The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 16, 2019, 05:19:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 149   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 285099 times)
TinkererInTraining
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #250 on: October 12, 2007, 02:20:24 pm »

Hi, I just recently rediscovered my like of goggles, gears, cogs, and of course steam while looking for a pair of goggles for my costume. I've always been fascinated by the intricate workings of clockwork and the seemingly inordinate amount of levers, dials, buttons, cranks, and what have you of steam engines. And well the goggles are just cool.

I just never knew there was a whole sub-culture devoted entirely to this interest. I welcome the thought of joining you and maybe showing some of my projects at a later date in time.

Curiosity killed the cat, satisfaction brought him back, then he ate my brain.

Give me a big enough lever and I'll beat the problem into submission.
The Mechatronist
« Reply #251 on: October 14, 2007, 03:25:46 am »

Ladies and Gentleman of the Brass Goggles Forum:

My name is Weston and I see that I am nearly old enough to be grandfather to some of you.  However, I have never let that keep me from thinking young.
I can modestly claim the titles of Mechatronist, Writer and Inventor.  As a practitioner of the art and science of mechatronics – the blending of mechanics and electronics, I can legitimately claim the title of Mechatronist.  Indeed, the name was suggested or - bestowed - by the editor as the title for a regular column that I write in the Digital Machinist magazine.    Also, The Government of the United States has issued documents recognizing me as the Inventor of a certain device powered by a clock spring.   

I must confess to a past ignorance of the term Steampunk.  However, once introduced, I discovered that the peculiar habits, sympathies and sensibilities I practice, find similar expression here.  I hope to contribute when I can be useful, but also seek inspiration from the creativity I see in this place.
Mad Maxine
Zeppelin Captain

I'm the one in the hat.

« Reply #252 on: October 14, 2007, 05:31:24 am »

Photograph by Viona | Dress & model: Vecona - Yes, I do have her telephone number

Shocked  My goodness! You have her telephone number, you say? I may just have to call her and ask her to be my wife!

She reminds me of a cute little sea chanty:

1) As I went out one evening
Upon a night's career.
I spied a lofty clipper ship'
And to her I did steer.
I hoisted out my signals,
Which she so quickly knew;
For when she saw my bunting fly
She immediately hove to.

Chorus:
She had a dark and a rovin' eye,
And her hair fell down in ringlets
She was a nice girl, a popular girl
But one of the roamin' kind.    

2) I took her for some fish and chips
And treated her so fine
And hardly did I realise
She was the roamin'' kind
I kissed her lips, I missed her lips
And found to my surprise
She was nothing but a pirate ship
Dressed up in a disguise.

Chorus:

3) Now come all ye good sailor men
Who sail the wintery sea
And come all ye apprentice lads
Fair warning take from me
Beware of lofty clipper ships
They'll be the ruin of you
For 'twas then she made me walk the plank
And pushed me under too.

Chorus:

Dedicated to the destruction and repair of objects in the name of curiosity.
1helios1
Officer

« Reply #253 on: October 14, 2007, 07:34:00 am »

my name is Terry Hollister. i am 17, and training to be a machinist. i have always loved steam punk, but until just recently i did not know to call it that, or that there was such an ingenious fan base. needless to say the vary fact that all you lovely people exist makes me quite happy. i also love music, rain, the ocean, and politely acting like i am better than other people. because, well, i am. i write a bit (not very well), read a bit (i dare say i am pretty good at that), and spend the rest of my time tinkering (no to productive so far, but i am trying so terribly hard).
Waz
« Reply #254 on: October 15, 2007, 03:25:05 am »

Salutations Mesdames and Messieurs

My name is Meg.  I am twenty years old, and am currently studying biology.  I have been drawn to steampunk as far back as I can remember.  I grew up playing Myst (et cetera), and watching the BBC mini-series Gormenghast (thank heavens for Mervyn Peake).  I remember having an all out tantrum in an office supply store one day when my mother refused to purchase for me a brass and maple nib-pen.  I was 10.

I spend a good deal of my time on the computer looking for crafts.  I am an avid crocheter, there is something very soothing about organic wools (Stevie Nicks and Don Henley can have their Leather and Lace - Give me Brass and Wool).  In fact, that is how I came across this forum, looking for something to craft.  I found a magnificent fish bowl.   My desire to create is what brought me hear.  I shall have to dig out my sewing machine (and perhaps start my clockwork crafting by modifying it?) so I can work on some period pieces.  I have always been adept with tools and machines.  Machines, mind you, not electronics, although I am more computer savvy than the average user. 

When I was young(er) I roleplayed a lot, mostly medieval fantasy.  Somewhere between the ages of 15 and 19 I lost the ability to write (well).  Perhaps I lost that certain level of courage anonymity lends ones sense of creativity.  A good story might inspire me, however.

I am particularly interested in animals.  I currently live with a dog, four cats, five rats, and a leopard gecko named Copernicus.  I love animals, and love learning about them.  I also love eating them.  Animals are delicious.  I am currently working on obtaining from a friend of mine a stuffed peacock.  He is fantastic.

That should give you enough of an introduction to me.
This place is wonderful.

Regards,
Waz.
Klynt Mahryd
Zeppelin Admiral

Wanted for Piracy of the Skies and Wanton Mischief

« Reply #255 on: October 16, 2007, 05:25:20 am »

Greetings! My name is Klynt Mahryd and I am an accomplished Sky Pirate and a scoundrel.

Haha, ok, my name is Clinton and I've been reading the blog and lurking around the forums for quite some time now.

What got me into steampunk? Well, I enjoy all things "retro" and "used." As a kid, I used to watch videotapes of Indiana Jones and Star Wars all the time. I grew to like the 1930s-1940s WWII aspect of Indiana Jones and I've explored other things such as Crimson skies and Return to Castle Wolfenstein, which are very dieselpunk. I learned to love anachronistic technology and zeppelins and things like that and I've been watching the internet and noticed the Steampunk mods of Mr. Datamancer and others. Found Brass Goggles through a link on BoingBoing and, well, here I am! While I've always loved dieselpunk(or as I sometimes like to call it, decopunk or pulppunk) I enjoy steampunk as well, with the zeppelins, the awesomely complicated machines and the just plain awesome anachronistic madness of it all! I guess, I could say that I'm a coinnerseur of punkery Cool

Oh, and did I mention that I live in a Victorian house in a historic town? That helps alot.  Grin
Corvus
« Reply #256 on: October 16, 2007, 02:49:45 pm »

Greetings, salutations and welcome to this, your humble Illustrated Guide to the Tracking and Understanding of the Tala

So you've decided to hunt the elusive Tala.  Congratulations! Like all big game, the Tala must be understood before any attempted pursuit.  Tala is a rather eccentric sort of game animal native to the Colorado region of the United States of America, but with heavily nomadic tendencies held in check only by real-world obligations.  In this so-called "real world", the Tala is a common denizen of college campuses, wherein it is heavily associated with the areas of Microbiology, Biological and Biomedical Science.   This season, sightings of this tricksy game animal are most common within the hallowed walls of the university library (wherein the game appears in a state similar to this) or in cadaver lab (watch for bright blue gloves and extreme bouts of morbid fascination and humor).  Take caution in tracking the Tala on campus, as it is a very menacing beast that displays strong, nigh dangerous mad scientist tendencies. It may be best to pursue your prey off campus- most commonly, the Tala can be found wandering the Colorado hills or entrenched in her den with wirecutters in one hand and pliers in the other.  When hunting it is important to realize that the Tala is known to disguise itself in all sorts of elaborate frippery; do not allow these games to distract you from your prize.

Hobbies of the Tala include reading, studying, blogging, making any manner of things, travel, studying, music, amateur photography, studying more, writing, violin and other frivolous animal pursuits.  Interests of the Tala include history (with many particular fascinations including piracy, Egyptology, and the industrial revolution), infectious diseases, arts and crafts, raising hell, all things shiny and conquering the world.

The Tala can be subdued by shiny gagetry, well-filled flasks, ice cream, books, fancy ships and costumry (particularly corsets).  Furthermore, the Tala's attentions can often be occupied by anything shiny, beautiful or in some way unusual or intriguing (hunters included).  Finally, the Tala is insufferably vain and thus easily distracted via camera or mirror.  A responsible hunter should be sure to keep all such temptations in stock, to prevent disaster in his or her dealings with this strange beast.

Be smart and keep your wits about you, and you may succeed where so many other hunters have (miserably, painfully, and bloodily) failed and bring home a stuffed-and-mounted Tala to awe your friends and inflame your enemies!  But beware!  The Tala is ultimately a crafty and dangerous brute with many unpredictable weapons at her disposal, and should only be regarded from a safe distance by all but the most stalwart souls.  Hunt at your own peril.
A.R. McRae
« Reply #257 on: October 17, 2007, 06:30:25 am »

Salutations and huzzah!

My name is A.R. McRae, and I am an author along with a struggling Hollywood newbie and a maker (and lover) of props.  I know a couple of other members here from another forum I frequent (Juno and Darthsaber, greetings!)

I have gone costuming before, several times in fact, often for Halloween, a few times at Disneyland, and most sincerely in breeches and boots and doublet for our Good Queen Bess. My parents before me have been Civil War reenactors as well as Old West stunt show performers, so the tradition is in the blood.

I hope you all find me as pleasant as my lurking has found you to be. 

Good day,

A.R. McRae
Sir Newt Sixsmith
Gunner

« Reply #258 on: October 18, 2007, 07:04:29 am »

The accursed obligatory introduction, bane of my exsistence...

Ur, I mean, hiyas! Wink
There's not much to tell, I like cogs and wheels and steam oh my. Smiley
I only recently-ish got into steampunk, but despite my brevity of acquaintance with it I find my mind to have come smitten with steampunk thoughts and a cursory glance at the Brass Goggles blog can excite me to new end.
So to conclude, hiyas!

PS I got the name from the Steampunk Name Generator, which was convenient cause my imagination seems to have left me at the moment.

Never underestimate the advantages of top hats.
Never underestimate the value of a good cape.
Always overestimate the hero. That goes double if he has a sidekick, triple if it is a monkey.
Stefan Freestate
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Impresario of His Own Life's Circus

« Reply #259 on: October 18, 2007, 11:43:58 am »

Stefan Freestate, Esquire!

~

Daredevil Captain of the Anachronaut

Self-styled Grand Master of the Antipodean Society of Dilettanti

Compère Beyond Compare

and

Impresario of his Own Life's Circus

~

At your service.

Or, if you like, Steven Callahan: single dad and rather ordinary system engineer in a very dull city on the other side of the planet. A bicycle-mad, cat-fancying bookworm who is obsessed with waistcoats (on me), corsetry (on you) and most forms of alcohol.

Drop by and say hullo to me on Facebook sometime... Smiley

Relinquo vos liberos.
Muldan
Gunner

« Reply #260 on: October 19, 2007, 11:43:41 pm »

hey i'm Pavlak, student in a small NY town. always was interested in steampunk but just found out there was a whole subculture around it (along with a name). found out about the site thru a link a friend sent me, perfect timeing too since me and a friend had just come up with this wierd "steampunk meets the terminator thing" but im hopeing to be here for a long while.

H.A.S Calf will travel
Miss Groves
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

running out of steam

« Reply #261 on: October 20, 2007, 04:13:12 pm »

Meep, i so fail at Intros....
about me...errr...
Historical re-enactor, medieval to Edwardian
costume nut, makes all kinds of things...i have 1870's, 1880's and 1890's patterns exploding all over the house along with fabric...
I've made jewellery, done bellydancing, draw manga badly and collect creepy resin dolls.

I saw the steampunk adaptation of a laptop and fell in love with the whole thing...just seems to have clicked.
so, err, yeah, that's me...

Happy Solar Circumnavigation Day!
"Art in the blood is liable to take the strangest of forms." - Sherlock Holmes
Let's eat Grandpa. Let's eat, Grandpa. Punctuation can save someone's life.
£5 out of £295 for a metal clay kiln : ( 
Contessa de Vestibule
« Reply #262 on: October 20, 2007, 06:50:08 pm »

Hello all,

As an introduction here are a few things about me;

I work as a professional comic artist with a day job as an art technician (to ensure the rent on my garret gets paid on time each month!). As well as being handy with a brush/pencil/Wacom pen, I also sew clothing and any other practical craft I'm interested in turning my hand to- I have a love of jumping straight into a new craft with a difficult project. It's the strong DIY/crafty element of steampunk that's a major draw for me- I am extremely pleased to see a subculture develop that embraces and encourages it so strongly.

I reside in Bethnal Green in London, which has an extremely old and colourful history, particularly during the Victorian era. The area that I live in,for example, was reknown for it's notorious slums back in those days, which were the spur for welfare reforms at the time. I absolutely love this place  Grin

Hopefully I'll be posting some of my outfits and creations in the near future.
benthic
« Reply #263 on: October 21, 2007, 04:15:17 pm »

Greetings,

Like several others here amongst the forum, I too am a comic artist by day. I dabbled in traditional animation in college but have always had a place inside of me that aspired to do sequential art, so I've taken to that, in addition to countless day jobs over the years. I moved to New York last year and the city is amazing; soaked in history and covered in cast iron and beautiful browns and reds (Brooklyn, hup hup!). I'm just taking my first steps into DIY, which has also interested me for ages, since I've always wanted to design the clothing and costumes my characters would wear. I'm also in the character creation and rough drafting processes of a steampunk comic/webcomic, which I hope to get feedback on and stir interest for on these fine forums.

Cheers!
floyd pinkerton
« Reply #264 on: October 24, 2007, 10:59:32 pm »

Hi guys, I'm new in this town  Smiley

It all started for me a few years ago, when I started playing Warmachine, a steampunk minatures wargame which you may or may not have heard of. This lead me to look at more steampunk, and I washed up here.

I got into Warmachine by playing Warhammer 40,000 a gothic sci-fi wargame, which is the basis of the PC game 'Dawn of War'.

I have also previouly dabbled in cyberpunk, thanks to another wargame in the Warhammer 40,000 'genre' called Necromunda, a gang-fighting game with a strong Industrial/Cyberpunk feel.

Before I knew I liked steampunk, or knew what SP was, I read A series of unfortunate events, and the Northern Lights Books (Golden Compass in the USA)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 11:02:31 pm by floyd pinkerton » Logged
Kitten Brigadier
Silent Majority
Zeppelin Captain

I follow rule #9

ninjaelvie
« Reply #265 on: October 25, 2007, 03:02:22 am »

Typing fatigue has set in, excuse my lazy form filling-out;

Name: Kitten "Kitty"

DOB: 3/7/1990

Education: Going to college, welding tech.

Interesting facts: I'm a graphic designer. I have 2 animals; a cat and a dog, cat is Loki dog is Flower. My beau's father is in the military, but I'm a devout anti-militant. I blush and giggle a lot o_Q. I enjoy the feeling of a tight corset. I play Ragnarök Online (Private server). I'm into botany and enjoy herbs.

I live in Kokomo, Indiana. Continental Steele used to be located here, but closed long before my birth.
My Beau hates vests and most of the things I plan on buying/making for my steamwardrobe.

That's all I can think of.

Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change. Kiss slowly, play hard, love deeply, forgive quickly, take chances, give everything, and have no regrets. Life is too short to be anything but HAPPY.

-{{xxoo}}<3
von Brasswood
Zeppelin Captain
Norway Norway

Master of Graphical Marvel

« Reply #266 on: October 25, 2007, 03:13:09 am »

(I'll just follow Kittens "form")

Name: I'd rather not post it all, but the first name is Andreas. Alas, my family name is not von Brasswood...

Education: Just started college, studying Comparative Politics.

Interesting Facts: I run my own web and graphic design agency besides my student life. I love to write and read, and draw. I listen to music, mostly rock, and play some guitar as well, I guess. I play lots and lots of Nintendo games emulated on my Mac (Super Smash Bros <3). I'm politically active in different youth organizations, including climate awareness and EU sceptisicm.

I live in Norways second largest city, Bergen, an old Hansa Stadt. Most Germans and residents of European trade cities will understand that term. I'm relatively new to this steampunk thing, but I absolutely love it (Steamboy<3). I'm in the process of making a goggle with integrated electronics, with some help of a electrician friend of mine.

That's all I can think of Tongue

"Steam punk is like a top hat: You can watch it from different angles and enjoy different things about it, and there are no single hat that fits everyones head."
- vonB
zillahgirl
Deck Hand

« Reply #267 on: October 25, 2007, 08:35:08 pm »

Hello everyone! I am middling-good with introductions, so I'm pretty much just going to ramble for a bit and hope to cover most of it.

My name is Megan, though Zillah works just as well. Let's see...I'm 26, I'm an archivist, and, like so many here, I loved steampunk long before I knew that's what it was called. I'm a horror movie junkie, a constant reader, and a crafty-person of varying skill. When I'm not making something, watching something, or reading something, I'm a sometime student of cryptozoology, an experimental chef, and am training to join my local roller derby league.

I'm trying to actively incorporate steampunk elements into my everyday life, which is surprisingly easy, given that I've apparently been doing so for ages and didn't realize it had a name. Um....I have a cat named Theresa, I collect patent medicine bottles (anyone who can get me a Radithor bottle is instantly my hero and soulmate), vintage luggage, and sock monkeys, I challenge inanimate objects to fights when they distress me ("You and me, Bus, outside!"), and I have a fierce weakness for men in vests.

Much more will out with time, I'm sure, but I think that'll do for now.
the Viscount DuLamange!
« Reply #268 on: October 26, 2007, 10:31:58 am »

Hello I thought I should introduce myself properly after my first absinthe addled post in the dressing up section.

I to am a comic artist like so many others here though I also dabble in the occasional flash animation, actually if you find the online trailer for the Harper Collins book 'the Court of the air' thats one of mine and it's a steampunk book to boot which is lovely.

I reside at the east end of london in Sir Winston 'crack sweets' Churchill's former constituency, though originally I'm from Richmond in the south west which has a charming Victorian night each year were you can dress up and have your pocket picked or ovaries removed.

Much of my day is spent within Shed Manor labouring away with the blue pencil or working on the Lord Winchester my faithful morris minor and travelling gentlemans club.

All in all I choose to live in a fantasy world of my own creation and am rather pleased other people do also.

Ergo bibimus!

HoofFoot
« Reply #269 on: October 26, 2007, 02:55:35 pm »

Hello everyone and nice to meet you!

I too am going to borrow Kitten's form, because I'm not very good at writing introductions.

Name: Paula "HoofFoot"

DOB: 26th of February 1988

Education: Basic school, a couple of years in an institute of arts and crafts.

Interesting facts: I live with 3 cats and two roommates. I search other people's trashes for useful stuff and go dumpster diving for my food. My dream is to own an airship or become an innkeeper.

I live in Finland, it's very cold for most of the year or at least it used to be. I'm just starting to slip steampunk into my life, though I've been interested in it for a few years already.
Stefan Freestate
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Impresario of His Own Life's Circus

« Reply #270 on: October 26, 2007, 02:58:00 pm »

Hello everyone! I am middling-good with introductions, so I'm pretty much just going to ramble for a bit and hope to cover most of it.

My name is Megan, though Zillah works just as well. Let's see...I'm 26, I'm an archivist, and, like so many here, I loved steampunk long before I knew that's what it was called. I'm a horror movie junkie, a constant reader, and a crafty-person of varying skill. When I'm not making something, watching something, or reading something, I'm a sometime student of cryptozoology, an experimental chef, and am training to join my local roller derby league.

I'm trying to actively incorporate steampunk elements into my everyday life, which is surprisingly easy, given that I've apparently been doing so for ages and didn't realize it had a name. Um....I have a cat named Theresa, I collect patent medicine bottles (anyone who can get me a Radithor bottle is instantly my hero and soulmate), vintage luggage, and sock monkeys, I challenge inanimate objects to fights when they distress me ("You and me, Bus, outside!"), and I have a fierce weakness for men in vests.

Much more will out with time, I'm sure, but I think that'll do for now.

That's a damned good start. Blimey!
Quamen
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #271 on: October 29, 2007, 11:12:48 am »

Hello everyone.

My name is Robert, in the forum Quamen. I am a 23-years old student. studying Electronic Engineering at Tamworth College in good old blighty. I must confess I am very new to steampunk, I have always been fascinated with the Victorians and the age of steam. I love to read fiction with elements of what I now know to be steampunk. I found the site stumbling across Steampunk Airship Goggles on the Instructables web site.

I am hopeless at introductions so I will leave it there.
wildelf
« Reply #272 on: October 29, 2007, 05:47:41 pm »

Well... good morning. I thought it wise to introduce myself before starting to post all over this luverly forum.

I'm of an indeterminant age, and that's supported by friends as well as my own opinion, not having changed an iota since my early-ish 20s.

I live in Toronto, the city what thinks it's the center of all things Canadian, and balance a dayjob in retail management with a nightjob in DJing and nightclub promotion.

I've been intrigued by and interested in steampunk for quite some time but only recently had the opportunity to wander the internet and find this little heavely corner of discussion.
Modhail
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #273 on: October 30, 2007, 08:54:49 pm »

Hmmm, it appears I've started posting before properly introducing myself... Time to remedy that.

I'm Erik, currently 29 years of age and resident of the Netherlands. I've a lady (unmarried, so living in sin by Victorian standards) and a 3 year old son. I earn my paycheck on the costumer administration of a health insurance company.
I have spent about half a year studying at the, errr, the best translation would be "academy of arts" in the hopes of becoming a graphic designer. Unfortunately health and family issues forced me to drop out. By the time I recoved from both and was ready to resume my education I had somehow acquired a steady relationship, steady job, offspring and mortgage... I also had time to reflect and concluded that what the academy just didn't provide what I desired. I joined in a desire to learn the techniques and craftmanship of creation, not the conceptmongering of modern art (not to disparage any modern artists here, I love observing it and greatly respect the creative spark of an artist. It's just not something I'm happy in doing myself...)
These days I fulfill my creative and crafting urges through my hobbies.
I'm a regular doodler (wouldn't call it drawing, as I never seem to go beyond the scribbled concept stage these days), reader, wargamer and miniatures painter, roleplayer, as well as an incidental LARPer. I'm also a starter of many projects and finisher of few...  Wink
I've always had a fondness for "old stuff" and history in general, as well a respect for sturdiness, craftmanship and durability (my dad was a traditional carpenter, guess where that came from...) , combined with a preference for natural materials (wood, wool, metal, linnen, all good stuff).
I've also always preferred the more archaic things over the modern (sailing ships over motorised, prop over jet, steam over dieseltrains, politeness over "Oi, you!"). Gee, I wonder what drew me to steampunk?
Oh, and I also tend to ramble...  Grin

Bye, Modhail.

We often borrow of the future to repay debts of the past.
Difference Engineer
Snr. Officer

Not steampunk, but an incredible soy substitute.

« Reply #274 on: October 30, 2007, 10:17:40 pm »

So the other day I crawled out briefly from under the rock I live (how one can still live under a rock while being attached to the internet most of the time isn't very likely, but it does happen), and discovered steampunk.
Wireless access points do spring up these days like toadstools after a spring rain, do they not?

"You look like you're about to jump in your gyrocopter or something."
--Anonymous coworker
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 149   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: