing Myst and being inspired by the fantastic contraptions in the game (how I'd love to live in a house like Tomahna!)

Looking forward to Steampunk things around the home, grand plans at the moment but little time or resources to do it.

I've decided to use my Steampunk name from the Generator.

Govenor Stanley Cobb
Ruby Kirkbride
« Reply #295 on: November 09, 2007, 05:05:58 pm »

Hello everyone,

I've been a steampunk fan for awhile with more of an interest in the Weird West (my boyfriend being from Wyoming does, admittedly, have part of the reason for it); I live in Connecticut in the USA so I've developed a mixture of 'blue blood Yank' with 'Western girl' both in reality as well as my steampunk persona. Otherwise, I'm an avid reader, linguist and philologist; I speak 13 languages in varying degrees of fluency and am addicted to words. I used to work in international relocation and currently work at an affinity marketing company.

I'm learning how to sew--currently my method is "learn to try something by making dog toys" (button holes, blind hems, pleats... my dog has it all, stuffed with squeakers". Eventually, I would like to be sewing my own attire, but that is in a future far from now. I have a 1.5yr old dog (a shiba inu), a ball (or royal) python (about 3 yrs old) and a New Caledonian crested gecko.

I hope to start hitting some of the NYC-based events, as I live about an hour out by train, and actually meeting folks face to face. Smiley
mine
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #296 on: November 09, 2007, 10:21:49 pm »

I speak 13 languages in varying degrees of fluency and am addicted to words.
Damn! That's a lot! What languages do you know?
VerilliumJupiter
« Reply #297 on: November 10, 2007, 12:52:42 am »

I speak 13 languages in varying degrees of fluency and am addicted to words.
Damn! That's a lot! What languages do you know?

What Languages DONT you know?  Shocked
junkdrawer
« Reply #298 on: November 10, 2007, 01:09:29 am »

I'm taking the title of the thread literally and introducing myself.

Hi.

I'm fairly new to the world of Steampunk, but I've acclimated quickly and have a great fondness for the look and feel of it. I also really enjoy scratchbuilding and coming up with new ideas. Hopefully I'll be able to add to the already fabulous contributions made to the site.

I have two... no, three projects jostling around in my head and I hope to let them out very soon. I can, in fact, confide I've already purchased a se of goggles and hope to lose my Steampunk... innocence, shortly.

I'll be sure and fill you in on my accomplishments as they are achieved.
Cheers!
Ozairon
« Reply #299 on: November 10, 2007, 10:48:14 pm »

Hello. My name is Ozairon, but just Oz is fine. I have taken a recent interest in steampunk in general and came upon through forum through a link posted in another forum I go on. I have a couple of ideas for projects in my head, however I don't know when I will be able to try any of them. I hope I have a good time here :3
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 149   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: