Author Topic: Portland, Oregon sights and sounds n'stuff  (Read 1075 times)

Sir A Poiselamppe

• Zeppelin Overlord
  • Inventor of the Homing Battenburgram
    • Facebook
Portland, Oregon sights and sounds n'stuff
« on: September 30, 2011, 11:14:10 pm »
Hello one and all....

Good friends of mine are getting married in a couple of weeks and a s part of the honeymoon are taking a road trip across through America...

One of their stopovers is in Portland in which they will be staying overnight. My question is this:

Are/What vintage/steampunk venues , shops, sights nearby (given for the English definition of far)

Naomi is especially keen on vintage clothing.... and has expresses an interest in Steampunk... and the pair of them regularly attend the chap Olympiad...

Any thoughts/ suggestions would be welcomed....

Mr. Winter

• Gunner
Re: Portland, Oregon sights and sounds n'stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 11:50:48 pm »
I just moved back to Portland, so I'm afraid I'm not much help. Worry not. I have asked on other, local boards for help. Frankly, I need the same information- let's hope it works.

Oh, a bit more information might help- when the happy couple will be here, things like that.

lavenderfae

• Deck Hand
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 02:25:50 pm »
For starters, I recommend a visit to the Pittock Mansion. www.pittockmansion.org  Also, if you have interests along these lines, Lone Fir Cemetery is a wonderful place where many of the founders of our fair city are buried. www.friendsoflonefircemetery.org

EDITED TO ADD: I forgot about an excellent vintage shop, which has among other things an excellent selection of hats, Hollywood Vintage. (Yes, it's in Portland. There is a neighbourhood called Hollywood.) http://www.hollywoodvintage.com/

As for vintage shopping, Red Light Clothing Exchange is popular, and often interesting. www.redlightclothingexchange.com You will find more vintage shopping on SE Hawthorne as well. I don't doubt there is plenty to be had on the west side of the river, also, but I'll let others who are more familiar with those streets answer to that.

For coffee or tea in an interesting setting, I suggest Pied Cow on SE Belmont around 32nd, or Rimsky-Korsakoffee House at 707 Southeast 12th Avenue.

Enjoy your Portland visit!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 03:57:26 pm by lavenderfae »

VampirateMace

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Mein Hexapod
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 04:19:45 am »
Haven't been in many years, but Pittock Mansion is a popular Portland attraction.

Downtown there are several old theaters and halls. The Crystal Ballroom is lovely, so you can see if there is any band/group playing/preforming there that they are intrested in hearing/seeing. OMSI's down there too, the museum building used to belong to the GE, so there's still color coated valves and an old generator in the Turbine hall, as well as the Oregon Clock... but beware, it is advertised as a children's museum (despite some of the the more mature traveling exhibits that stop there), so there'd probably be a lot of kids.

A nice thing in Portland is that there's the MAX electric train which can take them from airport, stopping close several hotels, at about $2 a trip, or $5 all day if they want to use the transit system to wander between the city's attractions.