The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 22, 2019, 09:58:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: James' non-SP model building thread  (Read 155660 times)
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #2300 on: January 01, 2019, 02:39:49 pm »

I could, but if I use chickenwire I would then need to use plaster on top of it, not really a problem except for the weight of it.  I'm trying to keep the weight down, so far as possible, because for the foreseeable future this board needs to be mobile. 
Why not papier maché? If you varnish the underside (so you can do what you want with the top) it should be at least as strong as plaster but a lot thinner/lighter for the same strength.

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #2301 on: January 01, 2019, 02:51:56 pm »

Papier-mache is what I'm planning to use as an upper surface in any case.  I've already got the rough profiles (did those a month or two back) so now I'm just packing out between those to get the contours, largely using scrap card and newspaper.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #2302 on: January 01, 2019, 04:40:26 pm »

More detailing on the Taigatrommel:
Brake hoses and valves, (HLL), black coupling
Air hoses and valves. (HBL), red coupling
A bit hard to see in the picture.

Now I am making the handrails that go under the buffers and the steps for the lower end of the front skirt.
Then I need to make the dummy brake levers that go into the brake cylinders and the associated pipes, hoses, connectors.
Time to order the number plates.

Cheesy  I wonder how many tins of Humbrol I'd need for that...

Spot the tin.....

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 04:53:37 pm by The Bullet » Logged

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2303 on: January 01, 2019, 06:07:27 pm »

Cheesy  It looks lost sitting there!

Work started again on the photo plank.  Bunched up wads of newspaper between the profiles to rough out the cutting side, then strips of paper woven together to create the basic surface.  This was woven in-situ and to say it was awkward and fiddly is putting it politely.  Half of one cutting side is about done now.

Then the obligatory down the line shot.  As 1950s and 1960s railway documentaries would put it, by this time the light was failing. 

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #2304 on: January 02, 2019, 02:25:40 am »

Spot the tin.....

Bullet, at first glance, I thought that was a full-size train carriage & wasn't until the second photo that I twigged - model!

James, that failing light down the line shot is really good!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 02:28:00 am by Banfili » Logged
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #2305 on: January 02, 2019, 12:12:35 pm »

Front skirts finished:

Added steps and handrail below the buffers.
No need for weathering in this scale as the step will get the patina by itself.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2306 on: January 02, 2019, 10:08:23 pm »

I started to extend the cutting top along, and quite quickly it gained an appearance suggestive of a 'Fukushima Cuttlefish'....

Before it got completely out of hand, I took the time to secure the edges and cut it all back.  The offcuts came in use later when I needed shorter lengths of paper.  

I soon reached the end of the knitting.  

Then came the obligatory down the line shot.  
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 10:11:39 pm by James Harrison » Logged
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #2307 on: January 03, 2019, 04:24:15 pm »

You might remember the green monster.
The 0-6-0 Diesel with the cursed VILLIERS F.07 motor.
After replacing every bearing, seal, the whole ignition system, the piston, the valves,... it ran for a few minutes, then lost the spark.
After cooldown, the procedure could be repeated.
I changed the carb jets to those specified in the manual.
Before the overhaul, the motor drew enough leakage air to run with the wrong ones.
One part I had overlooked till yesterday was the spark plug.
Manual states a Champion L10.
I checked the replacement list and found that the plug inside the motor was an NGK resistor type.
The type was also way too "hot".
Champion plugs are from 1 (cold) to 99 (hot).
They must be hot enough to burn any soot but cold enough not to cause early ignition (which is what caused the motor to hiss, bang and stop).
No idea how it could run at all.
Today I found an NGK replacement type for the L10.
(strangely, NGK have 10 for cold and 1 for hot)
While at it I took the roof off, sanded it down and sprayed it black.
Now I only have to find the right shade of green (Brunswick green) to repaint the body.
Saturday we will have a running session and the monster will be thoroughly tested then.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2308 on: January 05, 2019, 01:47:28 pm »

Excellent!

I'm plugging away with this cutting side and making fairly good, if slow, progess.  Because the topping is being constructed from saturated paper and glue means that realistically it needs to be given a day or two between modelling sessions to dry out.  I don't have any photos from last night's session but we graduated from strips of paper to torn-up thin cardboard, which when it's dried out will have a bit more resistance to it, as the next step planned is a thin crust of plaster.  Assuming I can find the bag of plaster I bought last year for the Cakebox model....

Meanwhile I've found why my to-do list never shortens, over Christmas I succeeded in building four wagons but then also succeeded in buying another pair of private owner coal wagon kits. 

I'm also expecting the rate of work to drop off sharply in the next few weeks, there's been a change in my circumstances which mean I'll be commuting further/ longer for at least a few months, but then thereafter might well mean that Rufford has somewhere to take form. 

Exciting times ahead!
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #2309 on: January 06, 2019, 01:22:20 pm »

Good running session yesterday for the green monster.
It ran until there was only 5mm of fuel left in the tank. (Gravity feed to the carb).
The new plug really makes the difference.
We ran for more than half an hour, mostly at full speed.
Speed also seems to have increased (little, but true).
Villiers F.07 motor, Worm reduction gear box 33 to 1, Reversing gearbox (originating from an old pillar drill).
So the increase in rpm does not give much increase in speed.
But the monster is a reliable runner now.

Now it is time to take the axles out and replace that *beeeep* pitch chain with something that is acailable on the market.
Also the sprockets on the axles will be replaced accordingly.
The chain seems to have been a timing chain from a petrol motor. The pitch is neither imperial nor metric.

Minx went, but the pumps need looking at.
Injector water feed from the tender admits air bubbles (and the injector then refuses to work).
Time to turn the tender upside down and re-do the plumbing.

Taigatrommel went and impressed the folks with its power.

Baggage railcar went.

New barbecue set was also "tested".

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2310 on: January 06, 2019, 02:10:47 pm »

Sounds like a fun day!

Because my photo plank was still almost sopping wet from Friday evening's work, yesterday I spent a few hours instead building a pair of wagon kits.  Lovely work, as they were pre-painted and pre-lettered, so all I have to do is to paint the insides now.  My stockpile of kits incidentally today is the same size it was Friday, the pair of kits built yesterday only arrived yesterday morning....
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #2311 on: January 06, 2019, 03:52:30 pm »

Update.

Märklin V65/13020 finished.

I already wrote about the technical overhaul. Now the body is back from the paintshop.
A friend removed the remains of the original paint and several layers or (tar brush) re-paints.
It took more than one litre of acetone and several dremel wire-brushes.

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2312 on: January 06, 2019, 04:33:56 pm »

Very, very nice!
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #2313 on: January 07, 2019, 04:47:58 am »

Very, very nice!

Oh, yes indeed, very, very lovely job, Bullet!
And kudos, James, for maintaining the pile!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2314 on: January 07, 2019, 09:35:17 pm »

What are we looking at here?

Back row-

Midland Railway covered van (part of the Christmas project)- now fitted up with transfers and finished.
Monckton private owner wagon (built yesterday)- now weathered and finished. 
South Leicester private owner wagon (built yesterday)- now weathered and finished. 

Front row-

London North Western Railway 6-ton open wagon (part of the Christmas project)- had been finished by New Year. 
London North Western Railway 10-ton coal wagon (part of the Christmas project)- had been finished by New Year.
Metropolitan Railway covered van (part of the Christmas project)- had been finished by New Year. 

Right, I think another night to be spent waiting on the cutting side to dry out and then I'll turn the photo plank around and start on the other side.   
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2315 on: January 09, 2019, 08:13:27 pm »

The cutting side has dried out so now work can continue. 

1. The barrow crossing has been fitted but the main bit in the 6' has come adrift and needs to be resecured.  Then I can bed the whole lot down with some more ballast, per the catalogue illustration. 

2. The flags and copings to the platforms still need a wash of thin black or grey paint.  This would then pretty much finish the platforms. 

3. Work has begun on the other cutting side and the remainder of the landscaping, first fix cardboard profiles and bunched up sheets of newspaper being fitted. 

4. One of the signals has arrived and is safely put away in storage waiting construction and fitting.  The other signal I'm waiting on delivery, but on reflection I think it might actually look a bit cramped if fitted to the photoplank, so will be put away in storage for use on the main layout. 

The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #2316 on: January 09, 2019, 09:11:13 pm »

Green monster in bits.
Replacing the sprockets and chains.
The chain tensioner springs put up quite a fight until I could remove them.
"gentle persuasion" helped.
New sprockets had 8mm hole.
Re-drilled to 11, then onto the lathe to get the final 12 mm to match the shaft.
Drilling 11 mm on my weak 500 W pillar drill was a challenge.
With all sprockets on the axles and the wheels and bearings back in place the wheelsets now have to go back into the frame.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #2317 on: January 10, 2019, 11:57:20 am »

Green Monster back in one piece. Some pics from yesterday:

Loco without wheelsets.

Villiers F.07 motor and friction clutch. Worm drive reduction gearbox (green) and reversing gearbox (silver, behind it).

Wheelsets without loco.
Axle bearing and wheel had to come off in order to replace the sprocket.

New sprockets. The small ones on top are for the chain tensioners.

Old sprocket on wheelset

Strange pattern. Never seen this before on a loco.

Comparison old and new sprockets. No idea why those of the two chain tensioners were of different sizes.

New chain and two different types of old chain.

Everything back in place:

Now with strong chains and matching sprockets I can cast some lead for better traction.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 12:09:19 pm by The Bullet » Logged
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2318 on: January 10, 2019, 07:39:45 pm »

Excellent!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2319 on: January 12, 2019, 07:56:40 pm »

Work on the photo plank. 

Having fitted the barrow crossing I ran a few pieces of stock over it and found a problem.  It's designed for track of a different profile and depth; so the upper surface sits proud of the rails.  It then gets hit by the wheels... the only solution I can think of is to lift the crossing, sand down the underside until it sits flush with the rail tops, and try again. 

With one side of the cutting pretty much finished, structurally speaking, time to look at the other side.  Bunched balls of newspaper to create the basic shape, then a mesh of paper, then torn lengths of cardboard over.  It's now soaking wet with a mix of PVA and water. 

Until it has dried out I can't do any more with it; so I've dug out some cattle wagon kits and I'm hoping this weekend to be able to make a start on them.  Meanwhile a Great Western covered carriage truck has arrived for construction...
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2320 on: January 13, 2019, 05:08:57 pm »

Both cutting sides progressing... although progress is currently a little on the slow side, I am plugging away at getting the landscaping laid out and I'm looking forward to being able to start getting the final thin coat of plaster down and modelling the grass and whatnot.  It looks reassuringly like the image I had in my head!
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #2321 on: January 13, 2019, 09:16:32 pm »

Great work.
When finished, can you show a few pics in black&white?
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2322 on: January 13, 2019, 10:16:05 pm »

Naturally!

Just to whet the appetite....

I often pose some stock on the photo plank to try to gauge whether things are going in the right way.  I think they are. 
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #2323 on: January 14, 2019, 01:57:36 am »

Nice work, James - coming along nicely!
Will look good in a moody, atmospheric B&W, too!
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #2324 on: January 15, 2019, 09:00:23 am »

Cast two blocks of lead yesterday. 5 x 3 x 17 cm.
They will go under the buffer beams of the green monster to increase traction.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: