The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 17, 2019, 04:43:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 149   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 284127 times)
Enli
Officer

Enli

« Reply #125 on: August 07, 2007, 09:35:58 am »

I'm already delighted to be reading about such interesting people.  Smiley And a witty group you all are, too!

I never introduced myself, so I suppose I should.

I'm 20, currently an English major at a university in southern california with uncertain dreams of being a writer or artist or.. something. I live in the same surfing town where I grew up, which may explain my aversion to Hawaiian prints, palm trees and surf music. I am an avid bodyboarder but I'm usually the only girl sponger out in the water. I'm a DJ for my college radio station and I do a weekly eclectic rock-folk-rpm program. Our station doesn't permit the playing of mainstream artists, so I'm a big fan of a lot of excellent no-names and spend a lot of time at $5-10 shows in Orange County and Los Angeles. I love staying up late (WAY late), dressing up, exploring abandoned places, and generally being a strange person.

STEAMPUNK: THE NEW CULT OF DRUGS DEBAUCHARY AND DEATH
Marcus Bell Of Ulm
Officer
United States United States

Technikaiser/Skilled Scrounger

« Reply #126 on: August 07, 2007, 09:40:57 am »

Yes! Another insomniac!

Nothing is foolproof to the sufficiently talented fool.
Alderman Simeon
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

of Darlington, England

« Reply #127 on: August 07, 2007, 11:35:30 am »

I love all/most music and play bass, as well as collecting, fixing and modifying guitars.

Ooh, me too! What'cha got?

Contents under pressure.
Leyden jars not included.
May contain nuts and bolts.
Master Sinton
« Reply #128 on: August 07, 2007, 03:18:12 pm »

Well one would assume this to be the proper place to introduce ones self. so here goes.

Although I have already posted a short introduction prior to this one this will be a bit better. Anyway My posting name is obviously Master Sinton, my real life name being Alasdair. I am 18 and a student in my last year of high school where I am studying art, visual comm, philosophy, literature and multimedia. I am new to the genre of steampunk but have throughout my life liked many different aspects of it and now having seen all the wonderful work and costumes of the peoples of this forum I have been inspired to start my own.

well thats should be enough for now.

Master A H Sinton
Maurautius
Officer

Ingenieur der musikalischen Traummaschinen

« Reply #129 on: August 07, 2007, 04:25:10 pm »

I actually posted somewhere else first with the requisite "On, BTW, I'm new..." but it seems appropriate to say hello here as well.

So, ahh, HELLO! My name's Ian, but Maurautius has been my screen name for the last fifteen years. Either one is fine as an appellation. I'm a highschool English teacher by day, Æther-powered rock musician by night; I'm working successfully at doing the latter much more than the former (but I dress almost the same either way, so I'm the "weird, eccentric teacher" that is loved by students while getting sidelong glances from the more square-ish of my colleagues). I'm married to an exquisitely lovely lady, we have an equally lovely daughter and we currently live in a beautiful victorian house in upstate New York. Other random tidbits include:

I've been a freelance graphic artist in my time.
I'm fiercely left-handed.
I love to travel.
I collect Absinthe and its related paraphernalia.
I speak French reasonably well.
I drink way too much coffee.
I read a lot, and write sporadically.
I've been a musician in some fashion for nearly twenty years.
Can't think of anything else at the moment....

I've been lurking here for MONTHS so I suppose it's high-time I shook the dust off and said hello, though I must say that this is the most fun board I've EVER been a part of. By far filled with the most intelligent, congenial people...and CIVIL too! Fantastic.

So, that's that. CHEERS!

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."<br />
~Oscar Wilde
Duncan Hawthorne
Officer

« Reply #130 on: August 07, 2007, 05:29:08 pm »

Hi!

My wife pointed me here recently, although I have been a lifelong fan of a variety of anachronistic subcultures ... er... communities, science fiction, philosophy, invention/tinkering, music, art, and non-disposable culture, so it feels a lot like home.  I'm kind of an oddball everywhere, so I expected I may be one here as well, but after looking around it seems "eccentric" is fairly... um... normal (no offense).

What attracts me to steampunk is the obvious technology combined with well-designed and artistic presentation, the hardiness of the materials, the hats, the lack of an obvious consumerist culture (so far), the variety of dress, and the general civility.  I am addicted to visible tech (like cogs, gears, etc.) and love reconstructed/repurposed "art" objects, functional or not, although I definitely lean toward function over fashion, I appreciate both quite highly.

I love making things, especially from junk, and part of that aesthetic is what appeals to me as well, and also may explain why I tend to love post-apocalyptic things so much as well.  I'm into bicycles, scooters, carpentry, painting, and am interested in learning more about metal working as I've been jonesing to do a few bike/motorcycle project ideas swirling around in my head.  I also play music which is kind of cross-genre and anachronistic in its own way. 

Finally, I've been rehabbing a 120 year old folk Victorian house; not necessarily doing it as a "Restoration" but still wanting to keep some of the original spirit to it.  Seeing the inner guts of some 100 year old technology really makes you appreciate both the old and the new.  Sure, that knob and tube wiring looks scary as hell (and it is, frankly), but it's also survived a long time.  I often wonder if the same could be said of many modern building materials.  Then again, there are a lot of great inventions that apparently weren't standard back then, such as proper venting of a plumbing stack.... 

Anyway, I digress.  Nice to meet you all.  I’ll post some pics of me, the scooters, the house, etc. soon.  In the meantime, here's a neat pic of my Great Granduncle's (second from left) band a distant cousin sent me, and it's crazy: he looks almost EXACTLY like me.  So much so that a friend of mine thought I photoshopped my face onto him.

"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." - Oscar Wilde
Marcus Bell Of Ulm
Officer

Technikaiser/Skilled Scrounger

« Reply #131 on: August 07, 2007, 09:09:43 pm »

A banjo I am in the process of restoring, a Fender P-bass I did custom paint on, A strat, a Fender acoustic, a 12 string acoustic, and a classical with some mean fret buzz i've been meaning to fix.
Nova
« Reply #132 on: August 08, 2007, 01:43:16 am »

Hello! Day one on this wonderful forum! And might I say, what a discovery!

I was talking to a friend about A Gentlemen's Duel, they directed me here, and I feel like I'm home!!!

I'm 30 and live alone, and have been a huge fan of victoriana and the steam era for years. How wonderfully satisfying to find people that are as enthustiastic as I am.

Top hole!
Jacob Burn
« Reply #133 on: August 08, 2007, 10:38:51 pm »

Yes, okay, introductions. I'm new here. Ahem.

I'm mostly a writer. I started out with science fiction, but I started drifting into a peculiar sort of fantasy, and editors started buying. There are a lot of steampunk sensibilities in my work, especially matters of aesthetics and technology. Most of my stuff has appeared in Interzone, which should be familiar to those of you on England's shores, but perhaps not to my American friends.

I like it here. Lots of pretty gears and goggles and tophats. Huzzah!
DreddPirateBob
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #134 on: August 09, 2007, 03:30:36 pm »

hello all Smiley

um.. I am an englishman, like all the best of scottish blood, living in the northwest county of Lancashire. I am a freelance illustrator and concept artist, as well as an avid devotee of Secondlife and all its possibilities. I play the harmonica badly, the didgeridoo worse. Though i spent some time as a performer in the world of the street (juggling, unicycling and such) i am stale of late and have recently begun to retrain. I like a good shot of good malt, but not as much as i like the bottle, and i have a new and burgeoning passion for the green fairy of absinthe, and for working in brass. I have a deep seated suspiscion that i am the abandoned child of Bertie Wooster and YT the skateboard courior from Snowcrash, though i fear the Wooster line gave me most of the genes. At the moment i am nursing a broken rib from a friendly test of strength and working on my costume for the solway festival (brassgoggles and all) without spending so much as a Queen's Ha'penny. I would be happy to meet any of you fine folk for a wander in Lord Williamson's park, if you are passing through, though no more wrestling if you please.

All this is true, though rereading it it seems such folly that i blush.

Forgive me if i ramble on, a good day to you all!
Enli
Officer

Enli

« Reply #135 on: August 10, 2007, 09:10:55 am »

Yes! Another insomniac!

Indeed! Although, it's mostly out of choice.. 6 or 7 am is generally my preferred bedtime, but alas the obligations of the modern world don't generally allow for that kind of schedule. Sad

To everyone: welcome welcome welcome!   Kiss
Master Sinton
« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2007, 11:00:31 am »

Posted by: Enli
Insert Quote
Quote from: Marcus Bell Of Ulm on 07-08-2007, 18:40:57
Yes! Another insomniac!

Indeed! Although, it's mostly out of choice.. 6 or 7 am is generally my preferred bedtime, but alas the obligations of the modern world don't generally allow for that kind of schedule. Sad

After reading this I feel my sleep depriving nature is a bit of a luxury by that I mean only going to sleep at 2:30 and then getting up for school at 8.
B.C. Fout
Deck Hand

« Reply #137 on: August 10, 2007, 08:28:41 pm »

Hello hello, and greetings to everyone here.  I just joined, so I believe an introduction is in order.

My name is B.C. Fout, and I've been piddling around this forum for about a month now.  I currently reside in the United States as a sixteen-year-old homeschooler who has only recently discovered the glorious world that is steampunk.  While it is one of my passions, I am currently learning Japanese, and am a fan of everything that comes with the territory, including anime, manga, video games, movies, and music all from that particularly marvellous little country.  It was actually several steampunk inspired anime that lead me to this site.  (By the name of "Steamboy" and "Fullmetal Alchemist".)

My main reason for joining this absolutely heavenly community is that I'm an avid writer/reader, and I've been tossing about the thought of writing a steampunk novel one of these days.  Naturally, I thought it best that just being around people of your wonderful caliber would make for the best research.

I must say, I spend much of my time staring in awe at the computer whenever I visit this site, and I feel blessed to be among such great company.  Each and every one of you has become a hero to me.

I suppose that's enough rambling for now.  Thank you all for having me.   Smiley
oskila
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Robber of graves, watcher of birds, drinker of ale

« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2007, 10:13:15 pm »

I introduced myself not too long ago when I first found the forum. However, since I then went away for eight days without having time to inform forums and such, I'm popping into this thread to say hello to those who are newer than me.

On my trip I started my training as minion to a mad scientist. Or really, I assisted a friend who's working on a PhD in zoology. We collected lice from birds using miniature barber's collars, glass jars and ethyl acetate.

In this picture a Snipe (Gallinago gallinago) is under treatment.

Whoever after due and proper warning shall be heard to utter the abominable word "Frisco", which has no linguistic or other warrant, shall be deemed guilty of a High Misdemeanor, and shall pay into the Imperial Treasury as penalty the sum of twenty-five dollars. (Emperor Norton I of the US, 1872)
Onitek
« Reply #139 on: August 11, 2007, 12:41:40 pm »

Hm.. i am new to this so...

Hello, my name is Lars Occhinero, in the forum Onitek. I am a 21-years old student. I study astrophysics at the University of Aarhus in Denamark. I play lots of roleplaying games, often some live action roleplaying games, and i am very fascinated with the steampunk universe.
I forund the site stumbling, and i am currently using it to find some fun stuff for costumes, as i am to play a steampunk (Tinker Gnome based) wizard at our next LARP session...

Well.. hello everybody!
komischk
« Reply #140 on: August 12, 2007, 07:42:54 pm »

Well, I guess it's my turn! I'm 28, a Louisiana native, and I work primarily in graphic/web design though I do a bit of writing as well. I'm really very back and forth between visual and literary arts a lot: I have degrees in art & art history and comparative literature, but I end up doing most of my work for universities in a sort of do-everything media/publications way. I'm currently prowling for a new job and I feel like putting a little steampunk into my portfolio since it's something I've been interested in for quite some time.  Wink
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 08:10:01 pm by komischk » Logged
Taluria
Snr. Officer

Sometimes it just feels better to hide.

Holli_Tal
« Reply #141 on: August 14, 2007, 11:10:03 pm »

Hello, dears.
I would like to introduce myself. I'm Taluria, often known as Tal or Taloo. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I'm from Alabama, and I'm a first-year college student. I only recently found that there was actually a name for my interest and that others liked something similar.  I'd adore being able to wear such lovely clothes as I've seen while browsing through this forum, but that will have to wait a bit.

Lilian Aston Talbot of the International Cryptozoological and Supernatural Research Society.
"Oh yes, I research and look for mythical beasts. Sea serpents, Phoukas, good men... That sort of thing."
http://twitter.com/OfTheICaSRS
Mme. Helene Burroughs
« Reply #142 on: August 15, 2007, 03:11:39 pm »

Hallo!  I'm pleased to meet you all.  I'm Helen, occasionally called Hal or Hallie.

I enjoy steampunk very much.  The idea that the average gentleman would have a project at home, that anyone could tinker with things and come up with interesting results, is extremely appealing to me.  Tinkering with things and making useless inventions is a proud family tradition, and the name of it has been passed down for generations: "Making a Handle for a Duck's Nest."  Apparently, my great-grandmother Bridget was frustrated with my great-grandfather Dennis' tinkering at the time.  It's been passed affectionately down the line, and I'm pleased to say that my son is upholding the family's honor... except that he swipes all my tools and leaves them strewn about the house.

I'm lucky in that my immediate family is cheefully insane, and games, anachronisms, and geekishness are a constant part of our lives.  We're cross-platform geeks, including but not limited to: gaming, comic book, computer, anachronism, and book.  There have been incidents of people running shrieking through the house after one another about bad dice rolls.  The current crop of witticisms often involve "your face" comments.  Ex: "Ha ha! You botched that roll!"  "Your FACE is a botch!" *mock violence ensues*

Mme. Helene Burroughs is a character who has been lurking in the back of my head for a while, now.  She's a boarding-house keeper, and runs a small tea-room/eatery.  I think of her as the mom-figure who reminds you to eat, shakes her head in mock-dismay at your antics, and lets you blow things up in the garage as long as you're careful.

Thanks very much for having me!
IvanDrugostrov
Zeppelin Captain
Sweden Sweden

Have gun, will travel

« Reply #143 on: August 15, 2007, 06:09:13 pm »

Open letter to everyone.
Dear Sir or Madam, as the case may be;

I am John with-a-hundred-names.

I have a soft spot for almost anything designed and/or built between 1845 and 1945, although my primary focus concerns the time frame of the world wars, particularly the latter, and therefore not true steampunk, I still hold much love for Victorian daydreams.
During all seasons except summer, I fly the flag of vintage loving in my different ensembles; donning neckties, waistcoats, shirts, suspenders and fedoras. Although I have yet to acquire a full steampunk getup.
People often perceive me as a fancy dresser, thusly. Mostly, they are wrong. Upon closer inspection much of my wardrobe is worn and even tattered. That is all right with me. Wear and tear, stains and makeshift repairs just seems more... alive.

I spend much of my time trying to figure out a purpose in life, and a medium for expressing my creativity. I am not the handyman, mechanic or craftsman as many are here. But I might still prove something of a tailor yet.
I feel I need to release my steampunk fantasy in some way. To live or experience something about it. It soothes and suits me so well.

As of yet, I am well impressed with this forum. In (stark) contrast to other equivalents, people here are friendly, intelligent, humorous and ingenious. Not to mention well articulated and educated! Seems rare elsewhere.

I don't know what more to say. People are welcome to PM or mail me if they want to get to know me better.
I'm always up for more friend around the world, especially if they share interests of mine.

Hugs for the ladies, hardy handshakes for the gentlemen
Yrs truly
JOHN

Support your local struggling author!
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com
Sinjun
Snr. Officer

Cad, bounder, & all-around scoundrel

« Reply #144 on: August 16, 2007, 12:06:00 am »

Sinjun's been one of my online handles for many years, and seems to work OK for steampunk. Been lurking here for some time; haven't posted yet because I don't have a good Steampunk outfit or Datamancer-like creation to show off.

I'm a writer by profession (of the boring technical variety, not a novelist). I live in the Seattle, WA-ish area (live in the country, work in the 'burbs, get to the city proper whenever I can). I'm older than I'd like to be, but young enough that everyone tells me "You're not old!" when I complain about my advancing years.

The missus and myself have made a hobby of costuming for many years, and I've brought her around to my recent fascination with Steampunk and we'll probably be doing quite a bit of s.p. costuming in the near future. I've been interested in Steampunk since I first heard of it (probably in the early 90's, after The Difference Engine was published), but really just getting into it in-depth now. I was a fan of Jules Verne and H.G. Wells as a youth, and always felt an affinity for by-gone times. The boom in interest and publicity for Steampunk drew me in through posts on Boing Boing, which led me to Brass Goggles, and of course here.

On the un-steampunk side, I'm a digital gadget and computer junkie, a car and motorcycle afficionado, a wannabe movie director, and a former long-time Burner (Burning Man '97-'04). I imagine there are a few other Burners on here, so hopefully I'll be able to meet others in Steampunk attire if I am forced to attend in '08 (the missus is lobbying hard for our attendance next year).

On a side note, I'm a bit OCD about my writing and spent somewhere on the high side of half an hour writing this one little post.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 12:07:40 am by Sinjun » Logged

More punk than steam.
Sir Theodore Catchpole
Snr. Officer

« Reply #145 on: August 16, 2007, 05:54:40 am »

hello guest
J. Cornelius Metcalfe
« Reply #146 on: August 17, 2007, 12:27:46 am »

Good Evening Everyone. (or the appropriate salutation for the time of day.)

My name is John, and i'm incredibly new to steampunk.
I live in Liverpool with my fiancée Victoria and our 2 Norwegian Forest Cats, Lily and Hermann.
A little while ago my fiancée said "I've seen a Victorian style dress that I really like for our wedding" she then said something like "So you had better sort your self out with something that will go with it."
I came across the brassgoggles site while using stumbleupon to try and find inspiration for a suit for my wedding next Hallowe'en.
Needless to say that since finding BG and the forum, the search for the suit has pretty much ground to a halt.
But i do know that i now require the following:
A pocket watch.
Monoggle/Goggles with multiple lenses.
A Bowler/Derby.
Sleeve garters.
Oh yes, and a Suit to get married in.
Everything on the site is fantastic, I feel like a kid in a sweetshop when looking through the forums and the archive.

John.
ExLibrisAfterDark
« Reply #147 on: August 18, 2007, 03:28:26 am »

Yay, finally found the intro thread! Still having a few problems with navigation here.

So, hello! I'm ExLibrisAfterDark, but you can call me whatever you like.
I don't know much anything about steampunk, but I hope I'll learn more here. I'm not even sure I know what counts as steampunk (that's mainly the reason I'm here).

A little about me:

-I write dark-Victorian-horror-fantasy-(insert genre)-mysteries, so the era is starting to become familiar. Nothing published yet, I'm afraid, but hopefully one day. Fingers crossed.

-I love everything old. Vintage, antiques, antiquities and obscure items. I also collect vintage compacts and have a strange affection towards relics, which I can't really explain.

-I love research. More than writing, almost. (Procrastinators of the world, unite tomorrow!)

-I love reading, obviously. Favourite author of all time has got to be Terry Pratchett, with Douglas Adams as a close second.

-I love music. (Doesn't everyone?) Favourite bands and artists: too many to list here. But my playlist of the moment has everything from Fleetwood Mac, The Smiths and Yoko Kanno to Firewater, Metric and The Sisters of Mercy.
I tend to dabble in music myself. Nothing fancy, just me and the computer, making sounds that almost resemble music (on a good day).

-Sometimes I spin poi and staff, but not very well at all. I keep hitting myself over the head with the staff. Which explains many things.

-Also, sometimes when I can be bothered, I make polyclay figurines, wire jewelry and bind books.

-I'm very much into searing sarcasm. I try to deal it out everyday to passers by, for their education and general benefit. I do it nicely too, with a smile.

That's really all I can think right now.
I hope you'll let me lurk in your forum and absorb information.

brutebrother
Gunner
Antarctica Antarctica

« Reply #148 on: August 20, 2007, 10:30:00 am »

yeah i kind of forgot to properly introduce myself when I joined and just jumped straight into posting. my bad.

I'm a professional photographer and have done several tours as a combat photographer in conflict areas.  I prefer to shoot documentary and uncontrolled portrait work.  Love fashion photography especially sub-culture work and would love to seek a career in it.  Always was interested and had a love of the steampunk visual style and thought behind it.  I tend to stray more towards the typical rivethead on tons of ideas and topics, but view steampunk as more of the "Original Rivet" and that just adds to the charm.  Huge Terry Gilliam fan...not the python work...but his other directorial features.  I was raised by an audiophile therefore I sort of have a strange knack for liking almost everything out there...except for rap and that new country...bleah.

I like long quiet strolls through old steel yards and railstations.  The bright gleam of steam engines in the morning.  And a nice glass of Absinthe after dinner.

~YJ Sgt. Smitty

reporting from the trenches.
brutebrother
Gunner
Antarctica Antarctica

« Reply #149 on: August 20, 2007, 10:31:17 am »

forgot to add that I'm a smart-ass.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 149   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: