Author Topic: Steampunk Horologia Festival- National Watch & Clock Museum  (Read 2561 times)

D.Oakes

• Zeppelin Admiral
Re: Steampunk Horologia Festival- National Watch & Clock Museum
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2011, 04:47:26 pm »
Good heavens!

I know that flooding was quite devastating in many areas of the Susquehanna Valley. I did not mean to imply that the entire town of Columbia had been spared, given its proximity to the river. However, I haven't seen any announcement regarding the cancellation or delay of the Holologia Festival. Do you live close enough to the Museum itself to tell if it was damaged in the flash flooding? Perhaps I shall email the Museum and inquire.

I hope that you, your loved ones, and your abode were largely unscathed by the flood waters.

Regards.

No, the watch museum is fine as far as I know.  That is outside my house. 

Unfortunately, I will not be attending any longer, and neither will Mr.Arm's Traveling creep show....   :'( We can't afford to make the trip. I feel so awful. I was really looking forward to this...

Rats. 

I need to look into it, but as of now I believe the main road I'd use to get to Columbia is still out as it hugs the river most of the way. 
"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler

Madame Curatrix

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2011, 02:31:46 pm »
Just received an email response from the Museum and they assure me that the building has fortunately not suffered any damage from flooding and that the Horologia Festival will take place as scheduled. :)

Not that I doubted our good Mr. Oakes' assertion, but it's good to get confirmation from the event organizers themselves.

D.Oakes

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2011, 11:53:08 am »
So...everything is back on track and my friend (BG member Mattock) who was providing the transport as he has a truck...GOT IN AN ACCIDENT!  I'm taking this as a sign considering 3 things have already occurred.  At this point I am trying to figure out which one of my friends I can talk into going so I can at least attend.  (I don't drive and needless to say when it comes time to pay bills, it is a good feeling....except when I need to get somewhere that is not within walking distance or directly connected to a train route) 

D.Oakes

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2011, 10:48:48 am »
Alright, I AM COMING!  Not vending, but I will be there!  And Mattock will be there, I think I may have to replace one of his eyes and possibly his neck, I'm not entirely sure at the moment.   ;D

markf

• Goggleologist
    • Steampunk and Retrofuture Designs of Maryland
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2011, 11:33:57 am »
If you see my steampunk Smart car in the parking lot, stop by in the museum and say hi.  I'll be the one with the Sherlock Holmes umbrella/walking stick.  markf
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4108/5071220339_aa9c3b5b62_z.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3128/3151256869_f47772ec83.jpg
US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd

markf

• Goggleologist
    • Steampunk and Retrofuture Designs of Maryland
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2011, 08:13:42 pm »
The event was very nice, quite interesting.  The place was more crowded than expected, by the time I got there at 12:50 I took 1 of the 2 remaining parking spaces.  I saw a number of out of state license plates, including NJ, NY, and VA.  A small number of (obviously) steampunk fans were there too to see the fashion show, the steamy artists' exhibits and the small number of vendors selling odds & ends maker/crafts bits.  

The museum itself was considerably larger than it appears from a casual glance of the outside of the building.  They have a life size replica of a turn of the century watch/clock repair shop, and there are countless thousands of watch & clock examples on exhibit.  Armed with iphone and autostitch app at hand, I pasted together a small number of panoramas and indiivdual pix below. This place should be on your must-see list of sights in PA. markf
http://www.nawcc.org/index.php/museumlibrary
:

D.Oakes

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2011, 08:24:17 pm »
And your car was awesome!  Mattock is still talking about it.  When I explained the picture you posted he was like a little kid who was waiting to go to the mall to see Santa.  He'd never been to anything of the sort.  Luckily I did not take my other friend who is three times his age or I'd have needed to have two of those leashes parents put on kids.   ;D  I was disappointed in that I thought we'd have more representation from the scene.  The ball the night before looked like it was packed from the pictures I have seen.  The good thing was, I was confronted by a lot of "normal" people who were interested in the movement and were considering joining.  I was going down to that thing outside of Baltimore today, but I have too much work to do, the clocks inspired me. 

Madame Curatrix

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2011, 09:07:48 pm »
I wish I could have gone. There was originally a group of about four or five of us who were planning on making it to the event, but a variety of unrelated circumstances intervened that made us decide to scrap the trip.

I'm glad to see that a good time was had by those who did attend; Mark, thank you for those photos of the museum - looks like a very nice collection is housed there. Mr. Oakes, your attire was quite good and it's great to hear that the 'mundanes' were interested in the scene. Do you have a link to photos of the Friday night Ball? I'd like to see some of those.

D.Oakes

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2011, 09:14:49 pm »
I wish I could have gone. There was originally a group of about four or five of us who were planning on making it to the event, but a variety of unrelated circumstances intervened that made us decide to scrap the trip.

I'm glad to see that a good time was had by those who did attend; Mark, thank you for those photos of the museum - looks like a very nice collection is housed there. Mr. Oakes, your attire was quite good and it's great to hear that the 'mundanes' were interested in the scene. Do you have a link to photos of the Friday night Ball? I'd like to see some of those.

If we were to do 6 degrees of separation: His name starts with in "R."  I hope him and I having college drama was not part of it.   ;D  I hope it was not because I had a whole forgiveness speech planned.   ;D  (I am actually serious)

I didn't go to the ball, but one of the vendors who is actually friends with the artist that first accused me of being Steampunk has some.  When I saw the pics I could not believe how many of us there were but did not show up during the day.  The last I heard we weren't Vampires.   ;D  (even though I am so bummed I can't get a room for the Vampire's Ball in NOLA) 

D.Oakes

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2011, 09:23:30 pm »
Here are my pics:  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10101531580312664.3660539.9386992

I loved that French figurative clock.  That was something that if it had any price tag I'd have sold my soul for.   ;D

Madame Curatrix

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2011, 12:27:02 am »
If we were to do 6 degrees of separation: His name starts with in "R."  I hope him and I having college drama was not part of it.   ;D  I hope it was not because I had a whole forgiveness speech planned.   ;D  (I am actually serious)

I didn't go to the ball, but one of the vendors who is actually friends with the artist that first accused me of being Steampunk has some.  When I saw the pics I could not believe how many of us there were but did not show up during the day. 

Mr. Oakes, it seems that we have a mutual acquaintance, and I for one am quite glad that you two appear to have reconciled your past differences. :)

I suspect that many Steampunks didn't stay for the Saturday events because of the added expense of booking lodgings for the night. For my part, I was more interested in Saturday to begin with; song and dance is all well and good, but I do so enjoy the history, artifacts, and craftworks end of the genre.

Regards.

D.Oakes

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2011, 12:40:45 am »
Being the local person people turn to on the artifact level, I was pleased I only got one question.   ;D  In fact you just reminded of an email I need to send.  Haha.  I really am bummed I missed the dancing and the wine.  Who was the vineyard a friend of mine didn't look so my curiosity has intensified as he said it was good? 

Polaris

• Snr. Officer
  • "You again?! What are you? The Plague?"
    • Steel City Steam Guild
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2011, 05:24:59 pm »
 :'(

*sob* I'm so unhappy that I missed it....
"Then the Gods of the Market tumbled, and their smooth-tongued wizards withdrew
And the hearts of the meanest were humbled and began to believe it was true
That all is not gold that glitters, and two and two make four
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings limped up to explain it once more."~Kipling; 1919