The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 01, 2014, 05:04:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Official Facebook page: Brass Goggles

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: This poll has long expired.  Thank you for your input.  The Asylum 2012 is now taking bookings.  (Voting closed: September 07, 2011, 07:01:40 pm)
Friday Night Soiree and Party - 32 (13.5%)
Friday Music Night (Punk & Rock) - 11 (4.6%)
Friday Night Gentle Music Night - 7 (3%)
Friday Night Late Comedy Night - 29 (12.2%)
Saturday Ball (with supper) - 40 (16.9%)
Saturday Late Ball + Headline Band - 7 (3%)
Saturday Night Music Night (Punk & Rock) - 8 (3.4%)
Saturday Night Music Night (Goth & Electro) - 3 (1.3%)
Dead Dog Sunday Night - 33 (13.9%)
Thursday Night Party with entertainment - 18 (7.6%)
COUNTER - ALL MUST TICK HERE - 49 (20.7%)
Total Voters: 50

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WEEKEND AT THE ASYLUM 2012  (Read 4564 times)
Capt. Dirigible
Time Traveler
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2011, 04:10:43 pm »

Well..they're called the Whisky Shop but they do all sorts of interesting spirits...

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
TimeTinker
Immortal

Steampunk Facilitator MVSS

« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2011, 04:19:27 pm »

For information: The Whisky shop has recently changed hands (i.e. a couple of weeks ago) with the retirement of the proprietors.

They do stock lots of interesting spirits and a first class array of gin.

We did run a very popular gin tasting at the canadian national steampunk exhibition earlier this year.

We are looking at the possibility of organising one for The Asylum 2012.

BE SPLENDID!
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Time Traveler

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2011, 04:28:16 pm »

Although their speciality is whiskey, they do a fine selection of spirits, including Hendricks Gin.

I wonder if they do Kraken Rum?

Major Willoughby Chase
Zeppelin Overlord

Awesomologist

« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2011, 04:45:39 pm »

If I remember correctly they do Ginger Tams, the cheeky little number I had in my hip flask at The Barbican.

Like the forum, why not support us?  For just $3/month you can help keep this forum running there are no special benefits at all, just a warm glow in your heart.
TimeTinker
Immortal

Steampunk Facilitator MVSS

« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2011, 05:34:27 pm »

Although their speciality is whiskey, they do a fine selection of spirits, including Hendricks Gin.

I wonder if they do Kraken Rum?

We have been talking to the Kraken people.  Unfortunately they did not have enough stock to come to the Asylum this year but they are interested for 2012 (and indeed for other smaller events).
Count Rostov
Officer

count_rostov
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2011, 06:52:57 pm »

We have been talking to the Kraken people.  Unfortunately they did not have enough stock to come to the Asylum this year

Ah - so they know our reputation then!

"The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions."
- Dostoevsky
ladyraygun
Snr. Officer

« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2011, 12:39:42 pm »

I haven't read the whole thread (sorry) as i have to rush out now and will probably forget, but those who want music but quiet enough to talk over (includes me as i had no voice for two days afterwards) what about a "78 dj session?" I'm not sure if there is anyone who does this professionally or whether someone from the community could do this, but we could have 78s on a horn gramophone, combined with some other light/quiet ents or nibbles ? Just a suggestion.

Also how about (in terms of "busking") reviving sax at the asylum, or having me walk around with a pan and battery amp. ? I coul d'punk it up so it looks nice too. Maybe for charity?
 must rush now.. all the best Rx

What would Hugo do?
Herr Döktor
Governor
Time Traveler

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #107 on: September 17, 2011, 12:57:06 pm »

I haven't read the whole thread (sorry) as i have to rush out now and will probably forget, but those who want music but quiet enough to talk over (includes me as i had no voice for two days afterwards) what about a "78 dj session?" I'm not sure if there is anyone who does this professionally or whether someone from the community could do this, but we could have 78s on a horn gramophone, combined with some other light/quiet ents or nibbles ? Just a suggestion.

Also how about (in terms of "busking") reviving sax at the asylum, or having me walk around with a pan and battery amp. ? I coul d'punk it up so it looks nice too. Maybe for charity?
 must rush now.. all the best Rx

Shellac Sisters:

http://shellacsisters.co.uk/

Wink
Rockula
Immortal

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2011, 02:08:19 pm »

I don't have any actual 78's but I do have a massive collection of vintage material (1880's - 1930's, music boxes, piano rolls, wax discs, shellac..) that has been converted to the new fangled CD and mp3 things. If anybody would like me to I could 'compose' some collections that could be played (at low volume if required obviously) anywhere there happens to be a CD player.
 I also have a large collection of what I regard as 'Steampunk Friendly' music which I usually refer to as my 'Quirks, Strangeness & Charm' collection.

Just let me know. I was a DJ but haven't used my equipment for a few years since venues started employing so-called 'DJ's' that just use a laptop.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Herr Döktor
Governor
Time Traveler

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #109 on: September 17, 2011, 03:33:12 pm »

Now I DO have a pile of 78s, along with plenty of "old" tunes and "old" style tunes (20s-30s stuff- Graham Dalby and the Gramophones, Pasedena Roof Orchestra, Temperance seven, classics from the jazz age, etc) as well as two wind up gramophones, one with a soundbox built into the cabinet, and one with the horn, although that one is a rusty Indian copy, I only really wanted to get the horn.
 Wink

We may have to have a chat, Rockula!

Cheesy
Capt. Dirigible
Time Traveler

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2011, 06:09:19 pm »

I only really wanted to get the horn.

ladyraygun
Snr. Officer

« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2011, 06:29:26 pm »

Facepalm. Trust you Ian.
Herr Döktor
Governor
Time Traveler

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2011, 06:31:13 pm »

Who, me?

Cheesy
ladyraygun
Snr. Officer

« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2011, 06:34:07 pm »

Shellac Sister look great - but are they expensive? Couldn't we do this ourselves?
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Master Tinkerer

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #114 on: September 18, 2011, 12:04:05 am »

I only really wanted to get the horn.

Derek and Clive Live!

I did discuss with Herr Doktor the possibility of putting together a steampunk DJ turntable a couple of years ago, and started a thread to list 78's. I also have a 'rusty' indian gramophone and some 78's. The trick would be make something eminently portable.

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
Countessa Lenora
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

CountessaLenora
« Reply #115 on: September 18, 2011, 02:22:56 am »

Whatever you have planned for 2012 is just fine with us.  We're just pleased as punch to be finally attending!

Proud to be a Canadian Steampunk
marcus cudworth
Snr. Officer
England England

I believe because it is absurb.

« Reply #116 on: September 18, 2011, 12:54:59 pm »

Forget the 78s you need this chap:
[Max Raabe] Sex Bomb
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 01:16:33 pm by Herr Döktor » Logged
Herr Döktor
Governor
Time Traveler

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #117 on: September 18, 2011, 01:17:00 pm »

Fixed that for you Mr. Von Cudworth! Wink
Cubinoid
Zeppelin Overlord

Cubinoid and Tixia Loxtonian

cubinoid
« Reply #118 on: September 18, 2011, 01:56:32 pm »

I must say, that is the sort of thing that would make the Asylum balls swing.

We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:
Major Willoughby Chase
Zeppelin Overlord

Awesomologist

« Reply #119 on: September 18, 2011, 02:02:48 pm »

Equally I have big stacks of 78s, no idea how playable they are these days though.  Sadly I suspect Max Raabe would have the same problems as getting Caravan Palace, pricey because of the distance they'd have to travel.  *sigh* A shame as I'd love to see Caravan Palace over here.
Ms Pipistrelle
Snr. Officer

« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2011, 02:32:33 pm »

I do have several CDs by Mr Max Raabe and his Palast Orchestra - those attending the last Steampunk New Year will have heard some of them.
Zuzu
Snr. Officer
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2011, 02:40:10 pm »

Whatever you have planned for 2012 is just fine with us.  We're just pleased as punch to be finally attending!

ditto. just excited thinking we have a chance at a weekend pass this year let alone further entertainment. so will be delighted with whatever goes on offer.

"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."
greensteam
Zeppelin Overlord

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2011, 12:55:29 am »

Arriving terribly late to this excellent discussion and missed the poll entirely, so i have a lot of catching up to do.

Friday night offereings: I think the soiree didnt work quite so well this year as last: more short sets work better than fewer over long ones. Friday night might be a good time for the entertaining lecture suggested by someone in the discussion earlier (darkshines)> I have attended an excellent one some years ago on the topic of cryptozoology, that would be the sort of thing that would go down well with our sort of audiences.

Saturday night music options: I like the ball and noted that far more folks danced in the first half than the second. I think there would definitely be a strong audience for the quieter 'classical' musical evening type offering. Even tho the sound system was better this year, I still couldnt hear a word that the gentleman rhymer was saying, so that whole set was essentially wasted.

Coglings possibilities: if the cinema option is on, then an early evening showing of a suitably rated film, such as a Jules Verne, or a Carry On, would be suitable for those too young for the ball. Singsongs if kept clean as well as funny might also suit mixed age groups.
[On a personal note I am eternally grateful to the VSS for allowing Merlin to join the grown ups from the start: He and I have really appreciated the confidence that represented, albeit he is over tall to be called a cogling strictly speaking.]

On a more general note, will the headline bands for each separately ticketed bit be known at the time bookings open?

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
darkshines
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #123 on: September 19, 2011, 08:24:33 am »

I must say, your Merlin is an absolute treasure, he is polite, well mannered and can dance like a demon with its feet on fire! You did well there Smiley

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
marcus cudworth
Snr. Officer
England England

I believe because it is absurb.

« Reply #124 on: September 19, 2011, 04:29:45 pm »

Fixed that for you Mr. Von Cudworth! Wink

Thanks awfully
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: