The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 09, 2021, 08:37:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mustasches & Facial hair  (Read 167699 times)
Rev. Jade
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Preacher of Ancient Ways, Captain of S.S. Mjöllnir

jadedhero1331
« Reply #1125 on: August 15, 2013, 09:47:03 am »

I have to say that my taste in facial hair is far more connected with my love of the Norse than it is from steampunk.
As such, I am well on my way to having a full-on Viking beard.
It also helps that I am far too lazy to shave on a regular basis.

Keeper of the Watchhouse at the Edge of the World

Come talk brewing with us over at The Brewers' Guild!
Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1126 on: August 15, 2013, 04:49:14 pm »

Scraping a sharpened piece of steel across your face is a barbaric habit.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1127 on: August 15, 2013, 04:52:31 pm »

That's why I use brass...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #1128 on: August 15, 2013, 08:26:43 pm »

Scraping a sharpened piece of steel across your face is a barbaric habit.

Would you call Alexander The Great 'a barbarian'?

Alexander the Great strongly promoted shaving during his reign in the 4th century BC to avoid "dangerous beard-grabbing in combat", and because he believed it looked tidier.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Lachlan_MacAuslander
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1129 on: August 22, 2013, 11:05:30 pm »

Hm. I supposed I should contribute, as well... This was taken last year, but it's a representative image.

I'm beginning to play with mustache wax. I've got a bit of scar tissue on one side, so it's a bit uneven if I just grow it out willy-nilly, so since I have to engage in regular maintenance anyway, might as well have a bit of fun with it, no?
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Take my camel, dear. . . .

« Reply #1130 on: August 29, 2013, 01:42:08 am »

Dear Sirs,
I wonder, have you ever seen a Sikh beard net?
As you know, Sikhs are supposed never to cut their hair. I think the bundling of hair in knobs under turbans, and the rolling-up of beards in nets, is to prevent grabbing in battle.
The first time I saw one, I thought the poor fellow had had his throat cut, and the black line where the net showed was a scar.
The effect is quite masculine, however.
C.W.
P.S. There are also sanitary beard covers - quite a fashion statement!
http://www.harmonycr.com/Beard-Covers-s/78.htm
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 01:46:40 am by Camellia Wingnut » Logged

Take my camel, dear, said my aunt Camellia, climbing down from that animal on her return from high mass. The camel, a white Arabian Dhalur (single hump) from the famous herd of the Ruola tribe, had been a parting present, its saddle-bags stuffed with low-carat [sic] gold and flashy orient gems, from a rich desert tycoon. . . .
Rev. Jade
Zeppelin Captain

jadedhero1331
« Reply #1131 on: September 03, 2013, 10:06:03 pm »

Ah yes, sanitary beard covers...
They were the main reason I quit working in a deli.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #1132 on: November 04, 2013, 01:23:41 pm »

Now this is commitment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23687651

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #1133 on: November 04, 2013, 02:01:36 pm »

He'll have someone's eye out with that  Grin

"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #1134 on: November 04, 2013, 02:53:16 pm »

Hmm, or someone might have his out.  Undecided

I don't think I'd risk my life and family for the pleasure of wearing a moustache personally. I certainly admire his guts but I dunno. I'm not much of a fan of the Taliban, I think if they ever took over my area I'd feel a strong urge for fight or flight.

It's a strange deal with moustaches though, and what they represent to certain people. I only found out fairly recently for example why the Amish wear those curious chin curtains of theirs. They believe a man should grow a beard when he's married, but they are pacifists, and moustaches historically have a connection to the military, hence they shave their top lips.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #1135 on: November 04, 2013, 07:25:26 pm »

I believe that in the Indian (or Pakistani) Army..or is it the Police? (I really should habve checked this..) it is compulsory for those above the rank of Sergeant to have a moustache..the bigger the better. But don't quote me on that.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #1136 on: December 15, 2013, 12:45:49 am »

I believe that in the Indian (or Pakistani) Army..or is it the Police? (I really should habve checked this..) it is compulsory for those above the rank of Sergeant to have a moustache..the bigger the better. But don't quote me on that.

Well according to the 'reliable' forum of Mr Stephen Fry on the BBC's most excellent QI the Indian police (it may depend on the province/state) are willing to pay a Policeman and extra 5 rupees per day to grow a mustache since mustaches/facial hair (generally the bigger/longer) as mustaches are seen as a sign as a sign of virility/manliness (actually being the reason for the adoption of the Mustache into the British Military due the tendency of the East India Company of appointing British officers to command Sepoy units).

Actually, according to information from a 'personal friend' who traveled a great deal in his youth, men without mustaches/facial hair are almost NEVER seen outside of Western Europe (anywhere west of Cyprus almost EVERYMAN has a mustache and or beard).

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #1137 on: December 15, 2013, 04:41:59 am »

Ah, how the mighty have fallen...Kudos to the Indian/Pakistani Military/Police...
I work tattooing in DC (also, I'm apparently a broken record), thus Pentagon, thus the American Military is nigh part of my daily life.  And the poor boys, they've complaints this way and that about tattoo restrictions (towards which, of course, I'm empathetic, and not necessarily altruistically), but worse, the complaints about facial hair restrictions.  In the U.S. military and, to my admittedly limited knowledge, the majority of the various State Police forces, nothing is allowed in these realms aside from the intentionally ambiguous "well-groomed moustache".  I suppose there's one exception:  Submariners are allowed a beard, but only whilst on the actual submarine.

Regardless, these rules suck.  I look at photographs from the American Civil War and all of their creative, well-groomed but individualistic facial-hair coiffures and wonder, essentially, "why the hell not?"

Is one less likely to follow orders, to fight or die for one's country, or in any way less-a-soldier because of ink and beard?

Dumb.

Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.
Rev. Jade
Zeppelin Captain

jadedhero1331
« Reply #1138 on: December 15, 2013, 07:03:21 am »

Ah, how the mighty have fallen...Kudos to the Indian/Pakistani Military/Police...
I work tattooing in DC (also, I'm apparently a broken record), thus Pentagon, thus the American Military is nigh part of my daily life.  And the poor boys, they've complaints this way and that about tattoo restrictions (towards which, of course, I'm empathetic, and not necessarily altruistically), but worse, the complaints about facial hair restrictions.  In the U.S. military and, to my admittedly limited knowledge, the majority of the various State Police forces, nothing is allowed in these realms aside from the intentionally ambiguous "well-groomed moustache".  I suppose there's one exception:  Submariners are allowed a beard, but only whilst on the actual submarine.

Regardless, these rules suck.  I look at photographs from the American Civil War and all of their creative, well-groomed but individualistic facial-hair coiffures and wonder, essentially, "why the hell not?"

Is one less likely to follow orders, to fight or die for one's country, or in any way less-a-soldier because of ink and beard?

Dumb.

Well the reason that beards and facial hair aren't allowed in the US military anymore is because a gas mask cannot get a complete seal if there is facial hair in the way.
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #1139 on: December 15, 2013, 08:08:17 am »

Speaking of beards, in the process of growing my first full beard.

My wife LOVES it thus far, and I've got to say, it does make me look...  Well, older, more distinguished, and just damn sexy!

Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1140 on: December 15, 2013, 10:37:25 am »

My Dears,
The Victorians had a saying: To kiss a man without a moustache is like eating a boiled egg without salt.
Discuss.
C.W.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #1141 on: December 15, 2013, 10:43:04 am »

My Dears,
The Victorians had a saying: To kiss a man without a moustache is like eating a boiled egg without salt.
Discuss.
C.W.

There's another 'quote' that I use on another forum " A man without a moustache is like tea without sugar"
Duellist
Zeppelin Captain

Gravatar

Toymaker, Storyteller, Captain of the Acheron

AnthonyHJ
« Reply #1142 on: December 15, 2013, 12:13:50 pm »

Well the reason that beards and facial hair aren't allowed in the US military anymore is because a gas mask cannot get a complete seal if there is facial hair in the way.
I'm told that the RAF allows anything that will not interfere with the seal of a mask (so no handlebar moustaches, sadly) within reason and the USAF just has a blanket ban on facial hair. I am not sure about the other branches of Her Majesty's armed forces, but I think I remember someone saying that HM Navy officers earn the right to a beard at a certain rank, but with the same 'gas mask' template for beard coverage.

Some are born strange, some attain strangeness, and some have strangeness thrust upon them.
Madasasteamfish
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #1143 on: December 15, 2013, 12:38:29 pm »

I'm told that the RAF allows anything that will not interfere with the seal of a mask (so no handlebar moustaches, sadly) within reason and the USAF just has a blanket ban on facial hair. I am not sure about the other branches of Her Majesty's armed forces, but I think I remember someone saying that HM Navy officers earn the right to a beard at a certain rank, but with the same 'gas mask' template for beard coverage.

If I remember rightly the Brylcream boys are allowed a mustache (provided they have their CO's permission) that does not extend beyond the corners of the mouth (again so it doesn't interfere with the seal of their oxygen masks), and the RN remains the only branch of HM armed forces that permits it's members to grow beards (other than operational allowances made by the Army).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 11:47:13 pm by Madasasteamfish » Logged
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #1144 on: December 15, 2013, 06:09:23 pm »

If I remember rightly the Brylcream boys are allowed a mustache (provided they have their CO's permission) that died not extend beyond the corners of the mouth (again so it doesn't interfere with the seal of their oxygen masks), and the RN remains the only branch of HM armed forcesv that Penis
it's members to grow beards (other than operational allowances).

PLEASE tell me that's an autocorrect mistake...
Madasasteamfish
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #1145 on: December 15, 2013, 06:14:35 pm »

If I remember rightly the Brylcream boys are allowed a mustache (provided they have their CO's permission) that died not extend beyond the corners of the mouth (again so it doesn't interfere with the seal of their oxygen masks), and the RN remains the only branch of HM armed forcesv that Penis
it's members to grow beards (other than operational allowances).

PLEASE tell me that's an autocorrect mistake...

OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD! YES IT IS. Corrected.
Ceir
Officer

« Reply #1146 on: December 15, 2013, 06:29:23 pm »

A brief note, albiet belated, from the recent cold snap - there is nothing quite so strange as the sensation of feeling one's mustache freeze.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #1147 on: December 15, 2013, 06:42:58 pm »

As a woman I can't do a direct comparison but I have had damp hair freeze and start clinking as I walked and once my nasal hair froze, really weird sensations.
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #1148 on: December 15, 2013, 10:44:46 pm »

Condensation in your tache isn't particularly nice either.

However.....

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1149 on: December 18, 2013, 11:36:02 pm »

My Dear Fellows,
A souvenir of the old-fashioned sport of Moustache Tweaking, 1907, and rather handsome lads, too.
Courtesy of Retronaut.
C.W.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: