The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 17, 2019, 04:05:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 149   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 285137 times)
Suzanne
Gunner
Switzerland Switzerland

Freshly embalmed

« Reply #200 on: September 16, 2007, 08:05:29 pm »

Hmmm...  A Seven-banded armored-pig, or what?  Wherever did you find her?

From what's left of its primary sexual characteristics, I'm actually pretty sure it's a HE. He died pretty young though and probably never reached adulthood.

He also likes to wear my fake moustaches and impersonates Hegel and Marx on the toilet which is normally something boys would do.

I didn't find him - he was given to me by my flatmate's brother who got it from a sale at Musée Bizarre in his hometown Baden.

And since I always had a weak spot for smelly, maggot-infected things that carry leprosy, it was love at first sight and I adopted him.  Roll Eyes

Addison Bentley
« Reply #201 on: September 17, 2007, 03:17:17 am »

Hello! Nice to meet you all.

My relation to steampunk is currently at a sort of vague general level. I know I like it, but I have very little experience with it in any form. I have two issues of SteamPunk Magazine, a fake-antique clock with gears in the middle, and an affinity for goggles. I have not gotten too far past this point in the something-like-a-year I've been interested in steampunk.

Whenever I try to make things they tend to collapse in on themselves. And I'm only talking making things on a "high school woodworking class" level. Give me anything approaching a steampunk project and I'll poke both my eyes out. I'm also too attached to my jeans and t-shirts to try "steampunk fashion" -- maybe someday.

But I can read! And that's a good step. (:
Mad Maxine
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

I'm the one in the hat.

« Reply #202 on: September 17, 2007, 03:58:28 am »

I hope it gets over it's nasty case of death.

Apart from a nasty maggot infection he's fine.

He spends his days reading taxidermy books. Here he can be seen reading Accidental Taxidermist by Scott Musgrove - a book I can highly recommend to all Gürteltierchen and human beings.

You can fix those pesky maggot infestations with a little "vacation" in the freezer.

Lips sealed

Dedicated to the destruction and repair of objects in the name of curiosity.
Chapelon
« Reply #203 on: September 17, 2007, 09:37:07 am »

Hello All...

I'm a longterm fan of steampunk, but only recently found out what it was called after a chance comment on a model railway thread (http://tinyurl.com/2osw62) and a rapid subsequent search on Wikipedia and others sites brought me to Brass Goggles, where I've lurked for a bit, largely mesmerized by the creations I saw.

In my 'real' Job, I work in theatre running a tiny organisation which makes youth theatre here in the Württemberg region of Germany, and I'm just itching to get the first steampunk based piece underway, so I'm likely to pester a lot of people for ideas, critiques and suggestions as to how I can make props and costumes on a budget of whatever I can scrape together at the time. In particular I'm working on a design for a vary large gun for the Heroine, and a suitable idea for the "Overly Large Explosive device" for the evil baroness to use as a deathtrap. I'll make a more detailed post on the Props forum, but any thoughts are appreciated.

Oh, and for those who may be wondering Andre Chapelon lived between 26. Oktober 1892 and 22. July 1978, and was one of the greatest designers of steam locomotives in Europe, creating machines that could outstrip the new diesels and electrics for speed and power, but whose work was an embarrassment to the authorities, and his designs were pushed to the provinces and eventually cut up quietly. His work did prove that there was more potential for steam than we allowed, though. His first position as an engineer was a "Ingénieur des Arts et Manufactures" which I can roughly translate as an "Engineer of the arts and products", which I don't think is a bad aspiration.
Capt. Algernon Flynn
Deck Hand

Sir, your stultiloquence continues to astound.

« Reply #204 on: September 18, 2007, 12:01:03 am »

Why hellooooo. *waves*

I've been a history nerdling since time immemorial, growing up in the company of a historian/professor father - as well as fascinated by the inner workings of pretty much everything, courtesy of growing up also with a neighbor who built a helicopter from scratch in his garage.
So those two interests molded together over time.

And they were joined by the fact that I love books. I am a complete raving rampaging literaturehead, actually.

"Oh my." I found out one day. "History, odd mechanicalities, books, and fanciness, ALL IN ONE? Such a thing exists? IT HAS A NAME? How lovely."

I appear similar to this.

Phwoar.  Grin
Abbey Coathanger
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #205 on: September 18, 2007, 07:13:14 am »

"I was forced to join this glorious community by my embalmed armadillo who's really into steampunk."

That's a song cue if I ever heard one.

I was taking compass bearings for the Ordinance Survey
On an army training camp on Salisbury plain,
I had packed up my theodolite, was calling it a day,
When I heard a voice that sang a sad refrain:

'Oh, my darling Armadillo,
Let me tell you of my love,
Listen to my Armadillo roundelay;
Be my fellow on my pillow,
Underneath this weeping willow,
Be my darling Armadillo all the day.'

Sorry. Sometimes you just have to break into song.

* Lyrics by Flanders & Swann
LibelAndSlander
Snr. Officer

« Reply #206 on: September 18, 2007, 11:57:16 am »

Gasp! I've been here for... what has it been, a month or two now? And I don't recall ever making an intro (I just looked through this whole thread, and I guess I didn't, unless I missed it...)

I am most commonly known as Paradoxx, though libelandslander is my s/n on many many things (since 2003 or so) and some know me by my middle name, Brigid.

I've been into Victorian Goth and Gothic Lolita for about two years now, so of course I got into steampunk through the aesthetic side of things (which happened about... six months ago?). But I'm also a writer, so the fiction aspect inspires me greatly - even though I have yet to get past page one on any of my ideas x_x. I also find myself more and more into the tech with every passing day, but the tactile arts have never been really my thing, seeing as my dex score is probably a 7 (yes I had to say it that way).  I leave that up to my ship's first mate, who is a very good friend of mind, I daresay one of my best friends, known as archmagekyros on these forums.

I love... history and anthropology, 75% of the music I've ever heard (goth and showtunes being my favorites), all sorts of japanese street fashion, so much sci-fi/fantasy I could hardly hope to write a list (in all forms - writing, tv, movies, art. my particular big fandoms are Buffy/Angel, Harry Potter, and Star Wars), musicals, and the oxford comma (apparently bad jokes as well).

Outside the realm of interests, I'm starting community college this year. I hope to transfer to a University later, but everyone told me its a really good idea to go to a community college after getting your GED. I have a pretty serious, sometimes crippling, chronic pain condition (Fibromyalgia), which really sucks but I feel lucky that all it does it make me hurt (i.e. it isn't going to kill me, nor is it degenerative). I live with my brother and boyfriend, which is pretty excellent. We have 3 cats, 1 dog, 2 lizards, an incredibly old hamster, a snake, and a frog. If you can't tell, we're animal people.

And there is the inside info on my life. Woo.

Captain C.B. Quinn, of the Airship Eudora.
PRIVATEER IN ACCORDANCE WITH DECREE BY HIS MAJESTY EMPEROR NORTON I.
AFGNCAAP
Snr. Officer
Antarctica Antarctica

Professor's phlegmatic lackey

« Reply #207 on: September 20, 2007, 06:39:16 am »

Greetings!
To introduce myself, I am a traveling forum clown of many interests. The aforementioned history lovers may be pleased to find a similar character in me, and those who...are there lovers of text adventures here? Oh, well...however, above all, I am a writer who was pleased to find out that there was a name, "Steampunk", for their quirky genre.
And so...here I am. Tremble. Gape in awe. Wonder. Briefly bump into me, curtly apologize, and continue on walking.  Grin

"An eruption!" I said. "We're in the chimney of an active volcano?"
"I think so," said the professor smiling, "and that's the best thing that could happen to us!"
-Journey to the Center of the Earth

"The way to my heart is through my chest, with a scalpel and a bone saw."
-Lady Anne
Chrysilla
« Reply #208 on: September 20, 2007, 04:55:30 pm »

Hallo!  I'm Cris, and I'm a jewelry artist in NYC.  I've been trying to sidle into the steampunk style for a while now, and I really like all the projects I see on this forum!  I like the Goth style but am not quite one myself, I sell shinies at The Salon Convention in Edison NJ (this weekend, eee!), and spend way too much time on livejournal.  I also larp, but mostly just the Whitewolf games right now.
The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain

A Weird Westerner, His Own Damn Self

« Reply #209 on: September 23, 2007, 09:12:17 pm »

Hullo.. I'm new here too. *waves nervously*

Welcome in - and what a wonderful website you have.  I encourage visitation of same.

Wow! Your website IS amazing! (Whos the cute jumping girl? Cheesy) Your collection of artwork is remarkable, my dear! And........the remarkable Alex CF, eh?! Hmmmm the puzzle pieces are slowing coming together Wink

Signed,
Mr. M___ E_____ Adams
Tinkerer, Adventurer, Man of Leisure, Weird Westerner, and Cad
18--
Suzanne
Gunner
Switzerland Switzerland

Freshly embalmed

« Reply #210 on: September 24, 2007, 09:34:45 am »

Uhmm.. why, thank you.  Smiley

The jumping girl would be me. I just realised that I've been jumping 20 days straight with no food or water.

The brown/black dress ("Reisekleid" in German) was made by my talented friend Vecona, btw. I can highly recommend her for authentic period costumes. That's her:

Photograph by Viona | Dress & model: Vecona - Yes, I do have her telephone number

Oh, and yes.. Alex is indeed rather remarkable..  Roll Eyes
CutePaws
Deck Hand
Germany Germany

« Reply #211 on: September 24, 2007, 03:49:06 pm »

Just wanted to say hi to all of you.i've been browsing this forum for some time now and thought it's about time to join this nice community. I learned about the genre of steampunk a couple of month ago while browsing some cyberpunk-sites and realized that i've been into steampunk for a long time without even knowing. As long as i can think i enjoyed these adventures written by jule verne and co. the films which were inspired by those authors etc. anyway just wanted to say hi and i'm glad i found this forum.
please excuse my mistake as for english isn't my native language (I'm trying to improve it).
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #212 on: September 24, 2007, 05:05:49 pm »

Dear CutePaws,

Welcome to the forum, I've found that posting here has helped my English.

Dear Suzanne,

The 18th century gown is gorgeous.  I will probably be wearing that style for Halloween this year.

Vienna
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #213 on: September 24, 2007, 05:12:35 pm »

You can fix those pesky maggot infestations with a little "vacation" in the freezer.

Lips sealed

Reminds me of a conversation I once had with my old (and I mean old) science teacher Professor Lazarus:

"Heir Doctor! I have reason to believe that you are responsible for the formulation of the elixir of eternal life!"
"What of it young student"
"I wish to obtain this formula from you forth with!"
"Get stuffed!"
"I take you at your word sir! And so I too will live for ever through the restorative medium of internal sawdust!"

I wish your Panzerschwein a happy maggot free eternity. Smiley

Yuri
Gunner
Mystery Airshipman

« Reply #214 on: September 25, 2007, 07:38:18 am »

This thread actually reminded me to take a WW2 flight helmet out of the freezer in our breakroom.  When we pulled it off display last month, it was suffering from the attentions of silverfish that had attacked the silk label inside.  The short vacation in the freezer appears to have ended their habitation...

v/r
Yuri

Where you start doesn't determine how far you will go - the people who believe they can, and the people who believe they cannot, are both right.
LordFeng
« Reply #215 on: September 25, 2007, 09:16:35 am »

Hello forum,

I'm a film student in Texas and the more I've grown discontent with my instruction the more I've delved into personal research online.  In such research, I discovered that steampunk is very much a part of me.  Currently, I am writing a screenplay about several superheroes and decided it would be best to make one of them as steampunk as a modern urban setting might allow.  His name is Spec and he's my avatar.  He has a funky set of glasses (perhaps they'll be goggles one day) and mechanical body parts including an arm, heart, and lung.  Though his power seems to be technopathy, it is actually a combination of two other common superpowers.  Interested?  Ask me and I'll tell you more.

Here's Spec in color:

(not drawn by me, by a friend)
IvanDrugostrov
Zeppelin Captain
Sweden Sweden

Have gun, will travel

« Reply #216 on: September 25, 2007, 09:16:46 am »

I thought this thread was for introductions only. Not even replies or comments to/on them. Guess I was wrong.

Support your local struggling author!
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com
Igaus N. Wierzba
Officer
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #217 on: September 25, 2007, 09:32:26 am »

Though I could make myself an introduction.

I'm fairly new to the forum, only been here 3 - 4 days, I think.
I forgett things pretty easy, bit of scatter-brain really.
Live in Sweden, Gothenburg. Studies Mechatronics and autmatics at the local universitey; Chalmers, will hopefully take an master in AI one day.
My screen name is from a old tale I wrote back when I was 12. As for the moment I am at a strong age of 20!
My real name is rarley never used, neither by friends or familly. Back in where I grew up I was known as Flex, a short of Flexnez that is a modification on Flecknes. When I moved to Gothenburg I became Zen.
Being very proud of my real last name, Weckstén, I tend to only use it at very rare occasions. I am one of six in whole Sweden that carries that last name, one of the few in the whole world.

I have a great intrest in odd tales and the life of others, I am an adventurer that wants to belive in dragons and faries. The world is so much more fun then.
I am working on a book at the moment, have been published once before in Sweden.

My eyes change color from blue to bright blue, "angel blue eyes" have I been informed from a friend. However they only do this under serten events. Hopefully it will never happen again!

Well I guess that is me!

Hello everyone
Yuri
Gunner
Mystery Airshipman

« Reply #218 on: September 25, 2007, 09:38:43 am »

I thought this thread was for introductions only. Not even replies or comments to/on them. Guess I was wrong.

If it was aimed in my direction, point taken - I should be reading this thread, not posting.  

v/r
Yuri
IvanDrugostrov
Zeppelin Captain
Sweden Sweden

Have gun, will travel

« Reply #219 on: September 25, 2007, 10:01:50 am »

If it was aimed in my direction, point taken - I should be reading this thread, not posting.  

v/r
Yuri

Oh my Cog, no! It wasn't aimed in any particular direction. I just feel it is unfair to the people who post an introduction right in the middle of a debate or idle chatter. There are plenty of other threads for that. Let's give people here a chance to present themselves under attentive circumstances.
But these are just my two cents.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #220 on: September 25, 2007, 02:08:13 pm »

I'm of the mind that if an introduction is suitably raunchy then it screams out for further comment and light jovial debate.

+ two = four cents

KatarinaNavane
Zeppelin Captain

KatarinaNavane
« Reply #221 on: September 25, 2007, 03:30:17 pm »

I'm of the mind that if an introduction is suitably raunchy then it screams out for further comment and light jovial debate.

+ two = four cents

I'm also in favour if commenting on introductions.  If people don't comment on them, how will the new folks know we even read them?  Althought some of these more legnthy discussions may be a bit excessive. 

IvanDrugostrov
Zeppelin Captain
Sweden Sweden

Have gun, will travel

« Reply #222 on: September 25, 2007, 03:48:52 pm »

If there is something in an introduction worth commenting, or you feel a certain rapport with the person, how about just PM:ing them?
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #223 on: September 25, 2007, 03:57:51 pm »

If there is something in an introduction worth commenting, or you feel a certain rapport with the person, how about just PM:ing them?

It's a bit stalkery.

Imagine getting a PM

"I saw your introduction, I think it's really GREAT!"

Sets me on edge I can tell you. Smiley
juxtimon
Zeppelin Captain

i don't like cogs, gears, goggles or tesla

« Reply #224 on: September 26, 2007, 02:03:25 pm »

hmmm... i've managed 44 posts without a proper introduction, so erm, i suppose i ought to make an effort Tongue

my name is Alex, and i hail from the former capital of industry, but current armpit of England- Birmingham.  i'm a prop maker, art director, wardrobe master and general tinkerer by profession, and i'm fascinated with wunderkammer, natural history, ethnography, post apocalyptic futures, manufacturing techniques and general wierd science.

umm, what other pointless information can i add... i'm a 5'11" mesocephalic caucasoid male, and thats about it.  Cheesy

i put a <a href="http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=3505.0">head in a tank</a> and a <a href="http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=5309.0">toad in a box</a>, now i'm putting _____ into a ______
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 149   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: