Author Topic: September 27: Victorian Fashion Lecture in Carlisle, Pennsylvania  (Read 1038 times)

Madame Curatrix

• Snr. Officer
September 27: Victorian Fashion Lecture in Carlisle, Pennsylvania
« on: September 22, 2011, 02:19:58 pm »
What: VICTORIAN FASHION: FRILLS AND FURBELOWS: What Lies Beneath?
Where: Cumberland County Historical Society, Carlisle PA
When: September 27, 2011 at 7:00 PM
Who: Speaker Dr. Karen Bohleke, Library Director and Archivist of the Shippensburg University Fashion Archives and Museum
What will be Discussed?: Come and learn about nineteenth-century women’s fashions: different layers they wore and why, and the facts and fiction about corsets. The speaker will also talk about etiquette and relevant dress-related culture.
Cost: FREE!
Web: http://www.historicalsociety.com/

A friend of mine who works at the Cumberland County Historical Society gave me a heads-up about an educational lecture event that doubtless will be of interest to fashion historians, historical reenactors, and of course, STEAMPUNKS! As I understand it, Dr. Bohleke is extremely knowledgeable about period fashion, particularly due to her work at the Shippensburg University Fashion Archives (Website for the Fashion Archives: http://webspace.ship.edu/fasharch/).

I think it would be great if some of us could show up in costume as a way to both show support for the Historical Society's programming and perhaps garner interest for the Steampunk movement. The event is free and open to the public and in proximity to several restaurants, if you want to grab dinner before or after the program. I'll be there, but probably a bit late because of classes.

Hope to see you there!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 05:47:11 pm by Madame Curatrix »

Madame Curatrix

• Snr. Officer
Re: September 27: Victorian Fashion Lecture in Carlisle, Pennsylvania
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 06:54:23 pm »
Only a couple days away! Anyone interested? :)

Madame Curatrix

• Snr. Officer
Re: September 27: Victorian Fashion Lecture in Carlisle, Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 05:00:30 pm »
Just one last reminder in hopes that any of you can attend. It's basically a free presentation about Corsets! What's not to like? :D