The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 20, 2018, 03:27:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 81 82   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: James' non-SP model building thread  (Read 124692 times)
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #1850 on: January 18, 2018, 06:36:26 pm »

If you could post a picture of the Ratio carriage bits I could (might be able to) assist in sorting out which bits of which kits you have.  I believe Peco will sell spare sprues from the kits, which would get you three full carriages probably for less than three full kits would cost. 

Thanks for the offer, I wasn't aware that spare sprues were available. Here's a picture of my bits (minus an odd set of sides).

I think it's fair to say the previous owner was part way through building one (hence the random end). Although closer examination reveals that the middle set of 'sides' may well be compartment/corridor walls as the coach with the floor in 2 bits has markings for partitions.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #1851 on: January 18, 2018, 07:04:29 pm »

Right, lets have a look-see.  Well, they're all from Ratio, which makes things a little easier. 

Top left of the photograph, you've got two underframe and floor sprues for either the Midland  48' suburban carriages or the clerestory carriages. 

Then top middle you've got one underframe sprue for the 50' LNWR mainline carriages. 

Down the right hand side you've got no fewer than four full sets of sides and compartments for the 50' LNWR carriages, but as noted only one underframe and floor for them....

Then you've got one random end for an LNWR carriage, and one sprue of compartment bulkheads for an LNWR carriage. 

I can't make my mind up whether the two bogie sprues are for a Midland or an LNWR carriage. 

In summary, you've got the lion's share of bits to build one LNWR carriage (excepting the roof, one end, seats, details and possibly bogies), a decent start for building three more (each of which you'd need to source floor, roof, compartments and bogies for) and... well I don't know what use you could put those Midland carriage floors to.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1852 on: January 20, 2018, 10:28:58 am »

I'm now working up the assembled part of the model; the upper surfaces of the wings have had two coats of paint, the lower surfaces still need to be painted.  Then the struts need to be painted, then I can look at the underside. 
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1853 on: January 20, 2018, 12:30:27 pm »

They were a beautiful machine, indeed.
More years ago than I care to remember I had a collection of model planes, mostly WWI, and of sailing ships. I could never afford the big, long ones, so they were all quite small. My longest was a Viking ship - I was very proud of that one, and it did make several moves with me, but they were all lost along the way as I moved from place to place, alas! My younger brother's were small too, which made it easier for the diorama photos - will have see if I can find a couple.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1854 on: January 20, 2018, 06:42:58 pm »

It's only been comparatively recently that I've got back into aeroplanes.  I started with warships nearly 20 years ago; I had a small collection as a child of things my Father had built (a few warships and WWII aircraft) but the aircraft slowly got culled until up to a few years ago all I had was a large collection of warships. 

Since then the warships have slowly been culled- nothing smaller than a cruiser now, and most of my early efforts have gone- but at the same time I've been slowly building up my collection of WWI aircraft. 

At the same time of course much of my time and effort has been ploughed into building locomotives and rolling stock.... talking of which.... a crane arrived yesterday in need of some TLC and, if that weren't enough, I've also gone and bought another whitemetal loco that will need attention. 

Like I say, the resolution to concentrate on existing and queued projects is going quite well...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1855 on: January 21, 2018, 01:14:20 am »

James, resolutions have a habit of doing that to you!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1856 on: January 21, 2018, 06:00:47 pm »

Wings are now fully painted, so I've added the tail and built the engine block.  This really is a absolute joy to build. 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1857 on: January 27, 2018, 05:47:37 pm »

Finished now.  Overall this was a very well-thought-out kit, a joy to build.  Instructions could have been a little easier to comprehend in places, the transfers could have been much better (not so much in design so much as in quality). 

Now then, that locomotive I started....
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #1858 on: January 28, 2018, 09:24:45 am »

Finished the "bits-n-bobs" covered goods van yesterday.
(Made from leftover parts found in the workshop)
Looks good alongside the other one.
Differences being axle boxes, ventilation and other minor details.
So now I have two additional covered vans that can be used as driving trucks.
Lift the roof, get the footrests (M12 screws) from the hooks, screw them into the frame and that`s it.
I will take it more slowly now as a recent count has shown 27 vans/wagons/coaches.
Where did those come from? I only built a few, bought even less.....
*tries to look innocent but fails*
The GWR Loriot is next to be finished. It should be easy to fit that flat thing somewhere.
Problems will arise when the P3.1 and Diesel come back from friend´s workshops as the empty space they have left behind was quickly used for other stuff....

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1859 on: January 28, 2018, 12:07:51 pm »

I will take it more slowly now as a recent count has shown 27 vans/wagons/coaches.
Where did those come from? I only built a few, bought even less.....
*tries to look innocent but fails*

So that's where I caught it from.... the sudden realisation I've got enough stock to be able to run a real railway I mean.  It must be catching. 

The empty space thing is an almost universal problem.  I was at Ruddington (just outside Nottingham) a few months ago being shown around a locomotive and rolling stock works.  Big huge hangar-type building with three tracks running through it, inspection pit, wheel lathes.... the works, basically.  One line was being used to service working locomotives, one line had three old steam locos parked on it in various states of reconstruction and the third line had an Edwardian carriage in it being restored.  The group restoring the carriage had been hoping to get another of their projects under cover (there had previously been two century-old carriages in that road) but between moving the finished carriage out and getting around to pulling another ruin out of their to-do pile, the railways's Signalling & Telegraph department found and bagged the new space.  Bagged the space by putting a load of signalling equipment in it!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1860 on: January 28, 2018, 03:24:20 pm »

Finished now.  Overall this was a very well-thought-out kit, a joy to build.  Instructions could have been a little easier to comprehend in places, the transfers could have been much better (not so much in design so much as in quality). 

Now then, that locomotive I started....

Lovely; she looks like she could fly straight off the table.

Yours,
Miranda.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1861 on: January 28, 2018, 04:57:55 pm »

I hope not; it took long enough to build it without having to repair it from a C-FIT too!  Cheesy

It certainly makes a nice addition to my airwing. 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1862 on: January 28, 2018, 08:09:23 pm »

And so to crack on with the shunting loco.  You should know by now that Hednesford No.1 Shop doesn't stand idle for more than about five minutes....

Anyway. The prototype. 

The starting point. 

And now, to continue....

Last time I discussed this model I had gotten as far as cutting it up into several pieces with a view to lowering the body.  So, to continue that idea, I took some measurements from my drawing (since starting this model I've taken delievery of a model railway magazine dated December 1968 with scale drawings of this engine) and I used a pair compasses to scribe lines onto the loco body to demarcate where I should place my cuts.  The saddle tank needs to lose the bottom 6mm or so; the cab and bunker need to lose about 4mm from their bottom.  The relationship between cab roof and top of the saddle tank is just about right so the datum point of the model is taken as being about the joint between saddle tank and cab, and the tops of the saddle tank and the cab roof. 

After some fairly major surgery to the cabsheets and the saddle tank.  To be able to lower the bodywork I need to turn thebody around on the chassis.... or turn the chassis around under the body.... in any case the motor no longer sits in the smokebox but rather protrudes into the cab.  The knock-on effect of this is that in the rear of the bunker two slits now needed to be filed to accommodate a pair of cast-metal 'hooks' in the chassis that hold the body in place. 

The saddle tank and cab then had a lot of wrong or unneccessary detail sanded off.  Rain strips on the cab roof, the dome, the safety valves, rivets on the saddle tank.... all removed.  Then a new whitemetal dome was fitted.  This was I think a spare from a kit.  Then it was refitted to the running plate and the wbole body offered up to the chassis to check firstly it all fits and secondly it all looks good.  Well, I think it looks a lot better!

The smokebox at this point purely a push-fit so I then took that off again, sawed off the chimney, and went into my sparesbox again, returning with a brass casting for a GCR-pattern tapered chimney.  This was then glued into the smokebox, which was then reinstated. 

Yes, there we go. 
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #1863 on: January 30, 2018, 07:51:16 am »

Spending some money.
I just ordered a boiler feed pump for the P3.1
Steam-powered and disguised as a Westinghouse air pump.

When the P3.1 is finished, my trusty Swallow (aka The bullet) will also receive a steam pump.
She only has hand pump and axle pump.
So on open days when traffic is slow or the line is blocked the axle pump is useless and working the hand pump for longer time is not that much fun....
As she has side tanks, an injector will not work.

The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #1864 on: January 31, 2018, 10:42:00 am »

No Idea when I showed the last pic of the P3.1

Here it is:

Boiler still off as some more plumbing is necessary for the pump.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1865 on: January 31, 2018, 01:22:06 pm »

That's a lovely piece of work.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #1866 on: February 03, 2018, 04:38:21 pm »

WARNING! PIC HEAVY POST!

I've recently realised I've not been updating people on my work. Well here goes:

First off we have my weathered shunting tractor:

The Footplate crew for my Margate Pug:

And the work I've done to interior of the box itself:

And just a final picture to give a rough impression of where I currently am with this project.

I've also got a Dapol platform kit I've half built to break up the scene a little, but I'm waiting until I've been able to sort out the ground cover before I add that.

I've also made a start with my 2nd hand haul, and have a complete 6 plank mineral wagon ready for painting (and having the wheels added), and have assembled the underframes for one of my cooper craft kits.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #1867 on: February 03, 2018, 04:57:41 pm »

Whoops!

My locos started slowing down on a certain section of track.
(Least accessible in the cornder of course...)
I suspected a faulty joint.
Out went my test loco. This is one that draws a high current even at slow speeds. This makes it perfect to find weak rail joints.
After the loco passed this joint, she slowed down and....the joint emitted orange light until the loco had left the section.
Visual resistance indication......
Another feed cable to the other side of that joint, problem solved.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1868 on: February 03, 2018, 11:18:17 pm »

All looking good! Waiting to see the finished product for the diorama.

I do like it when a technical problem can be solved, too - gives on a real sense of achievement! Your setup must be quite complicated, Bullet.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #1869 on: February 03, 2018, 11:50:48 pm »

Your setup must be quite complicated, Bullet.

Not really complicated but big and old.
O-gauge tinplate. Old tracks so feed points almost every metre.
Some rail joints increase in resistance over time so an additional feed cable is needed.

The inner circuit is a folded figure "8" with two stations along the way.
The outer circuit is just a circle with one branch line leading to a small station uphill.
Each curcuit has its own controller.
To move a train from one to the other, the controllers can be set to operate both circuits.

I guess I must take some pics....
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1870 on: February 04, 2018, 09:59:54 am »

I guess you must, Bullet!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1871 on: February 04, 2018, 04:53:47 pm »

Progress on the little saddletank.  This week I have been fabricating some new 'cheeks', I suppose you could call them, running down from the saddle tank to the running plate.  I can't model the boiler as such as the motor and chassis get in the way.  Speaking of the chassis, the original one I found had pizza-cutter wheels with very deep flanges that couldn't run on my Code 75 track without bumping along the sleepers.  Fortunately I had an identical chassis of a slightly more recent vintage (and whose wheels were slightly more suitable)- it's a plug in replacement.  A rare easy victory there. 

I've also been looking at the splashers, and I've cut the bunker down.  I still need to look at the running plate, I still need to create new cab sheets and there are details and heavy work alike aplenty to go before this gets anywhere near completion.  But we're getting there.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1872 on: February 08, 2018, 06:07:54 pm »

And we're about ready for some paint....

There have been a couple of interesting challenges with this one.  Firstly the safety valves, which barely protrude above the saddletank.  The way I solved this was to take the original safety valves and cut them right down, then I used some plastic sheet to form the bar above.  Secondly the saddletank filler cap.  I started this by using a holepunch to produce several 5mm diameter plastic circles.  These I then glued together to give me a solid plastic cylinder, 5mm across by about 5mm high.  This I then banded up with some cartridge paper.  Putting that aside for a while, I took a 5mm drillbit to the saddle tank to give me a 5mm hole, which then needed filing out to about 6mm for a comfortable push fit. 

Handrails are simply lengths of 0.64mm diameter plastic rod, as are the coal rails.  There are a few extra bits and pieces still to fabricate and fit, but those can wait until after painting.   
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1873 on: February 08, 2018, 11:30:25 pm »

Nice!
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #1874 on: February 09, 2018, 07:40:00 am »

*curses*

Found a crane on Flea-Bay. About 40cm high. Homebuilt by someone long ago.
Well built, cheap, wiring and motors shot. Seemed a good project and a useful addition to the layout.
Took it apart, replaced all three motors.
(hook, jib and turn)
Tested a thousand times. Did the complete re-wiring, tested again, put the lot back together and....
Hook and jib move up and down as they should, turning motor  is blocked.
*beeeeeeeeeep*
Of course this is the least accessible part as it is inside the girders forming the base.
Everything must come off again.

The big plan is to use an old joystick to operate it.
up/down for the hook
button#2 and up/down for the jib
left/right for turning the top
button #1 for a lifting magnet that can be attached to the hook.

I guess I will take it apart this evening and see what went wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 81 82   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: