The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 15, 2018, 11:33:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... 88   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: James' non-SP model building thread  (Read 138522 times)
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #1650 on: September 08, 2017, 05:17:02 pm »

Currently refurbishing two gauge 1 signals.

The distant has a solenoid opersting a ratchet mechanism.
After half a turn it pushes a contact and stops.

Took a bit of time to get it back to life.

Replacing missing lamp covers and other small bits now.

Pics to follow when the paint is dry and the parts are in place.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #1651 on: September 10, 2017, 12:35:23 pm »

Right, sitrep.

The first of the rake, a six-compartment all-first, is finished.  My usual varnishing/ sealing method of diluted PVA seems to have gone on a little blotchy; second coat needed to finish I think- though it shows worse in photographs than it does in the flesh.  In any case, I am very happy with how this first carriage has turned out- far, far better than my attempts at 1898 stock, which I think are now destined for the breakers' yard.

The second in the rake is going to a five-compartment brake composite; progress so far has seen the bodywork basically finished and glazed and the interior bulkheads and false ceiling done.  The plan for today's modelling session is to crack on with the seating.  The photographs I am working from show one of the corridor side windows blanked out- I can't tell however whether this is paint on the inside of the window or a blind which has been drawn.  I'm erring toward the latter as- well, why go to the expense of putting in a large picture window just to paint it out?

The third in the rake is a seven-compartment all-third.  Again the bodywork is more or less done but the interior has not yet been started.

A word on the interiors; I'm only building a suggestive interior consisting of compartments, seats and (where applicable) the corridor.  With this rake I'm trying to use some spare Ian Kirk sides I bought a few years ago (it gets them out of my spares box and saves me using more plastic sheet, not that I'm running out of the stuff).

Quite unexpectedly this is now going to become a four-carriage rake rather than a three!- through the good offices of a fellow modeller I have sourced another brake carriage.  I am currently debating whether this will eventually become a second five-compartment brake compo or a four-compartment brake.  I have the photographs for the former and a drawing for the latter. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1652 on: September 10, 2017, 10:26:17 pm »

I just thought I'd mention that tonight BBC4 transmitted a documentary on the history of modal railways, which included a nice potted history of Hornby and its rivals; I'd expect it will be available on iPlayer for a while.

Yours,
Miranda.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #1653 on: September 11, 2017, 03:41:03 pm »

Well, after a busy couple of days adjusting to (temporary) life with my parents I thought I'd upload a shot of my new loco (mainly as a 'before' picture as a point of comparison).

I don't plan on doing a lot to it in terms of weathering or renumbering it, partly because it's been finished to a good standard already, but mainly because the sort of branch line Trelawney is based on wouldn't have been particularly high on anyone's list of priorities and so I think I can get away with leaving it in 'ex works' condition as a loco fresh out of an overhaul towards the end of the 1947-52 period that the livery ties it into.

My main efforts I think will be looking at detailing it (such as adding a real coal load) since this:

doesn't really look particularly good. I might also see about adding a crew (or at least a driver hanging out of the cab since the internal space is so limited).

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1654 on: September 11, 2017, 06:19:14 pm »

I just thought I'd mention that tonight BBC4 transmitted a documentary on the history of modal railways, which included a nice potted history of Hornby and its rivals; I'd expect it will be available on iPlayer for a while.

Yours,
Miranda.

Shall go hunting that out!- I was watching "Curse of Oak Island" on one of the other channels. 

Well, after a busy couple of days adjusting to (temporary) life with my parents I thought I'd upload a shot of my new loco (mainly as a 'before' picture as a point of comparison).

I don't plan on doing a lot to it in terms of weathering or renumbering it, partly because it's been finished to a good standard already, but mainly because the sort of branch line Trelawney is based on wouldn't have been particularly high on anyone's list of priorities and so I think I can get away with leaving it in 'ex works' condition as a loco fresh out of an overhaul towards the end of the 1947-52 period that the livery ties it into.

My main efforts I think will be looking at detailing it (such as adding a real coal load) since this:

doesn't really look particularly good. I might also see about adding a crew (or at least a driver hanging out of the cab since the internal space is so limited).

I like that.  Looking forward to seeing what you do to it. 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1655 on: September 16, 2017, 11:50:08 am »

Well, the second of my carriages is now finished.  I say 'finished', except for one last transfer.  I ran out of '1's.  (Why do the transfer makers give you lots and lots of the ones you don't need and never enough of the ones you actually use?).  Work is now proceeding on the third in the set whilst the fourth is sitting on a shelf awaiting attention.  I have decided that a pair of older carriages I built are to be scrapped- I can re-use the ends off of one of them on this fourth carriage- which is going to be a four compartment brake composite. 

Now once these carriages are finished I will be turning my attentions back toward the card carriage kits I was looking at earlier this year, of which I have two to build.  By that time I think I will be tired of carriage building for a good while so I'll be picking up something completely different.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #1656 on: September 16, 2017, 12:59:44 pm »

@James:
If you need custom transfers, I have a good supplier.
He does absulotely anything you can imagine.
I have his transfers on my bavarian PtL 2/2, Tender snowplough, wine barrel wagon (he even did the Georgian font), railcar and some more.

http://www.andreas-nothaft.de/index.php/decals-mainmenu-27

Page is in German only. If you need any help, let me know.

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1657 on: September 16, 2017, 01:24:21 pm »

@James:
If you need custom transfers, I have a good supplier.
He does absulotely anything you can imagine.
I have his transfers on my bavarian PtL 2/2, Tender snowplough, wine barrel wagon (he even did the Georgian font), railcar and some more.

http://www.andreas-nothaft.de/index.php/decals-mainmenu-27

Page is in German only. If you need any help, let me know.

Thanks!  - I'll bear him in mind if my usual source lets me down.  Carriage decals are easy enough- the LNER types will do in lieu of anything else- for locos though I'm using new-old stock from a defunct manufacturer (though there are rumours of new GCR transfers coming soon). 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1658 on: September 20, 2017, 04:54:02 pm »

Some transfers arrived- brake composite now finished. 

The all-third is also approaching completion, with the interior built and the roof fitted (though not yet detailed).  All told, these three carriages look very well.  Now the fourth of them- well, I have new bogies and new carriage ends delivered and I guess I should crack on with it before I start loosing bits. 
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #1659 on: September 20, 2017, 07:35:54 pm »

Still looking for a WORKING Ignition coil for my 5" gauge 0-6-0 Diseasel.
It has a Villier F.07 motor.
I have had three NOS (New old stock) with all the same failure scenario.
Runs fine at first and as soon as it gets warm the spark becomes weak and misses.

Can anyone help?
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1660 on: September 23, 2017, 03:17:46 pm »

If it is a piece of vintage kit you might have problems sourcing reliable spare parts; something the classic car crowd tend to run into ('these new reproduction bits aren't nearly as good as the 1970-some-odd factory originals....')

If it is three identical failures either you've been really unlucky with the spares or the problem might be further along?
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1661 on: September 23, 2017, 03:21:04 pm »

Suddenly I find myself with three carriages....

The all first I finished weeks ago, the brake composite finished last week and now the all third joins the set.  Aside from needing final painting, transfers and varnish. 

Now the final member of the set, another brake composite, well....  I have shortened the underframes and the sides, fitted new ends, fitted new bogies.  Structurally it's well on the way.  With regards to the interior and the paint job though it's not yet even started!

Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #1662 on: September 23, 2017, 07:42:40 pm »

After trip out today (and an eyeopening detour to the local model shop), work has progressed yet further on Trelawney. I've couple more wagons; one is 10ft cattle truck in GWR grey (which I'm in the process of weathering), and the other a 15ft tarpaulin wagon kit which although structurally complete needs painting. I've also done a bit of work on my loco.

For reference, this is how it looked when I got my hands on it:

And now it looks like this:

The driver is a Noch figure I bought and cut off at the waist to accommodate the blanking chip you can just see in the first picture. And I've added a real coal load to the bunker which does look a lot nicer than the plastic thing that was there.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1663 on: September 24, 2017, 10:20:08 am »

I like that.  Are you considering weathering it?
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #1664 on: September 24, 2017, 10:43:32 am »

Had a good running day yesterday.
Weather was brilliant.

small battery electric shunter, railcar and Super Claud were in operation.
Claud had my three car artic set. This thing is a huge and heavy compromise between a "real" model and a "bare" riding truck. I guess the two met about half way. The bogies are completely unsprung. Many folks told me it would derail anywhere, but it does the absolute opposite. It does not derail and with an adult sitting on the front unit (operating the loco) there is enough weight that even a "very active" child cannot get it to derail. We had some friends with babies and children so the long and wide seats were just right.
A friend drove the Claud most of the time. During the last maintenance session I did some work on the ratchet oiler as it sometimes failed to lock and so did not deliver the full amount it should. After about 6 hours of driving the driver was well weathered. He and the boiler top and loco roof were well sprinkled with oil. Lubricator works well. Now I can adjust it to deliver a bit less.
Our little daughter (born August 2nd) also "did" the first laps of the track.
There was only one small problem. One of the riding trucks kept derailing on a set of facing points. Only on one set and only when it diverged to the right. The cause was easily found. One wheel had come lose on the axle. So then the guard rail made contact with the flange id did not pull the whole axle but only the wheel so the other flange hit the frog, climbed it and caused the derailment. I will weld that wheel back in place later today.
Claud ran well and both injectors worked.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1665 on: September 24, 2017, 10:58:23 am »

Had a good running day yesterday.
Weather was brilliant.

small battery electric shunter, railcar and Super Claud were in operation.
Claud had my three car artic set. This thing is a huge and heavy compromise between a "real" model and a "bare" riding truck. I guess the two met about half way. The bogies are completely unsprung. Many folks told me it would derail anywhere, but it does the absolute opposite. It does not derail and with an adult sitting on the front unit (operating the loco) there is enough weight that even a "very active" child cannot get it to derail. We had some friends with babies and children so the long and wide seats were just right.
A friend drove the Claud most of the time. During the last maintenance session I did some work on the ratchet oiler as it sometimes failed to lock and so did not deliver the full amount it should. After about 6 hours of driving the driver was well weathered. He and the boiler top and loco roof were well sprinkled with oil. Lubricator works well. Now I can adjust it to deliver a bit less.
Our little daughter (born August 2nd) also "did" the first laps of the track.
There was only one small problem. One of the riding trucks kept derailing on a set of facing points. Only on one set and only when it diverged to the right. The cause was easily found. One wheel had come lose on the axle. So then the guard rail made contact with the flange id did not pull the whole axle but only the wheel so the other flange hit the frog, climbed it and caused the derailment. I will weld that wheel back in place later today.
Claud ran well and both injectors worked.

That sounds like a really enjoyable afternoon well spent- after reading your accounts of struggles in the workshop with things not going right, afternoons like that make it all worthwhile Smiley
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1666 on: September 24, 2017, 11:03:47 am »

It's a little time away yet, but the Warley model railway exhibition is coming up in November.  Usually it clashes with the WMSA outing to the Worcester Christmas Market, but this year (for the first time in..... ever) it doesn't, so I can do both. 

I'm planning to go with a couple of friends, if anybody else wants to come along and we can make a little party of it they would be more than welcome.  The venue is the National Exhibition Centre outside of Birmingham, next to the airport and a railway station with fast frequent direct services to London, Birmingham and the North- so it's not exactly remote and fairly accessible. 

This is one of the largest shows of its kind in the UK and promises to be a good day out. 
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #1667 on: September 24, 2017, 11:15:38 am »

I like that.  Are you considering weathering it?

Not at this stage. I might add some light weathering in the future (say some grime and gunk in the chassis) but I think I'll leave it until my skills have improved.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #1668 on: September 24, 2017, 01:20:25 pm »

Currently on the bench:

French Hornby O Gauge 0-E 0-4-0 Loco and Tender SNCF black, 20v Electric.

this one had been fitted with a rectifier to run on DC. One of the motor windings had been disconnected and broke off as soon as I tried to re-attach the wire. Fortunately there was enough left to solter a new wire to. It broke about 0.5mm from the point where it enters the inner (like always) layer of the coil.
Runs ok now but the original round brushed have been lost and replaced by square ones.
I tried to find round replacement carbon brushed but to no avail.
The holders have an inner diameter of a tiny bit less than 3mm.
does anyone from across the channel know a good supplier?
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1669 on: September 24, 2017, 01:40:18 pm »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Progress-Products-brushes-for-French-Hornby-B0B0-and-PO-locos-also-LR-/112545626798?hash=item1a343dfaae:g:v3sAAOSwZVlXsOOy

Like this sort? 
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #1670 on: September 25, 2017, 07:40:54 am »

It's a little time away yet, but the Warley model railway exhibition is coming up in November.  Usually it clashes with the WMSA outing to the Worcester Christmas Market, but this year (for the first time in..... ever) it doesn't, so I can do both. 

I'm planning to go with a couple of friends, if anybody else wants to come along and we can make a little party of it they would be more than welcome.  The venue is the National Exhibition Centre outside of Birmingham, next to the airport and a railway station with fast frequent direct services to London, Birmingham and the North- so it's not exactly remote and fairly accessible. 

This is one of the largest shows of its kind in the UK and promises to be a good day out. 

I may well be interested in making the trip up there for the ticket price. I'll have to see about taking the time off work, and maybe booking into a hotel for a couple of nights (just to make life easier) but I'll mull it over.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #1671 on: September 25, 2017, 08:51:41 pm »

I had a sudden realisation last night that with the latest additions to my rolling stock that I must have something close to a full train.

One impromptu photo session later and this is the result

Obviously I want to make a few finishing touches to a couple of the wagons (such as a tarpaulin and paint job on the tarpaulin wagon, and with a proper weathering job on the cattle wagon). I also want to get a couple more wagons to enhance the 'puzzle' aspect (and just stop it being possible to marshal all the wagons into one siding).

But all in all I'd say Trelawney is currently around 80% finished since (other than the aforementioned weathering) most of the work left is a simple matter of scenics (most of which will be adding ground cover). I'm still undecided about adding a backdrop, but the end may well be in sight.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1672 on: September 25, 2017, 09:06:09 pm »

Marvellous!

Speaking of cattle wagons, I have a set of five (one built, four to build) that will, ultimately, look a little something like this. 

Of particular note is the limewash.  The loco is in a dirty condition, so you can't read the tender lettering, however the brass numberplate suggests it to be pre-1923.  However, in 1923/24 new numberplates were still being cast- it wasn't until 1925 that there seems to have been a push to remove the numberplates in favour of transfers. 

Anyway, yes, getting sidetracked- limewash.  That it's there at all fixes the photo at no later than 1927.  It was outlawed then as the stuff, being caustic, damaged animal hooves and caused unnecessary suffering.  Thereafter the wagon floors were hosed down with some or other synthetic concotion, rather than the lower half of the body being liberally daubed over with lime after every few trips.  It's one of those sort of little details that really sets the era of a model.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #1673 on: September 25, 2017, 09:28:53 pm »

Marvellous!

Speaking of cattle wagons, I have a set of five (one built, four to build) that will, ultimately, look a little something like this. 

Of particular note is the limewash.  The loco is in a dirty condition, so you can't read the tender lettering, however the brass numberplate suggests it to be pre-1923.  However, in 1923/24 new numberplates were still being cast- it wasn't until 1925 that there seems to have been a push to remove the numberplates in favour of transfers. 

Anyway, yes, getting sidetracked- limewash.  That it's there at all fixes the photo at no later than 1927.  It was outlawed then as the stuff, being caustic, damaged animal hooves and caused unnecessary suffering.  Thereafter the wagon floors were hosed down with some or other synthetic concotion, rather than the lower half of the body being liberally daubed over with lime after every few trips.  It's one of those sort of little details that really sets the era of a model.

Ooh, thanks for that. Something interesting to file away for future reference. I plan to mucky up the interior a little if I can along with the exterior weathering but that about it.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #1674 on: September 26, 2017, 11:25:26 am »

Hi James,

thanks for the link. I contacted the seller. Very helpful chap. Two sets of brushes are on the way.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... 88   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: