The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 31, 2014, 06:23:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum highlights on twitter: @BG_couk

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: This poll has long expired.  Thank you for your input.  The Asylum 2012 is now taking bookings.  (Voting closed: September 07, 2011, 07:01:40 pm)
Friday Night Soiree and Party - 32 (13.5%)
Friday Music Night (Punk & Rock) - 11 (4.6%)
Friday Night Gentle Music Night - 7 (3%)
Friday Night Late Comedy Night - 29 (12.2%)
Saturday Ball (with supper) - 40 (16.9%)
Saturday Late Ball + Headline Band - 7 (3%)
Saturday Night Music Night (Punk & Rock) - 8 (3.4%)
Saturday Night Music Night (Goth & Electro) - 3 (1.3%)
Dead Dog Sunday Night - 33 (13.9%)
Thursday Night Party with entertainment - 18 (7.6%)
COUNTER - ALL MUST TICK HERE - 49 (20.7%)
Total Voters: 50

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WEEKEND AT THE ASYLUM 2012  (Read 4456 times)
Jarrett
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Makes everything pink by osmosis

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2011, 05:07:08 pm »

I would definately be interested in seeing a burlesque show, Hell if I were less chubby I'd volunteer to do one for you Tongue
ladyelsie
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2011, 05:14:26 pm »

Children at The Asylum is always a sticky one. While we have met some very well behaved Coglings, and have allowed some of them to the Ball/evening features. We do have to keep within the law. re children in rooms where there are bars etc.

It is very nice to send them off to Granny's/Aunties/ Friends for a weekend to be spoilt rotton and have a weekend of grown up fun.

When my darlings were little I was lucky enough to send them off a couple of times a year , but had then to have my newphew in return, twice. I had two and my sister only had the one child. I do know not everyone is lucky to be able to do this.

If there is demand for a teen event and it covers costs we will have a look at it. What would you like to do. ?? It may also be of interest to some older 'teens'.

Having run a Nursery, and being an adviser to Parliament on under 8's the idea of a mobile creche does appeal, but again the cost is quite high. And the red tape and licensing can be a nightmare. I looked at a mobile bussines that offers this service and the cost per child was from £25  for 90 Min's . More for an entertainer. Some bigger conventions have done this although it was for a limitted time during the day.

We will keep looking at this and hopefully someone will come up with the perfect solution.
Mimsy Beaucoup
Zeppelin Admiral

interests: Corsets, hats, shoes, parasols

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2011, 05:17:46 pm »

I would definately be interested in seeing a burlesque show, Hell if I were less chubby I'd volunteer to do one for you Tongue

One doens't need to be slim to do burlesque...just confident! I have seen many lovely burlesque artists thin and not so thin, hell i have done it and I am not slim!

Jarrett
Officer

Makes everything pink by osmosis

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2011, 05:37:51 pm »

The confidence is an issue too Tongue
SteamBlast Mary
Rogue Ætherlord

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2011, 05:40:43 pm »

Voted. Difficult to choose, but I've gone for the options that are harder to replicate outside the Asylum (i.e. there's chance to see quality comedy or bands* several times a year but there is only one Empire Ball.)

Let's face it, the Major and Elsie could list a "Let's poke badgers with spoons" evening and it would be a sell-out. (and with their planning and the Bon Homme of a Steampunk audience, it would probably be a smashing evening, too.)

*Comedians and musicians: that is not to say we have chance to see you ENOUGH. Get more gigs lines up! There's people out here wanting you to part them from their hard-earned cash, you know.

'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night’
TimeTinker
Immortal

Steampunk Facilitator MVSS

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2011, 05:52:07 pm »

Thanks for the confidence SB Mary - scary as it is.

May I use the title "Poking badgers with spoons" for the "Talk to Tinker about next year's Asylum" programme item for Sunday at Asylum 2011?

I think the Memsahib also plans to use it for the "Post-Dead-Dog-Staff-Get-Wasted-Party" Sunday night, bring your own badger - spoons supplied Smiley

BE SPLENDID!
SteamBlast Mary
Rogue Ætherlord

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2011, 05:54:18 pm »

I have unleashed a monster...
Angelica Needle
Zeppelin Captain

Navigator & Mechanic: RD Susurrus

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2011, 05:56:49 pm »

Is the poll locked once you've voted? Only I'm on our Tab, and it misclicked when I went to vote on the counter & submitted instead, and I can't see any option to change my vote. Sorry Sad That's one more in counter.
If the vote is changeable, maybe I just don't have the option in Android, so will do it next time I switch the computer on.

I haven't voted for Thursday/Sunday options as I'd prefer something more fluid - I'm not bothered about organised entertainment & would prefer to be able to chat to people.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 06:10:10 pm by Angelica Needle » Logged

The sound of the gentle rattle of china cup on china saucer drives away all demons, a little-known fact.
Terry Pratchett, Snuff
darkshines
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2011, 06:17:12 pm »

Ok, ok, I'll burlesque dance for free if it makes things easier!

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
TimeTinker
Immortal

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2011, 06:21:25 pm »

I have unleashed a monster...

Quick - we need bigger spoons! Grin

Sorry Angelica it seems that you cannot actually change your vote even though I thought I had set the options that way. (I can't find a way to change it.)  The trends are proving very helpful however.
TimeTinker
Immortal

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2011, 06:24:23 pm »

That is really nice of you ma'am and I am sure there is now many a gentleman needing a brandy at the thought as their pulses race.

As a minimum we offer free passes to performers or payment.  It is only fair after all. (Fancy debuting this year at the Soiree?)
Mrs Turner
Gunner

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2011, 06:24:30 pm »

Ok I read through it 3 times before voting, so I hope I got it right!  Tongue
I am looking forward to next years Asylum as I was unable to make it this year.
darkshines
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2011, 06:28:29 pm »

That is really nice of you ma'am and I am sure there is now many a gentleman needing a brandy at the thought as their pulses race.

As a minimum we offer free passes to performers or payment.  It is only fair after all. (Fancy debuting this year at the Soiree?)

I asked Mr C and he said "hell for a free pass I'LL do a burlesque dance!". Somehow I don't think he would look so good in my sequin pasties and merkin.....
Mimsy Beaucoup
Zeppelin Admiral

interests: Corsets, hats, shoes, parasols

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2011, 06:29:53 pm »

That is two blokes that have offered! Not enough boylesque around, get 'em on...or off should that be? LOL!

ladyelsie
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2011, 06:33:37 pm »

J.C.M.Rob and Mr C, on the same bill. Oh my... pass the smelling salts Major and a stiff Gin.....
SteamBlast Mary
Rogue Ætherlord

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2011, 06:34:05 pm »

I'll be polishing my opera glasses in anticipation.

As others have said, a Burlesque act or two as part of the Soiree would be a treat, but a whole evening/event of it? Hmm. It does wear thin fairly quickly. Much better as part a variety performance.
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Master Tinkerer

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2011, 06:40:30 pm »

A Wilson Kepple and Betty themed burlesque? Strategic use of Fez would definietly win over the crowd.

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
darkshines
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2011, 06:49:14 pm »

There were a couple of naughtier acts at The Waltz, a stripper and a dancer, and I can't see why I couldn't do that. I can even carry a tune! As long as its jazz, I can't sing anything else..... Hmmm, some sultry 1920s jazz......
The Governess
Zeppelin Overlord
England England

cooke_lm
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2011, 10:55:04 pm »

I have voted. The world may breathe again.

re: Burlesque. I do really like burlesque- when it's done well. A good example is the Candy Box in B'ham, which featured Imelda May as vocalist, a great  (numerous!) band, and two hour plus of great acts (the Markee de Saw got no kit off whatsoever, but played  the saw and sang in an aethereal way).
However, not all are anywhere near this standard, and dodgy burlesque is quite, well, dodgy.

While I'm happy to pay for the classy stuff, I understand The Major's points about funding, and it may be that a lower cost would yield lower quality, thus becoming a self-excluding event...

CRIMSON CLOCKS
Crimson in tooth and claw, we disdain (pah!) all attempts to neatly categorise us.
Lugubrious lyrics sung sadistically over trouser trembling bass beats and relentless drums in the deep, all washed down with lashings of vivacious violin and orpheic oboe...
The Crimson Hour is close at hand
www.facebook.com/CrimsonClocks
www.CrimsonClocks.com
http://crimsonclocks.blogspot.co.uk
Esme Moore
Zeppelin Captain

amateur retrophrenologist

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2011, 11:20:37 pm »

I've voted, and with much the same rationale as SB Mary.

Not fussed about burlesque personally, I'd rather a music hall evening, a la 'The Good Old Days' as was on TV.  A bit of variety, kind of thing. As for street performers, I agree entirely, Major - if they're good enough, they'll make money busking.  A good classical guitarist or lutenist that entraces me can expect to find themselves on the receiving end of a couple of quid from me.. - heck, even a decent piper can expect something from me, so long as they play some decent tunes and not the usual rubbish most street pipers play.

Hmmn.. I was just thinking.. if one of the bars at the event had a piano that suitably talented patrons could play available, a bit of a sing-song around a piano could prove an interesting bit of imprompty DIY entertainment, too, perhaps?
Elisheva Cog
Officer

« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2011, 11:55:38 am »

The Cogs have voted.   

Blimey!  That is what I call organisation.  Just as a comment and merely my own opinion : I think we have been given more than ample events without the need for anything  new!  Shocked   We do want The Major and his Lady to keep their sanity!
Just call me Rob
Zeppelin Overlord

Captain: RD Susurrus

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2011, 12:02:53 pm »

We do want The Major and his Lady to keep their sanity!

Isn't it a bit late for that?

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting aiw kwacken.
TimeTinker
Immortal

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2011, 12:33:27 pm »

Blimey!  That is what I call organisation.  Just as a comment and merely my own opinion : I think we have been given more than ample events without the need for anything  new!  Shocked 

Thanks for the kind words. 

We are having to look at new features though in order to increase capacity.  I must point out that we are not trying to grow just for the sake of it however.  It is not about simply being the biggest.  The objective is accessibility.

We do not want steampunk to become elitist and cliquey.  It's true strength lies in the welcome that people receive and the positive nature of the social interactions.  We have to find ways that mean newcomers to the community can attend this focal event and add their own creativity to the whole.

Since the venues are limited in capacity (we are OK for the moment for day features) we are having to look at multiple events for the evenings (as well as ensuring there are venues for folks who just want to hang out and chat etc).  It would not feel right to have two balls for example, since this could be divisive,  but having a variety of features increases choice and capacity hand in hand.  This is our plan.

We are delighted with the University accomodation being available this year.  We have been working towards it coming online for next year.  This and a new major hotel in Lincoln means there are a further 600 beds available for 2012.  We are also trying to organise a temporary site for caravans/motorhomes up near The Asylum (sorry but tents are proving to be more difficult).

Ideas and suggestions are fine but please try to stop and think for a minute before you post. The ideas need to be for things we can find venues for, set up, organise and market.  Impromptu features etc are for you guys to arrange with your friends and are not the remit of this thread.  Ideas need to be:

1. Legal  (Not as silly as it sounds - think about licensing, health and safety etc)
2. STEAMPUNK!   You can go to other events for other features.  This is our weekend for steampunk.  We only get the one huge event a year - let's not waste any of it.
3. Financially viable  (We have come a long way from when the memsahib and I signed the deposit cheques of our own savings with the words - can we really afford to lose 5 grand if this all goes wrong?)
4. Popular enough that they will be pretty full (otherwise other Asylum goers end up subsidising your pet feature)
5. Logistically practical. 

I hope this post helps people to understand.  I will continue to respond to ideas but having an overview of how we have to look at things may help your thought processes.

Meanwhile - keep voting.

Thanks.
TimeTinker
Immortal

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2011, 12:36:37 pm »

By the way - it looks like we need an alternative idea for Saturday night.

Suggestions please:  An event that will attract around 100 -150 people?
aligov
Officer

Gravatar

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2011, 12:53:44 pm »

I've voted, and with much the same rationale as SB Mary.

Not fussed about burlesque personally, I'd rather a music hall evening, a la 'The Good Old Days' as was on TV.  A bit of variety, kind of thing. As for street performers, I agree entirely, Major - if they're good enough, they'll make money busking.  A good classical guitarist or lutenist that entraces me can expect to find themselves on the receiving end of a couple of quid from me.. - heck, even a decent piper can expect something from me, so long as they play some decent tunes and not the usual rubbish most street pipers play.

Hmmn.. I was just thinking.. if one of the bars at the event had a piano that suitably talented patrons could play available, a bit of a sing-song around a piano could prove an interesting bit of imprompty DIY entertainment, too, perhaps?

By the way - it looks like we need an alternative idea for Saturday night.

Suggestions please:  An event that will attract around 100 -150 people?

Music hall sounds great...variety acts etc  Wilson Kepple and Betty and the like.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: