The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 17, 2014, 11:09:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Change your password now! And see our official statement on Heartbleed impact

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: easy raygun tutorial  (Read 1577 times)
josecou
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« on: October 18, 2011, 06:49:09 am »

I was perusing youtube and I found this simple and cool tutorial. I tried it myself, and the result is awesome. Check it out

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TUjoe03VCw
Herbert West
Zeppelin Admiral

Daguerreotypes or it didn't happen.

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 02:49:31 pm »

What a silly person. But thanks for the link!

But darnit, now I want to hit the toy store and see what they've got. Although you can bet I'm going to sand down the seams and logos, and maybe add a few extra details before painting.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 02:39:26 am by Herbert West » Logged

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
Otto Von Pifka
Rogue Ætherlord

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 11:16:55 am »

I like to use those big poofy brushes for putting on blush type makeup. they can tend to shed bristles but they're cheap to buy at dollar stores and they work great if you don't dip into the paint. I use a paper plate and a dribble of paint in the center. dab the brush straight down into the paint and then brush in a circle around on the plate until the silver is more spread onto the bristle tips and only barely streaks silver down. then its ready to drybrush some silver onto whatever you paint. practice makes perfect, you get the feel of how much paint topick up and how much to rub off in circles before using it.

also flat black or satin black paint as a base grabs the silver better and is easier to dry brush over. if you find the silver too bright, just clear coat it after its good and dry. the silver will dull and darken down to a more gunmetal look. I usually use a satin or matte clear and if it seems too dull, a final coat of gloss will pick it up.
dry brushing gold will look alot like brass after clear coating. much more than a wet coat of gold then clear coating.
I jike to add some black paste wax shoe pollish after the clear coat is well good and dry (days or a week later) load it on good and buff it lightly, don't overdo the buffing in cracks or crevasses so it looks all grungy.
sir kitto
Gunner
England England

Engineer for the movement

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 04:23:27 pm »

What a spiffing tutorial old chap! will try this myself.
Raynard F-F-Fox
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Hussar!

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 09:24:15 pm »

Tongue
What a brilliant and easy way toi create such a good effect. I have created rayguns before and I would also recommend sanding down most of the surfaces, that way you are sure that it will survive wear and tear. Smiley
Francis J. Hemsworth
Deck Hand

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 06:39:29 am »

A fine tutorial, my good sir. A tip of the hat to you.
-Francis J. Hemsworth

Howdy, ya'll!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: