The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 22, 2018, 09:20:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 82   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: James' non-SP model building thread  (Read 124852 times)
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #1875 on: February 09, 2018, 04:40:42 pm »

Well my home for mistreated kits has had its' first success.

This is the rather odd looking Kitmaster BR Mk.1 coach I got a few weeks ago, complete with damaged bogie, and weird livery of BR WR colours, BR numbering (at the wrong end on one side) and GWR crests.

Now the first step, (after the quick fix of gluing the bogie side into the right position) removing the GWR crests and the numbering at the wrong end. Annoyingly removing the transfers stripped the underlying paint as well so, applying the correct BR crests will have to wait until I've had chance to visit the model shop and get the right paint.

Now we have my own efforts of applying the necessary transfers to give it a vaguely correct number

And I also decided to strip the roof since it should be grey rather than black. I'd be willing to deal with a little bit of streaking from smoke/ash in the way of weathering, but an entire coat of matt black just isn't right.

I know I'm possibly being a little pedantic with this kit, especially since I'm not into finescale modeling or looking to run something entirely prototypical, but I don't really want to put up with something which I know is wrong, and I could easily correct.

Next step up is painting the Ratio open wagon, finishing my Cooper Craft kits. Then I'm waiting on delivery of a 2nd hand Whitemetal kit of a GWR Hall class (a little birthday present for myself), and I'm also bidding on a similar LMS Fowler 4F.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #1876 on: February 10, 2018, 10:27:21 pm »

Crane is working now. There was just a small bit or dirt in the absolutely right place to jam the turning gearbox....

As promised, pics of the crane:

Re-wired old QuickJoy:

up/down for the hook
rear button and up/down for the jib
left/right for turning the top
front button for a lifting magnet that can be attached to the hook.

Great fun lifting wagon wheels and loading them onto wagons or the VW truck parked next to the base.
Just need to stay clear of the lamps.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 10:31:10 pm by The Bullet » Logged

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1877 on: February 11, 2018, 01:37:35 am »

Nice crane, nice job and nice diorama, Bullet!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #1878 on: February 11, 2018, 12:36:29 pm »

Very impressive!

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1879 on: February 12, 2018, 08:09:18 pm »

The Humpy is finished!  Photos when the varnish has dried, as in its wet state it looks rather unfortunate. 

So; the next project.  RMS Mauretania, 1/600 scale, as she appeared in 1918. 

This is a conversion that has been done by others before, and ably and comprehensively written up: http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/misc/liners/600-Mauretania-jb/jb-review.html 

However; that conversion was more of a scratchbuild using the kit as a starting point; my conversion will be using the kit largely as-supplied with the extra necessary parts (some 6-inch guns, a rangefinder and lots [and lots and lots and lots] of collapsible lifeboats) scratchbuilt as necessary.  I'll also be applying the dazzle camouflage with paint and a brush, rather than using transfers. 

I'm really looking forward to making a start on this. 

The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #1880 on: February 13, 2018, 07:55:12 am »

GWR Loriot on the bench.

Frame set up and painted.
Buffers attached.
Supports for the top being worked on.

I have no idea what the builder used for measurement.
The frames are ok. The centre section of the flat top is 16 cm (!) too long, the inclined sections are 4cm too long and the end sections are 3 cm too short.
Now I know why he abandoned that project......

Lots of work to be done.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1881 on: February 13, 2018, 08:48:19 pm »

Pictures, as promised, of the finished tank engine.  Now I think that is quite a respectable result, from what was a toy.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1882 on: February 13, 2018, 08:54:23 pm »

And now on to the next project.  This one is going to be a big one...

This evening's work has been to build the hull and give it an all-over coat of Humbrol #40 pale grey.  The intention with this model is, as I have said, to try to build it as much as possible straight out of the box- the big challenge is going more to be to accurately recreate the camouflage. 
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1883 on: February 14, 2018, 04:04:04 am »

Bought a wooden sailing ship model ($5) from Vinnie's op (charity) shop in town this morning. It has a list of the parts and some minimalist instructions - a project for when I am laid up after 'me op' (foot) next month! It came in an Estee Lauder box, so have no idea of what ship it is, as yet. Going to be like a jigsaw, but without the picture. May have to see if I can find out some more info before I set to putting it together! Will investigate the box this arvo, and may also investigate/set up something on an image hosting site (& read posting instructions!)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 04:05:48 am by Banfili » Logged
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #1884 on: February 14, 2018, 08:00:33 am »

@James
Nice little tank. I like it.

Update on Märklin T66/12910:
She has left the paintshop.
I will get the loco body back this week so I can put it back together.

Work continues on the Loriot. Ripped the whole deck apart, had to remove 200+ nails.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1885 on: February 14, 2018, 06:29:00 pm »

@James
Nice little tank. I like it.

Work continues on the Loriot. Ripped the whole deck apart, had to remove 200+ nails.

Thanks.  Sounds like your Loriot was built by the same bloke who did the carpentry on my parents' extension- he only ever thought in terms of 9" nails at 6" centres...
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1886 on: February 14, 2018, 08:43:22 pm »

I had a decent go at the dazzle camouflage this evening.  I'm about three-quarters happy with it, specifically the three-quarters of it from the bridge back on both sides.  The diamond/ harlequin pattern around the bows drove me a little cross-eyed.  It's not quite right and I'm in two minds about that.  On the one hand it is wrong, but on the other it follows the general intentions of the original artist who drew it so it doesn't look obviously wrong. 

Now, the plan for tomorrow is generally to sharpen up the edges.  I'm also not convinced by the light blue; it looks too light and 'cartoony'.  I shall be seeing if I have a more appropriate colour.  The dark grey (RAF blue) and the pale grey I think look about right and will be quite spectacular once I have firmed up the edges. 
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #1887 on: February 15, 2018, 03:40:31 pm »

Well my 2nd hand kit building continues. These are my latest efforts.

The wagon on the left is the random Ratio open wagon I got, given a coat of GWR freight grey. The other is the first of my cooper craft kits. Annoyingly most of the transfers broke apart as I tried to move them into position (probably due to their age) so further detailing will have to wait until I've been able to get some appropriate transfers.

And this is my next major project:

The LMS Fowler 4F I mentioned bidding on a while ago. Irritatingly, due to me clicking the wrong box the Hall kit I won has been sent to my parents and so that will have to wait for a while.

I'm also bidding on another whitemetal kit for an LMS 4MT tank, which has me worried this buying these kits is becoming an addiction. On the plus side, I can see how James' project pile got so big.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1888 on: February 15, 2018, 05:58:25 pm »

Looking good.  (Try the HMRS range for transfers-speaking solely as a satisfied customer). 

I can see how James' project pile got so big.

Did I mention the Keilkraft tramcar I ordered on Saturday?  Embarrassed
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #1889 on: February 15, 2018, 10:42:12 pm »

Looking good.  (Try the HMRS range for transfers-speaking solely as a satisfied customer). 

Thanks for the recommendation. I used HMRS transfers for my Margate Pug, and the GWR coach. So far I've found them far easier to use, and more robust than other transfers I've used.

Tbh given how little staying power the ones from the kit seem to have (again probably due to their age) I'll probably see about replacing the existing ones with some HMRS transfers.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #1890 on: February 16, 2018, 11:21:48 pm »

Another O-gauge loco finished.

Before

After

It had been (greyish)blue in the beginning. Must have been dropped several times and finally dipped into black paint (or painted with a tar brush).
The boiler was not in line with the chassis. It was pointing about 15 degrees to the right. There were many gaps where the solder had broken.
There was no part that was not bent.
A friend took it apart and re-soldered the whole superstructure back together.

Another friend did the paintjob according to the old templates.
She´s beautiful......
Could never have done this myself.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:23:23 pm by The Bullet » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1891 on: February 17, 2018, 12:52:21 am »

Very well done, boys!

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1892 on: February 17, 2018, 10:48:53 am »

That is absolutely splendid.  Well done on reviving it!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1893 on: February 17, 2018, 01:32:19 pm »

Progress on HMT Mauretania.  I decided that the colours were slightly off so I repainted it in Humbrol #64, Humbrol #79 and Humbrol #114.  The colours now look more convincing.  Now with regards to the checkerboard pattern around the bows, the repaint gave me the opportunity to try to get this closer to prototype.  Rather than start over from scratch I decided to use what I already had as a guide.  So it's still not quite right, but it is certainly a lot closer. 

The port side is now finished and on the starboard side all that remains to do is the #64 areas.  Then I can look at the anti-fouling paint, inspection of photographs suggests that there wasn't a black waterline so that's one job that can be skipped.  Once that is done the hull will be finished and I can start on the decks.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1894 on: February 17, 2018, 05:11:13 pm »

Camouflage to the hull is now finished... and the first of the decks have been added.... now for the anti-fouling paint.  Then painting the decks (another few days work there).

The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #1895 on: February 19, 2018, 11:33:29 am »

Used the good weather yesterday to repair the storm damage to the signal box.
LAst monthe we had "a bit" of storm that flattened part of our fence and tore the roofing felt off the signal box roof.
(problems you do not have in HO/OO gauge....)
Took the bits off, ground away the old glue, messy job.
The I glued two sheets of 4mm plastic onto the roof and covered the top with 25 x 25 mm angle plastic.
This will stay in place...hopefully.
Spring maintenance to the point machines is due.
Next Saturday we want to run some trains.
Let´s hope for good weather.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #1896 on: February 19, 2018, 06:51:59 pm »

Well my stock of whitemetal kits seems to keep growing.

Over the weekend I've managed to obtain another 2 kits. Both of LMS Stannier 4MT tanks, one with a suitable Hornby chassis included.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1897 on: February 19, 2018, 08:13:04 pm »

Yes; they breed.  Quickly!

I'm not a great fan of whitemetal to be honest; having built one or two my experiences generally run to issues such as poor fitting of parts/ boilers that are egg-like in section, they destroy tools.... Now, I've no problem buying pre-built whitemetal kits and then repainting/ repairing them, but buying one in the flat and building it up out the box.... it's rarely I'll do that.  I've got two or three waiting their turn.  It also doesn't help that you have to be careful soldering them; linger too long with the iron and you end up with a pool of expensive molten metal.  The alternative is contact adhesive and/ or superglue, which also has its drawbacks. 

This is of course why my next planned project after the Mauretania is rehabilitating a pair of 1970s BEC whitemetal J11s....
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1898 on: February 19, 2018, 08:22:54 pm »

And speaking of Mauretania.... anti-fouling paint has been completed, which completes the basic hull.  I'm now starting to paint up the superstructure and the decks.  This is probably going to take a little while, one deck at a time...

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1899 on: February 21, 2018, 07:06:46 pm »

And then rising up a deck.  There are two or three more decks to go, and each one looks like it will take at least a few days to properly paint and finish.  Once the decks are in, I'll turn my attention to scratchbuilding the guns.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 82   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: