Poll

Whats your desktop like?

Mac
83 (55.7%)
Linux
66 (44.3%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: Steampunk desktop themes: your screenshots  (Read 637161 times)

frabjous

• Gunner
  • ceci n'est pas une pomme
    • vorpalier dot net
Re: Steampunk desktop themes: your screenshots
« Reply #300 on: August 31, 2009, 08:14:46 am »
This thread is awesome for directing me to suitable icons :)

Spoiler: ShowHide
"I mean," she said, "that one can't help growing older."

"One can't perhaps," said Humpty Dumpty, "but two can. With the proper assistance, you might have left off at seven."

--Through the Looking Glass, Lewis Carroll

chicar

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #301 on: September 10, 2009, 01:24:34 am »
Here my present wallpaper:
http://fc01.deviantart.com/images3/i/2004/176/4/1/Desk_Texture.jpg

clever hey ?...hu..hu..hu.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 01:26:37 am by chicar »
The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''

vela

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Ask me about BLOCK 616
« Reply #302 on: September 10, 2009, 06:06:45 am »
I really like it, chicar.

-vela
If you spend your life as a parasite, then it is likely your offspring will follow suit.  Beware, they might turn on you. 
                -Ivan Drugostrov
           (The Parasite's Manifesto)

chicar

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #303 on: September 10, 2009, 04:34:34 pm »
I really like it, chicar.

-vela

Sound a little too polite to be true or this could be just me who wasn't really expecting commentary.

kurohone

• Deck Hand
« Reply #304 on: September 13, 2009, 01:01:49 pm »
Like a few others here I too joined so that I can share this and get some feedback on it:  WinXP with Windowblinds and Rainmeter.  most of it 'borrowed' from others...

Isabella Stormrift

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #305 on: September 24, 2009, 12:41:20 pm »
As I've seen many say, this thread was actually how I found this wondrous site. As such, I feel compelled to participate! I'm sure many of you will recognize many of the components, but I've done up a few things though the gruntwork myself, including a custom World of Warcraft icon.

Down my side dock we have: Finder, Dashboard, iTunes, Firefox, Adium, Skype, Photoshop, Comic Life Magiq, WoW, Ventrillo, Curse Client, Minion, Preview, Text Edit, and of course the Trash bin.

Adium, when I am logged in, shows a gauge indicating my status... however, it's far too "modern" looking for my taste- I'm still on the hunt or a fix. Photoshop is where most of my work gets done, so the desk was thematically appropriate to sitting down at my desk to work for the day, both at my computer and on it.

John_Maynard

• Deck Hand
    • Max haeDrOOM's modding island
« Reply #306 on: September 25, 2009, 03:05:33 pm »
Right desktop:

Left desktop:

Both Pictures are made at Duisburg. It is an old steelwork, which is nowadays illuminated colorful.

Ocelot

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #307 on: September 29, 2009, 01:25:44 pm »
I love the Enigma device in the corner Mr Maynard! :)
"It just...  Sort of...  Came off."

John_Maynard

• Deck Hand
    • Max haeDrOOM's modding island
« Reply #308 on: September 29, 2009, 01:56:50 pm »
This Enigma is from here: http://www.terrylong.org/ (it's only for Mac)

But I think, this one should run with Windows too: http://users.telenet.be/d.rijmenants/en/enigmasim.htm

k10w3

• Swab
« Reply #309 on: October 02, 2009, 07:00:15 pm »
Hi -

I'm new here.  For those of you with PC's, I created a Windowblinds skin that is Steampunk themed:  

You can download it for free here: http://www.wincustomize.com/skins.aspx?skinid=6961&libid=1&p=2 or here: http://k1ow3.deviantart.com/art/Steampunk-138677794, but you have to have Stardock Windowblinds (program) to apply the theme with.

The start menu is animated, as is the start button -- the gears move.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 07:02:22 pm by k10w3 »

Bryan Taylor

• Officer
« Reply #310 on: October 02, 2009, 10:44:41 pm »
k10w3, you've outdone yourself! Thank you.

Wells45

• Snr. Officer
    • Dieselpunk
« Reply #311 on: October 03, 2009, 08:00:33 pm »
k10w3, that's fantastic. Good work.
“We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.”  ~Carl Sagan

Prof. J. Odderwall Costom

• Officer
  • He of the Wunderkammer
    • The Wunderkammer of Professor Costom
« Reply #312 on: October 03, 2009, 09:40:48 pm »
So, I've a quick question for you Mac users out there: I know that there's a way to customize the appearance of Safari and those other sort of things that have the brushed aluminum look to them. I just can't remember which software one is supposed to use. I've already changed my app icons, using the Library icons set, and would like the rest of my comp to match. Thanks in advance.  :)

~J.
There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
~Shakespeare

http://ProfessorCostom.Blogspot.com

Isabella Stormrift

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #313 on: October 05, 2009, 09:56:17 am »
So, I've a quick question for you Mac users out there: I know that there's a way to customize the appearance of Safari and those other sort of things that have the brushed aluminum look to them. I just can't remember which software one is supposed to use. I've already changed my app icons, using the Library icons set, and would like the rest of my comp to match. Thanks in advance.  :)

~J.

That depends on which version you're running. Last I heard, I can't do it anymore because shapeshifter (the program I know of for such things) isn't compatible with Leopard.

mattig89ch

• Gunner
« Reply #314 on: October 06, 2009, 01:29:19 pm »
now how do I change the look and feel in vista to match this?

I'd like to start building my own theme in there, but its just a might difficult

oh, and first post.  woo
I believe that Steampunk is more than just brass and watchparts. It's finding a way to combine the past and the future in an aesthetic pleasing way. It's living a life that looks old-fashioned, yet speaks to the future.

Edwin Barrett Mudgewhack, at your service

Prof. J. Odderwall Costom

• Officer
  • He of the Wunderkammer
    • The Wunderkammer of Professor Costom
« Reply #315 on: October 06, 2009, 01:51:18 pm »

~J.

That depends on which version you're running. Last I heard, I can't do it anymore because shapeshifter (the program I know of for such things) isn't compatible with Leopard.

Ahh, yes, I've looked at Shapeshifter, but it is not Leopard compatible. I've sent a query to the company asking if they plan on making a leopard compatible version. We shall see... we shall see...

~J.

Isabella Stormrift

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #316 on: October 06, 2009, 02:50:46 pm »
I quite hope so. I'd love to trade in all that aluminum/steel look for some nice respectable wood or brass. *sighs wistfully*

Inktank

• Officer
« Reply #317 on: October 07, 2009, 01:26:52 am »

Modern world, I'm not pleased to meet you;
you just bring me down.

KeganKhaos

• Swab
« Reply #318 on: October 07, 2009, 03:42:16 am »
I feel as if i have to respond with my theme, this was it this morning

I have updated it a bit (Window blinds, rocket dock, winamp, and a few minor changes) but this should suffice for now. I did the theme colors and what not myself, background from google images, I have the Old Factory firefox theme, and I am currently using the Final Fantasy theme from Windows themselves for icons. I will work on the icons tomorrow, expect an update

KeganKhaos

• Swab
« Reply #319 on: October 07, 2009, 10:18:46 am »
okay so I got bored last night and finished updating everything except icons

It looks pretty slick, and really doesn't slow my netbook down so I really like it. I added the windowblinds theme from earlier in this thread along with a winamp skin. The dragon clock (along with two others) can be found here in case you don't know: http://brassgoggles.co.uk/blog/200611/three-crabfu-clocks . Also I added the rocket dock, its not super Steampunky but its a nice addition, and keeps me organized. All in all I'm very happy with this.

Inktank

• Officer
« Reply #320 on: October 07, 2009, 09:02:09 pm »

It looks pretty slick, and really doesn't slow my netbook down so I really like it. I added the windowblinds theme from earlier in this thread along with a winamp skin. The dragon clock (along with two others) can be found here in case you don't know: http://brassgoggles.co.uk/blog/200611/three-crabfu-clocks . Also I added the rocket dock, its not super Steampunky but its a nice addition, and keeps me organized. All in all I'm very happy with this.

Where does one find all of those? [links?]

KeganKhaos

• Swab
« Reply #321 on: October 09, 2009, 03:47:28 am »

Sorry for taking so long to respond!
Okay here we go:

If I missed anything tell me!

Inktank

• Officer
« Reply #322 on: October 09, 2009, 08:04:48 pm »

Sorry for taking so long to respond!
Okay here we go:

If I missed anything tell me!

Many thanks, my good man.  ;D

Mina

• Snr. Officer
  • Steampunk seraphim, femme fatale
    • Nonsensical Ramblings
« Reply #323 on: October 15, 2009, 12:00:28 am »
I've been browsing this thread and some of the things I've seen are wonderful!
I was wondering, though, if there was a steampunk-ish desktop theme for Linux, because I've recently switched to LinuxMint, and although it comes with a very nice wallpaper called steampunk (and I like it very much) I've looked at the themes and can't find a thing!
Come take my journey into night
    Come be my shadow, walk at my side
    And when you see all that I have seen
    Can you tell me love from pride?

Dr Blood

• Deck Hand
  • Time spent with cats is never wasted
    • Dr Blood's Video Vault
« Reply #324 on: October 20, 2009, 05:52:32 am »
Here's mine. Nothing very original but it works.

I speak cat fluently.